Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Where we left off in Part 94

The phone rang. Clark glanced over at it and then back at Cat. Jimmy had told him not to answer the phone.

She groaned with a roll of her eyes and picked it up. “I don’t see the point. Why would some killer call you up on the phone? You’re supposed to be dead,” she pointed out, before speaking into the receiver. “Now, go get undressed. Hello?”

“Cat!” Lois growled loud enough for him to hear. “What the hell are you doing there?”

Of course, Superman is supposed to have good hearing too, isn’t he? Cat pulled the phone away from her ear, so he guessed it was Lois’s voice more than his hearing.

“I’m trying to help Clark remember,” Cat retorted. “How’s Luthor? Are you all ready to forgive him and get back together?”

“What?” Clark gasped, sitting up.

Lois had dated Lex Luthor? Was that why the man had called? Was that why she hadn’t wanted to call him back? He buried his head in his hands again. Moreover, Clark had insisted she call him back. No wonder she had looked at him oddly when he had suggested that. Wait. Lois had dumped the third richest man in the world for him? Things could be worse.

Clark recalled their interrupted kisses and held out his hand for the phone.

“Stuff it out your ear, Grant. Where’s Jimmy?” Lois asked.

Cat shrugged, ignoring Clark’s outstretched hand. “Hell, if I know. Upset stomach or something, I gather. He left just as I got here.”

“I’m going to wring his…”

“Please, give me the phone,” Clark insisted, holding out his hand.

“Fine by me,” Cat said, tossing him the phone. “I didn’t want to talk to Miss Prissy Pants anyway.”

“Lois,” Clark said into the phone. “How was your meeting? Learn anything?”

“Nothing on the record or printable. What’s she doing there?” Lois snapped.

“She’s trying to help me remember who I am,” he said, defending Cat. “She has some unorthodox techniques, but I…”

What has she been doing to you?” Lois roared.

“Come on, Clark. Tell Lois you’ll see her in the morning,” Cat called from the bedroom. “Get off the phone, so we can get cracking on phase two.”

Clark shushed her.

“Phase two? What’s that? No!” Lois hollered in his ear before he could figure out how to explain it. “Don’t tell me, and whatever you do, don’t listen to her, Clark! Remember, she’s just your friend and I’m your… your… the one you kiss. You better be fully clothed when I get there, or so help me God…” The phone disconnected with a reverberating slam.

Clark had a strange feeling he knew why Henderson had called her Mad Dog.

Part 95

It took Lois less than five minutes to flag down a cab two blocks away from Lex Towers and another seven minutes, and twenty dollars promised in tip, to get to Clinton Street quickly. Therefore, Lois was banging on Clark’s door a mere fifteen minutes after hanging up on him.

No one answered.

“Clark, it’s Lois. Let me in,” she demanded, knocking again. “If I were trying to kill you, I’d shoot the door down.”

She heard the deadbolt unlatch, and the door slowly opened. When Clark saw that it was her, his face lit up with such unadulterated joy that it almost knocked the anger out of her. Almost.

“Where is Cat?” she growled, pushing her way inside and past Clark.

Cat stood in Clark’s living room, her arms crossed, and staring at Lois as if she belonged there, but Lois did not.

“What in the hell are you doing here?” Lois inquired.

“I’m helping Clark get his memories back. I believe the true question should be what are you doing here, Lois?” Cat retorted.

Flabbergasted that it wasn’t obvious to the woman who had admitted almost as much the day before prior to forcing her to go to that crazy psychic’s, Lois flung her hand back at Clark. “I’m his partner.”

Cat raised her eyebrow. “And?”

“And… and is none of your business,” Lois sputtered.

Cat grinned. “Oh, oh.”

“Like you aren’t here for the same reason,” Lois returned, marching down the steps.

“What reason?” Clark asked, approaching Lois and glancing between the two of them.

Cat’s smile seemed to grow exponentially. “Yeah, Lois. What reason would that be?” she said with an air of false innocence, as if she didn’t know.

Clark seemed to buy it though, and gazed at Lois for the answer, his expression so naïve, so charming, in his not knowing. She knew she had to protect him from Cat’s evil wiles.

Lois loved him, truly she did, but when he looked at her like that, she almost didn’t recognize the cocky partner who sent her to the Metropolis Sewage Reclamation Plant to teach her a lesson. Where was the man, who less than two hours before had asked how close they were and then kissed her? Couldn’t he see what Cat was doing?

“I’m here… for Clark… so he… um… won’t be… uh… alone,” Lois finally said.

“You knew I was here when you called, Lois. So, you knew he wasn’t alone; therefore, that’s not the true reason you’re here,” Cat said, standing her ground.

“I meant someone he could trust,” Lois said.

“I trust Cat,” Clark said, defending the other woman much to Lois’s chagrin.

“See there, Lois, Clark trusts me,” Cat echoed, standing taller at his defiance of his partner.

“Well, Clark, you shouldn’t. She was telling you to get undressed when I was on the phone with you,” Lois reminded him. “I know her, and she’s trying to take advantage of you.”

Clark’s brow furrowed in confusion. “No, she wasn’t. She wanted me to change into my Suit…” He coughed with a quick glance at Cat. “Out… out of my suit.” He held out his arms so Lois could see his current casual ensemble.

Lois’s eyes narrowed as she focused her attention on Cat’s face. Yeah, right.

“See, Lois, no evil intent. I’m not trying to seduce your partner,” Cat said, setting her hand on Lois’s arm and nudging her towards the door. “He’s perfectly safe in my care. Why don’t you just go home…?”

“Like hell I will!” Lois said, shaking free of Cat’s grip and crossing her arms. “I’m not leaving. You are.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Cat returned, standing her ground.

“Well, neither am I,” Lois said.

“You’re both welcome to stay,” Clark said, sounding so much like the infuriating man Lois loved, she couldn’t decide if she wanted to kiss him or punch him.

Instead, Lois dropped her briefcase next to Clark’s couch and set her hand on his waist possessively, looking fiercely at Cat. “I’m his partner. I’m here now. You can leave.”

“I’m Clark’s best friend, and I’m not going anywhere. I want Clark to regain his memories. I’m not looking for a choice cut of meat,” Cat said, setting her hand possessively on Clark’s other shoulder.

“Are you hungry, Cat? I’m sorry, I should have asked,” Clark said, moving away from both women and over to the refrigerator. “You threw out all of Jimmy’s Indian food, but I might have something edible in here. I haven’t looked to see what I have yet.”

Lois tossed Cat another glower for suggesting that all Lois wanted was to use Clark’s body. Wasn’t that just the pot calling the kettle black? Wait, wouldn’t that mean that Lois merely wanted Clark’s body? An image of what happened between them at the hospital the night before crossed her mind. Well, of course she did, but not because he was any ol’ hot meat, but because she loved his hot body… him. Him. And Clark loved her.

“I’m fine, Clark. Lois knew exactly to what I was referring,” Cat told him.

Clark looked back at them with a perplexed expression. “Is that another one of those sarcastic comments I keep missing?” he asked.

Cat smiled at him. “Yeah,” she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Very funny, Cat.

“Cat,” Lois hissed, as Clark opened the fridge. “I’m here now. He doesn’t need you. Can’t you just please leave?”

“No. Clark and I were doing just fine without you. Why don’t you leave?” Cat whispered back. “He doesn’t need you.”

“Yes, I do,” Clark said, not turning around. “I’ll always need Lois.”

Lois threw her hand towards Clark. “See,” she said still whispering, although she was starting to wonder why since he could clearly hear them. “He said he needs me. So, you’re the one who should leave.”

“I need Cat too,” Clark replied before Cat could.

“Why? What does she have that I don’t?” Lois demanded.

Cat set her hands on her hips in a total ‘isn’t that obvious’ manner.

Lois turned on her heel towards the door. “Fine! If you’d rather be with her…”

Somehow, Clark caught her before she made it up the stairs. “I never said that,” he said. “Cat just knows things about me…” His voice faded as he glanced down the stairs at Cat. “She’s helping me navigate through this murky unknown.”

“Let her go, Clark,” Cat suggested snidely. “We’ll get your memories back faster without her here.”

“Nobody knows you better than me, Clark,” Lois said, setting her hand on his chest. “I’ll tell you everything you want to know.”

Clark looked at Cat with almost a pleading expression. “Can you give us a few minutes, Cat?”

“Go right ahead,” Cat said, not moving.

“Alone,” he insisted, and Lois gloated at Cat, knowing she was about to win.

“Fine! I’ll go powder my nose,” Cat said, rolling her eyes and stepping into his bedroom.

As soon as Cat was out of the room, Clark ran a hand over Lois’s hair, gazing at her with what appeared to be a new appreciation. He tilted towards Lois and gave her a hesitant, almost unsure, kiss. Lois deepened it, so he would know that he could be sure of her feelings. His arms wrapped around her tightly, and then loosened, but didn’t fall away.

“Mmmm,” he said when their lips finally parted, and he rested his forehead against hers in a familiar manner. “You taste good.”

Lois smiled. “There’s more where that came from, Clark, but I feel uncomfortable being myself… ourselves, while Cat is here. Nobody from work knows about us yet. Why don’t you send her away, so we can finally be alone?”

He shook his head. “I can’t do that. I need her too.”

Her face fell. “What?”

“No! Not like I need you,” he quickly reassured her, giving her another kiss. “Nothing like that. I’m not interested in her in the same way I am with you. In the same token, I need her in a different way than I need you. She’s really determined to help me find my memories.”

“And I’m not?” Lois returned.

Clark smiled genuinely at her and ran his fingers down her face. “I’m glad to hear that. I’m just afraid, if it was just us two, we might get distracted from that goal.”

Lois kissed him again, pressing her whole body against his. “And that would be a bad thing?” she murmured huskily.

He flushed, clearly understanding her veiled innuendo. “No… no… I can’t say that it would be wholly bad. Oh, Lois,” he said, lowering his lips to hers again with more passion and hunger than before. “I would love nothing more than to be alone with you.”

“Then?” she murmured.

“I can’t send her away,” he said.

“Why not?” Lois said, taking a step back away from him and trying not to pout.

“Where would she go?” Clark asked.

The answer was obvious. “Home,” she replied.

“Alone? To an empty apartment?” he asked.

Lois had to admit that sounded like a sucky way to spend one’s last night on Earth, but that had to be better than being a third wheel.

Clark took a deep breath and stood up straighter, almost more erect than she had ever seen him. “Cat says I’m the key to saving the world from the asteroid.”

A stray thought flitted across her mind, something about Clark joking about how he had come from another dimension to save hers from a natural disaster… oh, God! Had he been serious? She shook this thought away. Please, Lane, another dimension?

Lois realized what Cat must have been referring to, and asked, “Does she know that you can contact Superman?”

Clark stared at her for a long moment and then nodded once. “Yes.”

With great pains and reluctance, Lois finally admitted to herself that Cat might be right. Nonetheless, it was a decision that left a bad taste in her mouth. Clark was the key to finding Superman, and the planet needed Superman, and they wouldn’t find Superman without Clark’s memories; therefore, like it or not, Lois needed to focus on getting Clark his memories back. “I could help you recover your memories,” she suggested weakly, knowing what he was going to say.

“I’d like that,” he replied with a tender smile. “But if we combined your knowledge of me with hers, we’re likely to get there more quickly.”

Yep, three heads are better than two. Or would that be two heads are better than one, since Clark’s head is empty at the moment?

“Fine, she can stay,” Lois grumpily conceded. “But I’m not leaving. Your friend or not, Cat is a master at the art of seduction, and I won’t allow you to be hoodwinked by her, under the guise of finding your memories.”

Clark kissed her again. “I’ve been in love with you since the first moment I saw you, Lois, since before I met you actually… well, met you again,” he said. “I couldn’t imagine being interested in anyone else with you in the world?” His words melted her jealousy to some extent. Even without his old memories, Clark had still fallen in love with her.

Lois touched his cheek, wishing she hadn’t caved on allowing Cat to stay. “Don’t give her any ideas,” she grumbled.

“Cat won’t hurt you,” he replied as if she had been serious. “Oh, and she knows about us. Apparently, I’ve had a huge crush on you since you first called me ‘Chuck’.”

“I knew it!” Lois said with a fist pump, and then flushed at his startled expression. She cleared her throat. “I knew that you had told Cat about us, not that you’ve had…” She stared at him. “You’ve had a huge crush on me since the day we met?” She knew that he had liked her for a while, but not that it had been that long, and to have him state it so baldly, so mater-of-fact, blew her away. Clark was usually so secretive about… well, everything. But, now that she thought about it, he had asked her out that first day even after Perry hadn’t given him the job.

He shrugged in that way that was so Clark. “How could I not? You’re… you.”

He does have a point.

Lois ran her fingers down his cheek and pressed another kiss to his lips. “How could I have been so blind?” she murmured, momentarily bringing Star’s words to the forefront of her mind.

Clark lifted her straight up and carried her down the stairs, not breaking the kiss.

“Ugh! Are you guys done making out, yet?” Cat called from the bedroom. “Because I don’t think my stomach could handle witnessing that.”

An evil grin grew on Lois’s lips as a Plan B on getting rid of Cat formulated in her mind.

“Oh, and Clark, I need your assistance for a minute,” Cat continued.

“Coming…” he said, setting Lois down and whispering in her ear. “We should probably resist being overly affectionate while around Cat; she’s just getting over a broken heart.”

Lois nodded, and then pulled him back into an embrace. As if Cat had ever cared one whit about how she had acted in front of Lois. She stepped away, resting her hands on his chest. “So you don’t forget me,” she teased.

“Impossible,” Clark replied, staring into her eyes as if not wanting to separate from her for a second.

“Ewwww. I’m going to be sick,” Cat called.

Clark’s eyes widened, and he zipped into the other room. “Did you eat some of that Indian food?”

Clearly, he had no idea when anyone was joking.

Lois’s brow furrowed. What would Cat need assistance with in Clark’s bedroom? She turned to follow Clark into the bedroom, only to find Cat and Clark whispering over by Clark’s bathroom.

“No, and that’s final,” Clark said, glancing over and catching Lois in the doorway.

Apparently, Miss Grant wanted to get rid of Lois as much as Lois wanted to put Cat out. Big surprise.

“You know what sounds good? Something sweet.” Clark rubbed his hands together as he walked through the other archway into the kitchen. “I wonder where I keep the chocolate cookies.”

Cat glared at her. “We were making good progress before you showed up,” she said, pushing past Lois into the living room.

“Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of,” Lois mumbled, still wondering what ‘phase two’ was. She would ask Clark about it later. She watched Clark open and close the kitchen cabinets with a shake of her head. “It’s just so strange.”

“What is? Clark?” Cat replied, sitting on the sofa and glancing over at him. “He seems pretty much the same to me. A little slow on the uptake, but other than that…”

Lois sat down on the sofa next to her. “Him, and his new found sweet tooth.”

“What do you mean?” Cat asked.

“Clark doesn’t eat junk food,” Lois whispered, stating the obvious.

“He doesn’t?” Cat said, craning her neck to watch Clark search his kitchen for cookies. “Since when?”

“Since his parents died,” Lois mumbled from behind her hand, so Clark wouldn’t overhear her. “Didn’t he ever tell you about that? I can’t believe that you never noticed. And you call yourself a reporter and his best friend?” she scoffed. “It only proves that I know Clark better.”

Cat’s gaze narrowed. “Yeah, I doubt that.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

The grin on her face made Lois wonder if Cat did know something that Lois didn’t, which rankled.

I noticed that Clark has a mole right above his lip,” Cat said, pointing to her face. “You never noticed that.”

“Did too!” Lois exclaimed. That was all Cat had? Please! “So, what if he does?”

“The reason I didn’t notice Clark’s eating habits is because I really don’t eat sweets except fresh fruit. You can’t have a body like mine without sacrifices,” Cat said, looking Lois up and down. “This explains your dowdy dress code.”

“At least I know what an entire dress looks like,” Lois retorted.

“Sure, you do,” Cat returned sarcastically.

Lois looked at Cat, noticing for the first time that Cat was dressed for comfort in jeans and a t-shirt. Sneaky that one, trying to seduce him with that innocent Kansan girl next door costume. That might actually have worked if Lois hadn’t showed up. If he couldn’t remember that he was Clark, who happened to be in love with her. She knew Clark. If he had cheated on her, when he didn’t have his memories, he would never have forgiven himself, nor Cat. It would have been an ugly mess. She glanced over at him still searching for cookies in his kitchen. Poor fellow. It was a hopeless cause.

“Nothing sweet in here,” Clark complained, shutting his last kitchen cabinet. “Cream soda, it is then.”

“Cream soda?” Lois echoed, walking to the fridge. “You don’t have any cream soda.”

“Sure, I do,” he corrected her. “I saw some in the refrigerator. It must be my favorite drink.”

“Get out of here!” She opened his fridge. Clark had never stocked soda in his apartment since Lois had met him. No one was a bigger anti-soda person than he was. Sure enough, he had bought her a six-pack of diet cream soda, knowing it was her favorite drink. How could she not love him for being so thoughtful?

“Grab me one, too, please,” Clark requested, pulling two glasses from the cabinet.

“Why don’t you try mine first, just to make sure you like it?” Lois suggested, kissing Clark’s cheek as she slid the can of soda over to him. No point in wasting a cream soda on someone who would throw it out or up.

“Why wouldn’t I like it?” Clark said, eyeing the soda suspiciously and he poured it into a glass. “If I bought it, then surely I like it, right?”

Lois wrapped her arm around his waist and murmured, “You bought it for me.”

Clark shrugged and drank from the can. With a grimace, he exclaimed, “Well, you’re right about that. Blech!”

“I could say the same thing. I’m getting nauseated out here,” Cat called from the living room.

Lois picked up her glass and returned to the couch, sitting next to Cat, so Clark would have to sit elsewhere. “So, what’s phase two?”

“Well,” Clark said, trying to dig himself and Cat out of that hole of Cat’s making. Phase Two was him putting on his uniform and seeing if it helped bring back any memories. Obviously, that wasn’t an option unless he planned to tell Lois what Cat had told him. He got the distinct feeling Lois wouldn’t be happy in knowing that Cat knew he was Superman and she didn’t. “Is getting some sleep. Cat thinks a little shut eye will help my memories, and I have to admit it’s been a long day, so I think I’ll turn in now.” It wasn’t until the words were out of his mouth and both women were scowling that he realized that this lie wasn’t helping, more than making matters worse.

Superman didn’t lie. Now Clark knew why. He was bad at it.

“And you said, you weren’t trying to get Clark into bed,” Lois roared at his friend.

Cat glowered at him, and he mouthed an apology.

“Into bed for sleep. Not for anything else, Lois. Geez, get your mind out of the gutter!” Cat retorted, and Clark knew she would be fine. Cat could stand up for herself.

Lois set her soda down on his coffee table and approached him. “Come on, Clark. Sleep does sound good right now.”

What was she planning on doing, just cuddling or more? He cleared his throat as images from his fantasy about Meena from the night before danced across his mind. “That sounds really nice, Lois,” he murmured, taking her arm and leading her into the bedroom. “But if you lay down with me, I have to admit, I won’t be able to sleep. You’re too much of a distraction.”

“I sure am, Clark, but I bet we can just sleep together; we’ve done it before,” she replied softly, caressing his cheek. “Anyway, do you really think I’d want to be intimate with you while Cat's in the next room?”

Cat appeared in the archway and leaned seductively against it. “Who says I’d be the next room? If you get to lay down with Clark, why can’t I too? We’re all friends here.”

“What?” Lois screamed. “No!”

Clark put his hands to his head to dampen the noise. “No, ladies. Thank you, but no. If I’m going to get any sleep, I’m going to have to be alone,” he said.

“My, my, you two have dirty minds,” Cat said with a shake of her head. “I meant if I slept on Clark’s other side, I could be reassured there would be no hanky-panky between you two. Why should I be stuck on the couch, just because I’m not part of this couple?”

“You’re right, Cat,” Clark said, searching his empty mind for an alternative solution. “Neither of you will be able to sleep on the couch. Why don’t you two take the bed and I’ll sleep on the couch?”

“That’s not happening,” Cat retorted at the same time Lois said, “Absolutely not!”

“Okay, either one of you heads home…” he suggested, knowing what their answers would be.

“I’m not leaving you alone with Cat,” Lois said, tightening her grip on him.

“And we’ve got too much work to do for me to leave,” Cat said.

“How are you supposed to work on his memories with him asleep?” Lois inquired snidely.

“How is he going to get any sleep with you around?” Cat retorted.

Or the two of you can stay in the living room, and wait for me to wake up in the morning,” Clark said, returning to the topic at hand. “That’s not quite fair for you two, but I’ll get more sleep this way.” Just their bickering was wearing him out, and he stifled a yawn.

Lois ran her hand up and down his arm. “Are you sure, Clark?”

No, he wasn’t sure, but he knew he couldn’t kick Cat out. She was too valuable of a friend to treat so poorly. He would love nothing more than to fall asleep in Lois’s arms with her rambling on about some uninteresting topic, but that was the rub. Firstly, he loved the sound of Lois’s voice. Secondly, he was confident any subject Lois found to talk about, she could make interesting. That was, if he could pull his lips away from hers long enough for her to talk.

Clark caressed Lois’s cheek with his palm, before placing a soft kiss to her lips. She stiffened before relaxing into it. He wondered why. She hadn’t felt uncomfortable with his kisses before. Did she feel awkward kissing him in front of Cat? Why hadn’t they told anyone at work about their relationship? How new was it? She wrapped her arms around his chest and laid her head on his shoulder. He could feel that she didn’t want to let him go. Was she afraid he would disappear on her again?

“I’ll be fine, Lois,” he said, attempting to reassure her.

“Get some sleep. I’ll be right out there if you need me,” she said, her hand ending up in his, where she gave it a squeeze. Then she headed through the archway where Cat still stood. “Come on, Cat. Let’s give him some space.”

Cat shook off Lois’s hand from her shoulder and moved towards him. She spoke to him so quietly that he had to strain, and possibly use his super hearing ability, to hear her, “Change into your Suit in the bathroom and see if it helps.”

Clark held up his hands, letting her know he would do it for five minutes, and five minutes only, and then he was going to bed.

“You could always wear it under your pajamas,” Cat suggested again using her stealth voice.

He shook his head. It was bad enough he was putting on the Suit. He refused to sleep in it.

Cat shrugged and returned to the living room. “I’m just trying to help,” she said.

Clark looked to the ceiling in hopes of finding some sort of guidance. He took a deep breath, exhaled, and headed into the bathroom. He would sleep in the sweatpants and t-shirt that he currently wore. If he remembered correctly, he didn’t see any pajama bottoms in his drawers, only silk shirts and shorts. Ah, no thanks. With two beautiful women in the next room, he needed as much coverage as possible. He firmly pushed Cat’s idea of the three of them sharing the bed out of his muddy mind.

Ten minutes later, he climbed into bed. He had brushed his teeth, washed his face, and his memories were in exactly the same level of blankness as before he tried on the Suit. He couldn’t believe he flew around Metropolis in that thing. It was so tight, he felt naked in it. The shorts and cape gave him a little extra coverage, but not much. How could he have given speeches in that extremely bright thing? How could he have talked to Lois while he was dressed like that?

Cat had explained, earlier before Lois showed up, that the Suit had to be that tight otherwise it would get damaged. By being that close to his body, it was somehow protected by his invulnerability force field, which she called his ‘aura’.

When Cat had called Clark into the bedroom before, after he had talked Lois into letting Cat stay, it was because he had forgotten to push his armoire back against the wall. She told him that she had hung one of his Suits in his shower stall. They would take it out as soon as he got rid of Lois. He refused. Lois would never forgive him if he chose Cat’s company over hers, and Cat wouldn’t leave because she knew he needed her to find his true memories to stop the asteroid. How had he dealt with two such strong females in his life at the same time? Had he ever won an argument with the two of them? Heaven forbid if they ever ganged up on him.

He turned off the light, dropping his bedroom into darkness before removing his glasses and setting them on the bedside table. Cat had explained to him that the glasses were his disguise. Without them, everyone would see his similarities to the hero. He was to wear them at all times. She even recommended sleeping in them, but that just sounded uncomfortable. He had already slept in his sunglasses the night before.

Clark closed his eyes and buried his face into his pillow, relishing the opportunity to sleep in a large bed in whatever position he desired. His pillow smelled of Lois. There was a faint hint of her perfume. She must have spent the night there recently. He smiled at this thought.

“Good night, Lois,” Clark called to the other room. “Good night, Cat.”

“Good night, Clark,” they said in perfect unison.

“You can’t let me even say good night to him without butting in,” he heard Lois hiss at Cat.

She was trying to be quiet but he could hear them perfectly. He piled another pillow on his head.

“You mean like that time I told you Clark was hot for your body, and that you should jump his bones, and put the whole office out of our collective misery, but you didn’t listen to me,” Cat returned.

“Why was that?” Lois murmured. “Oh, right. I never listen to you. Unlike you, I don’t jump into bed with every single guy I meet. Anyway, if I remember correctly, that was the night that Lex shot me.”

Clark sat up in bed. Lex? Lex as in Lex Luthor? He had shot Lois? And Clark had sent her over to meet with that man? Why had she listened to him? It was a fact that Clark wasn’t playing with a full deck at the moment. Why was that man allowed to walk free after doing that to Lois? He decided that if they all made it out of this emergency alive, he would keep a closer eye on that man.

“Well, you should have called me last night when you discovered Clark was in the hospital. You knew how worried I was,” Cat scolded his partner. “Or would have been if I had known.”

Clark settled back into the bed and piled the pillows back on his head, although they did nothing to muffle the sound of their conversation.

“Perry told me that I couldn’t tell anyone,” Lois answered.

“When has that ever stopped you from doing what you wanted? I bet the truth of the matter is that you never even thought of me,” Cat said.

When Lois didn’t answer right away, Clark knew that Cat had been right. Poor woman. She deserved much better friends than him, who never even told his adoptive parents about his best friend, and Lois, who didn’t seem to like her at all. Here she had kept his identity secret all this time, helped with his wardrobe malfunctions, and was now trying to assist him in recovering his memories. Cat was a true friend. He would work harder on being one for her too.

Lois’s voice had grown softer, when she replied, “I wasn’t thinking about anyone other than Clark last night. When Perry told me that someone had tried to kill him, everything and everyone else fell to the side. I had tunnel vision. I had to get to Clark, and nobody was going to stop me.” She scoffed. “I even forgot about the asteroid or to ask Clark about contacting Superman. Not that it would have made any difference. I just had to see him.”

Clark dropped the pillows from his face. Forgot to ask him… Had they spoken?

“Hold on there, Lois. Did you actually visit Clark while he was in the hospital?” Cat asked. “He didn’t say anything about that.”

“Well, he wouldn’t,” Lois whispered with almost a shy giggle.

Clark’s eyes opened wider and he scooted closer to the wall that separated them.

“He was asleep,” she finished. “When I climbed in his window.”

No, he thought, he hadn’t been. He remembered distinctly seeing her come through his window… in what he thought was his dreams. Maybe his Meena fantasy had been more than a fantasy. If sex with Lois felt like that, when he had been half-asleep and without his super senses, what would it feel like with them? He decided not to let his mind wander in that direction and tried to remember what it felt like to be half-frozen in Hob’s Bay.

“That’s too bad. I hear that those hospital gowns don’t leave much to the imagination,” Cat said.

Clark sank down low into his covers again. He didn’t want to hear Cat talking about him like that. He didn’t want Cat’s thoughts to go in the direction of what that hospital gown didn’t cover.

“Not much,” Lois admitted.

Huh? How does Lois know that? He pushed all thoughts of sleep aside. Was she going to tell Cat what had happened between them at the hospital? Cat?

“So, do you have any ideas on how to get Clark to recover his memories? We’ve got to contact Superman before tomorrow night,” Lois went on, changing the subject.

Clark could just hit his head against the wall in frustration that they didn’t follow a topic to completion. Couldn’t Lois just brag, just a little bit, about how great he was, so he would know if he had dreamed about her hands pushing his hospital gown up his chest and her bare legs running down his legs as she lay down on top of him, or if it had actually happened? She was welcome to change the topic after saying what had happened either ‘yea’ or ‘nay’.

“We could hit his head with a baseball bat,” Cat suggested.

Very funny.

“I don’t think that would do his head any good,” Lois replied.

It wouldn’t do the bat any favors either.

Cat chuckled, and Clark wondered if she was thinking the same thing. The women were quiet for a minute, and Clark’s eyes began to droop into sleep.

***End of Part 95***

Part 96

Comments

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/14/14 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.