Hi FoLCs! smile

Since we're close to Christmas I'll start to post my Christmas story. I hope you'll like it. I'll be posting it every other three days.

I need to thank my BR Anna Botsakou who was so gentle with me and I know she is king of busy. I couldn't forget to thank Kathy MacFarlane who was my GE on it and not only made me blush with her comments but she found out typos that Anna and I missed. So thank you very much for all of your help, Anna and Kathy smile

I want to dedicate this story to Kathy Brown because I don't know if she remembers but she helped me last year with this story. She gave me not only the title but helped me in a plot hole. I had some problems last year and I couldn't finish this story but I couldn't forget to be thankful for her wonderful help. So Kathy, this story is now finished and it is for you...I hope you'll like it smile

DISCLAIMER: The principal characters and concepts in this story were taken from the "Lois & Clark" series and are therefore the rightful property of DC Comics, December 3 Productions and WB. The story itself is mine.

Any criticism is very welcome.

~ Christmas Matchmaker ~
By Raquel GuimarĂ£es <lanelana@yahoo.com.br>
Rated: PG

It was finally Christmas time. The white snow was falling from the sky; the kids were playing and talking to Santas everywhere; stores and shops were full of people. Everyone was happy; well, almost everyone...Lois wasn't. She was walking down the street and Clark was beside her, trying to make her see what Christmas really meant.

"Lois, I can't believe you don't see what a great time of the year we are in," Clark said, a little disappointed. He really liked this special holiday. He hoped Lois could see what kind of magic Christmas was.

"Clark, look, if you like Christmas this much I feel happy for you, but don't try to make me see what you see because I'm not in the mood today," Lois complained.

"Well, Lois, I think it's sad," Clark said, feeling a little down because of Lois' behavior.

"Sad? I'll tell you what's sad. Sad is that we don't have a thing to write about. We are in the middle of the day and we are stuck in here. Perry wants an article - an award-winning article - but we have nothing and what are we doing? We are discussing what we think about Christmas. That's sad," she finished with a flaming look that could have melted the snow around her.

"Lois, I think you should just for once try not to think about work. Perry knows that this time of the year we don't have that many things going on in the city. He just wants something. We don't have to worry about it."

"Well, when you get fired, don't say I didn't warn you." Lois rolled her eyes. She really wasn't in the mood to talk about these silly things today.

"Don't change the subject. We were talking about Christmas. Can you tell me why you don't like it?" Clark insisted.

"Clark, Christmas is a commercialized thing. It's when families pretend to like each other. They buy gifts and give them to their kids, hoping to make up for their absence in their kids' lives the whole year. They buy their kids with gifts. And when Christmas is over, they just act as they acted the whole year. Everything is back to normal. They don't have to pretend anymore. It's all fake; that's why I don't like Christmas. I don't want to be part of this hypocrisy," she finished and sighed.

"You're wrong, Lois. It's magic, happy and lovely. It's when we can be with our loved ones and share our love with them. We can see the snow falling from the sky while we eat our special dinner. We can talk about everything and sing Christmas songs. It's a time for sharing and forgiveness."

"Sharing and forgiveness? It's just for one day, Clark. After Christmas everything and everyone will be back to normal. People will be fighting again or talking badly to their kids. Too much so for sharing and forgiving for the next Christmas."

"I hope you change your mind someday," Clark said, feeling a bit sad. He couldn't believe Lois was thinking that way. Christmastime was the best season for him.

"Why?" She stared at him.

"Well, I think you won't be a good mother if you behave like this on Christmas. Your kids would be very sad." Yes, they would, Clark thought.

"Clark, I won't have kids and, besides, this is my own business, it has nothing to do with you." Lois was feeling pretty uneasy now and when she felt that way she used her Mad Dog Lane style.

"Whatever you say, Lois. Whatever you say." Clark looked at the ground and sighed. He was really sorry that Lois thought that way. Well, he knew Lois was just trying to be strong and look normal, but the truth was that she didn't like Christmas because she was always alone. Her parents had divorced at Christmas time. She had told him that a while ago. Her mother's problems with alcohol; her father's absence. She had lived through hell when she was a kid and now she was trying to deny it. He sighed again.

They walked in silence towards the Planet. Lois was thinking about the things Clark had said to her. Why was he so disturbed that she didn't like Christmas? Why did he seem so sad when she said she wouldn't have kids? Well, she knew Clark had had a great childhood and he always seemed to enjoy everything. Obviously, he was trying to make her see Christmas through his eyes.

She looked at him. He was sad, she could tell just by looking at him. He had his hands in his pockets and was looking at the ground. Her heart ached. <For God's Sake, Lois! What did you do? He was just trying to make you enjoy what he enjoys. He was trying to see you happy and what did you do? You made him sad. You ruined his day.>

She looked at him again and stopped walking. "Clark, I'm sorry."

Clark stopped walking too and looked at her. "For what?"

"For everything I told you. I didn't want to let you down. I just don't feel that way about Christmas. I know you have great parents and that they were always there for you at Christmas time, but I wasn't so lucky. I always felt that Christmas was when my mom got drunk and my father wasn't home. I never felt what it really means because I never had...I never believed in it." She didn't face him because she knew her eyes were full of tears. She couldn't let Clark see how much the whole thing hurt her.

"Lois, look at me." When she didn't, Clark put his thumb on her chin and forced her to look at him. He saw her eyes; they were full of tears and she looked so vulnerable. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, Clark. I didn't want to make you sad. I don't even know why you are still my friend. I'm a horrible person. I'm so sorry." This time she couldn't fight back tears and they rolled down her cheek.

"Lois, don't talk about yourself this way. You're not a horrible person. You are the greatest person that I know. You're my best friend. You're intelligent and funny, a little pig-headed sometimes but I think that's what makes you unique. I lo...like you a lot."

"Really?" She brushed her tears away.

"Really, and that's why I want you to spend Christmas with me," he said, looking into her eyes.

"No, Clark. That's sweet, but I can't." She looked away. She couldn't let his puppy dog eyes convince her to intrude on his family time.

"Why?" Clark asked a little bleakly.

"Because I don't want to go to Smallville and I don't want to intrude in your family time."

"Lois, you won't be intruding and I'm not going to Smallville. My parents are coming to Metropolis this year. So, will you spend Christmas with me and my folks?"

She thought for some time. "I don't know, Clark."

"Well, you have three days to think about it. I'm sure my parents would be glad if you came." Clark smiled at her. Maybe he could convince her after all.

"I'll think about it. I promise. Thanks, Clark." Lois smiled at him. How could Clark be so adorable? He was the sweetest guy she had ever met and she was lucky that he was her friend. Before Clark she had never had a best friend. She was feeling much better now.

"You're welcome."

"Can we go back to the Planet now? It's freezing here," Lois complained.

"Yes, we can, Lois." He smiled and put an arm around her waist to warm her. He always liked an excuse just to be near her this way. Thank God, it was freezing outside.

Clark was sitting at his desk when the telephone rang. Lois watched him while he was talking on the phone. When she saw he had finished the call, she walked up to his desk.

"What's up?" she asked him.

"It was my mom. She said she and Dad are coming to Metropolis and they are bringing my little cousin with them."

"Cousin? I didn't know you have a cousin."

"Yeah, she is actually my cousin second degree because her mom is my dad's brother's daughter. She lives in Wichita. Her name is Rebecca. It's been a long time since I last saw her. I used to play with her mother when we were young. I loved when Mom and Dad wanted to go to Wichita because I could play with her. The last time I saw her was when she gave birth to her kid. Elizabeth is a good mom."

"How old is Rebecca?"

"She is just 10 years old. I can't believe I'll see her. I still remember when I went to the hospital to visit Elizabeth. She was so happy. I remember that she joked with me about how she was the first to bring another child into our family."

"Why did she joke about that?" Lois asked him.

"Well, Elizabeth and I were very competitive and we bet about everything. One day we were thinking about our next bet and Elizabeth thought that it would be fun to bet who would be the first to have a child." He smiled.

"I think that was a good bet to lose. And besides, you are as far from having a child as I am." She slapped his arm and smiled.

"Yeah, but we were just kids, Lois. How was I to know I would lose the bet?" Clark chuckled.

Lois noticed that he was looking like a farm kid all over again and she smiled. "Clark, you always lose," she teased him.

"Well, I'm looking forward to seeing her again. And I think it was one of my mom's good ideas."

"Yeah," Lois barely whispered. Clark seemed so happy talking about his childhood. She had never had a close relationship with her family. Well, family...it was something she had never had, at least not in the way people were used to having. "Clark will be a good father."

"What did you say?" Clark asked her, surprised.

It was just when Clark spoke that she realized she had said that last thought out loud. "Oh, I was just thinking out loud. Never mind." Lois blushed.

"Okay." Clark smiled. Of course he had heard that Lois had said 'Clark will be a good father'. He was delighted that she was thinking that way about him.

Lois was walking to her desk when Clark called her. "Hey, Lois, what about you?"

"What about me?" She was still lost in her thoughts.

"Well, it would be good if you would come to my place and spend Christmas with me and my folks." Clark tried once again to talk her into spending the magical season with him.

"I'm still thinking about it, Clark," she said a little hesitantly. She wanted to accept Clark's invitation but she still didn't know if that was a good idea.

"Okay, we still have time," he said, a little disappointed that she hadn't accepted.

"Can I go back to my desk now? We have a lot of work to do, Kent." Lois was smiling. She liked teasing him by calling him Kent. She used to call him Kent when he first came to the Daily Planet because it was a way to distance herself from him, but now she did it just to tease him. Lois knew it had been a long time since she had thought about Clark that way. She couldn't think about him that way. He was her best friend now.

"Okay, Miss Lane."

They both laughed and went back to work.

Clark was at his apartment, thinking about this Christmas. It would be good to have Lois there. She was still thinking but he could see she wanted to come. After everything she had told him yesterday, he was feeling a little sad and he wanted to show her what Christmas really meant. It would be great to spend this special night with his parents, Lois and his little cousin. It would be like a glimpse of the future. Well, except that Lois wasn't his wife and Rebecca wasn't their child, but it would be good to look to the future.

Someone knocked at the door before he could daydream more. He x- rayed the door and saw his parents and a little girl behind it.

"Hi, guys!" he said while he helped his parents with their baggage.

"Hi, son!" Jonathan and Martha said.

"Why didn't you call me from the airport? I could have brought you here."

"We wanted to surprise you," Martha said.

Clark finished putting their things inside his apartment and looked at the little blonde girl. She was a little embarrassed and quiet. "So you must be Rebecca."

"Yeah. Nice to meet you, cousin Clark. Your parents told me a lot about you." She smiled shyly.

"Nice to meet you too, Rebecca." Clark smiled and bent down to kiss his cousin.

"Call me Becky. That's what my friends call me," the little girl said timidly.

"Okay, Becky." Clark smiled.

"Son, Becky is on vacation and her mother would have come to Metropolis with her, but it seems someone on her husband's side of the family is sick and she didn't want to disappoint Becky. I said I was coming to Metropolis and I would be glad to bring her with me. This little girl wanted to meet you because she wants to be a reporter. She's a big fan of yours. Right, Becky?" Martha said.

"Right." Becky smiled this time with a very happy face.

"Oh, then I'm happy you're here," Clark said. He wasn't used to seeing kids wanting to be reporters, especially newspaper reporters. Kids at Becky's age rarely, if ever, read newspapers; they preferred the TV instead, where they could see someone's face and not just read their words. He was happy that his cousin was a fan of his, though.

"Tell Becky what you do every day at the Planet. She wants to know what it's like to work as a reporter for a big newspaper," Martha said.

"First of all I want to thank you for liking my job, Becky. Do you know I used to play with your mom when we were kids?" Clark asked Becky.

"Yeah. Mom's always told me about the things you both did in the past. She said you were around my age when you played together."

"Right. When we grew up I saw her marrying your father and then giving birth to you. The last time I saw you was when you were still a baby. It was when I went to visit your mom at the hospital. You're a big girl now. I can't believe that little baby became such a beautiful and nice girl."

"She's a lot like Elizabeth," Martha said.

"Cousin, tell me about your job." Becky was thrilled. She couldn't believe her cousin had such an exciting job.

"Well, my job is investigating people, writing articles and catching the bad guys. It's pretty exciting." Clark smiled and winked at Martha.

"Oh, it's like a detective," Becky commented.

"Yeah. It's good to do the right thing and help build a better world. Everyone can do his or her part. I'm just doing what I feel is right."

"I want to be a reporter too. Your job is a lot like Superman's."

"Yeah," Clark said, blushing. "And it's good to write, too. We can help people realize that the world can be a better place if we believe in it. People who read our articles can see we are doing our part in it. We are trying to make a difference. That's what reporters do."

"Fight for truth and justice?" Becky asked, smiling.

"Right. It's not just Superman. Everyone should fight for what's right. We don't need to have super powers to do that and whatever we can do is enough." Clark remembered Lois' speech when she had said that Superman couldn't be everywhere but that whatever he could do was enough. Well, he thought that Lois' words could serve to everyone. If every person in this world could do just a tiny thing to change the bad things that happened, then the world would be a better place to live.

"Do you know Superman?" the little girl asked him suddenly.

"Of course. He's my friend." Clark looked at Martha and Jonathan and smiled.

"I wish I could meet him," Becky said a little sadly. She didn't really think she could ever meet Superman but, well, it was Christmastime and, maybe, she could have her little dream come true.

"Well, Metropolis is Superman's home. You may see him eventually." Clark winked at Jonathan and Martha.

Martha looked at her watch and said, "Clark, I think it's late and Becky should be sleeping right now."

"Oh yeah. Mom, Dad, you can sleep in my bedroom. I'll set up a mattress to sleep on and Becky can sleep on the couch."

"Oh, cousin Clark, I don't want to sleep. There are a lot of things I want to know."

"Tomorrow, Becky. It's late now. I promise I'll take you with me to the Planet tomorrow. You can ask my partner some questions if you want to."

"Of course I want to. Thanks, cousin." Becky hugged Clark. She was so excited about going to the Daily Planet.

"You're welcome. Now you have to brush your teeth and go to bed, okay?" Clark said as if he was used to taking care of kids.

"Okay. Where's the bathroom?" she asked.

"It's over there." Clark pointed to his bedroom. "It's on the left."

Becky ran to the bathroom.

"You have such a way with kids, Clark. You'll be a good father someday. I'm proud of you," Martha said, smiling.

"I learned from the best parents in the world." Clark hugged Martha and Jonathan. "Oh, and did you know Lois thinks I'll be a good father too?" He smiled shyly.

"Really, son?" Martha asked him.

"Yeah, but she thought she hadn't said it out loud. Of course I heard it. But when I asked her what she had said, Lois just said 'Never mind'. I felt pretty happy with what she thinks, Mom."

"Maybe you'll have a surprise this Christmas." Martha looked away to wink at Jonathan.

"Maybe, but she is still thinking about whether she is going to spend Christmas with us, though," Clark said a little sadly.

"Well, I'm sure she will accept our offer, Clark. It's just that Lois has all those feelings about Christmas. She has to think about them first."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Well, we have to go to sleep. We had a long flight. Goodnight, son," Jonathan said.

"Goodnight, Mom. Goodnight, Dad." Clark hugged both his parents.

"Goodnight, Clark," Martha said.

Clark helped Becky to sleep and he slept too, eventually.

Clark entered the Planet building, followed by a little girl. He had promised he would take Becky to the newsroom. She was all excited. She couldn't believe that she was visiting the most famous newspaper in the world and that her cousin had a job there.

Lois looked at Clark and the little girl while they were walking down the ramp. She noticed how happy Clark was today.

"Good morning!" Clark said to Lois.

"Good morning, Clark! So, who is this little girl?" Lois asked curiously.

"Oh, this is Becky, my little cousin. The one my mom brought to Metropolis. I told you yesterday."

"Oh yeah, I remember. She is beautiful," Lois commented.

"Yeah. She came to Metropolis because she wanted to meet me and..."

"I want to be a reporter too," the little girl interrupted.

"Oh, really?" Lois asked her.

"Yeah. You must be Lois Lane, right?" Becky said, so sure of herself and of what she was saying that she didn't seem to be just 10 years old.

"Yes. How did you know?" Lois asked her, surprised.

"I read the newspaper. You and Clark have written some great articles."

"Oh, thanks." Lois was amazed that a little girl had read her articles. She thought they were too adult for a kid to read them but, well, she probably had been that way too when she was little. She remembered when she used to think adults were like dinosaurs because they were all grown up but their brains weren't as developed as hers. Lois smiled. Of course she was wrong but, still, there are some adults who were like dinosaurs anyway. She could name a few.

"Can I ask you something?" Becky said, drifting Lois away from her thoughts.

"Yeah," Lois answered.

"Are you two together? I mean, as a couple?" Becky was blushing now.

Lois looked at Clark. He was as red as Becky and she probably thought she was red too. "Oh, no. We are just friends. We are best friends."

"Really, cousin Clark?" She looked a little sad. Ever since she had started reading their articles and when her mom talked about Clark she thought Lois was his girlfriend. She didn't know if it was her fairy tale taste but she thought it would be great if her favorite reporters were together. She still blushed for thinking that, though.

"Yeah." Clark sounded a little disappointed even though that wasn't his intention.

"Oh, it's a shame because you two would be a cute couple." She tried to help.

Clark looked at Lois and tried to change the subject a bit. "Lois, Becky will be in Metropolis for a couple of days. She'll be spending Christmas with my parents and me. Oh, speaking of Christmas, did you think about my offer?"

"Clark, I don't know. You will have too many people at your place. I don't want to bother you." She really had been thinking about giving him a positive answer, but knowing that his family would be there and even his cousin she didn't want to feel as if she was intruding.

"Please, Miss Lane. I would like to spend Christmas with both of you. It would be my gift," Becky said with pleading eyes.

"Call me Lois. I will think about it, I promise you," Lois smiled. She didn't like kids that much, especially because she had had enough of them when she raised Lucy while her mom was too busy getting drunk and her father was having his affairs, but she was starting to like Becky. She didn't know if perhaps it was because Becky was from Clark's family and had the same country background, but she liked that little girl.

"Lois, we just have two days," Clark reminded her.

"I know, I know. Don't worry, I'll let you know soon."

Clark rolled his eyes.

"Clark! What about your parents? Why didn't you bring them here? I miss them," Lois said suddenly.

"My parents have gone shopping. You will see them later. I brought Becky here because she has a lot of questions about our job."

"Well, you will need some help with Becky here so I guess I could help you."

"Help me? Lois, you..." Clark looked at Becky and whispered into Lois' ear. "...don't like kids. Remember what happened the last time you were around them?"

"Oh, Clark, that was some time ago and, besides, I was dealing with a smart kid then. I practically raised Lucy. I know better than you how to take care of a child. And do you want me to spend Christmas with you or not?"

"Yeah, I want. But what does it have to do with my offer?" he asked, looking a little lost.

"Nothing. I was just kidding. Let me help you." She smiled at him.

"Okay, then. I hope you know what you are doing." Clark rolled his eyes. He was praying that Becky would be back to him without any accident...accident to her or to Lois.

"I know," she said stubbornly.

Lois turned to Becky who was talking to Jimmy. "Hey, Becky, do you want to meet our Editor? You could ask him some questions."

"Oh, I would love to," the little girl replied.

Clark looked at Lois while she was taking Becky to Perry's office. He was amazed to see how Lois was acting around his cousin. He had never thought Lois would be the kind of woman who liked kids or would be comfortable around them. Clark started to wonder what it would be like if Becky were his and Lois' child. It would be amazing to spend some time with Lois and the kid during this holiday. It would be as if they were really a family. <Get a grip, Kent! Lois isn't romantically attracted to you. She's just your partner and friend...nothing more. Besides, she made it clear yesterday that she doesn't think she will have kids.> Clark sighed.

Some minutes later, Lois walked back to her desk.

"Hey, Lois. Where is Becky?" Clark asked her.

"Oh, I left her with Perry. I think she has a lot of questions to ask him and he is interested in telling her some of his Elvis stories," Lois rolled her eyes.

"And you're not in the mood to listen to Perry and his Elvis stories, right?" Clark tried to guess why Lois had left his cousin alone with Perry.

"You bet."

They both laughed out loud.

To be continued on saturday smile

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)