Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Morgana
Hmmm, that's probably the reason why I was suspicious of Martha. Ooops!
It's funny that this never came up. I was trying to leave the details a little vague, but I completely misses that misconception. I knew that Martha was only told about Lois's "prisoner" status after Martha was already locked in the apartment. I had no idea that the words left that point unclear. thumbsup

Hi, Mary wave

I think this is the fist I've see of you for this story. I'm glad you decided to take a look.
That ending was very unexpected, but you explained it very plausibly.
I was worried that I had left way too many clues along the way and that everyone would have seen the ending from as far back as chapter 7.

So, you posted the "evil May" challenge. You know this isn't my most evil idea, (my evil story idea #2 is way, way beyond this) but what did you think of my foray into the shadows?

Thanks for the note.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by bobbart:

[b] Hi, Mary
wave

I think this is the fist I've see of you for this story. I'm glad you decided to take a look.[/b]
You got me. blush I'd watched your posts with interest, but decided to wait until this one was finished and then read it all at once. I suspected that it was going to be one of those "Must Have Next Part ASAP" fics, and didn't want to have to be left hanging until the next post. Alas, I ended up hanging a couple times anyway, since things like sleep and RL got in the way of reading. <_<

So, you posted the "evil May" challenge. You know this isn't my most evil idea, (my evil story idea #2 is way, way beyond this) but what did you think of my foray into the shadows?
clap

Impressive, sir; impressive. Even though it clearly *had* to end happily (because it just had to), this was still very chilling. You obviously know how to do Dark. laugh

~•~
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Mary
You got me. I'd watched your posts with interest, but decided to wait until this one was finished and then read it all at once.
No worries. smile To be honest, knowing what I know about my publishing style -- the fact that I tend to post the whole story very quickly -- if the story looked to be angsty at all, I would probably wait for the end too. wink
Even though it clearly *had* to end happily (because it just had to), this was still very chilling.
The REAL story was always going to end this way. However, I had to fight off the temptation to post an alt-chapter 12 where, instead of Clark ending up immune to kryptonite, he had his powers burned out and Lex killed him. In that version, the brainwashing worked and Lois ended up being the exact Mrs. Luthor that Lex wanted. shock devil

Bob

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bobbart:
<strong> I had to fight off the temptation to post an alt-chapter 12 where, instead of Clark ending up immune to kryptonite, he had his powers burned out and Lex killed him. In that version, the brainwashing worked and Lois ended up being the exact Mrs. Luthor that Lex wanted. evil enough.

Framework4
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Framework4
You are just not evil enough.
rotflol Too true. rotflol
Even doing what I did here was a huge shock to my system. I have some of those ideas, but none of them ever seem to find their way out. cat
And they probably never will. wink

Bob

R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Just read this story. Quite good. The ending is potentially quite troubling though.

Superman with no vulnerabilities now? Superman is not a God and absolute power is what he now has. No one and no thing can stop him. How long before his "God-like" status gets to him?

Unless, and this is not stated, his decreased power level applies to his overall invulnerability. Even though kryptonite no longer affects him perhaps, hopefully, very strong conventional weapons can now hurt him and maybe do him in.

Again, absolute power corrupts and the world would rightly fear a totally unstoppable power - no matter his claim to be there to serve and protect humanity.

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Randi. wave

I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

You said:
The ending is potentially quite troubling though.

Superman with no vulnerabilities now? Superman is not a God and absolute power is what he now has. No one and no thing can stop him. How long before his "God-like" status gets to him?
I understand your concern, but that is part of what makes Superman special. He can and does make mistakes, but unlike the rest of us, he is incorruptible.

Now, he isn't indestructible, and his powers have been weakened, but I do agree that he is effectively without any vulnerabilities. However, since this is Clark, everything will be fine. Sorry, but when it comes to this version of Clark/Superman, I'm not worried about the potential down side.

Thanks for the note. I hope my optimism about Clark isn't too irritating.
Bob

R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by bobbart:
Hi, Randi. wave

I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

You said:
The ending is potentially quite troubling though.

I understand your concern, but that is part of what makes Superman special. He can and does make mistakes, but unlike the rest of us, he is incorruptible.

Now, he isn't indestructible, and his powers have been weakened, but I do agree that he is effectively without any vulnerabilities. However, since this is Clark, everything will be fine. Sorry, but when it comes to this version of Clark/Superman, I'm not worried about the potential down side.

Thanks for the note. I hope my optimism about Clark isn't too irritating.
Bob
Your optimism is not irritating, but I think unrealistic. Superman is not a God and absolute power will eventually go to his head IMO. That would make for an interesting follow-up story.

There have been several great comic stories investigating this very thing.

In one he began overriding government decisions he thought were harmful to humans. He slowly took more control and eventually, in stopping a nuclear attack by a sub, accidentally killed the sub's crew. Batman reluctantly agreed, at the UN's request, to help with a "permanent solution" to the Superman "problem". As no jail could hold Superman, Batman killed his former friend and, as he lay dying, Superman actually thanked Batman. Superman realized he was losing control and was a growing menace to humanity.

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

First off, I have to concede that there are some very good dark-Superman stories. However, for most of these, that Superman has a very different background than our Clark/Superman. Once you establish that Superman grew up as a different person, then naturally he could do very bad things. However, I don't see the lack of having a weakness as changing him. Remember that canon Clark grew up and created Superman – and was the quintessential good guy – all the time believing that he had no weakness. By canon, it wasn't until GGGOH that he found that any weakness existed. In Clark, the lack of a weakness didn't lead him to use his powers improperly.

I'm afraid that I'm not a believer in the adage of, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Over the years - as I've watched more and more of my hair turn grey - I've come to believe that just as there are people that seem to have a tendency for bad, there are people that will find a way to do the right thing whatever the circumstances.

I have come to the belief that the idea of power being a corruptive force has more to do with the motivation of the kinds of people that seek power, than it does with the power itself. Too often, those people that seek out power, want that power based on a personal need to control. Naturally a high percentage of those people will not "do the right thing" once they have that power.

The difference with Superman is that he never desired to have power or to compel others. His only desire was to help because his abilities allowed him to make a real difference.

Anyway, as I said at the opening, while I think I understand your concern, it will never be a problem with THIS Superman.

Bob

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bob!

And now for the grand finale! I have no idea how you’re going to put everything back together in just a couple of pages peep

Chapter 12: Endings
Well, what a fitting chapter title!

but he couldn't feel it at all. And his face didn't feel torn up.
Huh.

e'd experienced the super-speed, almost magical, healing that he’d had when he recovered from the building collapse, but it hadn’t been working since he'd been in this chamber.

Now he noticed something else. He could hear equipment noise as well as pages of a book turning.
Earlier, I thought the mention of the bright light might be an interesting tidbit but now it seems that he’s actually become immune to Kryptonite *an* is powered up on bright white lab light. This means he’s both invulnerable and kinda-sorta ticked off at Lex. Good thing Lois is programmed to like strong, dominant males who beat their competition senseless. Even the smell of cigars works well, considering that Clark’s going to have that fresh burn-smell on him after lighting up Lex’s…cigar with his heatvision.

How could this be? Clark looked at the Kryptonite again. It was right there where it had been all along. Could this be some kind of trick?
Yeah, replace all the lowhanging Kryptonite with fakes while he’s unconscious. But no… I guess Clark didn’t hear Lex releasing his bowls at the thought of Superman not being continuously exposed to Kryptonite. Say, considering you made such a show of it earlier on the part of Superman, will Lex give in to his baser natural needs when he meets an angry Superman? Poor Clark’s never going to get that stink out of his super nose, though.

. It would probably be more enjoyable if there was some way that Superman could be allowed to resist.
Ooooh, he’s so going to enjoy today’s session, then, isn’t he?

“Where are you holding Mrs. Kent?” Superman asked in a voice colder than any he'd heard before.
LEX: [Linked Image]

“Drop the Kryptonite!” Lex shouted as he used his free arm to reach into his vest.
Wouldn’t it be awkward if a sharp piece of Kryptonite spit Lex’s head apart? You know, ‘Human Killed by Kryptonite’.

There was a loud bang and Superman released his grip.
What’s he doing? And I’m using Clark’s not hurt?

Lex started for the entry tunnel but immediately tripped over one of the chunks of Kryptonite that had dropped from above.
Oh, the indignity!

Lex had managed to get almost to the tunnel when Superman shook off the disorientation from the pocket weapon and looked to be starting toward him. He would not be defeated by Superman. Not now. Not ever! “Open fire now!” Lex shouted in a final desperate act.
Yeah, so let’s review: a) Superman’s apparently impervious to a mixture of Kryptonite and metallic pieces flying at high velocities. b) he wants 4 guys to shoot at the ticked off alien stalking towards Lex in a room destined to produce ricochet from whatever bullets don’t flat out hit Lex directly. Yeah, not his finest out.

The men had dropped their guns and fled.
Yeah, probably wishing they had been wearing ski masks lined with lead fibres.

His enemy was still in the same spot that he'd been when he'd called for the gunmen to open fire.
Uh-oh.

Unfortunately, Luthor had not been invulnerable to the hail of bullets than had been ricocheting around the room. His body was riddled with bullet holes and both his breathing and heart had stopped.
See? Told ya. But he did get off way to easy, don’t you think? I do wonder if the gun crew they fled because of Superman or because they killed the deadman-switch that kept their families alive.

If any of you help me find her, and also tell me the quickest way out of these tunnels, I'll come back and let you out as soon as she's safe. If none of you provide any help...” He paused to let them consider the consequences of his being annoyed.
He will have been busy finding and rescuing Mrs. Kent. Oops, sooo-ory.

As he started to move Lois pulled herself in close. As soon as they had cleared the apartment Lois reminded him why he'd held on through the torture. “I love you, Clark.”
Awwwwww…

But in the time since they'd escaped, neither on them wanted to go more than a few minutes - or an hour at most - without the feel of the other’s flesh against theirs.
Oh dear. That supply closet sure is going to get a workout.
PERRY: I’ve already commissioned they move the copy machine into the supply closet and retrofit the copy room. Lois will just have to make up a schedule with Cat for when to use it.

"Okay, but don't take too long," she said with a smile. After one more lingering kiss, she started for the elevators.
Probably still in her ‘strong man are hot’ phase.

“I'm sure it didn't,” Bernie said in an almost cryptic tone. “I think I know why, but I can't check my idea with my experts.”
*confused* Pregnant?

“Clark, when you rescued Lois, how were you dressed?”
Oh, okay. Looks like I was right about that one.

“So did Mendenhall have some kind of death wish?” Lois asked. “Lex would have killed him once I’d rejected his advances.”
Maybe Dr. M. simply expected Lex to die while trying to consummate with his Stepford wife.

“The key to the puzzle was when we measured your powers. Based on the tests we did the day after you escaped, your abilities are – to the accuracy we can measure – exactly two-thirds of what they were before your first Nightfall mission.”
Huh. So, the loss is permanent despite the immunity?

“You are for now. And maybe forever. We should check periodically to see if the G elements reappear.”
Huh, so, maybe it would be best for Clark to visit Dr. Klein on a monthly basis and sit for a day in a Kryptonite chamber.

“I'm sure that I'll be seeing it pop up in criminal hands. What should I do when someone uses one against me?”

“Well, try not to laugh too hard.
rotflol

And after you're done, I'd like to have them for my studies. Finally, if nothing else, some of them are exceptionally beautiful crystals. If the radiation really does prove to be harmless to you and humans, it might make some attractive jewelry.”
Cute. He might actually wear a kryptonite ring, keep the exposure constant.

“Anyone who tries to grab Lois is going to have a very bad day,” Clark said coldly.
Yes, well, he really should have thought of that *before* allowing the police to dispose of Lex’s body instead of dragging it through the streets and mounting it on a lamppost in front of City Hall.

“Son, I don't know. I don't think it would feel right for Superman to leave the United States,” Jonathan said.
He could go to Washington, DC, establish himself at 1600 Penn.

“Welcome to the ranks of Superman's advisors,” Clark said as he offered the older man his hand.
hyper

Well…you did tie a nice bow on this whole mess. Well done!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard