OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here!

Thanks to everyone who's reading. smile

Corrina.

#92422 12/29/12 08:21 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I must say that I've been checking the boards since last night, with baited breath, searching for Part 8, here it is... and, well, IT'S TOO SHORT! hyper I want more!

Poor Clark, basing his entire life on what Lana and Tempus did to him. I just want to give him a hug.

Lois, the excellient reporter, is getting him to admit things he doesn't want to admit. It helps that she's telling him things about herself. Coming to the village, not wanting to return. Maybe this would be a good place for him to lay-low for a while. Until he's fully healed, fully invulnerable again, it isn't safe to go off wandering in the jungle by himself. wink He should just stay there with Lois.

So, Lois was shot. Now, I (and I'm certain Kent) want to know more. If the gunrunners had shot her in the leg, how had she gotten so far away from civilization to end up found by the Bangla? Tempus had said he was dropping Clark where "she" was, so I'm going to take a huge leap and guess that he somehow was involved with getting Lois to the middle Africa, if not shot by gunrunners, and left for dead. Since her leg wound got infected, I'm going to guess she somehow ran off into the jungle / forest away from the gunrunners and got lost / passed out near the boundries and was found... More please! These few drops are not enough information.

I find it interesting that she hasn't mentioned her son to Clark. That seems more like an old Lois sort of protective instinct than a new Lois one.

I love the ending lines:

His expression mirrored her surprise.

But, then …

From the midst of his amazement, a smile slowly unfolded.

A smile.

Tentative. Faltering.

Glorious.

It dissolved the layer of aloofness, giving Lois her first unveiled glimpse of the man who had dropped into her life.

He was beautiful.

On the inside.

And on the outside, too.
Yes, Lois. He's a man. You're a woman. Perhaps you need to draw him a diagram (or 100, it might take him a while to catch on).

Sigh, now I have to wait yet another week.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#92423 12/30/12 03:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved the smile at the end but I agree it is too short. I am greedy and want much much more!Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#92424 01/01/13 06:13 AM
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Lol no footy? eek Lois is already becoming a part of Clark, though he doesn't know it yet. Carry on Lois. clap

KateB
#92425 01/01/13 04:12 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Well, they are moving forward. We now better understand how Lois came to this place. Clark has actually declared his intention to leave, which is the first step in agreeing to stay.

They are making progress. Still, Clark has been so throughly hurt, it will take a long, long time. Still, he has come a long way if he is able to smile.

John Pack Lambert
#92426 01/02/13 08:05 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Hi Corrina,

Sorry I didn't post FDK for the last parts, but I've been reading, enjoying your story and checking the boards to find it. Addicted? Who? Me?

What a wonderful fic!

wave

Sydney

Non ! non, c’est bien plus beau lorsque c’est inutile !
(Edmond Rostand)
#92427 01/05/13 06:53 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Virginia Thanks for waiting around for the new part. Glad it wasn't too much of a disappointment - other than the length, that is wink

If the gunrunners had shot her in the leg, how had she gotten so far away from civilization to end up found by the Bangla?
I've been meaning to make a point for a while, and you've given me the prod I needed.

Lois's new 'family' in the Congo are called the Bangala. Io wondered if it were too much like Bangla (from Bangladesh). If I had made up the name, she would have had a good point. However, Bangala are/were a people living along the Congo River in the early 20th century, 'discovered' by European missionaries. 'Bangala' means 'River People'. Sorry if there's been any confusion (not to mention that I should have said this weeks ago!)

I find it interesting that she hasn't mentioned her son to Clark. That seems more like an old Lois sort of protective instinct than a new Lois one.
Good point. *We* trust Clark, but Lois has every reason to be protective, particularly of her son.

Laura I love the fact that one Clark smile can hurry things along.

Kate

Lol no footy?
cool Two Americans playing Aussie Rules in the Congo? That might have taken some explaining!

Lois is already becoming a part of Clark, though he doesn't know it yet.
Yep.

John Yes, they are making progress. Clark is a young and fit man, who enjoys sport. He got caught up in the game. I had to get a smile in there somewhere.

Sydney

Hi. Thanks for dropping by. Glad you're enjoying the story.

Thanks for the comments. clap

Corrina.

#92428 01/05/13 08:11 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've been meaning to make a point for a while, and you've given me the prod I needed.

Lois's new 'family' in the Congo are called the Bangala. Io wondered if it were too much like Bangla (from Bangladesh).
Oh, I didn't know of either tribe. I realized your story was set in with Congolese tribe, just a typo missing an "a". laugh Interesting that you've based this village on reality. Can't wait to see what's coming next.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#92429 01/06/13 03:56 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Lois's new 'family' in the Congo are called the Bangala. Io wondered if it were too much like Bangla (from Bangladesh). If I had made up the name, she would have had a good point. However, Bangala are/were a people living along the Congo River in the early 20th century, 'discovered' by European missionaries. 'Bangala' means 'River People'. Sorry if there's been any confusion (not to mention that I should have said this weeks ago!)
Actually what slightly confused me is I looked up Bangala in wikipedia and learned that it is a dialect of Lingala/ another name for Lingala. Bangala itself is spoken by people in Iriental PRovince in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), eastern Uganda and in South Sudan. It is largely used as a language by people not historically connected with Lingala but who adopted it as that language spread culturally to the west and south of its initial location.

However I did another search recently and came across the article on Makanza, which was formerly named Bangala Station, and is the main city on the Congo River in Equateur Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The city of Makanza was a European-built trading post by 1890 and was later named New Antwerp. It is also from that article that I learned the Bangala are a specific people, and were among the first to come in contact with Europeans in that part of Congo.

However since you pointed out that this story is set in alt-world, I decided that we can explain the Bangala being so little connected with the outside world as a result of various changes between out world and alt-world.

John Pack Lambert
#92430 01/06/13 04:02 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Lol no footy?
cool Two Americans playing Aussie Rules in the Congo? That might have taken some explaining!
Hey, this is alt world. You already made it so Bangala apparently has not become the regional lingua-franca of north-east Democratic Republic of the Congo and ajacent parts of Uganda and South Sudan but remained the descriptor of a specific and small group of people.

This is a world where Elivs Presley and Charleston Heston were presidents of the US, it would not take much to make it a world where Australian Rules football became internationally popular.

OK, I have been reading your "Aussie Rules" story this week, so I onlynow understand why people even expected footy. Still, I think Lois and Clark playing it here would fit within the accepted parameters of alt-world.

John Pack Lambert
#92431 01/11/13 10:15 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Virginia

Interesting that you've based this village on reality
Loosely based, yes. But there's some of my invention in there, too.

John

This is what I used as my starting point ...

In the 19th century, before the creation of the Congo Free State, the Bangala, or 'river people', were a group of similar Bantu peoples living and trading along the bend of the Congo River that reached from Irebu at the mouth of the Ubangi River to the Mongala River. They spoke similar languages, such as Losengo, but their trade language was Bangi, which was the most prestigious language between Stanley Pool (Kinshasa) and Irebu. As a result, people upstream of the Bangala mistook Bangi for the language the Bangala and called it Lingala (language of the Bangala), and European missionaries followed suit.

(from wiki)

As you said, this is the alt-world, which gives me the freedom to play with historical timelines.

And, I suppose, the freedom to include footy. wink I just didn't think of it.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard