OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Post feedback, good or bad, here. peep

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I hate to say this, but I'm confused. It's ibvious to me that this is different from canon, but I can't figure out for the life of me how. Here's some questions I had by the end...

CJ=Clark? Or someone else?

Just WHY would Luthor give the Superman Foundation that money? It just doesn't make sense to me.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Christina:
I hate to say this, but I'm confused. It's ibvious to me that this is different from canon, but I can't figure out for the life of me how. Here's some questions I had by the end...

CJ=Clark? Or someone else?

Just WHY would Luthor give the Superman Foundation that money? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks for commenting.

CJ = Clark Jonathan - not Clark Jerome. CJ is Lois's son.

As to Luthor, his reason for leaving his estate as he did is in the title - I didn't know. That is the crux of the story. What doesn't Luthor know?

I purposely left gaps but it all fits together if you ponder for a bit.

What doesn't Luthor know? wallbash

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting premise, but it would really help if the readers had more hints to work with. huh

These hints might make for follow-up parts which provide clues for what Lex did not know.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Morgana:
Interesting premise, but it would really help if the readers had more hints to work with. huh

These hints might make for follow-up parts which provide clues for what Lex did not know.
Thanks for reading.

A fairly big clue is in the last paragraph.

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
The story on it's own reads more like a teaser (or prologue) to a larger story so on it's own I'd say it's incomplete. I do encourage you to flesh it out a little more though.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm afraid I have to agree with the other commenters. I've read it twice, both before and after reading your responses here, and I'm no closer to figuring out what you're trying to imply. I surmised right away that CJ must be Lois's son, but the rest of it ... sorry, I'm lost! I get the feeling from your responses to the feedback that you've got something in there you think is obvious, and you're frustrated that we can't see it as clearly as you can. But I think you're going to need to give the readers a bit more to go on. It sounds like the prologue to a what could be a very interesting AU storyline. I hope you'll take it and expand on it. Good luck!

Kathy

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I agree with everyone else. You've written an intriguing piece, but I, too, am confused.

p
o
s
s
i
b
l
e

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

My nearest guess about what has happened: In this AU, Luthor disliked Superman but liked Clark Jerome Kent. He killed Superman and, only as Superman lay dying did he realize somehow that CK=S. He was overcome with remorse for having killed Clark as well, and therefore committed suicide. What his suicide note referred to was that he hadn't known CK=S. Lois either witnessed the murder or else pieced together what had happened. The "real" obit would mention Clark's dual identity, and would therefore be kept secret at least until after the deaths of everyone who was near to Clark and who could be hurt if Superman's secret identity were to be made public.

Randi, am I close?

Joy,
Lynn

R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
As per Lynn's speculation, note the last paragraph. Peace was at hand. Luthor, by the time this story unfolds, no longer hates Superman and has pretty much stopped his attacks on Superman. So no, Superman does not die at Luthor's feet.

I've posted this story on another fic site and am thinking of doing a follow-up so I won't say more. Not to give anything away.

It is a death fic as I noted - a "soft" one. Realizing folks here don't like death fics I won't post a follow-up here, if I do one, cause it would have to go into the kind of details readers here don't like to read and I will respect that.

Kerth
Kerth
I, like most, am very confused, but intrigued as well. laugh Where, pray tell, might I find this second update? And I think you've probably caused enough confusion here that you might just post it here too maybe?

As near as I can figure, Lex must have found out about CK=S and felt remorse for one of two scenarios. (A) Superman has died, either as a direct result from Lex's actions or otherwise, and Lex realizes that he is indeed his friend and Lois' husband. Of course, Lex feels guilt for the, um, dispatching of her husband and kills himself with the note saying "I didn't know." But of course, I would feel that if that were the case then Lois would have reacted a bit more strongly than she did here. In which case I would guess (b) that Lex has given up on the kill-Superman pipe dream but perhaps somehow Superman/Clark are gone already. Perhaps Lex didn't know that Lois was *really* Superman's gal, or discovered CJ was a bit super himself, and then felt bad for everything he used to do. Ooohh, or caused something else. (C) Clark and Lois and CJ are all okay, but maybe lost another family member shock like a child. That would be evil.

Anyways. So basically what I'm saying is that I would be interested in more. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
CJ is really Lex's son?

R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Mouserocks, thanks for your comments. I have not written a follow-up to the story yet. I intended it to be a stand-alone. At the other site I have received a number of PM's asking for "the rest of the story". I have it all in place in my mind and may do the "sequel". Not sure yet.

Weird thing, this is my 4th fic and I guess I like writing dark fics even more than reading them - LOL! All have been tradgedies. devilsplat

I am a tease at heart too - all 4 fics leave a lot of open questions for the reader to fill in. laugh

As to Lois and Lex - I'll add that Lois sheds a number of tears at Lex's funeral.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Randi!
Welcome to the boards!

Lex Luthor had taken his life two days ago. Leaving a seemingly inexplicable last note "I didn't know".
That’s odd…

More important was her knowledge of what "I didn't know" meant.
Oh? That Clark's Superman since that's the most obvious secret. Or that CJ is Clark's son instead of Lex's.

That knowledge had to be kept secret to protect not just herself, but many others - CJ in particular.
CJ? She got a child from Clark?

Aquiring companies worldwide, creating drought mitigation technology for Africa and building a string of critical care medical facilities in the poorest areas of the world.
Huh? Something scared him straight? Nah…

If the world only knew - the assets were all placed in a trust to be administered by Lois and a few other specifically named individuals.
Something really did scare him. A. Lot.

That was the biggest part of the tragedy - peace had been at hand".
Huh. Okay, you *have* to tell us the rest. Did he have terminal cancer?

wave Michael

Edit: Oh, look. Part two's already posted [Linked Image]

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Hi Randi!
Welcome to the boards!

Lex Luthor had taken his life two days ago. Leaving a seemingly inexplicable last note "I didn't know".
That’s odd…

More important was her knowledge of what "I didn't know" meant.
Oh? That Clark's Superman since that's the most obvious secret. Or that CJ is Clark's son instead of Lex's.

That knowledge had to be kept secret to protect not just herself, but many others - CJ in particular.
CJ? She got a child from Clark?

Aquiring companies worldwide, creating drought mitigation technology for Africa and building a string of critical care medical facilities in the poorest areas of the world.
Huh? Something scared him straight? Nah…

If the world only knew - the assets were all placed in a trust to be administered by Lois and a few other specifically named individuals.
Something really did scare him. A. Lot.

That was the biggest part of the tragedy - peace had been at hand".
Huh. Okay, you *have* to tell us the rest. Did he have terminal cancer?

wave Michael

Edit: Oh, look. Part two's already posted [Linked Image]
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll just say nothing scares Lex. Not even Superman.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard