Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
I hadn't intended to continue with the story but had a lot of requests at the other site and some here to do so. Hopefully, I painted in the picture a bit more with this chapter.

I was reluctant to post this fic here to begin with as most won't read it but, as I posted the first chapter, Mouserocks commented I might as well go ahead and post the other chapter.

My other fics are darker peep

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Randi,

It is an interesting story line, however since you are basing it on Smallville rather than L&C it should probably be posted in that forum.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by KenJ:
Randi,

It is an interesting story line, however since you are basing it on Smallville rather than L&C it should probably be posted in that forum.
The Metropolis part is based on L&C. Quantum disruptor and other elements are in store as the tale unfolds. Teri and Dean will get shout outs too.

It's an intense relationship story between Clark, Lois and Lex in the L&C universe that needs the Lex/Clark close youthful relationship to have it's poignancy.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Randi,

There were a lot of elements of Smallville which duplicated L&C. That being the case I don't think it is a justification to post in this forum.

The fundamental premise as you have stated it is that Lex and Clark grew up as close friends, almost like brothers. That happened in the comic canon and in Smallville canon but definitely not in L&C canon.

Based on that foundation this story should be moved to the Superman in other Canon fanfic forum.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi, Randi,

WRT Clark and Lex growing up friends, I am completely comfortable with that idea. As Ken points out, not only did that happen (sort of) in Smallville, it has been done in the comics and was also covered in Superman: Last Son of Krypton . I believe that this idea alone doesn’t make this a Smallville story. We have had many stories here that are at least as far from LnC canon. We simply call them Alt-universe stories.

What I think is missing is the story itself. Your concept – both in part 1 and part 2, is presented almost entirely in exposition. As a reader, I would be ready to accept the story of Clark and Lex – pretty much as they are in LnC canon (except for Lex being younger) - growing up as friends and then suffering an irreconcilable falling out due to Clark’s apparent friendship with Superman.

One of the problems in omitting the whole back story is that we – as readers – are left only with the image of Lex as the incarnation of evil that we know in LnC canon. Even if that person had grown up being Clark’s friend, I would not shed any tears for him. I would need a much more fully developed picture of a Lex with some redeeming qualities to shed those tears.

So, I think that your idea is fascinating, and the taste you’ve given us has a lot of promise as an alt-universe story, but I would really like to see the whole story that serves as the backdrop for this short.

Bob

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I can see arguments both ways on whether or not this belongs in this forum. As I started reading this part I was feeling too much of "this is A Smallville story, not an L&C one" but I firmly remninded myself that not only Smallville or the elseworld "Last Family of Krypton" did this, but Secret Origin and the Superboy comics of the Silver Age as well, so there's plenty if AU backups to that concept that it doesn't necessaeily have to be taken as a Smallville addition.

Personally I didn't mind the exposition too much. Maybe it was because the first part was so completely bare of details and ths fills in the much needed gaps. From a storytelling viewpoint I'd say that it is a much better story now than before.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Christina:
I can see arguments both ways on whether or not this belongs in this forum. As I started reading this part I was feeling too much of "this is A Smallville story, not an L&C one" but I firmly remninded myself that not only Smallville or the elseworld "Last Family of Krypton" did this, but Secret Origin and the Superboy comics of the Silver Age as well, so there's plenty if AU backups to that concept that it doesn't necessaeily have to be taken as a Smallville addition.

Personally I didn't mind the exposition too much. Maybe it was because the first part was so completely bare of details and ths fills in the much needed gaps. From a storytelling viewpoint I'd say that it is a much better story now than before.
Thanks for commenting. smile

The exposition is, sadly, because this is my first fic and am not good at dialog. I hope to work on that.

Think of it as an AU if you like. In order to tell the story I need to take key parts from other incarnations too.

R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by bobbart:
Hi, Randi,

WRT Clark and Lex growing up friends, I am completely comfortable with that idea. As Ken points out, not only did that happen (sort of) in Smallville, it has been done in the comics and was also covered in Superman: Last Son of Krypton . I believe that this idea alone doesn’t make this a Smallville story. We have had many stories here that are at least as far from LnC canon. We simply call them Alt-universe stories.

What I think is missing is the story itself. Your concept – both in part 1 and part 2, is presented almost entirely in exposition. As a reader, I would be ready to accept the story of Clark and Lex – pretty much as they are in LnC canon (except for Lex being younger) - growing up as friends and then suffering an irreconcilable falling out due to Clark’s apparent friendship with Superman.

One of the problems in omitting the whole back story is that we – as readers – are left only with the image of Lex as the incarnation of evil that we know in LnC canon. Even if that person had grown up being Clark’s friend, I would not shed any tears for him. I would need a much more fully developed picture of a Lex with some redeeming qualities to shed those tears.

So, I think that your idea is fascinating, and the taste you’ve given us has a lot of promise as an alt-universe story, but I would really like to see the whole story that serves as the backdrop for this short.

Bob
Thanks for commenting. smile

See my reply above about the exposition.

As to Lois shedding tears there are many reasons but to give a tidbit - Lex explains to Lois the "Wedding" and what was going on besides just trying to trap and kill Superman. What he tells her touches Lois to her core.

The backstory is the "real" Lex obituary. More on that will start with the next chapter which is titled "Bruce's Guilt".

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Of a very young Lex Luthor and a very young Clark Kent. Growing up together in Smallville.
That sounds like Smallville…

. Clark was not stupid and Lex couldn't understand why he wasn't more circumspect in his writings about and dealings with the "alien".
Is it just man-friend and attention jealousy or did Lex have an actual crush on Clark?

penthouse office atop Welling Center.
So Smallville.

Lex removed a clasp from his ring revealing a green stone mounted on the ring.
Oops? He really did kill Clark?

And Lois had made the biggest mistake of all - one which would haunt her for her remaining days.
Sleep with Lex?

Yep. Sounds like Lex killed Clark, all right. That was quite unexpected.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Of a very young Lex Luthor and a very young Clark Kent. Growing up together in Smallville. That sounds like Smallville… [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] . Clark was not stupid and Lex couldn't understand why he wasn't more circumspect in his writings about and dealings with the "alien".
Is it just man-friend and attention jealousy or did Lex have an actual crush on Clark?

penthouse office atop Welling Center.
So Smallville.

Lex removed a clasp from his ring revealing a green stone mounted on the ring.
Oops? He really did kill Clark?

And Lois had made the biggest mistake of all - one which would haunt her for her remaining days.
Sleep with Lex?

Yep. Sounds like Lex killed Clark, all right. That was quite unexpected.

wave Michael
Thanks for the comments.

It's a mix of L&C and Smallville.

Man-Friend and crush are just two ends of the same spectrum. You decide. laugh

As for Lois, as the next chapter reveals, she is not the only one carrying major guilt.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard