From part 2:

Lois remained on the bed for a little while. <Oh my god, what just happened here?> She looked at Clark. <He is so handsome and sweet. I can't stop thinking about him. What he did here just now...WOW. I've never felt as special as I felt while he was massaging my foot. Please, Lois, stop it now!> Lois was fighting an internal battle.

It was obvious that Lois and Clark were trying to forget what they both felt for each other and they both knew what had just happened.

Part 3:

While Lois and Clark were in the bedroom, Becky was looking at the trees. She was happy she would spend Christmas with Clark. She wished Martha and Jonathan could come back, but she knew they were helping her parents with the funeral. She would miss her uncle but she knew he had been sick and suffering...maybe he could rest in peace now. She knew Martha had encouraged her mother to let her spend Christmas with her cousin. Becky knew a funeral wasn't the best place for a child; she didn't want to go anyway. Thank God she could stay here.

Lois and Clark entered the room and Becky smiled. They were carrying a big box.

"Now we can decorate the trees," Lois said to Becky.

It was late when everything was ready. The little tree was as beautiful as the big one and Lois was very happy. Becky and Clark were smiling too.

"Well, I think I should go home now. It's late and we still have to work tomorrow, Clark."

"Really? Do you really have to go, Lois?" Becky asked her.

"Yes, Becky. I really have to go. It was nice to do all these things with you and Clark, but it's time to go." Lois was disappointed that the evening had come to an end. She had enjoyed the time she had spent helping Becky and Clark decorate the trees.

"Oh, I wish you could stay a little more, Lois," Clark said.

"Me too." Lois didn't want to go but she couldn't stay. She still had to work in the morning and buy something to wear on Christmas Eve.

"Bye, Lois," Becky said.

"Bye, Becky," Lois said back and kissed the little girl's cheek.

Clark walked Lois to the door. "I had a great time today, Lois."

"Me too. Thanks for everything. I don't know why you even bother to be nice to me after everything I said yesterday. I still feel bad about that. You're very sweet." She gave him a sad smile. She was still feeling badly about those horrible things she had said, especially after spending such a great day with him.

"Lois, you didn't do anything wrong. You don't need to feel badly about that. I understand you. Look, if I had unhappy Christmas memories I would probably think that way about this time of the year, too. It's not your fault. I'm sure you've changed your mind...or maybe you are starting to change your mind. I'll give you the Christmas you deserve to have. Now, you should smile because I don't like to see you sad, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks again, Clark." She gave him a happy smile now.

"You don't need to thank me. I'm the one who should be thanking you because of everything you did today and because you agreed to spend Christmas with me. I'm happy." Clark noticed that he had just said some pretty nice things to Lois. He didn't know if Lois would notice that he had really meant everything he'd said or if she would be able to read between the lines, but he decided that he wouldn't hide anything from her anymore.

"I'm very happy too." Lois looked into his eyes, his deep brown eyes. She felt they were leaning forward, toward each other. She didn't know if it was her imagination that Clark's eyes were so intense and she felt that she was being pulled towards them. They stared at each other for a long time. The electricity crackled in the air. They both had a light in their eyes. Lois was aware of the chemistry but she was afraid...very afraid. "Bye," she said in a hurry.

"Bye," Clark replied and watched her almost running away from him. He could feel she was afraid...afraid of something...afraid of the things they both were feeling. Maybe it was time to do something. It would be a long night and a long day tomorrow, but he had felt the electricity and he was pretty sure Lois had felt it too. This Christmas was going to be the day when their relationship was going to change forever.

Lois lay in bed, thinking about what had happened that day. Everything had been magic and sweet. Clark had the reason for that. After everything she had done and said about Christmas to him, he had remained at her side. He hadn't laughed when she'd told him about the little tree she'd bought when she was twelve. Actually, he'd encouraged her to pick not just the big tree that Becky wanted but the little one she'd been feeling sorry for. When she had fallen off the stool, he had been fast enough to pick her up in his arms and he had been concerned about her when she had said she had hit her foot when she fell. He had even massaged her foot. She had felt his strong but gentle hands on her foot. It was so amazing. She had seen him gaze at her legs. Lois had felt a little embarrassed but what she had felt for Clark was more than embarrassment. Clark's reaction to what he had been doing for her had been amazing, too. She could see he was blushing and nervous, but she hadn't wanted to make him stop. It had been very frustrating when he had stopped. She had known it was because of Becky. What would have happened if they had been alone? She knew...but she didn't want to think about it. It was way too scary.

Eventually Lois fell asleep.

Clark had gotten Becky settled and he was now lying on his couch. He was thinking about Lois. Every little detail about what had happened that day came back to his mind: the magic that had surrounded them when they were talking about Lois' little tree; her kiss on his cheek; the way they had felt while he was massaging her foot when she had fallen off the stool; Lois' disappointed look when he had stopped. He would give anything to just do it again and much, much more. If Becky hadn't been there, he could have continued and God knows what would have happened. Clark knew Lois very well and he knew she was enjoying everything he did. He had loved it when she had helped Becky to decorate the trees. Or, how about the way they had looked at each other when she had been leaving his apartment? Another great moment. He had almost kissed her, but she had run away before he could do it. Clark knew she was scared. Love was scary and friendship was easy, but he wanted much more than friendship for her; and he would move land and sea to make her see that they belonged together. She was just scared, but he knew that she felt something for him, something beyond friendship. He could read it in her eyes, and he had read that today.

Clark grinned and fell asleep.

Finally it was Christmas Eve. Clark was looking forward to tonight. Lois was coming at 8:00pm and she would help him with the supper. He had said she didn't need to help because he knew Lois wasn't that experienced with cooking. She had replied she could make the stuffing to put into their turkey. Clark was hoping he wouldn't have to worry about that. Well, at least he could keep an eye on her.

Going to the newsroom today wasn't something he had to do. Perry had let him take the day off because of Becky, but Clark wanted to see Lois. He knew they wouldn't have too many important things to do. They just had to write an article about the new phenomenal toy. It was one of the reasons he let Becky come with him. He couldn't let her stay alone at his apartment and today would be a slow news day.

Becky was delighted to be there again. She knew she had to behave herself because that place was very important to her. One day she would be as good as Lois and Clark.

Lois was walking down the ramp when she saw Clark and Becky. Her heart started beating quickly. What was happening? She didn't know. Why was she feeling all these things just by looking at him? Lois had known him for almost two years now and she had never felt like this before. This was new and she was a little afraid. Maybe it was because she would be spending Christmas with him. <It's not just that and you know it. These last couple of days have been amazing. It's been magic...incredible...and you know it.>

Lois couldn't stop her thoughts. She had the strangest sensation; it was as if someone was trying to match them up this Christmas. Lois wondered if she was feeling this way because of Becky. Since that little girl had arrived in Metropolis, things had started to change between her and Clark. She couldn't help thinking that Becky was the reason why everything was changing inside her; the way she and Clark had taken care of that little girl these last days. <Don't be ridiculous, Lois. There's no such thing as a Christmas matchmaker - and, even if there was, it wouldn't be a ten-year-old girl.> It had to be Christmas itself that was changing her feelings.

Clark watched Lois heading to her desk. She was obviously thinking about something. Clark couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful Lois was today. She had that glow in her eyes. Was she thinking about Superman again? Or could she be thinking about him, Clark. He knew that her beautiful eyes just shone like that because of Superman but maybe she had been feeling the chemistry between them these days...and had forgotten about Superman. <It's just wishful thinking, Kent, and you know it.>

"Morning, Lois," Clark said when she passed his way.

"Morning, Clark. What are you doing here? Both of you." She looked at Clark and Becky.

"Well, we didn't want to be home alone. She asked me to bring her here again and, well, I think I could help you with your story too." As soon as his words rushed out of his mouth, he knew it was a lame excuse.

"Oh, yeah. Good," Lois said. She knew deep inside that he was giving her a lame excuse, but she didn't care about that. She was happy that Clark was there, even if his presence after everything that had happened yesterday made her a little uncomfortable. She knew she couldn't avoid Clark and, actually, she didn't want to try. When she had been going to the Planet that morning she had been a little sad that she wouldn't see Clark until that evening, so she was pleasantly surprised when she arrived at the Planet and he was there with Becky.

To Clark's surprise, she seemed very happy that he was there and apparently Lois didn't worry about his feeble excuse, so he smiled at her.

Later that day, Clark and Lois went to the supermarket together so they could buy everything for the supper they were going to make that night. Becky decided to stay at Clark's apartment because she was tired. The little girl had spent the day at the Planet and she had lots of fun there, but at the same time that made her feel tired.

Becky was alone and so she picked up the phone and called someone. "Hello," she said. "Who is it?" the other person on the line asked.

"It's me...you know," the little girl said.

"Oh, right. How is everything there?"

"I think everything is going okay. I'm doing everything you asked me to do," Becky said, smiling.

"Are you alone?" the voice asked her.

"Yeah, I am alone now."

"Good. Okay, listen to me. Tonight is the night. Don't do anything wrong."

"You don't have to tell me that, I know." She smiled. "Well, I have to go now. I just called to say everything is going as you planned."

"Okay, that's good. See you later."

"Bye and Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you too."

Becky hung up the phone and decided to watch TV while she waited for Lois and Clark to come back.

"Lois, let me choose what turkey to buy. You don't understand these things," Clark said to Lois for the thousandth time.

"Clark, I just want the big one."

"Lois, the size doesn't matter. Bigger isn't always better, you know."

Lois looked at him, trying not to laugh. "Are you sure we're discussing turkey here?" She couldn't help teasing him.

Clark, realizing the meaning behind Lois' words, blushed. "Lo-is."

Lois laughed out loud. "Sorry, I couldn't help it and, besides, you look so cute when you get all embarrassed."

"Oh, really?" He grinned.

"Don't get all proud now, Kent," she said. She was enjoying everything so much. She was glad that Clark had let her help him with the shopping thing, even if she really didn't understand much about food. Lois smiled. Well, she could order good takeout, if that counted.

Clark laughed. He was having a good time. Lois had been acting so different these last couple of days. She didn't seem so skeptical about Christmas anymore and it seemed that she was having a good time, too. Well, he would do anything he could to make her smile like she was smiling now. Lois was very beautiful, especially when she smiled like that. She looked like a little girl, all excited about Christmas.

"Earth to Clark," Lois said.

"Oh, sorry, I just got distracted." He smiled shyly at her.

"You seem to get distracted a lot lately," she teased. In fact, they both had seemed to get a little distracted these last days.

"Okay, we'll get this one." He picked up a turkey and put in the shopping cart before Lois could object to his choice.

"What else do we need?" Lois didn't have a clue about what to buy next.

"Well, we have pretty much everything. I just need to buy the wine. I don't think I have the one you like, so I need to buy it."

"Oh, Clark, you don't have to do that," Lois said.

"Lois, you're my special guest tonight, so everything has to be perfect."

Lois reached out for Clark's hand. "Thank you, Clark."

"Oh, no reason to thank me." He smiled.

"No, I mean...thank you for everything you've been doing for me. I guess I don't deserve all that after everything I have said and done to you, not just that day when I told you all those bad things about Christmas but all the times I have been rude to you."

"Lois, you don't have to do that, you know that. I already told you that I understand why you told me all those things and, besides, you aren't rude all the time. I guess you haven't been rude for months now." He squeezed her hand to reassure her.

"Yeah, I guess not, but that doesn't change what I did in the past." Lois looked at the ground. She was remembering everything she did to Clark in the first months of their partnership and she was feeling ashamed.

"Lois, what's wrong? I mean, we have been friends for almost two years now and you have been amazing. We're best friends now. Why are you remembering things that happened ages ago? I mean, even then I didn't think you were rude..." She looked at him. "...Okay, maybe you were a little rude but you didn't know me. Why bring everything up again?"

Lois didn't know what to say. She didn't know why she had brought these things up. She was just feeling something that she wasn't used to feeling for Clark. She felt like crying. "I guess it's just this silly thing about Christmas." She smiled sadly at him.

"Lois, you're not alone and you're not a kid anymore. I'll give you the best Christmas of your life if you'll let me." He squeezed Lois' hand again.

"Why, Clark? Why do you care about me? I mean, after everything I did, why do you still care?" She couldn't hide her emotions; her eyes were full of tears and it was a struggle to not let them fall down in front of Clark.

Clark looked deeply into Lois' eyes. "Lois, I care for you because I..."

"Hey, you two," Perry suddenly interrupted them. "I didn't know you were shopping too. Did you leave everything for the last minute like me?"

Lois and Clark looked at each other and then at Perry. When they noticed they were still holding hands, they broke apart. Clark was the first to speak. "I guess we left the food for the last minute." He smiled at Perry.

Lois was feeling very embarrassed because Perry was looking at them as if he had just seen Pricilla and Elvis together. "How are you and Alice, Perry? Will your sons spend Christmas with you?" Lois finally asked.

"Well, Lois, Alice and I will have a lonely Christmas this year. It's snowing a lot and our sons couldn't come to Metropolis," Perry said and Lois noticed his sad voice.

"I'm sorry, Perry," Lois said. She didn't know what more she could say.

"Well, you two could spend Christmas with us. We have a lot of food," Clark said.

"Oh, no, Clark, Alice and I have plans for tonight even if we won't be with the kids." Perry winked. "I rented a little red Santa suit."

Clark blushed when he realized what Perry meant and Lois started laughing when she noticed Clark's blush. "I'm sorry, Clark, but you look funny when you're blushing," she said.

"Oh, well, I better go and leave you two alone. Merry Christmas, kids," Perry said and hugged them.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Perry," Lois and Clark said.

When Perry disappeared around a corner of the supermarket, Clark looked at Lois who was still laughing. "Lois, that wasn't funny," he said.

"Oh, Clark, you should see your face." Lois smiled at him.

"I'm glad you're having so much fun, Lois," he teased. He loved the way he and Lois could tease and have fun with each other. In spite of the embarrassment he'd felt at Perry's statement, that was a good thing because it had made Lois laugh and he loved when she laughed like that. He was happy that she wasn't almost crying, as she had been earlier. She was trying to hide it, but he knew Lois way too well to not see through her. At first Clark had wanted to kill Perry for interrupting them when he had something important he was going to tell Lois. Why were they always interrupted? It was actually unusual that the intruder hadn't been Jimmy that time.

Lois looked at him and smiled. She knew that Clark had been going to tell her something when Perry had interrupted them. She felt a little disappointed that they had been interrupted but she smiled when she thought once again about how Clark had looked so cute and had acted like a little boy who had just caught his parents making out when Perry talked about his and Alice's plans.

They stood in silence for some minutes until Clark started speaking again. "Well, I guess we still need to buy the wine after all." He smiled.

"Yeah, I think so and then I think we should go because Becky must be feeling lonely at your apartment," Lois said. She was feeling kind of sad that they had left the little girl alone even though she had been the one who had wanted to stay there. At first Lois had wanted to stay with her, but then Becky had insisted that she should go and help Clark. Lois smiled when she remembered what Becky had said, <He isn't Superman you know. So you have to go and help him carry the groceries.> Lois looked at Clark. Well, maybe he wasn't Superman, but he was a strong guy. She remembered when she had caught Clark wearing just a towel and she really knew how well defined he was.

"Yeah, you're right," Clark said. He was touched by the fact that Lois was worried about Becky.

Last part soon smile

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)