Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#91512 11/28/12 07:50 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
As you can see, I was at least as interested in how and why a do-over would happen, as I was in the outcome.

I hope the complete lack of Mr. M didn't disappoint too much.

Given the beginning, should this count as a deathfic? I didn't really think so, but that is what triggers the story. huh

Bob

#91513 11/28/12 08:37 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bob,

Wonderful story!

Nice way to do a do-over. thumbsup

With her inside knowledge they will be th ehottest-team-in-town in no time at all. party

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#91514 11/28/12 11:22 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was worried at first that Ella was Myxy in disguise and he/she would transport Lois into the past just to cause havoc. clap

What a sweet story. I'm glad Lois was able to work her way out of Ella's timing blunder.

Lots of fun.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#91515 11/28/12 05:38 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A lot had changed in the 124 years she’d been on this planet.
Oooooh!

She’d been feeling death hovering nearby for several weeks now.
mecry

She was surprised that anyone could be here without Clark having introduced them, but once she past the century mark, she’d learned not to worry about things beyond her control.
<is hearing alarm bells>

“Actually, I’m here to help you. Do you remember a… person who calls himself Myxzptlk?”
<alarm bells now have read, flashing lights to go with them>

“Yes, you see I come from a place very similar to that of Myxzptlk.” She paused as if to consider her words. “You remember that he describes himself as coming from the 5th dimension?”
<bites fingernails>

“You can think of me as coming from the 6th dimension. I have similar abilities as Myxzptlk, but I’m far more powerful.”
Oh no!

Despite her long years, she still had trouble tolerating people that would not get to the point.
There's our Lois!

“We allowed him to interfere because of the benefit to your plane, but we felt that we owed you a small measure of compensation for the challenges you were forced to endure.”
Hmmm...interesting.

Ellie turned to face her. “Haven’t you wondered why Clark hasn’t interrupted us? With his hearing you know he’d be concerned about a stranger appearing in your room.”
Very good point!

“Then I don’t want to go at all,” Lois insisted. “I won’t risk hurting Clark or my family. If my presence will change the future, who knows what damage I might cause?”
<Nods> Butterfly effect and all of that.

Lois considered for a long moment. “How about…”
When Perry hires Clark?

“And Luthor? Do you love him?” Clark asked in an accusatory tone.
Oooh!

“Clark, the truth is that you’ve been too good and too close every day for me to notice what was happening. I’ve been slowly falling in love with you too. I think I first felt it when we were chained together waiting to die at EPRAD. I didn’t see it then, but I’m sure that’s when it started.”
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

But it wouldn’t do for anyone to see Clark start to float as a result of their kiss.
Always looking out for him. smile

“Clark, I would sooner die than hurt you. I promise that I will never reveal what I know. I said that I love you and I mean it more than you can understand.”
love

It had been amazing the first time around. She was going to make sure that this time was even better.
Awwww! So WAFFy! I was worried about Ellie's intentions at first, but I'm so happy that Lois and Clark get a second life together. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#91516 11/28/12 05:42 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
whinging

~•~
#91517 11/29/12 05:15 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi everyone. Obviously this was a little fluff piece. As I said, I had just finished watching the Myx episode when I saw the do-over challenge. Since the whole point of Myx’s attack was that do-overs were bad, I got the idea to tie this to him.

Ken:
With her inside knowledge they will be the hottest-team-in-town in no time at all
You know, this could make for an interesting long story. Imagine talking this concept but expanding on it. What parts are right and what parts change due to those time ripples. It would be interesting to see Lois dealing with situations that she remembers but now have them turn out differently.

VirginiaR:
I was worried at first that Ella was Myxy in disguise and he/she would transport Lois into the past just to cause havoc
I considered such a story but only for the briefest moment.

Deadly Chakram
Awwww! So WAFFy! I was worried about Ellie's intentions at first, but I'm so happy that Lois and Clark get a second life together.
I guess I need to consider stepping back from the over-the-top WAFFY stories.

Right after I posted this I went and looked at the “Winter Holliday Challenge” list and I have an exceptionally dark story based on “Family gathering”. I may write it this weekend and let everyone get a glimpse of Dark Bob. If I write it, it would have to carry a “this story does not end well” warning. Not sure I’ll put it on paper though. Any story that fails the, “Would I want to read it?” test is a good candidate to stay in the dark place those stories lurk.

Queen of the Capes:
a little further forward than S4. / A little?!
smile Just like Ellie gave Lois a “small measure of compensation”

I’m glad you enjoyed the story.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Bob

#91518 11/29/12 06:19 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
This might have been fluff, but I like it. Also, it has great possibilities. If you ever do another in this timeline, I want to read it. I think it could be fun to see what kind of strange twists and turns a Lois and Clark event could take when Lois has foreknowledge of it, and so they take the other choice. Things might become very interesting then, because once they make a different choice than they did in the original timeline, Lois wouldn't be able to predict the outcome.

Don't do Dark Bob. I don't like dark stories that end badly. If I hadn't been introduced to stories that ended right by my dad when I was in first grade, I never would have learned to read well because I won't read the ones with bad endings. There are too many dark stories in real life and on the evening news. I read to have fun, not to feel bad.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#91519 11/30/12 03:07 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Nan,
This might have been fluff, but I like it.
Thank you. This was one of those that came out of nowhere. When I finished “Identity” my plan was to pivot immediately to “Superman Returns.” (my working title for the sequel to “When the Sky Falls”) But when after read Mary’s prompt, I couldn’t get this out of my head. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
Things might become very interesting then, because once they make a different choice than they did in the original timeline, Lois wouldn't be able to predict the outcome.
That would be the most fun if we follow this thread forward. Some things will be exactly as she remembers but other will not. Her annoyances and surprises as these developments would be interesting. It would also be fun to explore changes that created conflicts between her and Clark.
Don't do Dark Bob. I don't like dark stories that end badly.
It’s probably not going to happen. You said:
There are too many dark stories in real life and on the evening news. I read to have fun, not to feel bad.
That is EXACTLY my opinion as well. I have these ideas for dark stories but I can’t imagine any fun in actually crafting any of those into a story. For that “Family Gathering” idea, I outlined it to Beverly and she said flat out, “Don’t write it!” Since ultimately she is my inspiration and most important audience, it will never happen. However, I have another variant of the core idea that she has approved and I hope to write that as a short before Christmas. It won’t be all fluff and lightness, but it should not require a “read at own risk” warning.

Bob

#91520 12/01/12 01:34 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Sweet. Wonderful. Positive. Perfect.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#91521 12/02/12 09:26 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Morgana.

Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bob

#91522 12/02/12 01:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story, Bob! I'm glad you shared.

I keep hearing a quote from Brutal Youth -- "We'll have a long and happy life together... and then you'll just have another one" or something like that. Except this time it's Lois who gets an extra almost-hundred years. (Assuming she doesn't get herself killed). I like that.

So, re-living the past... I wonder how much stuff she'll remember accurately goofy I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't tell you that many details about what happened last year, let alone decades ago. And of course, as they go forward, her knowledge will make changes in events, so even if she remembers accurately, she might still be wrong. smile Could be lots of fun.

The other thing is, I wonder how often she'll get impatient about having to live through stuff that wasn't all that fun in the first place. All those stories she'll have to re-write!

Anyway, good job, you made me happy. And I'll join the chorus: don't go to the dark side! I don't care if they do have cookies! goofy Too depressing.

PJ
who really needs to think up a new sig file

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#91523 12/02/12 03:37 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Please don't go to the Dark Side. We have enough of that in RL! grovel

Ellie reminds me of Judi Dench in Skyfall...awesome lady.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#91524 12/03/12 04:56 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Pam wave
Great story, Bob! I'm glad you shared.
Thank you. It was my pleasure.
I wonder how much stuff she'll remember accurately. I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't tell you that many details about what happened last year, let alone decades ago.
When I was visualizing this story, I didn’t think of that. I showed your question to Beverly and asked her how she’d describe my memory. Her phrase was “exceptional and detailed.” I tend to lose sight of the fact that other people forget things. If reminded of an incident, I can remember it clearly and in detail. I can do that for things all the way back to my teens. (40 years ago) I win bets all the time with people who are sure of incidents from long ago. (In fact, I’ve never lost one of those bets.) So of course, I expect Lois to be the same way. smile
The other thing is, I wonder how often she'll get impatient about having to live through stuff that wasn't all that fun in the first place. All those stories she'll have to re-write!
Now THAT would drive me crazy.
And I'll join the chorus: don't go to the dark side! I don't care if they do have cookies!
smile I probably won’t. Most of these ideas came to me during a period from the middle of 2010 until the middle of 2011. It’s not a coincidence that I was struggling with some depression issues during that time and the only ideas I was getting were all very dark. What I AM intending to do is find ways to insert interesting and credible angst into my non-dark-ending stories.

Morgana:
Ellie reminds me of Judi Dench in Skyfall...awesome lady.
Now I have an image for Ellie.

BTW: I LOVED her in Skyfall. I enjoyed that movie, but for me the very best part was Judi Dench’s portrayal of M. She is the best M ever! (And I’ve seen every Bond movie.)

Bob

#91525 12/05/12 05:52 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I like it! You've left me with a happy smile on my face. smile (<--- See?)

Kathy

#91526 12/06/12 12:09 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aw, lovely! Now that's a do-over! clap

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#91527 12/06/12 06:05 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I agree with what others have said-- great do-over! At first I was fairly confused, but I think you gave Lois a wonderful second chance at life, and I think it could spin even further into a tale about how Lois' knowledge changes their second life together... Any chance you got this in the works? wink

Well done!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#91528 12/08/12 11:31 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Kathy
You've left me with a happy smile on my face.
Your happy face brought a smile to mine. laugh

Thanks for the note.

mozartmaid:
Aw, lovely! Now that's a do-over!
Thanks. Would it be correct to call it serendipity that I'd just watched "'Twas the Night Before Myxmas" - which is the ultimate LnC do-over episode - the day before this challenge was posted. smile1

Mouserocks:
I agree with what others have said-- great do-over! At first I was fairly confused, but I think you gave Lois a wonderful second chance at life
I've seen so many stories where Clark has all the advantages, I thought it would be fun to create a situation where Lois would, in many ways, be more powerful than Clark.
I think it could spin even further into a tale about how Lois' knowledge changes their second life together... Any chance you got this in the works?
It could be fun either as a novel or a series of shorts. But to be honest, I don't have plans for anything like that right now.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Bob

#91529 12/31/12 10:10 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This is my response to this: Do-Over Challenge
Ooooooh!

A lot had changed in the 124 years she’d been on this planet.
That’s a looong time.

But all good things must end. She’d been feeling death hovering nearby for several weeks now.
frown

But the race against time was a contest where time always won in the end.
Except when you own a time machine and a cloning facilty.

“No, but you can call me Ellie.”
Huh.

Great, someone who can cause even more trouble, Lois thought.
laugh

“That was the first shock of your death. In this particular variant of your linear existence, this instant would be the end of your life.
Oh boy.

If you, with all your knowledge and life experience, meet him too soon, he will misunderstand and fear you.”
/imagines a 16y/o Lois showing up at the farm/ hyper

Sequel! wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#91530 01/03/13 05:20 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Michael,
quote: A lot had changed in the 124 years she’d been on this planet.
That’s a looong time.
The Kryptonian biofield at work. smile1
Except when you own a time machine and a cloning facilty.
rotflol
/imagines a 16y/o Lois showing up at the farm/
That story has been done. Lois's mind is sent back to her teenage body and she heads for Smallville. It's a good story but I don't remember the title or author right now.
That was unexpectedly twisted fun, Bob!
Thank you. I'm glad yo enjoyed it.

Bob

#91531 01/05/13 09:31 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bob!

The Kryptonian biofield at work.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard