Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Where we left off in Part 81

“Oh, really?” Lois said, sounding a bit disappointed. “Whatcha wearing, big fellow?”

Clark blushed. Oh, one of those calls. “Um… my pajamas.”

“Which ones?”

He cleared his throat. “The brown shorts with the autumn leaves.”

“Oh, those,” she said. “I like those.”

“For some reason, they’ve become my favorite recently,” he admitted, remembering what she had looked like when wearing the matching sleep shirt that night, before Christmas, she stayed over. “The shirt has disappeared though.”

“Oh?” Lois said softly, ending with another yawn. He heard her shut a book and set it on the nightstand.

“What are you…?” he started saying before he stopped himself. That would only lead to trouble. “Um…Er…” He had no idea how to end that sentence, other than the obvious: wearing? Doing for breakfast? Currently working on? Going on your next vacation? Doing for dinner tomorrow night? He had finally decided on the last one, when he heard Lois giggle and click off the light switch.

“My blue plaid pajamas, Chuck. What else would I be wearing?” she teased.

Suddenly he pictured her in that light blue baby doll negligee, crawling across his living room towards him, and then she was on top of him, pressing her lips against his as her hands moved down to his pants and tugged at his zipper. He gulped. “You look good in blue,” he said, his voice cracking.

“Oh, do I?” she whispered, and he heard her settling more into the bed. “Mmmm.”

“I notice everything about you,” he replied.

She chuckled dreamily. “Do you?”

“Maybe I should come tuck you in,” he suggested, knowing that was the very last thing he should possibly be doing. “No, I should stay here and get some sleep. Yes, I should. Lois, you’re killing me.”

He swore he could hear her grin over the phone line as she scored that point against him. “Good night, Clark.”

“Good night, Lois,” he said, and then waited for her to hang up before setting down his receiver and turning off the light.

Mmmmmmm. He was going to have good dreams that night.

Lex snapped off the microphone he had them install in the honeymoon suite before sending Lois that invitation for one more night.

He pushed the button on the intercom.

“Yes, sir?” his majordomo’s voice came through the speaker.

“Tomorrow, Nigel. Make it painful and look like an accident,” Lex said, turning off the switch.

Part 82

Wanted Dead and Alive

After a night filled with very pleasant dreams of Lois, Clark didn’t think he could wait the few hours until he could see Lois at the office. First thing that morning, he placed a call to her… their room at the Lexor, and suggested that they meet somewhere for breakfast. Not having the hotel’s number, he had reached her on her mobile phone. Lois agreed wholeheartedly and suggested that he meet her at her apartment at seven thirty. Seven thirty wasn’t ideal, and it certainly wasn’t enough time to tell her all he needed to tell her. No, he sighed; it was best to wait until after dinner.

Personally, he was getting tired of all these delays.

Clark sat on her front stoop with that morning’s paper in hand, yet unable to unfold it. He had hoped that she would’ve been her usual punctual self, so they might have time to get more than a coffee on the way into the office, but her cab didn’t pull up outside her apartment until quarter til.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” she uncharacteristically apologized, kissing his cheek quickly as she rushed up the steps to her front door. “Check-out was atrocious. They wanted me to fill out a survey on the honeymoon suite’s new amenities, and their customer service. They should have known better than ask me about their customer service skills as they were making me late.”

Clark followed her up the steps.

“I’m sorry about breakfast, Clark,” she went on, apologizing once more.

“Calm down. It’s okay, Lois. We’ll grab something on the way into the office. Don’t worry,” he reassured her.

“What? A donut? A muffin? A bagel with cream cheese? Do you even eat bagels? Or cream cheese?” she asked, as they stepped into the elevator.

“I can get an apple. Stop babying me, Lois. I’ve been fending for myself in a world of sweets for years with no problem. We’ll get some coffee and a danish for you at the espresso stand outside the office. I’ll be fine,” Clark said, running his hand down her cheek. “What’s wrong?”

The doors of the elevator closed. Lois looked into his eyes with such an expression of want that he couldn’t help lowering his mouth to hers and kissing her.

“Mmmmm,” she moaned, dropping her overnight bag and wrapping her arms around his neck. “How did you know exactly what I needed?”

Too soon, the elevator dinged at the fifth floor and they separated with a reluctant sigh. He picked up her bag and followed her out. Good thing too, because half way down her hall she remembered she hadn’t picked it up and turned back towards the elevators only to realize he had it.

“Thanks. I don’t know where my head is today,” she said, almost taking the bag from him and then deciding to let him carry it.

“Did you not sleep well?” he asked.

She turned and looked at him from over her shoulder. “I could’ve slept better.”

He expected a bounce of eyebrows or a wink or something in her tone to suggest she meant if he had joined her the night before, but it never showed. “Lois?”

“I was looking forward to having breakfast with you, Clark. Really I was, and here, I’m running late and…” Lois went to put her keys in her locks, but they slipped out of her hands and landed in a pile at her feet.

Clark realized it was because her hands were shaking. He set down her bag, took hold of her hands, and bent down for her keys. “Lois, what’s wrong?”

“Something horrible is going to happen,” she whispered. “Only… only… only, I don’t know what.”

He quickly opened her door and took her and her bag inside. He led her over to the sofa and sat down next to her. “All right now. What do you mean?”

“I don’t know,” she said, her hands gesturing wildly. “I just woke up with this feeling of dread. I must have dreamed of something last night.” She shook her head. “I just can’t remember what it is.”

“Calm down, Lois,” he repeated, pulling her into his arms. “We’ll get through this together, okay.”

“Okay,” she said, and melted against his chest. After a few minutes of silent embracing, Lois sat up. “I feel like I’m losing my mind.”

“You’re not losing your mind,” he reassured her.

“But these visions, they seem so contradictory. I don’t understand them,” she said. “The other night, I dreamed of a tsunami.”

“A tsunami?” he echoed, pushing her hair back behind her ear. “But we’re past that.”

“Yes, I know, but it was like I was dreaming of what might have been. I was tied to a pillar on the docks, next to Ian Harrington, and you came to save us.” Lois gave him a wistful smile. “Then we looked up and there in front of us was a tidal wave… it must have been twenty stories high.”

“Twenty?”

“Okay, ten, but it was up there. Higher than any tidal wave I’ve ever seen on record. You told us to run. So, we ran. When we had made it a few blocks, I turned to look for you, but you were gone. You weren’t right behind me, but the wave was. I could see it in its gigantic proportions, and then instead of crashing down on top of me, it seemed to roll back upon itself into the sea,” she said, taking hold of his arms.

“Superman?” he guessed.

“Yeah, I guess,” she said, shaking her head with a shrug. This dream wasn’t about Superman. “I ran all around the pier, searching for you, but it was like you disappeared. I couldn’t find you anywhere. Oh, Clark!” She buried her head into his shoulder. “I’m so afraid that something is going to happen to you.”

He knew where ‘he’ had disappeared off to, Hob’s Bay. If her dream had been a vision of what had happened with her True Clark, he would have been out to sea stopping the tsunami. At least they had done something right, in that the tidal wave had never formed. He felt slightly reassured that he could have handled the tidal wave after all. Good to know. Although, it might not have been a vision. It might have just been a dream, just a run-of-the-mill nightmare from all the pent up anxiety from working the Apocalypse Consulting investigation.

“Nothing’s going to happen to me, Lois. That dream is of the past. We’ve made it. The tidal wave isn’t going to get us, or me. Now, take a deep breath, and remember today is a clean slate. The world is yours to do with as you please. No nightmares, or visions are in control of your destiny, only you are.”

“Right. Of course, I know that,” she said, jumping to her feet. “We better go, or we’ll be late.” She groaned, reaching into her briefcase. She pulled out her mobile phone and set it on its charger on her desk. “I almost forgot. I left my phone on all night and now my mobile is dead. You’re right about the clean slate, though. We don’t have a story, not even the inkling of a story, not even the tiniest fragment of something that someday with lot of work might resemble a story, so we better get going.”

A smile came to his lips at his partner’s familiar rant. “We had a great story yesterday,” he reminded her as she grabbed her keys and opened her front door.

“You know Perry. You’re only as good as today,” she retorted.

“Then we should be fine,” he replied as she shut and locked her door. “Because you’re the best.”

Lois gave him a skeptical expression. “You’re flattering me again,” she said. “Keep this up, and I’ll start to think you want something from me.”

Clark winked. “It’s the truth.”

She pulled her keys from the final lock. “I know it’s the truth, but it’s still flattery,” she said, looking him up and down suspiciously. “What are you after, Kent?”

“You caught me. I’m after your lips,” he said and pulled her against his chest with a grin. “You better give them to me, or I’ll keep telling you the truth until you do.”

He lowered his mouth to hers, but she tilted her head away.

“Hey!” he groused playfully.

“Nope. No more kisses until you tell me another truth.” She smiled wickedly as if she liked this game.

“Me, and my big mouth,” Clark grumbled.

“Mmmmm,” she said, appearing as if her resistance was breaking as she stared at his mouth. “Those are nice lips, and I haven’t really kissed them all night.”

“We’re going to be late,” he said, trying to kiss her again.

“Not that kind of truth, Chuck,” she murmured, turning away at the last second so that he ended up kissing her cheek.

“Let’s have dinner tonight,” he whispered in her ear as he kissed down her neck. “We’ll talk then about me. Right now, I can’t concentrate without your lips.”

“Oh, really?”

He smiled sheepishly at her. It was the truth.

“So, just my lips, huh?” Lois asked, licking them.

Clark felt his stomach muscles tighten. “Uh-huh, and dinner.” For tonight and every night afterwards.

“Well, if that’s all,” she said, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I guess I better let you have my lips now, because you aren’t going to get them at work.” She brushed her lips against his.

Clark deepened the kiss and pressed her up against the wall of the hallway with his entire body. He might not be able to make love to Lois, but he wasn’t going to let that stop him from loving her, as if he had any choice in the matter.

A minute turned to two before Lois must have remembered that they still had to go to work, and reluctantly pulled away.

Frankly, he didn’t mind being late. He pouted. “No kisses at work?”

She laughed. “At work, I’m Mad Dog. Mad Dog doesn’t slip into the storage closet to make out with her partner. It sets up a bad precedent.”

“Pity,” Clark said, turning for the stairwell. “And it would have to be the supply closet. I think Ralph’s still tied up in the storage closet.” Well, he hadn’t let him out.

Lois turned him back towards her. “Come here, big fellow.”

He eagerly did as she bid, hoping for another kiss. Unfortunately, she merely wiped his lips with a tissue to clean off her lipstick. He would have to remember to do that on a regular basis now. He couldn’t have the tabloids seeing lipstick smeared across his mouth. He’d add it to part of his spin-change routine. Clark wasn’t worried about Lois seeing it. After tonight, she’d know whose lips Superman had been kissing.

Lois was in her speed walking mode, and they made it to Planet in plenty of time to stop and get some coffee at the espresso stand on the same corner as the Daily Planet.

Clark held up two fingers to the barista.

“Make my mocha caffeinated today,” Lois ordered, changing from her usual decaf. “Whipped cream, half-n-half, two sugars. Tall.”

The barista glanced at Clark with a momentary expression of panic. “Um… okay. Tall full-caff mocha with half-half and whipped cream, two sugars,” he said, working on the drink before looking to Clark. “The usual for you?”

“Yeah, the usual,” Clark murmured, with a raised brow. That must have been some nightmare to change her diet drink order that much.

“Tall black full-caff with two extra shots of espresso, no sugar, no milk,” the barista said, setting the second cup on the counter.

“I’ve got this,” Clark insisted.

Lois picked up her drink and smiled at her partner seductively. The barista noticed and gave Clark an ‘atta-boy’ grin. Clark handed his coffee to Lois to hold as he pulled out his wallet to pay for the drinks. He returned an ‘I’m in seventh heaven about it’ smile back to the barista. It would be their little secret.

Well, Carlos and the Kents knew of Clark and Lois’s secret relationship, too. Clark was too happy about their developing closeness not to have bragged some.

“Still on that health kick I see,” she teased. “Life is short, Clark, order what you want.”

“Life is short? No, Lois, life is long, and you are what you eat,” he countered, and then looked at her appreciatingly. “Well, maybe not you.”

“You sound like my mother,” she complained and handed over his coffee.

They stepped away from the espresso stand to drink their coffees when a shadow started to cover them. He took a sip of his drink, and it tasted like one of Lois’s kisses, sweet, sultry, and delicious. He raised his cup back to his mouth again for another sip as he gazed at the unexpected approaching darkness in the clear sky. That was strange. “What’s going on? I don’t see any storm clouds.”

“Ugh! Clark, how can you drink this slop?” Lois asked, handing over her cup and taking his. “I got yours by mistake.” She looked into the sky. “Solar eclipse?”

“But they always announce those in advance?” he countered, taking a drink of his black coffee. It tasted strong and bitter in comparison; it wasn’t bad, but more like Lois when she was angry.

All at once, the sky above the Daily Planet building went pitch black as if it were the middle of night. It didn’t make any sense. Clark heard a car rushing down the street; the driver probably panicked due to the sudden darkness. He realized it was heading straight for the sidewalk where he, Lois, and others were standing, looking to the sky for explanation on the darkness. Someone was sure to get hurt.

No time to do a quick change. He dropped his coffee and was about to step forward towards the car to slow it down in the darkness, when it swerved towards him, hitting a parked car, which knocked into him and threw him ten feet into some bushes on the sidewalk. Thankfully, he didn’t hit anyone. Pedestrians screamed and scattered like cockroaches, just as the sun reappeared and the careless driver righted his car and took off down the street.

“Clark!” Lois gasped, running to Clark’s side and pulling him to his feet. “Crazy Metropolis drivers! Are you all right?” She examined the back of his head. “You’re not bleeding.”

He rubbed his neck, glad he was the one who was hit instead of anyone else, who could have been seriously injured. “What happened?” he asked, regarding the blackout.

“You got hit by a car! Oh, Clark, I knew something terrible was going to happen and it did,” Lois exclaimed, throwing her arms around him in an embrace. “You could’ve been killed.”

“I’ll be fine,” he said, accepting her worried hug and returning it only loosely as one of their co-workers, Joe ran up.

“You okay, Kent? That man seemed to be gunning for you,” Joe said. “If the sun hadn’t have blocked out, you probably would’ve been hit straight on.”

“It was an accident,” Clark said coolly, looking up to the sky to change the topic off himself. “What happened to the sun?”

“Good question!” Lois said with anticipation, stepping out of her hug. “And it’ll make for an even better story.” She tugged on Clark’s lapels, dusting him off. “Are you sure you’re okay, Chuck? You better not use this as an excuse to…” She glanced over at Joe, and whatever she had been about to say was discarded for something more generic and insulting, “Faint or something.”

“Maybe it’s just my lucky day,” Clark suggested, trying not to let her words sting. “I’ve never fainted, Lois, and I’m not about to start now.”

Lois shook her head. “Come on,” she said, dragging him into the office.

“That concludes EPRAD’s presentation on today’s solar eclipse caused by the so-called ‘Nightfall’ asteroid. Phones are available outside for those of you who need to file your stories immediately,” announced the P.R. Director of EPRAD, which preceded the mad dash to the doors of almost all the reporters from the crowded auditorium.

Lois and Clark alone stood in shock.

“That’s not right,” Clark sputtered, finally noticing that she wasn’t one of the reporters clamoring for the door. “I don’t understand. It didn’t… doesn’t…” He pointed to the stage where the presentation had been held. “It… never… where? Where did it come from? How could they not know of this asteroid’s existence until today? Why didn’t it…? It doesn’t make sense.”

Lois set her hand on his arm. “I understand,” she said with a nod. “I agree with you.”

“You do?” he asked, even more surprised. “We better call this in to Perry.”

“We’ll never make it to a phone now,” Lois said with a sigh, wishing her mobile phone wasn’t at home charging. Her head was still spinning. She remembered bits and pieces of her dream now. Unfortunately, the terror they were about to experience wasn’t as simple as Clark being hit by a car.

“Perry’s going to blow a gasket that we weren’t the first reporters to get this on the wire,” Clark grumbled.

“Probably,” she agreed. “We’re missing something, something they’re not telling us. Let’s find someone who will fill in the blanks.”

Her partner grinned at her. “You’re a genius!”

She shrugged. “Again with those truths, Kent. Watch out, Mad Dog’s on duty.”

His eyes sparkled in her direction, and he took hold of her hand to give it a brief squeeze as if to say he liked Mad Dog Lane just as much as his girlfriend Lois. His ever-constant support of her career was still as sexy as it had been from the beginning.

As they filed out to the aisle and started to head for the doors, Professor Stephen Daitch, who had hosted the press conference, approached from behind them.

“Ah. Mr. Kent, might I have a moment, please?” Professor Daitch asked.

“Go on, Lois, I’ll catch up,” Clark said.

Lois threw Clark a look, telling him that he better share with her everything that Daitch told him.

He briefly nodded, and she continued on her way out the doors.

She wanted to stay, but the professor had approached her partner, and only her partner. As much as she hated it, she’d rather have the scoop than scare away a possible source.

A few minutes later, Clark caught up with her while she waited impatiently in line at the phone bank.

“About time!” she roared, grabbing his arm and dragging him down the path to the street. “Come on. It’ll be faster to tell Perry in person.”

Lois could practically feel as well as hear the snickers of the other reporters, whom she normally elbowed out of the way to get the phones first on a big story such as this. She didn’t know what was happening to her. She never froze, never. Today, she had done just that. She had frozen, half with some unknown fear, and half with realization that her nightmares from the night before were coming true. These visions were ruining the fierce streak she needed to be at the top of her field. Sure, they gave her an edge in another way; she sometimes knew things that nobody else knew. Right now, the only information she had was that something horrible was about to happen.

Whoop-de-dah. Big help there, psychic ability. Thanks, thanks a whole heck of a lot.

She felt a little better that Clark had been stunned right alongside her.

When they had gotten far enough away from the other reporters, Lois pulled Clark a fraction of an inch closer and squeezed his arm. “What did you find out?”

“Daitch wants to meet with Superman tonight,” Clark whispered. “He asked me to pass a message to him.”

“Wait a minute. He came to you? What about me? Aren’t I known to have a close relationship with Superman?” she grumbled. “Closer than anyone?”

“Lo-is,” he groaned, looking at her with a strained expression. “That’s exactly what Superman doesn’t want people to know.”

Her heart skipped a beat before starting to flutter in a familiar way it hadn’t in a long while. Had Clark just admitted to her that he knew that Superman still had feelings for her? She pushed down the joy she felt at this thought. It didn’t matter what Superman felt for Lois. She was with Clark now, and Superman could just enjoy his life as a superhero; since that was the life that he had chosen, instead of her. “That’s not what I meant, and you know it,” she snapped. “Must you always put a romantic bent to our friendship?”

Our friendship?” Clark repeated, his voice cracking.

She rolled her eyes as she flagged down a cab. “Me and you know who. Not, you and me, Chuck.”

He tried to hide it as they climbed into the cab, but Lois saw him exhale in relief. Men! Clark kept saying it didn’t matter to him that she had once been, and might always still have some affection for Superman; yet, it was at moments such as this that she knew it did matter to Clark, and it mattered very much. Still, he brushed her cheek with his lips at this pronouncement after they were in the cab.

“Clark!” she scolded, pushing him over and glancing out the window to see if any of their rivals had spotted this romantic gesture. “Not here!” she hissed. “I’ve been laughed at enough for one day.”

“What are you talking about? Who’s been laughing at you?” he asked with concern.

Lois waved off the issue. “The Daily Planet,” she told the driver. There were more important things to discuss. “So, how should we approach this scoop?”

“This is on a need-to-know basis, and I have a feeling that this isn’t something we should tell anyone else,” he said softly. “It could be nothing…”

“Bull-hockey! You and I both know that they wouldn’t ask to see him, if it wasn’t something,” she said in a hushed tone so the driver wouldn’t overhear. “Anyway, if we’re present at the meeting, it would get Perry off our backs for not being the first ones on the wire about Nightfall.” She went through the scenario in her mind. “Okay, why don’t I go with him to the meeting, and you stay at the office and have Perry hold the front page for me?”

Clark looked at her incredulously. “You go, and I stay? Uh... No. I have a better idea. How about I tell him that Daitch wants to meet him at eight, and then I sneak over there early to get a good spot to see what I can learn, and you stay at the office and cover for me with Perry?”

“Well, that leaves me out in the cold,” Lois responded, crossing her arms in a huff.

“What cold? You’ll be writing up the story,” he said.

“While you get to do the fun stuff,” she countered.

He exhaled. “All right. We do my plan, but we ask him to meet with you after the meeting for an exclusive. It’s not like we’ll be able to do dinner tonight anyway,” he said, rubbing his hand through his hair in frustration.

Lois put a hand to his cheek and turned his face towards hers. “You and I can still do dinner, Chuck, just us two. We don’t really need him there, do we?”

Clark placed his hand over hers. “I love you.”

She smiled and rested her forehead against his. “At least, that knock to your head didn’t scramble your brains,” she said, gently placing a kiss to his lips. They were now far enough away from the other reporters for anyone to notice and ridicule her that Mad Dog had gone soft.

Cat sat at her desk, busily typing away on her latest ‘scoop’, another celebrity engagement. She sighed. This kind of news was beneath her, but at least it was something titillating for “Cat’s Corner”.

She glanced over at Lois’s empty desk with a pang of envy. It had felt good to stretch her investigative muscles again, trailing Harrington. If only Cat hadn’t lost him after he went to meet Rourke. Perry had thought she had done a good job, though. She was ready for something bigger, meatier, and less gossipy than… well, gossip.

Maybe it was time for Cat to concentrate her efforts back on Luthor again. He had to be sneaking women into his penthouse somehow. She was sure that was the key to her story. Once she figured that out, she’d be able to discover whom he had been spending his time with and work on the why. She rolled her eyes. With Luthor, she thought the why was larger than the obvious reason.

Jimmy walked up to Cat’s desk. “Cat, you asked to be notified when the copier repairman arrived.”

Cat nearly jumped to her feet in excitement. Phil! She ran her hands over her hair, and down her skintight dress. She had picked out this outfit particularly. It wasn’t quite as revealing as some that she owned, but it wasn’t conservative either. “Thanks, Jimmy,” she said, and walked over to the Information desk.

Joe was talking to a pudgy man, in a gray suit, eating an apple. She waited patiently tapping her foot. She glanced around, not seeing Phil anywhere. Had she forgotten what he looked like? No, impossible! Where was Phil? Had Joe already sent him to the copier room?

“Joe,” she interrupted, unable to wait any longer. “Jimmy said that the repairman was here.”

The stranger threw his apple core into Joe’s trash, wiped his hand on his gray suit, and held it out to her. His mouth broadened into a smile that told Cat that he thought he had died and gone to heaven. “Ted. My friends call me Teddy, as in bear,” he said.

Cat glanced at his hand, otherwise ignoring it. Thanks, but no thanks. Even she had standards, and Teddy didn’t meet them. “Cat Grant. Joe, the copier repairman?”

Joe looked at Ted and then at Cat. “This is him, Cat. Teddy.”

“Teddy?” Cat stared at the man in alarm. “What about Phil? Where’s Phil? He’s our usual repairman.”

Teddy shrugged. “Sorry, you’re stuck with me. I got the ticket for this job,” he said, holding up the work order.

Cat’s shoulders dropped. “Oh. Come on. I’ll show you the problem,” she said, heading towards the copier room. Well, if Phil wasn’t going to show, at least she could pump Teddy for information about his co-worker. She only hoped that he knew something. “So, do you know Phil? He’s amazing.” Subtle much, Cat, she scolded herself. She coughed. “With his hands… er… he seemed to be able to fix anything.”

“I would be too if I had an aeronautical engineering degree from MIT and used to work for NASA,” Teddy replied, setting down his tool bag next to the copier.

“Wow, that’s a big career change, going from NASA to repairman,” Cat said. She was thrilled that Phil had a brain to match his sex drive, impressive like Cat’s, but maybe he had other problems, perhaps alcoholism, gambling, or kleptomania.

“Well, it wasn’t by choice, from what I understand,” Teddy explained. “NASA let go lots of engineers when they lost the Space Station bid to EPRAD.”

“Oh, right. I remember that,” she mumbled, only vaguely recalling Lois’s article rehashing the press release back when her co-worker had been an intern. She felt better about Phil’s vices. He could have just fallen on hard times. “I thought he was our regular repairman.”

“Maybe so,” Teddy said, opening the door of the machine. “But the way I understand it he’s on vacation.”

Just her luck.

“Yeah, he goes to Barbados with his family for two weeks every year about this time,” Teddy went on, peering into the machine.

Family? Phil was married? He must be more than just married if he had a family, he must also have kids. Cat felt as if Teddy had stabbed her through the heart with a sharp icicle. Oh, God! She raised her hand to mouth to stifle her gasp. That means she had glorious sex with a married man, breaking her number one rule.

Cat felt dirty, ugly, and horrible. She recalled instantly the anguish of discovering her fiancé had cheated on her. From that moment onwards, she had vowed to herself that she would never be “the other woman” nor give her heart to another man to crush, especially to such a man, and here she had done both at once.

Oh, sure, it was possible Miranda had sprayed him with Revenge, and Phil hadn’t meant to cheat on his wife, and hadn’t been able to control his attraction to Cat. If that were the case, no wonder he hadn’t called Cat. If he hadn’t been sprayed by Revenge, why call Cat when he had already gotten what he had wanted from her? She hadn’t remembered seeing a wedding ring on his finger, but it was possible he didn’t wear one since he worked with his hands, or maybe she hadn’t looked too hard, either. She closed her eyes, trying to keep control of her overwhelming emotions in front of this stranger.

Teddy leaned back on his heels. “I think I discovered your problem, Cat,” he said, pulling one of her scarves from the gears and holding it up to her.

Normally wispy and flowery, the scarf was now greasy and torn. For some reason, it reminded Cat of her life.

“It’s ruined! Completely ruined!” she screamed, running from the room, unable to stop the tears.

***End of Part 82***

Part 83

You may leave your comments here .

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/14/14 12:32 PM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.