Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#92305 12/25/12 08:04 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Feliz Natal, Joyeux Noël, Buon Natale, Fröhliche Weihnachten! <<My apologies for language errors or if I have missed your language completely.>>

Was Herb right or wrong?

Either way, Clark believes him and won't consummate his relationship with Lois for the foreseeable future. What will the future hold for our romantic duo? Even more so, how will Clark survive the next 36 hours? Or, should I be asking, how will Lois? wink

Comments?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/16/14 12:54 PM. Reason: Added Link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
This is getting more and more complicated. Can they break the curse in this dimension? Or should he rescue the 'real' Clark? Couldn't you argue that Alt-Clark has already made an impact as Lois, just as the first version of her life without Superman? Wouldn't that make things even worse for Lois?

Joan

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
The door opened and Clark, casually dressed without jacket or tie, stepped out. He shut the door directly behind himself.
I was hoping both Lois and Clark would meet Herb, but no such luck.

“So, Herb, please give me good news,” he said, dispensing with his usual pleasantries.
He really needs it right now.

“Fine. Never better,” Clark said.
That is for sure.

“Good riddance,” Clark grumbled.
I have to agree 100% there.

“Or,” Herb suggested. “Tempus may have given you a chance at a better life?”
Rubbish. After Tempus Clark knew he wanted Lois and could not have her.

Clark’s eyes, on the other hand, seemed to brighten considerably. “Wait. Let me make sure I’ve got this clear. Because Tempus wiped himself out of existence we cannot travel into the past and save this dimension’s Kal-El, Lois’s true Clark?” He stared at Herb as if his very life depended on his answer.
This is the best news Clark has ever heard.

“So, I don’t have any competition for Lois’s heart? She’s mine, free and clear?”
Lois: I like it better when you use the Portuguese.

“That’s terrific news, Herb. Well, no, not terrific all around, but you have made me very happy.” He turned to re-enter his apartment. “I should tell Lois!” Then he stopped as if by some fleeting thought. “No, first I need to…”
Go and get protection.

“Neither you nor Miss Lane were affected by the pheromone based perfume sprayed around the newsroom today, then?” Herb inquired.

“What are you talking about?” Clark asked before Herb’s words apparently sunk in. “Perfume? Yes… Pheromone… A chemical substance secreted by animals which produces a specific response to other individuals of the same species, usually related to a warning, food, or sex.” His eyes widened as he glanced down at his brown paper sack. His shoulders dropped. “No… No! It isn’t true!” He shook his head. “She forgave me. She loves me,” he said adamantly, pointing at Herb, before his voice dropped to almost a whisper. “Doesn’t she?” He raised his gaze to Herb’s beseechingly. “Doesn’t she?”
Technically Herb does not know, but that has not stopped him from saying before.

Herb shrugged. “Maybe she does. Maybe she doesn’t, Clark. I haven’t met her.”
At least he is being truthful.

“Tomorrow’s Daily Planet,” Herb said, holding up the paper he had picked up on his previous stop.

Clark took the newspaper out Herb’s hand and walked back to the café table. “Perry would never allow this,” he mumbled, his eyes closing. “I should have known; it was too good to be true. She loved me. She wanted me.” He pointed back at his apartment. “She begged me…” His hand dropped. “I’m such a fool.”
Well, it was actually generally within her expected behavior, except maybe not wanting to know at all.

Clark buried his face in hands. “She’s never going to forgive me now.”
I am really not sure of that.

“Haven’t yet what?” Clark asked, before thankfully catching on. “Oh! Oh! No. Herb, I… we… I was waiting to hear back from you. We kissed and…” His eyes widened before he swallowed. “Oh, God, no! Lois will never forgive me.”[Quote]

It is not like they have really done any more than in the past. Actually, he is going to have to work really had to avoid her anger for not making love to her. Hmm, he is in a tough situation.

[Quote]“Of course not, Herb! I would never do that to anyone in an intoxicated state, let alone Lois.
I have to agree with him here. I just have a fear it will drive her to Luthor and a wedge between them though.

“No, Clark. You cannot ever consummate your relationship with Miss Lane,” Herb said as plainly as he could.
Now I think Wells is just plain wrong. He has no proof the curse applies when it is a different Clark soul.

A guttural sound emerged from Clark’s throat as if he were repressing a roar. “And you didn’t think this curse was something I should have been apprised of earlier? Say, when we first started discussing the possibility of rescuing the Lois from my dimension? Or before you brought me here under the guise of falling in love with this dimension’s Lois?”
He has a very good point.

“And you know this for sure? Are you positive, despite the fact that Lois and I are from other dimensions and our souls don’t match up completely, that this curse would still affect us?” Clark asked.
Very good point.

“Couldn’t you just travel into the future and see if she…” His words dropped off as he picked up the copy of the next day’s Daily Planet from the table.
I guess that is a big risk. Hmm, there needs to be some better way to test for the curse applying.

“Thank you,” Clark whispered with a hitch in his voice. “Thank you from stopping me from killing her.” He dropped his head into his hands in defeat.
But she was not dead in two weeks. Wells is being duplicitous and dishonest by not telling Clark that he showed up two weeks later and Lois was alive and well. I like Wells less and less. He is constantly manipulating Clark and withholding vital information from him.

Herb hadn’t quite understood how Lois and this dimension’s version of himself hadn’t disappeared with Tempus. It had been as if they were echoes of a past life left to repair the damage done by now non-existent Tempus. How had they remained in a past without a Clark in the future to draw them there? Was it a strange kind of time aftershock of a dimension in flux, a dimension without a past of its own? It had been one of those time anomalies, which was sure to keep him from sleep for many a night.
This is another thing he should really tell Clark. I am liking Wells less and less. His withholding of information is very disturbing.

Clark’s head slowly rose from his hands. “I am not going back to my dimension, Herb,” he said.
Wells just does not get it. Life with Lois is so much better than without. Anyway, in his home dimension Clark is Superman to everyone and has no private life. I do not blame him for not going back.

Herb nodded. He had forced Clark into this mess, by bringing him to this damaged universe, the least he could do would be to extricate him from it as smoothly and painlessly as possible. “Do you mean to take her to your universe, if we cannot fix the curse here?” he asked.

“I’d rather not. I prefer my life here to the one back home. The same problems that stopped me from bringing the Lois from my dimension into the future still exist. Additionally, I’ve discovered that there is a lot more paperwork one must do when switching dimensions. I, as Superman, would hate to have to forge a fake existence for Lois as I’ve had to for myself in this one,” he said.
He should not have even told Wells this much. Realistically he needs to make any such plans with Lois.

Clark shook his head. “No, that would require her to bear an even more difficult burden, impersonating someone she’s not for the rest of her life. I would rather not have to do that to her.” He sighed. “But I’ll keep the idea of bringing her home with me open as an option of last resort.” He raised a brow. “If you are fairly certain that my dimension’s timeline isn’t damaged in a similar manner.”
I think he should be more open to giving her that option. It would work mostly, and if that is the easiest way for them to marry, why not? Clark needs to start making joint decisions with Lois.

Herb knew from his research on this universe that it was eerily similar to that of his own universe, almost as if this alternate universe had been formed by Tempus’s attempt on baby Kal-El’s life. If that were true, in May 1994, a mere three months in the future, this Lois Lane could be engaged to marry Lex Luthor. The Superman from his universe had ended up caught in a Kryptonite cage during the wedding in early June. Herb decided he should save Clark from having to deal with a similar fate, if such circumstances also were to happen here. “I’ll check back with you in three months to see how you’re faring, and give you an update on my research.”
This is where I really start to dislike Wells. I am sick and tired of his plotting to seperate Lois and Clark.

Clark raised his hand to stop this topic. “By bringing me here, you’ve already saved me from that fate, Herb, for which I’m eternally grateful. I’ve said from the beginning, I’d rather be in a dimension where Lois and I are just friends, than in one without her at all. Goodbye, Herb. I hope to hear from you soon.”
I doubt things would ever get so bad Clark would leave. On the other hand, I have my fears.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Clark steeled his nerves as he stood before his front door. He had no idea what he would be walking in on, but he knew one thing, for certain: his desire would kill Lois.
He is too trusting of Wells. The evidence to me suggests the opposite.

He turned back to ask Herb how long the effect of the perfume lasted, but the man had already disappeared.
Now that was just plain rude to leave so quickly.

Clark hoped that Herb would return soon, but he wasn’t holding his breath.
Knowing Wells, he will go straight to when he thinks the encaging will be, and use his selective revealings of information to try to manipulate Clark into abandoning Lois.

It was just like Herb to touch on Clark’s old fears, inadvertently as it might have been, fears Clark had put to rest more than a decade before.
I think Wells is more evil and manipulative than Clark thinks he is.

He took another deep breath, reminding himself of two things: one, Lois was drunk on love and not herself,
I guess it is probably best he resists her advances. She would probably be mad at some point about it. Still, I think Wells was dishonest and manipulative. He should at least have mentioned that they were both still alive when he showed up initially two weeks later.

Actually, there was a third thing. He couldn’t let Lois out of his sight. He didn’t know if the drug would cause her to be interested in anyone else. With him, at least, she’d be safe. He scoffed. Now.
My guess is that this is not a big issue. However, I guess as usually Wells told him absolutely nothing that was at all helpful.

Clark opened the door and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. So far, so good. “Lois?” he called out.

“In here, Chuck,” her voice sang from his bedroom.
smile1 she is in his bedroom.

He cheated. He tilted down his glasses and took a glimpse into his bedroom before even taking one step further inside his apartment. Lois was still clothed; in fact, she had buttoned up her shirt. Had the perfume already started to wear off?
I doubt it.

Lois skipped out. She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a kiss.
Well, if it did wear off, it was with no ill effects.

No such luck.
At least he is not overly optimistic.

“Hi!” she said in breathless manner, which reminded him of Marilyn Monroe’s.
More signs she has not recovered.

Now that Clark knew she was drugged, the differences in her behavior seemed to hit him over the head. Her lack of curiosity or concern of where he had been and what he had been doing, had been the main distinction.
Lois: party Clark is back.

“Hi. Whatcha been doing?” he asked with some trepidation.

She grinned. “Come and see!”
Yep, he won't like it.

“I’ve made room for me in your dresser,” she announced with glee.
This seems exactly what she would do.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Virginia,

And you complain about me torturing poor Alt Clark

You've set up an impossible conundrum.

She's doomed if they do and he's doomed if they don't. Herb sees no way to correct the timeline short of saving Tempus and that appears to be impossible.

You've hinted that she's going to give in to Luthor and that's not good.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
She had done something that mere hours before would have caused him cascades of joy; now, it seemed to cause his blood to freeze, especially knowing that she had to be drugged to find this a good idea.
Well I guess knowing that Lois is drugged does put a damper on things. Still, I think Wells is just plain wrong.

“Remember how back when I stayed the night during the whole Barbara Trevino scare,” she said. “You suggested that I should start moving in.”
smile1 I love how Lois is reinterpreting the past in a postivie light.

That wasn’t exactly what he had said. Actually, he had thought she hadn’t heard him recommend that should she keep a change of clothes at his apartment, just in case. Clearly, a part of her had heard him.
Lois: I listen to you more than you give me credit for, Chuck.

“I mean, I love my apartment, but I’ve always felt it’s been missing something,” Lois said.

“Oh, and what’s that?” he asked as she leaned against his arm.

“You, my darling,” Lois laughed as if it had been obvious.
clap

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
“Why don’t you put these items into a bag to take to my place?” Lois suggested with a flip of her hand to the clothes on the bed. “In case you ever need to spend the night again, and I’ll pick up some of my clothes and bring them here.”
Clark: I need to stall. Lois will go balistic on me if I in any way start to move in while she is under the influence of the pheremone spray.

Clark pushed down the emotional reaction this suggestion brought to the surface. “That’s a terrific idea, Lois,” he replied, despite his tone not matching the enthusiasm of his words.
Clark is really in a tough situation. Of course, how much is Lois really sufering from the Pheremone spray?

He knew that Lois was apt to burn his clothes in a bonfire as soon as she recovered.
Not if he shows proper restraint.

He kissed her cheek.
smile1 they are touching.

“Or,” Lois said, turning her whole body against him. “Should we make love first? Then take your stuff to my place and make love again over there. In the morning, we could bring my things here.”
dance she has lots of fun nicknames for him.

Lois finished, punctuating her words with a poke to his chest with her finger.
dance they are still touching.

“That may be true,” he admitted. “But if we all followed our hedonistic desires, minha, no work would be accomplished, the Daily Planet would fold, and we would be destitute.”

“That would be sad. I hate feeling sad,” she said.
party he is getting through to her.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
“But helping people makes you happy,” Clark reminded her.
I love how he is figuring out how to focus her emotions and desires at this point.

She smiled. “That’s true, but so does kissing you,” she said, demonstrating.
clap I love this description.

He only hoped that he could distract her long enough with the story.
On the other hand, if he had a clue how long this would last, he might just give up.

He wasn't optimistic though, as her hand curved around his bottom and she made a sound usually reserved for chocolate desserts she craved but didn’t allow herself to eat due to calories.
Lois: Clark is so much better than chocolate.

“Lois!” he admonished. He would be flattered, later, should he get a moment alone. “Do you know how distracting that is?”

She grinned and bounced her eyebrows at him. Apparently, she did.
clap I just love this part.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
“Okay, Lois. We need to search inside you for my partner,” he said, moving into his dining room and sitting down at the table.
And now he confronts her with the truth.

She sat down in his lap and encircled him with her arms.
clap I just love this dialogue.

He pointed to the chair. “Sit!”

She sat.
shock she is way off. She is actually obeying his commands, Lois never does that.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Instead, Lois clapped her hands together with delight. “How wonderful!” she gushed, scooting her chair closer to his to give him a kiss. “Everyone should fall in love. It’s such a wonderful feeling. I’ve never been happier.”
party she is really in love. This will be an uphill battle.

“Lois, what about those people who might be attracted to the wrong people? What if a person was married, and she found herself attracted to someone who wasn’t her spouse?
He has a good point.

Someone might react in a manner that they normally wouldn’t. What if he was attracted to someone who wasn’t attracted to him? We need to help our colleagues. Someone could get hurt,” he said. “Like Ralph this morning.”
Now Clark is starting to get what was going on.

Her eyes widened in shock. “You don’t think I should have defended myself against that… that… monster?”
Clark needs to tread very carefully.

“Monster?” Clark repeated skeptically. It seemed like a strong term for the worm named Ralph. “Granted, Ralph treats women like scum, Lois, but I’m not sure if…”
Clark, you need to realize the reality of Lois' feelings.

“I had a nightmare about him where he… he…” Her voice rose higher in pitch until her head collapsed on his shoulder in tears. “Please, Clark, it was horrible.”

“You had a nightmare about Ralph?” he said, wrapping his arm around her, unable to stop himself from comforting her when she cried.[Quote]

party he is conforting her.

[Quote]“Uh-huh,” she sniffled into his neck. “He broke into my apartment and pushed me down…”
Clark: Remember, only nightmare. Must not go and punish Ralph, even if he deserves it.

“There. There. Lois, it was only a dream,” he reminded her.

“I tried calling to you… no, not you… Superman, but he didn’t come. You both had left Metropolis. Ralph knocked me to the floor and tore open my shirt…” Her tears poured out in earnest now.
Tell her now Clark. OK, I guess I have given up hope of Lois ever learning CK=SM in this story, at least most hope.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Clark had the strange feeling he had made things worse and started missing infatuated Lois.
But he has made it easier to avoid a situation where Lois will put him in a no-win bind.

“You dreamed about this?” he asked. That meant the dream had happened prior to her being exposed to the drug, because she hadn’t slept since the exposure. It was real. Not that the event itself was real, but the memory of the nightmare certainly was.
If he only knew that it was of a real event.

“Jimbo?” Clark repeated. Clearly, this had been only a dream.
Oh, he has no idea.

“Yes, but he was acting weird, like he was in love with me or something. He kept calling me sweetie or dear and telling me how I was precious,” Lois rambled.
I finally understand why that happened there, but Jimmy does not try to hone in on Lois here. It is a different Jimmy. I just figured that out.

Clark knew the feeling. Suddenly, a thought came to him. Was this one of those psychic memories that Herb told him that Lois might have? Had her true Clark abandoned Lois during the heat wave, never to return?
Now, he is being needlessly harsh on true Clark.

Canon Clark: I came back long before Miranda attacked.

She had seemed so upset the night that Clark went to meet Herb, back in November; she had been so afraid that he would never return. Was this due to a memory?
On this part he is totally right.

It would explain why Lois had hated Ralph since the first instant Perry had introduced him at work.
Lois: Ralph is just distrubing. Does there need to be any other explanation?

“I wasn’t attracted to any of them as I am with you.”
Of corse that is because she was not spayed.

If it was a memory, and Ralph had evidently set his sights on Lois… “I want you to sleep here tonight,” Clark suggested. He would sleep at Lois’s apartment.
That is not going to go over very well when the time comes.

Lois threw her arms around his neck and pressed a kiss to his lips. “I was beginning to think that you didn’t care for me, Chuck.”
This will make it really hard to explain his real plan.

“Of course, I care for you, Lois. I’ll always care for you,” he said, wishing he could do more.
Lois: Right now, what you are doing is enough.

“Oh, my gosh!” she gasped in horrified excitement. “You don’t think this might be one of my psychic visions, do you?”
Yes he does.

“I hope not.”
Again he speaks the truth.

“Let me see,” she murmured, placing her hands to her head. “Oh! I can’t think. All I want to do is kiss you.” So, she did.
smile1 hyper hyper

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
She contemplated him for a moment, which stretched into two. He wondered what was going on in that crazy, besotted brain of hers.
Lois: I am basking in the wonder of him touching me.

“Huh,” she finally said. “When you touch me like that, you remind me of Superman.”
party she is figuring it out.

“I do?” Clark said with a gulp.
That is what you were going to tell her before Wells knocked.

“It’s remarkable. I never noticed it before,” Lois murmured, still staring.
I just hope she remembers.

“What?” he repeated, getting nervous.
Come on Clark, she deserves to know.

“You look a lot like Superman, too,” she said in a breathless tone.
party she is halfway there.

Clark didn’t need Miss Loose-Lips Lois, which this pheromone induced version seemed to be, to tell everyone about his secret identity. She had been more than happy to tell him all her secrets, anything he asked actually. He was doubly glad that Herb had interrupted his confession on the couch.
I think he should trust Lois more though. I guess he might have a point. Still, I think she could handle knowing about it.

“You’re much sexier than Superman,” Lois whispered, blowing into his ear and torturing him on many levels.
I think she really does beleive this.

He was sorely tempted to test that theory. What would drugged Lois think if Superman appeared on his patio at this moment? He bet she wouldn’t remember Clark’s name.
I doubt that would happen. She might relize the truth, but I don't think she would forget Clark. Lois is not that fickle.

He tried to take solace in the fact that he was both men, but it didn’t work.
Clark, stop assuming Lois does not really love you.

“Better watch out, Lois, he’s got those Super ears of his,” he teased with a wink.
Not that he needs such at this point.

She shrugged and then leaned her head against his shoulder with a sigh. “So what. Superman already knows I’m in love with you. I told him so,” she said smugly.

Since when? He scoffed.
Right now of course. Hmm, on the other hand, maybe that is how she actually remembers some conversations.

Only Lois would be able to find a way to lie in this condition.
I don't think she is lieing. She is just assuming Superman understood her statements the way she now means to have them understood.

He gently nudged her back into the chair. If he was standing behind her, rubbing her shoulders, it would be more difficult for her to kiss him.
Lois: I can still figure out a way.

“Oh. Oh!” she gasped suddenly, sitting upright. “I remember! Jimbo and I got married in the nightmare.” She shivered in disgust. “Ugh!”

He smiled. “Well, we can at least be rest assured that it wasn’t more than a dream then, Lois.” He doubted even a besotted Lois would fall for Jimmy’s cousin.
Of course he is assuming that things in the dream are what they appeared to be.

“Thank heavens!” She turned and faced Clark with a grin. “Anyway, I would much rather marry you.”
Clark: I wish Lois was really saying this, and not just under the pheremone.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Joan: Thanks for sticking with me, despite the [Linked Image]

This is getting more and more complicated.
I don't do easy well. laugh <<explains why my stories go on, and on, and on, and on, and on... because I've got to write myself out of plot holes I've developed.>>

Can they break the curse in this dimension? Or should he rescue the 'real' Clark?
Yes. Possibly. Maybe. No. One of those or all of them. [Linked Image]

Couldn't you argue that Alt-Clark has already made an impact on this Lois, just as the first version of her life without Superman? Wouldn't that make things even worse for Lois?
Hmmmmm. Interesting way of looking at it. Probably. According to Herb, reverting back to her true timeline would erase the other possible futures from her mind, but as we've seen that doesn't always work.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ken: I'm in shock. jawdrop Total and utter shock. Did you actually use the "I" word? wink

And you complain about me torturing poor Alt Clark
Complain? Oh, it wasn't complaining, it was more teasing. laugh If Clark has life too easy, it wouldn't be much fun to read.

You've set up an impossible conundrum.
Oh, my gosh! You DID use the "I" word! You! The Great KEN, lover of all things Herb Wellian! thud

She's doomed if they do and he's doomed if they don't. Herb sees no way to correct the timeline short of saving Tempus and that appears to be impossible.
Ah, but you and I know, that "nothing is impossible". wink Perhaps there's another answer that doesn't require Herb's assistance.

You've hinted that she's going to give in to Luthor and that's not good.
Let's just say that things aren't always as what they appear to Herb (on that front and others). Thanks for reading.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
John: smile1 You spoil me. Thanks for the long FDK. I'm glad you're still enjoying my story, despite wanting to bash in Clark's head at times, regarding his wishy-washyness on revealing his most secret and private and earth-shattering of news.

Why would he bring Lois? If he hasn't had time to explain what's going on, who Herb is, it wouldn't make sense to try to bring her into his conversation without having all the facts.

I have to agree 100% there.
I love Tempus as a character, but like Clark, I wouldn't want him interferring with my life.

Rubbish. After Tempus Clark knew he wanted Lois and could not have her.
HERB: What I meant was, that because without Tempus, Clark would now be married to Lana (and hiding his true self).

Go and get protection.
Possibly. [Linked Image]

At least he is being truthful.
Like Clark, Herb is mostly truthful. The only time he's really lied to Clark (not including omissions) was about alt-Lois. Actually, that was omissions and half-truths.

Clark buried his face in hands. “She’s never going to forgive me now.”
I am really not sure of that.

It is not like they have really done any more than in the past. Actually, he is going to have to work really had to avoid her anger for not making love to her. Hmm, he is in a tough situation.
Clark's referring to opening Lois's shirt and kissing down her chest.

I have to agree with him here. I just have a fear it will drive her to Luthor and a wedge between them though.
cool

Now I think Wells is just plain wrong. He has no proof the curse applies when it is a different Clark soul.
Herb doesn't want to take that chance with Lois's life. He's working within known parameters of Lois and Clark's relationship.

“Couldn’t you just travel into the future and see if she…” His words dropped off as he picked up the copy of the next day’s Daily Planet from the table.
I guess that is a big risk. Hmm, there needs to be some better way to test for the curse applying.
Herb is basing his hunch <<assumption>> on history (his dimension's Lois and Clark where Lois died of an unknown illness the next day). He's trying to pre-emptively save Lois's life. True, his assumption may have been wrong, but his heart was in the right place.

Clark is basing his conclusions on the belief that Herb wouldn't have come to him, having visited the future, without concrete proof that Lois died as a direct result of their coupling.

But she was not dead in two weeks. Wells is being duplicitous and dishonest by not telling Clark that he showed up two weeks later and Lois was alive and well. I like Wells less and less. He is constantly manipulating Clark and withholding vital information from him.
Herb's not trying to manipulate him. Clark HASN'T made love to Lois. It's always possible that by telling her that he's Superman, that they wouldn't have made love, until their possible wedding day two weeks later. It's always possible that her reaction to him telling her that he's Superman made Clark realize that she wasn't acting like herself enough that he checks out what she could have been exposed to to make her act like that. There is no proof that they would have made love. evil

True, Clark's no in full possession of the facts, but Herb isn't one reveal too much of one's future, now is he?

This is another thing he should really tell Clark. I am liking Wells less and less. His withholding of information is very disturbing.
Herb doesn't feel like it's fair to this Lois. If Clark were to know that this Lois could be an alt-version of canon Lois (which she is) would that have an impact on how Clark treats her? Would that have an impact on Clark's decision to save (or not save) Lois's True Clark being that he's met THAT Clark (or a version of him) before? Herb doesn't want to bias Clark's decisions in that regard. <<PSsst. You don't have to like Herb, just explaining his motivations better>>

Wells just does not get it. Life with Lois is so much better than without. Anyway, in his home dimension Clark is Superman to everyone and has no private life. I do not blame him for not going back.
Herb thought that Clark had already made the decision to leave this dimension, and only decided to stay when he discovered that they couldn't save Baby Kal-El. He figures now that Clark knows that they cannot consummate a marriage (should they reach that point), Clark wouldn't want to torture himself by staying in this dimension and would want to return to his dimension. It's a wrong assumption, but a fair one.

He should not have even told Wells this much. Realistically he needs to make any such plans with Lois.
He hasn't made any plans yet, nor would he bring Lois to alt-dimension without telling her so in advance. He's NOT that much a lunkhead. wink

I think he should be more open to giving her that option. It would work mostly, and if that is the easiest way for them to marry, why not? Clark needs to start making joint decisions with Lois.
If Herb is correct about the curse still affecting them, wouldn't that also be true in alt-dimension?

This is where I really start to dislike Wells. I am sick and tired of his plotting to seperate Lois and Clark.
Herb's not plotting against Lois and Clark. He's going to check back in case Clark has changed his mind. Maybe he will, knowing that he and Lois cannot have a fully initmate relationship. [Linked Image]

I doubt things would ever get so bad Clark would leave. On the other hand, I have my fears.
It's always darkest before dawn. Clark still has some lessons to learn. And Lois has some facts to learn.

He is too trusting of Wells. The evidence to me suggests the opposite.
I always thought that was a flaw in his relationship with most people, especially this time traveler.

Now that was just plain rude to leave so quickly.
Why? Clark said 'bye' and turned to return to his aparment.

Knowing Wells, he will go straight to when he thinks the encaging will be, and use his selective revealings of information to try to manipulate Clark into abandoning Lois.
I guess you'll have to wait and see what happens. laugh

I think Wells is more evil and manipulative than Clark thinks he is.
I'm thinking that John didn't realize that this evil writer would pull the rug out from under his nice and party-filled PML episode.

I guess it is probably best he resists her advances. She would probably be mad at some point about it. Still, I think Wells was dishonest and manipulative. He should at least have mentioned that they were both still alive when he showed up initially two weeks later.
Why tell Clark that he and Lois were to be married? Wouldn't have that been extra cruel, having just told him that they couldn't consummate said marriage? (or that Clark would have killed her on their wedding day?) Don't forget that Herb comes from another time, when it was the accepted norm not to consummate until after one was married.

My guess is that this is not a big issue. However, I guess as usually Wells told him absolutely nothing that was at all helpful.
Herb told Clark more than canon Clark knew. Canon Clark had to figure it out for himself.

At least he is not overly optimistic.
He's just had his hopes and dreams bashed against the rocks. Not much optimism left.

Yep, he won't like it.
You don't know that.

This seems exactly what she would do.
Glad to hear that she's not that much out of character. laugh

Well I guess knowing that Lois is drugged does put a damper on things. Still, I think Wells is just plain wrong.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. evil

I love how Lois is reinterpreting the past in a postivie light.
So does Clark, in a way.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
-- Response to John's FDK - Cont.

Clark: I need to stall. Lois will go balistic on me if I in any way start to move in while she is under the influence of the pheremone spray.
This is a true assumption. Now that he knows, he needs to act accordingly <<curse or no>>.

Clark is really in a tough situation. Of course, how much is Lois really sufering from the Pheremone spray?
smile1

I hate Wells.
Oh, dear.

she has lots of fun nicknames for him.
LOIS: He's so easy to nickname.

they are still touching.
He's trying to still act loving so not to incur "drunk Lois's" ire. He doesn't want to suddenly act differently than he was before his meeting with Herb. He doesn't want her to wonder why he's changed his tune and doubt his true affection for her, when she thinks back upon this episode.

he is getting through to her.
That's debatable.
I love how he is figuring out how to focus her emotions and desires at this point.
TRYING to.

they are kissing.
CLARK: Um... erm... technically, she kissed me.

he has figured a way to make her happy without direct contact.
But is it sustainable?

I love this description.
Thank you. smile1

On the other hand, if he had a clue how long this would last, he might just give up.
Is that in his vocabulary?

I just love this part.
Hmmmmm. John likes flirtatious Lois.

And now he confronts her with the truth.
He's working his way there.

Clark: Only in body.

Lois: Well, you like my body.

Clark: Your mind too, and your mind is off.
LOIS: What do you mean, 'my mind is off'? It's still here. It just is thinking about what I'm going to do with you once I get you into bed.

I just love this dialogue.
Thanks. smile1

she is way off. She is actually obeying his commands, Lois never does that.
I thought that happened in canon. Just another reason for her to be humiliated when the perfume wears off. clap True, but that's not what she meant.

Hmm, on the other hand, maybe that is how she actually remembers some conversations.
[Linked Image]

I don't think she is lieing. She is just assuming Superman understood her statements the way she now means to have them understood.
I'm sorry, did you think Lois was the only blind one in this relationship?

Clark: I wish Lois was really saying this, and not just under the pheremone.
evil

CLARK: <<sarcastically to EW>> Thanks. Thanks a lot.

VirginiaR.
---
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[QB] John: smile1 You spoil me. Thanks for the long FDK. I'm glad you're still enjoying my story, despite wanting to bash in Clark's head at times, regarding his wishy-washyness on revealing his most secret and private and earth-shattering of news.
Actually right now it is more Wells I want to bash.

Why would he bring Lois? If he hasn't had time to explain what's going on, who Herb is, it wouldn't make sense to try to bring her into his conversation without having all the facts.
OK, I was mainly hoping that he would open the door and let Wells in. OK< that would have required waiting for Lois to get a bit more presentable, but I was still hoping it would happen. I guess I have to admit that what Clark did makes more sense, but still.

Clark's referring to opening Lois's shirt and kissing down her chest.
Hmm, well, she might be mad. Still, he does have the excuse that she was flirting with him that morning, and he was not there when Lois got sprayed with the Pheremone. I think if he keeps things under control for the next 36 hours, Lois will mainly forgive him. Of course maybe I am being overly optimitic about how honest Lois will be with herself about the whole thing.

Herb doesn't want to take that chance with Lois's life. He's working within known parameters of Lois and Clark's relationship.
Except he is assuming that they did not consumate their relationship based on no death. Now I am thinking he should have gone and tried to talk to them at the Lexor. I mean what if he shows up tells Clark "you can not have sex with Lois or she will die" and he says "we already did that two weeks ago, I wish I could undo it, because she is still mad at me since she was under a drug, but it does not look like she is about to die." I still think Wells should at least tell Clark what he knows. Although since Wells may be wrong on what he thinks he knows it might mess with Clark's mind by giving him too much hope.

Herb is basing his hunch <<assumption>> on history (his dimension's Lois and Clark where Lois died of an unknown illness the next day). He's trying to pre-emptively save Lois's life. True, his assumption may have been wrong, but his heart was in the right place.
Hmm, so in canon Wells actually at some level allowed them to consumate and create the proof of its negative impact while here he wants Clark to go on not really explained or proven examples. I guess the easiest way to explain this is it is what the story needs, but I still think alt-Clark should demand proof. He is far too trusting of the reality of curses.

Clark is basing his conclusions on the belief that Herb wouldn't have come to him, having visited the future, without concrete proof that Lois died as a direct result of their coupling.
Thus, Clark is trusting Wells to have more information than he really does. It is about time he stopped believing that Wells really knows anything.

Herb's not trying to manipulate him. Clark HASN'T made love to Lois. It's always possible that by telling her that he's Superman, that they wouldn't have made love, until their possible wedding day two weeks later. It's always possible that her reaction to him telling her that he's Superman made Clark realize that she wasn't acting like herself enough that he checks out what she could have been exposed to to make her act like that. There is no proof that they would have made love. evil
True, I still think that Wells should provide Clark with the knowledge of what he really does know.

True, Clark's no in full possession of the facts, but Herb isn't one reveal too much of one's future, now is he?
Maybe that makes sense in some cases, but I think here he is just coming across as manipulative. Although I think Clark is in some ways better off not being told that he and Lois married on Valentine's Day, since I do think that that is false information.

Herb thought that Clark had already made the decision to leave this dimension, and only decided to stay when he discovered that they couldn't save Baby Kal-El. He figures now that Clark knows that they cannot consummate a marriage (should they reach that point), Clark wouldn't want to torture himself by staying in this dimension and would want to return to his dimension. It's a wrong assumption, but a fair one.
It of course ignores many things. Such as they could consumate the marriage if they jointly returned to his dimension. Hmm, that gives me an idea. They could live in this dimension but only have relations in alt-Clark's home dimension after they broke the curse there. OK, maybe that would be hard, but I am trying to think of possible solutions.

If Herb is correct about the curse still affecting them, wouldn't that also be true in alt-dimension?
Yes, but in alt-dimension they can go back in time and remove the curse. Alt-dimension does not have a broken time, so they can go back in time.

Why tell Clark that he and Lois were to be married? Wouldn't have that been extra cruel, having just told him that they couldn't consummate said marriage? (or that Clark would have killed her on their wedding day?) Don't forget that Herb comes from another time, when it was the accepted norm not to consummate until after one was married.
I guess you do have a point. I still feel that Wells is being manipulative, and will stand by that view.

Herb told Clark more than canon Clark knew. Canon Clark had to figure it out for himself.
I guess that is true. OK, maybe I am being needlessly harsh against Wells. I guess the pheremone does help. Still, he realizes that his theories about what will happen if the universe resets do not agree with what he knows actually happened. He should at least have told Clark that Lois' memories of the past might be even more complexed than he pewviously thought.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Not if he shows proper restraint.
Again, he's referring to kissing down her chest earlier.
Still, I think if he does not repeat that. Also, he can argue that he did not know until warned by his informant. OK, she probably will still be mad, but at least she will not be mad at her for not being attracted to her, well hopefully.

He's trying to still act loving so not to incur "drunk Lois's" ire. He doesn't want to suddenly act differently than he was before his meeting with Herb. He doesn't want her to wonder why he's changed his tune and doubt his true affection for her, when she thinks back upon this episode.
It makes sense. Of course, it is going to be a very tough balance indeed. I am not sure there is any win situation, since at some level she will just be mad that she was drugged and acted this way.

On the other hand, I think it will really, really help that he was not sprayed. At least then he does not have to explain not reacting and have the added burden of Lois being mad that somehow he restrained himself when she did not. I at least hope that that will lessen her ire.

I am also hoping the fact he offered to tell her the truth will be counted as a plus on his side.

he has figured a way to make her happy without direct contact.
But is it sustainable?
Clark: That is why I am not sure I am even thinking in hour blocks of getting through this anymore. This is really, really, really tough, so I have no easy solutions. One moment at a time.

LOIS: What do you mean, 'my mind is off'? It's still here. It just is thinking about what I'm going to do with you once I get you into bed.
Clark: Exactly Lois. Normally you don't think about that.

Lois: No Chuck, that is where you are wrong. I have thought about that a lot at least since you first told someone I was your wife.

Clark:What, you knew it was just a cover.

Lois: OK, maybe I first thought about it before then. The thing is I try to hide the thoughts from myself, and definately from you. It is not that my thoughts have changed, but that I have finally decided to open up and tell you about them.

I thought that happened in canon. Just another reason for her to be humiliated when the perfume wears off. clap True, but that's not what she meant.
Lois: Two can play at the selective truth game.

Clark: But Lois, you don't know it is true.

Lois: You play selective truth your way, I play it my way. You tell truths in tones where I won't believe them, I tell truths I don't actually know are true. We both speak the actual literal truth though.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I'm sorry, did you think Lois was the only blind one in this relationship?
Lois: I am sure that Superman should have understood from our conversation on the flight back from looking at his spaceship that I was more attracted to Clark than to him. I mean I mentioned sneaking a peak at Clark's body and learning he had been shot. Of course that shows I care about Clark more than Superman, right?

John Pack Lambert
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Herb waited patiently outside Clark’s apartment. He could hear someone moving around inside and he hoped he hadn’t arrived too late. He glanced down at the copy of the Daily Planet he had picked up from the future.
Herb, if you had only known what had nearly gone on in Canon Clark's apartment would you be nearly as adamant about jumping on Alt-Clark for just about the same thing?

“So, Herb, please give me good news,” he said, dispensing with his usual pleasantries.

Herb got an uneasy feeling.
Yeahh... an unhappy Clark is probably not that conducive to the future of Utopia.

“So, I don’t have any competition for Lois’s heart? She’s mine, free and clear?” Without waiting for a response from Herb, Clark grabbed his hand and shook it with glee. “That’s terrific news, Herb. Well, no, not terrific all around, but you have made me very happy.”
Clark: party
Wells: Now just hollld your horses mister.

“No… No! It isn’t true!” He shook his head. “She forgave me. She loves me,” he said adamantly, pointing at Herb, before his voice dropped to almost a whisper. “Doesn’t she?” He raised his gaze to Herb’s beseechingly. “Doesn’t she?”

Herb shrugged. “Maybe she does. Maybe she doesn’t, Clark. I haven’t met her.”
Maybe you should Wells. You rarely interacted with her in a non-dangerous situation. Maybe you might find her a little bit not what you were thinking she was.

“No, Clark. You cannot ever consummate your relationship with Miss Lane,” Herb said as plainly as he could.

“Excuse me?” Clark said, rising to his feet as his fists remained on the table. His voice sounded ominous. “What did you just say to me?”
Telling a superpowered being that he is not allowed to have intimate relations with someone could well be bad for your health.

“Yes. Yes, I can, Herb, and, frankly, whether or not I do is none of your business,” Clark said with the intensity of Superman. “That’s between me and Lois.”
I could see how this Clark might be offended by the insinuation that he wouldn't (or couldn't) do it with Lois.

Clark looked aghast. “No she won’t. That’s an old wives’ tale.”
When I first read that I couldn't understand what old wives' tale you were talking about. It took me a bunch of reads to realize you were talking about the "Man of Steel: Woman of Kleenex" myth. I can't imagine how he knew of that one.

Alt-Clark: It was a running theme in my world. Apparently I was deemed a "sex-threat" and someone decided to spread the rumor that I had to be celibate so that no one could be hurt.

Me: Ouch. (Ok, that above is just my postulation of why it would be an old wives' take in his world... unless there's a Superman variant comic that received the same treatment by a sci-fi writer.)

Herb leaned back in his chair, lacing his fingers together. “And how exactly do you know that she won’t, Clark?”
Herb, are you trying to be Mr. Know-It-All?

“It’s not like she would be my first,” Clark said with a pointed look.

“She wouldn’t?” Herb said with some surprise. “I thought…”
Herb, your mouth is gaping a bit there. Close it or you'll catch some flies there. Don't forget, different and yet the similar universe. DIFFERENT and yet similar. NOT the same.

Clark shook his head. “Well, clearly the curse was lifted by the Lois and Clark from your dimension…”

“Regrettably, the curse was only lifted in my universe’s timeline, Clark. Each universe has its own timeline. What happens in one doesn’t necessarily reflect in another. What’s past is past, unless one has a time machine to go back and change it.”
This is an interesting point. Would Clark have to go back in time before he brought Lois over to his universe? (I know, I know, you address something else that makes this question moot.)

A guttural sound emerged from Clark’s throat as if he were repressing a roar. “And you didn’t think this curse was something I should have been apprised of earlier? Say, when we first started discussing the possibility of rescuing the Lois from my dimension? Or before you brought me here under the guise of falling in love with this dimension’s Lois?”
A pretty good point I would think. I would also think he should have done the same with Lois and Clark BEFORE they got married... unless by undoing the curse before they got married they would have found themself married even EARLIER (say, around the clone arc?)

Clark’s thunderous eyes flashed to his and the time traveler tugged on the collar of his shirt in discomfort, suddenly rather hot. Herb was never so glad to be addressing Clark Kent, who wore leaded glass spectacles, as opposed to Superman.
Yeah, an pretty angry Clark/Superman is not someone you want to deal with lightly.

“And you know this for sure? Are you positive, despite the fact that Lois and I are from other dimensions and our souls don’t match up completely, that this curse would still affect us?” Clark asked. “Couldn’t you just travel into the future and see if she…”
This one's the point I think Wells should have done. It's not like he hadn't done so before. I mean, he had to do it when Lois and Clark consummated the marriage in a different timeline (i.e. his own).

Herb hadn’t quite understood how Lois and this dimension’s version of himself hadn’t disappeared with Tempus.
*puts on my crazy hat* I think I have something of an idea for that. I think that when Tempus died, he blanked out the slate prior to that. That INCLUDES the curse. Of course since Wells can't go back further than when Tempus died there is no way to know that.

Herb had truly thought that if he exposed Clark to the Lois she had been, before a Clark’s love made her the kind, loving woman who had made this man Superman, it would have made Clark realize that not all Loises were the same.
I think he underestimated her attraction to Superman counteracting the (outwardly) negative attraction to Clark. It's that triangle effect of his soul that balances out those perceptions.

Clark’s head slowly rose from his hands. “I am not going back to my dimension, Herb,” he said.
And again, I can understand why.

[QUOTE] “But… but… ” Herb stammered, at a loss for this decision. “You cannot marry Miss Lane, Clark. It is…” His voice faded. He hated that word but, in this instance, it seemed the best choice.
Wells! I can't believe that you believe this to be true. You yourself TOLD him that nothing is impossible!

“Impossible?” Clark retorted angrily. “Perhaps it is, for now. Instead, you must return to your dimension’s future and find out everything you can about Tempus’s history, his genealogy, and any stories from his family tree that intersect with mine… er… the Clark or Superman from your dimension.
You know, I was thinking on this. If I remember correctly, isn't his world different from the Canon/this one's world due to a robbery? If it's the one that happened in Smallville then maybe there's some hints in his own as well.

If you cannot discover the answer, you will head into the past to the time of this Baron Tempos, use my dimension and solve the problem of that curse if you must, but find the antidote for the curse. Lois Lane and I will marry someday.” He paused and exhaled. “If she’ll still have me.”
Clark: Gotta have as much of a fall-back plan as possible. I want to make sure everything is in place to bring her to my world if there's even a CHANCE we can be together.... And she'll have me.

“But I’ll keep the idea of bringing her home with me open as an option of last resort.” He raised a brow. “If you are fairly certain that my dimension’s timeline isn’t damaged in a similar manner.”
Could Lois still be a reporter? With Clark without a secret identity in that universe, that'd be extremely problematic. She could be his PR person but she would absolutely HATE that.

Herb realized that he had his work cut out for him. Determining a way to save Tempus’s existence to undo the horrible wrong that the man had done to this universe when he killed baby Kal-El... “Clark,” Herb started hesitantly. “You do realize, don’t you, that if we do find a way to fix this universe’s broken timeline, it will also be possible to rescue the baby Kal-El, the true Clark of this universe.”
I'm sure he knows.

Clark started in on a most unexpected tale of discovering the reincarnated Clark in the Brazilian rainforest, where he was not only a masked hero by the name of the Jaguar, but also a…

“A priest?” Herb said in total bafflement. “A Roman Catholic priest?”
You know, I had a second thought on this one. Maybe he mistook his soulmate as Mary (of Nazareth) in death and thus translated it to a religious/agape love. (and I think I've just gotten myself twisted in knots.)

“Extraordinary.” It was the first occurrence that Herb of ever heard of where Clark’s soul hadn’t sought out Lois’s in one of its incarnations.
He has no need to, quite honestly. He's content where he is and doesn't really need to go elsewhere.

Herb knew from his research on this universe that it was eerily similar to that of his own universe, almost as if this alternate universe had been formed by Tempus’s attempt on baby Kal-El’s life. If that were true, in May 1994, a mere three months in the future, this Lois Lane could be engaged to marry Lex Luthor. The Superman from his universe had ended up caught in a Kryptonite cage during the wedding in early June. Herb decided he should save Clark from having to deal with a similar fate, if such circumstances also were to happen here.
That'd be a pretty go time to make that sort of decision. If nothing else, you could be a clarion bell to Lois.

(if Clark's still in the cell)
Wells: *to Lois* My dear, Superman needs your help.

*cue VirginiaR Whistling*

I'll split this one into two. It looks like the break before Clark heads into the apartment's a good spot to cut out temporarily.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard