Print Thread
#89365 09/01/12 12:43 PM
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Pat,

Glad to see you're OK.

Things are proceeding apace. It's nice that superman can do that for the team.

I wonder about income taxes though. What is Superman's SSN? I think it would have been better to have donated all of the money to the Foundation and then have them disburse the funds. As a non-profit there would be no tax consequences.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
All good points, Ken. I was wondering myself about Superman getting involved so personally with one company or media outlet. It might give the Trasks of the world another gripe against him.

Lois tried to get details from Clark about what he had in mind, but he resisted telling her. He just grinned at her and said, “it is Superman’s secret and I do not tell tales on the big guy.”
And there went their engagement.

The look on Lois’ face made him consider that joke was unacceptable. He wasn‘t going to risk stepping back where Lois did not trust him.
Yep!

The search for the location and ownership of the kryptonite cage was a worry for both Lois and Clark.
Ownership? clap

Perry got back to Clark about what the eleven owners of the Daily Planet wanted: a total of $15 million for their interest in the paper.
Didn't they get more than that in combined pocket change after they bought their DP shares?

If all four of them kicked their money back into the pot, it would barely cover what was asked. Perry was sure that Clark would give his share back, but Jimmy and Jack would not be as reasonable.
Oh, right.

Lois asked if he always could have made that kind of money, and he assured her that he never wanted to, but he was capable of making a living by using Superman’s special abilities. And to think that she had been worried about unemployment funds being enough or running out.
Um... doesn't he have like $5million in pocket change somewhere?

It would be hard for him to stop mining at $15 million. As the orange sun arose over the area, it found a very excited man in a red and blue outfit with a cape flapping in the breezes waiting in front of the assay office to file his claim with the county.
I'm confused on why Superman is making this claim, and not Clark. Couldn't someone say he has an unfair advantage? First, it draws attention to the possiblities of Superman's powers being used for other things besides helping people. And, secondly, I think it would be bad PR.

Later that afternoon, he returned with the coal car loaded to the brim with pure, very clear gold. He took it to the office and was told it would take them overnight to weigh and grade all that he had brought. Superman told them that he would be willing to pay the office to stay open and do just that. He explained that it was a gift to a friend, and he needed to finish his mining as soon as he could.
Granted, his Clark persona would not have been able to do that.

When he returned he told Lois that he would not have to return because two days work had netted him more than $15 million he needed. That made Lois stop speaking, but her mind kept working. Superman could make that much money in that short a time? And she once upon a time thought he was a hick from Nowheresville? He excelled in all he did. WOW!
Why am I picturing $$ in her irises?

Two days later, a picture of Superman appeared in the newspaper under the title, “Saving a Friend’s Business.” The Wasilla Register had been tipped off that Superman was going to pick up a check from the assay office for $21.6 million dollars.
Not surprised about that.

The Register said he planned to save the business of a friend and donate the balance to the Superman Foundation, a non-profit that helped the less fortunate.
Yes, why couldn't the Superman Foundation... well, I guess that wouldn't be the goal of the Superman Foundation helping out people with their businesses. Yes, I see why he kept that separation from the Foundation.

It was soon estimated that they needed about 3,000 orchids to blanket the front of the church as Lois saw it. Clark assured her that would not be a problem.
That seems a bit excessive, Lois.

Lois had her dress from Gina’s and was busy sewing her something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue to the hem of her dress. She also had a six pence for her shoe.
I haven't heard of the coin in the shoe tradition, or the sewing of the old, new, borrowed, and blue items onto the dress itself. What do the coins represent?

So, I wonder, where is the cage?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I do address the legal issues. It just seemed that there was a natural break in the story here so it leaves it hanging. The story is finished completely, and when I post it all you will see that I took this in to consideration. I appreciate you trying to help me though. I needed a lot of help with this one. When I posted, I lost the original through a deletion. So I had to reconstruct the story. Don't blame my beta for the mistakes. She did a wonderful job and the goofs are all mine.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
The "not a big wedding" and the 3,000 orchids do not seem to be compatible with each other.

At one point in the story there was a "seems" that I think maybe should have been "seemed".

John Pack Lambert
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Question for readers:

Do you think 3,000 orchids were too many?

My thoughts were, First Presby Church in Metropolis is near cathedral in size. Lois is not a church person. She loved the picture of Jesus holding the lamb, but the rest of the front of the church would not mean much to her. SO, because she has use of Superman's floral services she would figure a way to cover the rest of the front of the church leaving only the stained glass window showing. To be able to build a flower-based front of the church that massive would take a lot of ferns and to decorate those ferns with orchids would take more than the normal amount.

Still too over-the-top?
Thanks for helping.
Pat

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by angelsgmaw:
Question for readers:

Do you think 3,000 orchids were too many?
Since most commerical orchids aren't harvested but grown in hothouses, would harvesting so many at once from the wild... a) be possible? and b) be enviromentally friendly?

My thoughts were, First Presby Church in Metropolis is near cathedral in size.
How is cathedral in size a "small wedding" again? clap When I think small wedding, I think something like mine where we invited 50 people, but not all of them showed.

In my opinion if Metropolis is an old city like NYC, it would have churches of all different size, shapes, and denominations. Does "first" in "first Presby" refer to a type of religion or that it was the first Presby in town or first as in largest?

Lois is not a church person. She loved the picture of Jesus holding the lamb, but the rest of the front of the church would not mean much to her. SO, because she has use of Superman's floral services she would figure a way to cover the rest of the front of the church leaving only the stained glass window showing. To be able to build a flower-based front of the church that massive would take a lot of ferns and to decorate those ferns with orchids would take more than the normal amount.
See, I didn't catch that when they were talking about the flowers. I thought he was covering the walkway, like many people do with rose petals. Covering the entire front of a church, especially a big "cathedral-sized" church, with flowers would seem excessive to me. If the window was in one of the smaller alcoves or chapels, the space would be much smaller, especially if the flowers were placed inside the church as opposed to outside. (I'm not familiar with First Presby churches and whether or not they have smaller chapels inside as some Catholic churches and cathedrals would.)

Still too over-the-top?
I would think so, but I'm not really an extravagant person.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay. Thanks, Virginia.

I guess I'll back down how many orchids Superman has to cut. Now he's got some time left over. sloppy

Thanks.
Pat

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
i really love this one

Shelley

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard