From part 3:

"Yeah, I think so and then I think we should go because Becky must be feeling lonely at your apartment," Lois said. She was feeling kind of sad that they had left the little girl alone even though she had been the one who had wanted to stay there. At first Lois had wanted to stay with her, but then Becky had insisted that she should go and help Clark. Lois smiled when she remembered what Becky had said, <He isn't Superman you know. So you have to go and help him carry the groceries.> Lois looked at Clark. Well, maybe he wasn't Superman, but he was a strong guy. She remembered when she had caught Clark wearing just a towel and she really knew how well defined he was.

"Yeah, you're right," Clark said. He was touched by the fact that Lois was worried about Becky.

Part 4:

Some time later Lois and Clark arrived back at Clark's apartment. Lois helped Clark pick up the bags from her car and they entered the building.

"Becky, we're home," Clark said. He noticed that his apartment was dark; just the tiny lights coming from the Christmas tree were illuminating the place.

"Hey, it took you a long time!" Becky said from her spot on the couch. "I didn't know what to do anymore to keep myself busy so I got dressed up, turned off the lights and just started looking at the trees. I almost fell asleep, you know."

Lois and Clark laughed. "Sorry, Becky, but you don't know what the supermarkets are like at this time of the year," Lois said. "But you look lovely in this pink dress," she added.

"Thanks, Lois." Becky blushed.

"Well, ladies, I'm going to the kitchen to prepare our supper. You two find something to do." Clark headed for the kitchen area.

"Hey, I want to help too!" Lois protested.

"Lois, you don't know how to cook," Clark pointed out. He didn't want to spend Christmas in the bathroom.

"I told you that I know how to make the stuffing. Why, Kent? Don't you believe me?" Lois crossed her arms above her chest, staring at him challengingly.

Clark looked at her. She was so cute when she got mad. He liked that challenging look. "Okay, Lois, I give up. You can make the stuffing, but I'll make the rest."

"Fine!" she said.

Becky started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Lois asked Becky.

"You two. You're acting like kids. It is so funny to see old people acting like kids." The little girl kept laughing.

"Old people? I'm not old!" Lois complained.

Clark started laughing too. "Lois, you are really acting like a kid."

"Oh, yeah?" She looked at him provokingly. "You both will pay then." Lois started chasing Clark and Becky. They ran the opposite way.

"Becky, we're two against one. We should do something," Clark said.

At that point they were all laughing. Clark and Becky cornered Lois against the archway that led to Clark's bedroom and started tickling Lois.

"That's not fair!" Lois said between giggles.

They kept tickling her until she managed to run away from them. She ran behind the couch and they ran towards her. At one point Lois and Clark ran onto each other and fell on the couch, Clark on top of Lois. They were laughing but, as soon as they realized what position they were in, they got serious and just stared into each other's eyes. Something passed between them at that moment; they didn't know what it was but something that made an electrical power run in, out and between them. They slowly leaned toward each other as if some kind of magnet was attracting one to the other. They kept staring into each other's eyes. Lois' heart began beating faster and she could see the magic and...something else in Clark's eyes. Clark held his breath and...

"Hey, I want to play too!" Becky yelled. She was just a child and she didn't realize what she had done.

Lois and Clark were drawn away from the spell they were in. Clark slowly stood up. Lois was still lying on the couch, feeling butterflies in her stomach. She didn't know what would have happened if Becky hadn't interrupted them. Well, she knew what would have happened but she was too scared to think about that now.

"I'm sorry, Lois," Clark said. "Did I...did I hurt you?" He sounded still affected by what had happened...or almost happened.

Lois stood up. "No, you didn't." She gave him a shy smile.

He smiled back. "Well...so I think we should start cooking because it will be midnight in a few hours and we haven't prepared anything yet."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Lois agreed and, turning towards Becky, she said "And you, young lady, will look for something else to do while Clark and I are taking care of the supper."

"Yeah, what else?" She chuckled and went to sit on the couch.

A few hours, and some burning stuffing later, Lois and Clark finished the supper.

"Lois, I'm so glad you knew how to make the stuffing," Clark teased.

"Yeah, what would you do without me?" Lois teased back.

"Well, I'm just glad that I bought a lot of ingredients because you burnt a lot of them." Clark rolled his eyes.

"Hey, it was just twice and it was your fault because you kept distracting me." Well, truth be told, what had distracted her were her thoughts about all the times she and Clark had kissed each other and how she wanted to do that again. But this time a real kiss - not one to fool a maid or fool an army guy like Trask. She felt her cheeks burning and she knew she was blushing. <Get a grip, Lois!>

"Oh, yeah? And how was I distracting you?" he asked her. He had noticed that Lois was distracted while she was making the stuffing and he was wondering if it had to do with what had happened earlier.

"Never mind," she said, not daring to look at him.

"Lo-is," he said.

"Oh, it was nothing. It was just that you were talking a lot and I hate it because when I'm doing something that needs concentration, I just want silence. That's why I burnt the stuffing twice." She spoke fast...that famous Lane babble mode.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know," he apologized. He wasn't sure if that was the truth, because he didn't remember talking that much. In fact, he was pretty sure that he had been pretty quiet. He had been too busy thinking about Lois and what a great time they had had these past few days. Lois hadn't been quite herself lately and he didn't know if that was good or bad. He had noticed she had been quiet at times and that on a few occasions, like at the supermarket, she had been a little emotional. Lois showed him her emotional side sometimes but she had been doing that a lot lately. He wondered if she was acting that way because of Christmas. Well, she had thanked him for wanting her to spend the holiday with him, so maybe she was just glad.

"Oh, Clark, did I sound that bad? Sorry, that wasn't what I meant. I was just distracted, that's all. I'm sorry." She looked at him. "I didn't want to hurt you with what I said."

Clark smiled. "Hey, that's okay. Let's just arrange everything on the table. Becky must be starving and sleepy too. It's past her bedtime."

"Well, it's Christmas. Kids can stay awake." She was glad he had changed the subject. "But you're right, she must be sleepy."

They picked up all the food they had made and started arranging the table. After finishing that, Lois said, "Clark, I have to take off these clothes and put on the dress I bought for tonight. And I think I could use a shower too, if you don't mind."

"No, I don't mind. But hey, did you buy a dress just because you would spend Christmas here?" Clark was feeling butterflies in his stomach. Lois had bought a new dress because of him. Oh, okay, not because of him but because it was Christmas but...still, she didn't have to do that.

"Well, I was shopping and I thought that I should pick up something new because, well...you know, it's Christmas. For example, I don't think you will wear what you're wearing now."

"Yeah, I think you're right. Besides, we just cooked. We can't have food smell on us." He smiled.

"Right, so I'm going first, okay?" she asked him.

"Okay, no problem."

He watched her pick up a little bag she had brought with her when they had arrived at his apartment earlier and disappear through the archway that led to his bedroom.

He stayed in the kitchen, making sure everything was all right, and waited for Lois to come back so he could go and take a shower and change, too.

Some time later, Lois came back and entered the kitchen where Clark was waiting. Clark just stared at her. She was wearing a low-cut black evening dress and her hair was curly. <How did she do that?> "You're very beautiful," he finally said. She was indeed very beautiful. Clark's heart was beating fast. All he wanted to do was kiss her there and then. She was just gorgeous. He loved when she wore black. He smiled. Yeah, he loved black.

"Thanks." She blushed. She was feeling all warm inside because of the way Clark was looking at her. The butterflies in her stomach were making her shiver and she was actually feeling a little dizzy. She didn't know how Clark could make her feel this way. He was her partner and best friend, of course, but why was she feeling like this? He melted her just by staring at her the way he was staring now. "I guess it's your turn." She finally found her voice.

"Uh?" Clark seemed in the clouds.

"Your turn. Won't you take a shower and change clothes?" She looked at him. <Wow, I didn't know I had this effect on him! Okay, okay, I knew I had some effect on him, but it seems he isn't hiding it anymore.> She chuckled.

"Oh, right...sorry." He looked at her one last time and headed towards his bedroom.

It didn't take long for Clark to come back and this time it was Lois who was staring at him. He was wearing black pants that fit him very well and a black shirt. <Wow, he looks great in black,> Lois thought.

"So?" he asked her. He noticed she was staring at him. Her mouth was slightly open.

"You're...very handsome, Clark," she finally said.

"Thanks." He smiled.

They stared at each other for some time before Lois spoke again. "Clark, I need to get Becky. I don't know if you noticed, but she is sleeping on the couch," Lois said, going into the living room.

Clark joined her. "Do you want me to wake her up?"

"No, I'll do it." Lois kneeled on the floor beside the couch. "Sweetie, wake up. Dinner is ready and it's already past midnight," she said while caressing Becky's hair gently.

"Oh...I'm sleepy," she said and closed her eyes again.

"Oh, come on. There's chocolate for dessert." Lois knew that if she was a child and there was chocolate for dessert she would forget she was sleepy.

"Really? Chocolate?" Becky sat up.

"Yeah, a big chocolate cake with chocolate frosting." Lois smiled; she was eager for that dessert too.

Becky ran towards the table.

Lois looked at Clark and smiled.

"Wow, I'm impressed!" Clark said.

"Well, it always works for me. Give me chocolate for dessert and I'll do everything you want." She winked at Clark.

"Really?" He grinned.

"Oh, I'm not talking about that." She slapped his arm playfully.

"Ouch!" he said.

"Yeah, that's for you to remember not to tease me, farmboy." She smiled. She loved playing with Clark. It felt really good.

"Okay, okay," he said. "I won't tease you anymore. Scout's honor," he said, crossing his fingers.

"Okay, now let's eat something because I'm starving," Lois said and went to the kitchen. Clark followed her.

Becky was looking at them. "Hey, I thought you'd never come. I want turkey!!! I'm starving," she said.

"Yeah, we are all starving, Clark." Lois turned to him.

"Okay, let's eat," he said.

"Oh, before that, Merry Christmas!" Becky exclaimed and hugged Clark.

"Merry Christmas, Becky," Clark said and kissed his cousin's cheek.

Lois walked towards Becky. "Merry Christmas," she said.

"Oh, Lois, thanks. You two are already giving me a Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas to you too," Becky said and hugged Lois.

When Lois went to say a merry Christmas to Clark, he went towards her and said, "I want to save that for later."

"Later?" Lois stared at him, surprised.

He blushed. "Yeah, just trust me."

Lois just nodded. She didn't know why Clark wanted to wait to say Merry Christmas, but she was going to wait and find out. She had never been a patient person, so she didn't know why she now wanted to wait to see what Clark had meant by 'later'. If this had been a while ago, she would have demanded to know what he had meant by that, but today some kind of spell was making her want to wait. But because of that she was feeling butterflies in her stomach again.

During dinner, Lois and Clark kept looking at each other. Sometimes when Lois noticed that he looked at her when she was looking at him she just turned her head, or sometimes when she felt courageous enough, she just smiled at him. Clark seemed to do the same thing. Sometimes both of them looked at each other at the same time and that made them feel a little uncomfortable, but a little warm inside too.

Lois was still thinking about what he had said a few minutes ago and she was wondering when he was going to tell her why he wanted to wait. It was already Christmas, after all, and he still hadn't said anything. Well, she had resolved to wait and she would wait. In the meantime, she would just enjoy all the talk and dinner.

Becky made them talk a lot about the Planet and their work and told them how excited she was about spending this time with them. She also told them she was just a little disappointed that she hadn't seen Superman. Clark said he could arrange that in the morning. That would be one of his Christmas gifts for her.

Clark noticed that Lois was enjoying everything so much. He enjoyed seeing how adorable she was these days and especially now. The way she was treating his little cousin was amazing too. She seemed thrilled with the girl. She didn't look like the same Lois Lane who had told him a couple of days ago that she wouldn't have kids. He thought that Becky was a little like Lois and so maybe Lois liked her because of that.

"Clark, I can't eat anymore," Lois said. "I think I ate too much and I'm going to have to lose some of this at the gym next month." She smiled at him.

"You don't need a gym, Lois. You're wonderful." He smiled back. Something in her eyes thrilled him. Lois was always beautiful - but this night she was different. She had that girlish way that he had seen only once, a few months ago when she was in Smallville with him. The black dress she wore made her even more beautiful than she already was. The low-cut V showed some cleavage and Clark had to exert considerable will power not to stare.

"Thanks, Clark, but I think it's you that doesn't need a gym, even though you eat like an eight-year-old. One day you'll have to tell me your secret." She laughed. Once again the picture of him wearing just his towel came back to her mind. How many times would she remember that?

"Well, maybe if you prove yourself worthy I'll tell you my secret someday," he teased her back. Yeah, he was sure he would tell her his big secret someday and he was sure she wouldn't like to hear it.

"Oh, really? I can't wait to be worthy then." She rolled her eyes to tease him. Clark just laughed. He knew she was worth it already; he was just waiting to see when Lois would realize that and when she would think of him that way.

"I'm done too," Becky said and with a yawn she added, "and I'm sleepy."

"Okay, okay, so I think it's time to clean up everything," Clark said.

"I'll help you, Clark," Lois said.

"Oh no, I think you could help get Becky to bed. She is really tired. Can you do that for me, Lois?"

"Oh, sure," she said. Standing up and walking towards Becky, she picked up the little girl. "Come here, I'll put you to bed."

Lois helped Becky put her pajamas on and then go to bed. Lois would sleep in Clark's bed with Becky so she put the sleepy girl in the left side of the bed.

"Have sweet dreams, little one," Lois said and kissed Becky's forehead. She didn't know why she was feeling so attached to the girl. Maybe it was because she was Clark's cousin. She didn't know the reason but certainly she was feeling something she had never thought she would feel...she was feeling like a mom.

When Lois had almost left the room, Becky said, "Lois?"

Lois turned around and sat on the bed. "Yes?"

"He loves you," Becky said.

"What?" Lois stared at the little girl. She didn't know what Becky was talking about.

"My cousin...Clark loves you," she said in a sleepy voice.

Lois didn't know what to do or say.

"He loves you," the little girl repeated before falling asleep.

Lois just sat there for some time. What did Becky mean? Of course Lois knew Clark loved her, but she knew it was just like a sister. Well, actually, if she could remember properly she was the one who had implied their relationship was that of a brother and sister. Clark had never said that. In fact, he had told her once he loved her. It was when she had almost married Lex but, she remembered, he said that only to stop her from marrying someone he knew to be a dangerous person. He had said that day in front of the Planet that he wanted the same thing she wanted for them: to be friends forever. Was it still true? Did he really want just friendship? She had been feeling differently ever since Clark had asked her to spend Christmas with him. The past days had been magic, just like Clark had said Christmas should be. What would happen now? What did that little girl know that she didn't?

Lois suddenly remembered that Clark had said something about later, and she decided that she had already been there too long and it was time to go back to the living room. Deciding she needed to know what Clark had meant by 'later', Lois opened the door and walked towards the living room.

Clark had watched Lois picking up Becky and walking towards his bedroom. He still couldn't stop thinking about what he had been picturing ever since he had first seen Becky and Lois together...he was still imagining they were a family. The thought warmed his heart even though he knew it wasn't real.

He was glad, though, that Lois was being so gentle to a child. He remembered how sad he had felt when she had told him she didn't want kids. Actually, no one really believed that Lois would ever be a mom or that she could take care of a child, but Clark was seeing a different side of her now. Well, maybe it was because it was Christmas and even an Ice Queen like Lois couldn't be mean at that time of the year. No, Clark knew he wasn't being fair to Lois. She wasn't an Ice Queen and she never could be mean to a child; even though she had said all those horrible things about Christmas, he knew she was just as much of a sentimental softie as he was about the holiday. He knew she had had an awful childhood and it was because of that that she didn't like the season they were in. Could he have changed that now? He could see Lois was different...but did that mean that she was changing her mind about everything? Well, he was going to find out that night. He smiled when he thought about what he had in mind. Becky was already in bed, so when Lois came back from his bedroom it would be the time for her to have a really special Christmas. In the meantime, he would just wait and finish his chores and then he would go to the living room and prepare Lois' surprise. He just hoped it would take some time for Lois to come back.

When Lois stepped into the living room she noticed the place was dark, illuminated solely by the little lights on the Christmas tree. It was so beautiful. A Christmas song played softly in the background and she saw Clark sitting on the couch, looking at the little Christmas tree she had bought.

"Sorry, but Becky wanted to talk before going to bed and even though she was sleepy, you know how kids are," Lois said and just stood there, looking at Clark.

"It's okay. Lois, come here. I want to show you something." He stood up and reached for her hand.

Lois smiled at him and held his hand. He walked her to the couch and then sat beside her. Lois just stared at him. She was feeling a little nervous because this was their first opportunity to be alone.

Clark smiled at her and picked up something from under the tree. "I want to give you your Christmas gift now."

"Oh, Clark, you didn't have to. Besides, shouldn't we wait for morning to unwrap the gifts?" She was as curious as a little girl to know what Clark had picked out for her, but she didn't want him to notice that.

"Can you wait?" he teased her.

"Well..." Lois hesitated.

"I'm kidding. This is for you; I hope you'll like it. There's also something Becky bought for you but she'll give you that in the morning." Clark handed her a little box wrapped in red paper and ribbon.

Lois picked up the box and smiled at him. She started to unwrap her gift. When she finished unwrapping it, she noticed it was a jewelry box. She opened the box and saw a beautiful heart-shaped necklace. "Clark, it's beautiful." She looked into his eyes. They were shining and she could see there was something more.

"Merry Christmas." He smiled. "And Lois, you can open the heart. It's a locket." He was a little nervous to see her reaction.

Lois opened the locket and saw a picture of the two of them together taken during the Kerth Awards ceremony. There was something engraved on the locket: 'I love you with all my heart'. She didn't know what to say. She shyly smiled at Clark but she was too emotional and she couldn't hide the tears that were in her eyes. So they fell down her cheek.

Clark reached out and brushed her tears away. "Merry Christmas, Lois."

Lois caressed the hand that was touching her cheek and, looking into Clark's eyes, said, "You've given me the most amazing Christmas of my life and I'll never be able to thank you enough. You are giving me the most beautiful gift in the world, and I'm not talking about the necklace. I'm talking about your heart and your love. If there's something I can do to make your Christmas as special as the one you are giving me right now, just tell me...because I would do anything for you."

"You are already giving me the most special Christmas of my life, Lois, simply because you're here with me." He held her other hand and squeezed it gently.

"Oh, Clark." How big a fool was she? She had been fooling herself for so long. She loved Clark and she could see his love for her was just as strong as her love for him. The way he was touching her now, the gift, the look in his eyes, everything that he had done ever since she had met him...all was because of love. Clark loved her and with that realization she knew she wasn't scared, as she should be; she felt warm inside and safe, safe in a way she hadn't known she could feel. Clark would never hurt her or betray her trust. Clark was there for her all those times when she felt alone and he would be there for her forever if she would let him.

She looked at him. She knew he was waiting for something, waiting to see if she loved him; not like a brother as she had fooled not just him but herself, too, that day that the Nightfall Asteroid would have hit the Earth. He was waiting for her. Instead of talking, she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his. She felt sparks running through her just like when they had been on the couch earlier that day, but this time it was even more powerful.

Clark couldn't believe Lois was kissing him. He had dreamed about this ever since he had met her when she had stormed into Perry's office during his interview. He had kissed Lois a couple of times, but nothing had prepared him for this kiss...the kiss they were sharing now. Her hands had gone to his head and they were pulling him against her. Her lips were hungrily devouring him and he could smell her perfume and feel her heart beating fast and matching his. Somehow Lois ended up on his lap and after some amazing kisses they came up for air. Looking into his eyes, Lois said, "Merry Christmas, Clark." She smiled at him.

"Wow, that was a great gift, Lois," he teased her.

"Well, you can have your real gift now, but I somehow doubt you'll like it as much as you liked that one, so if you're a good boy, there's more where that came from." She winked at him.

They smiled at each other. Clark touched his forehead to Lois'. "I love you, Lois."

She gave him a quick peck on the lips. "I love you too, Clark."

They held each other tightly, as if they were trying to tell each other that it wasn't a dream. Lois knew that she would always be safe in Clark's arms and that she would never regret saying 'I love you' to him. Clark knew that his heart was already part of hers and that he would spend the rest of his life with Lois and show her every day how much he loved her.

"Hmmm, you know, I have to thank Becky in the morning," Lois said, breaking the silence.

"Why?" Clark asked her.

"Never mind." She reached for him and kissed him and the rest of the world was forgotten.

Becky watched the couple kissing on the couch and smiled. She had succeeded. She walked towards Clark's nightstand to pick up the phone, dialed a number and waited until the other person answered the phone.

"Hello."

"Hello. It's me," Becky said.

"Oh, Becky! How is everything there?"

"They are together. I did it!" Becky tried to hide her enthusiasm.

"Really?" the person asked her.

"Yeah. They are kissing on the couch." The little girl blushed and smiled.

"Yeah, I knew they needed a little angel to help them. I've been thinking about them for a long time and I didn't know what to do until I thought maybe a child could help them get together. Clark has always liked children and at this time of the year everyone likes spending time with kids, even when they're not their own. And even though Lois looks like a hard person she has a soft heart, maybe even softer than Clark's. Thanks, Becky, you've made your cousin a very happy man."

"I couldn't have done it without you. I liked playing the matchmaker, especially in this case. I've been a fan of Lois and Clark for a long time now."

"Well, Merry Christmas, Becky."

"Merry Christmas!" Becky said. "Oh, when are you and Uncle Jonathan coming back to Metropolis?" she asked.

Martha smiled. "We'll be there in the afternoon."

"Great. Bye, Aunt Martha."

"Bye, Becky."

After hanging up the phone Becky went back to bed. She knew she had done something amazing that day and she was proud of herself. While she drifted off to sleep, Lois and Clark kept having the best Christmas ever because Clark had the love of his life in his arms and Lois found again not only the magic of Christmas but a love that she had thought she would never have.

~ THE END ~

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas smile

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)