Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Where we left off in Part 32

“I dreamed of this,” Lois murmured as he carried her inside and shut the door. She sounded half-asleep.

“Dreamed of what?” he asked, walking in the direction of the bedrooms.

“You carrying me over the threshold.”

Clark stopped and glanced down at her. Did she mean him, Clark? Or him, Superman?

Her eyes fluttered open to see why they had stopped moving and saw him watching her. “It was a dream, Clark, nothing else. We were on assignment in a hotel’s honeymoon suite as husband and wife.”

He exhaled. Of course. “So, you’ve dreamed of being Lois Kent?” he teased, unable to stop the deepening of his voice as he said her name like that. He had dreamed of that too, but for him it was becoming a real fantasy. Clark continued into the bedroom with the open door.

“Lois Kent? Lois Lane Kent?” Lois repeated as if sounding out that name for size as her brow furrowed. “That’s funny.”

He pressed his lips together. “I don’t think it sounds funny at all,” he murmured, setting her down on her bed.

“No, Clark,” she said, sounding apologetic. “Odd funny, not ha-ha funny. I mean it...” She shook her head. “No, never mind.”

He set down her purse on her dresser. He needed to hear more, but not so far away with him standing and her sitting. Finally, he settled on kneeling next to her under the guise of helping her with her shoes. “Tell me.”

“It’s just one of those feelings I get sometimes… like I was trying the name on for size. I wish I could explain it better. Like it was a dream, only not. It makes me sad,” she said.

Clark squeezed his eyes shut. Putting their names together made her sad? He tried not to take it personally, but was finding it hard not to. He felt her hand caress his cheek and tilt up his jaw. He opened his eyes and saw her staring at him.

“Sad, not because I was marrying you, but because I was marrying someone else… the wrong man,” she explained with a shake of her head as if she couldn’t explain what she herself didn’t understand.

“I’d never let that happen,” he said, and then realized that sounded a bit heavy handed for a friend. “I mean, marry the wrong man, Lois. If there was someone out there who made you happy and you truly loved him, I wouldn’t stand in the…” Clark knew as soon as the words escaped, he had said too much.

“There is only one man for me, Clark,” she whispered, her hand sliding through his hair to the back of his head, drawing him nearer. “Only one man I can ever see myself marrying.”

“Oh?” he wondered, resting his forehead against hers. Their lips were almost touching.

“Uh-huh,” Lois said, breathless from his proximity, but she wasn’t pushing him away. She wasn’t stopping him.

Clark closed the distance and brushed his lips to hers.

Part 33

“Oh!” Lois gasped, her hand pressing on the back of his head, her mouth opening for him.

Clark could feel the electric current running through them, pulling them closer, joining them. He wondered if she could feel it as well, when she moaned. It wasn’t a groan from pain, or discomfort. It was certainly a moan of longing and yearning, of acceptance. Her legs relaxed and separated, allowing him on his knees to slip between them.

“No, Clark,” Lois murmured against his lips. “I can’t. Don’t.”

He drew back, giving her space. He could see the desire in her eyes, yet there was conflict there too between sorrow and want.

“Don’t make me cheat on him,” she requested, as if it were Clark’s decision and not hers.

One word slapped his face. “Cheat?”

“Superman. I love him,” she said simply.

She loved Superman but desired Clark. He could work with that. “Oh, Lois,” Clark said, moving closer and resting his head against hers again. “You wouldn’t be cheating on him…”

“I know that he and I don’t have an official, or even a non-official, relationship, and I know that we may never have one, Clark,” Lois said. “I’ve accepted that any relationship that we have would be a limited one, but I still love him. I will always love him. I’m not ready to move on. Don’t put me in that position. Not now, please.”

“Lois, what I’m trying to tell you, is that I’m okay with you loving him, and I’m not asking you to move on.”

“What are you saying, Clark?” she asked, setting her hand on his shoulder and pushing him back far enough that she could look in his eyes.

He realized that he had done this all wrong. Clark couldn’t tell Lois that Superman didn’t exist anymore because she had gotten hurt, and he couldn’t tell Lois that he had been Superman, not like this. He couldn’t tell her during a conversation about cheating or moving on, not tonight, the night she had been shot. There had to be a better way. “No, Lois. You’re right. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pushed you.” He stood up. “I’m sorry, Lois. I’ll leave.”

“Clark, wait,” Lois called to him as he reached the door. “I should be the one apologizing.”

“You never have to apologize with me, Lois. I told you that,” Clark said.

“No, I do. I shouldn’t have led you on. I know how much you like me, but…” She paused, focusing her eyes on his. “I need you.” She raised her right arm, the one in the sling. “I need you.”

Clark returned to her and knelt down beside her again. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “Tell me what to do.”

“Stop apologizing, Clark. You’re making me feel worse for using you,” she grumbled.

“I shouldn’t have taken advantage of you in your weakened state,” he confessed, feeling even more guilty for their kiss, not so much that he would go back in time and stop it, but guilty nonetheless. “I shouldn’t have tried to kiss you when I know how you feel about him. That was wrong of me and…”

“Clark,” she said, setting her hand on his shoulder again. “Can we just forget about the kiss for now?”

Never.

“Can’t we just be friends?” Lois continued.

Friends with benefits? He shook that thought out of his head. Wait, did she say ‘forget about the kiss for now’? Hope that he had begun thinking would never come to this relationship blossomed in his heart. “I’ll be whatever you want me to be, do whatever you need, for as long as you need me to do it.”

She stared at him, and he could have sworn a low moan emerged from deep inside her throat. “You’re my partner, Clark. To make that work we need to be friends, just friends, equals.”

For now. Clark nodded. He could do that.

“I need to go to bed,” Lois said.

He nodded and stood back up.

She put a hand on his arm. “Can you help me? Or should I wake Lucy?”

What exactly did she want him to do? He nodded. “I’ll try.” Neither of them could expect more than that.

Lois slid her hand into his and used his strength to pull herself to her feet.

Yes, he could do that.

He watched as she walked over to her dresser. She paused and glanced over at him. “Turn around. I don’t want you looking in my underwear drawer.”

Clark had turned his back to her before she had finished speaking. He already had enough to fantasize about, thank you very much.

He heard a drawer open and then a few moments later, close again. He then listened as she tugged on another drawer. “Clark,” she groaned. “I can’t get this drawer open with just one hand.”

He was behind her a moment later, and from over her shoulder, he asked, “Which drawer?”

She took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. She placed her hand on one of the handles and he copied her with the other handle. “It gets stuck sometimes.”

Together they pulled her drawer open. Inside lay piles of silky nightclothes. Lois dug through the drawer and pulled out a pair of sleep shorts. She used her hip to shut the drawer.

Clark took a step back and gave her space.

Lois crossed back over to the bed and dropped her things there. “Could you wait outside?”

He nodded and quickly left, closing her bedroom door behind him. He ran his hands through his hair. For now. Oh, God, he was going to die before ‘later’ arrived.

“I can do this. I can do this,” he could hear her grumbling to herself. He knew she hated feeling powerless and not being able to change her own clothes would be the epitome of helplessness.

The door opened a crack and he could see Lois’s eye peer out. “Clark, if I asked you to do something with your eyes closed…? No, never mind. I can’t ask that of you. We should wake Lucy.”

“What?” Clark asked. His heart racing with curiosity.

Lois pressed her lips together. “No. I can’t.”

He noticed it was ‘I can’t’ and suddenly Lois’s apartment felt in need of air conditioning from the summer’s heat. “Lois, I promise not take advantage of you. What do you need me to do?” Please.

“Unfasten my skirt.”

Clark couldn’t feel his heart beating any longer. He didn’t know if this was because it was beating so fast it felt still or because it had actually exploded out of his body. “With my eyes closed?”

“No, that would’ve been for my bra,” she said.

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. Clark gulped, mentally calculating how far the nearest snow bank was from Metropolis.

Lois opened the door and lifted up the hem of her shirt. Clark ran his fingers around the waist of her skirt until he found the button and zipper. As soon as he had it unfastened, it started to slip down her body and he stepped back into the hall. His hands were shaking from the feel of her skin under his fingers.

Clark stretched and flexed his fingers. His eyes closed as he remembered touching her soft skin as he searched for the button of her skirt.

For now.

He could do this. Between their brief kiss and touching her skin, he could wait for her to be ready.

He heard a faint swooshing noise and recognized it as the sound of her skirt sliding down her body. If he felt not having any contact with Lois was torture, he now knew this was worse. She was a sip of cool water to a man coming off a two month trek in the desert.

Clark could hear her exertions on trying to put on the shorts with only one hand, especially only her left hand, but he knew that even if it took her a half-hour, she wouldn’t ask for his assistance. Nor would he offer it. He might want to help her in any way he could, but even he knew better than to save Lois from her independence. He decided that this would be a good time to go through her cabinets to see if there was anything he could fix her to eat.

He had just finished going through her kitchen cabinets, when he heard her bedroom door open and close.

“What are you doing?” Lois asked.

Clark turned around to find her barefoot, in her hospital t-shirt and sleep shorts, her arm still in the sling, leaning against the door frame and watching him. She had never looked sexier.

“I thought you might be hungry, but – the Dickens – if I can find your food.”

“I’m okay,” she said, pointing at the fridge. “I usually eat microwave meals or take-out.”

“How do you do it? You eat nothing but junk, and yet you look like a teenage boy’s pipedream,” he said, trying to echo the words she had used on him when she had visited his apartment at the Apollo Hotel.

“I work out. You want to help me in the bathroom or not?” she asked. “It’s kind of hard to brush my teeth one handed.”

His brow furrowed. He always brushed his teeth one handed.

“The toothpaste cap,” Lois reminded him.

Clark nodded, understanding, and followed her into the bathroom. She pointed out her toothpaste and brush. He combined them for her, and stood back to watch.

“I bet this is very entertaining,” she said, her mouth full of suds and Clark couldn’t help but smile.

“It’s only the first day, Lois. Things will get better for you,” he reassured her. “I once had a foster brother with a broken wrist. There’s an adjustment period, but you’ll learn.”

Lois spit her toothpaste into the sink and seemed to stare at him in the mirror as she finished brushing her teeth. She spit again and rinsed her toothbrush. “I’ll skip flossing tonight.” She put away her toothbrush and pulled out her hairbrush. After a couple of tugs, she groaned.

“Think of it this way, your left arm will never be stronger,” he said.

“Ha-ha,” she grumbled. “I’m going to have to wash my hair tomorrow.”

“Lucy volunteered to help you with your bathing,” Clark said.

“Good thing, or I’d have to go get my hair cut off,” she retorted, before throwing down her brush in frustration.

Clark picked it up. “Come on,” he said, leaving the bathroom and heading to her bedroom. He was already sitting on her bed when she entered.

Lois raised a skeptical eyebrow at him.

He patted the bed next to him. “When I was fifteen, I had a foster sister, Marbella.” He smiled sweetly at the memory. “She was seven, and I was put in charge of brushing her hair every day before school. I’m very gentle.”

Clark had put himself in charge of it. If he hadn’t done so, Bella’s hair would still have been a rat’s nest when she left the house. He sighed. Bella had been put into foster care when her mother’s boyfriend had abused her. If it hadn’t been for Clark, he was sure someone else would have picked up where that man had left off. In the six months he knew her, Clark taught her to say ‘No’ and to stand up for herself. At least, he hoped he had.

“What happened to her?” Lois asked, sitting down next to him.

“She was able to go home,” he whispered, slowly running the brush through Lois’s brown hair. “Not everyone who ends up in foster care stays in foster care.”

Befriending Bella had made him want to have kids someday. He liked how she trusted him, when others had not. She looked up to him. She believed in him. It felt good.

“How old were you when your parents died?” Lois asked, and Clark realized how much he had been sharing.

“Ten,” he replied and quickly changed the subject. “Just let me know if you want me to braid your hair, or do pony tails. I’m quite the expert,” he teased, pulling her hair up into a mock pony tail. He drew in a breath as he realized how beautiful the curve of her neck was. Just seeing it silhouetted against the dim lamplight made him drop her hair again and stand up, so he wouldn’t be tempted to kiss down her neck. “Or not. I wouldn’t want all those Metropolis vampires to get any ideas,” he said. It was a crazy thing to say, but he was losing his brain function.

“Thanks. I think,” Lois replied, turning to face him, and running a hand over her hair to double-check it.

“Do you have your medications for the morning?” he asked, standing awkwardly at the door of her bedroom. Why had he chosen to come in here to brush her hair?

Lois nodded to her purse, and he went to pull them out for her, setting them on her dresser.

“You can have more pain medication at six a.m.,” he reminded her.

She came up behind him, and touched his arm. “Thanks, Clark.”

“I should go. Let you get your sleep,” he said, moving back to the door and away from her touch. God, he wanted to kiss her again, and the last thing he wanted to do was go. “Unless, there’s something else you need. I can stay if you want me to stay. Whatever you need, I’m yours.”

Why, oh, why did he have to say that?

Lois cracked a smile. “Whatever I need?” She approached him. “What if I needed chocolate chip cookies?”

“You want cookies? I can go find you cookies,” he said, relishing the idea of escaping and getting some fresh air. “There are bakeries opening up soon, and I’m sure I could find…”

“Would you eat one if I offered it to you?” she asked.

Clark closed his eyes in a wince and shook his head. “No, Lois. The great thing about me is that I’ll never eat your cookies.”

“Hmmmm,” she said, contemplating his response. “I like that in a friend.”

“So, do you want me to find you some cookies?”

Lois shook her head. “No, I have something more awkward to ask of you.”

Clark waited as she sat back down on the bed, unhooked her sling, and turned her back towards him.

“Could you…” She turned back and faced him; she seemed slightly flushed. “— sit and keep me company a while. While I’m tired, I don’t think I could sleep. I’m too wound up by all that’s happened today.”

He exhaled. For a moment there, he had thought she was going to ask him to unhook her bra. “Sure.” He folded down her sheets so she could climb easily into bed and retrieved a chair from the dining room, so he wouldn’t be forced to sit next to her on the bed. The more space between them the better.

For now.

Lois was lying on that uncomfortable hospital ER bed and arguing with Clark about why he hadn’t come to her sooner.

“You’re my partner, dammit, that makes you family,” she explained to him, leaning her face against their hands. His felt warm in this overly cool room. She wished that he would hold more of her than just her hands. “I’m thinking seriously about writing a piece about the lack of humanity in this place. Do you know that they cut off my jacket and shirt without even a by-your-leave from me?”

The ER staff needed to get to her wounded arm, so like a seal caught in netting, they came in with scissors, and suddenly she was lying on the table in just her bra. Her shirt and jacket placed in an evidence bag for the police.

Thankfully, Clark hadn’t witnessed that. She liked Clark, really she did, but she didn’t want to be uncovered in front of him any more than… well, actually, less than she had wanted to be exposed to those doctors and nurses.

“It would have been nice for a little warning before my entire chest was shown to everyone in the room,” she said with an annoyed shake of her head.

“Don’t think about it,” he murmured, moving his finger down her cheek.

It was a simple caress, but she could feel it traveling through her like a sip of hot chocolate during a cold morning stakeout.

“I don’t know how long I have before they discover I’m not approved to be back here with you,” he whispered, leaning forward. He was almost close enough to kiss. Why wasn’t Clark kissing her? Oh, God, she wanted him to kiss her, lie down on this hard bed, hold her in his arms, and kiss her. She wouldn’t need pain killers then.

“Screw ‘em,” Lois said, not wanting Clark to know how much she wanted him.

“I’d rather not anger the people who will fix your arm and make you better,” Clark admitted.

“When you put it that way…” Lois said with a slight chuckle. It was a nervous chuckle, because she was scared, but she didn’t want Clark to know how scared she really was. She hated hospitals. She hated the smell. She hated that it was cold. She hated that nobody talked to her without her asking questions; they just came in and did stuff to her. She hated the poking, the prodding, and the needles. She hated the need to depend on somebody else. She didn’t want to go into surgery. She didn’t want to be put under. Wasn’t that what they did to animals to kill them? She took a deep breath. “If something goes wrong…”

She could see panic cross his face and he quickly interrupted to reassure her, “Lois, this is a simple surgery; go in, remove all debris, clean the wound, put in some tubes for drainage. A half-hour, tops. Nothing to worry about.”

Lois stared at him. That was exactly what the doctor had told her. “How did you…?”

Clark shrugged. “Newspaper man. I ask a lot of questions.”

Okay, that made sense. She asked lots of questions too. “Still, I want you to tell him something for me.”

“Who?”

She shot him an ‘you’re kidding me, right?’ expression.

Clark smiled sheepishly. “Right. Him.”

Lois hated to send Superman a message through Clark, especially the way she was feeling about Clark at the moment, but Superman couldn’t be here for her like Clark could, and if something were to happen to her, Superman deserved to know the truth. “Tell him that I don’t blame him…”

“He knows that, Lois,” Clark reassured her, interjecting his thoughts while she was speaking again.

Lois glowered at him and said, “Stop interrupting me, Chuck.”

Clark gave her his apologetic smile, which always turned her insides to mush. “Sorry.”

Lois needed to finish this message to Superman, so she could kiss Clark. Yes, it was probably wrong to be telling one man to give a message of love to a second man when all she wanted to do was kiss the first man, but… well, what else were her options? It wasn’t like Superman was breaking in here to kiss her. “Tell him that, no matter what, I will love him, and that I finally understand now what he meant by ‘loving me was a job he wasn’t able to do’…” she said softly, her voice rough as her emotions got the better of her.

“Oh, Lois, no. Don’t think that. That’s not what he meant,” Clark pleaded, a tear dripping down his cheek, as he leaned forward. She didn’t know how Clark knew what Superman meant, except for that bond that the two men shared. “Of course, I love you. I love you more than anything. I love you with all of my heart.”

She stared at him, her jaw hanging open. Clark loved her? Clark loved her more than anything? Clark loved her with all his heart? She had known that Clark liked her, was kind of crushing on her, but love… and serious love at that. No, no, no. She couldn’t handle that.

Clark gulped and blushed. “He loves you, Lois. He… him.”

Lois blinked her eyes and shook her head. She knew that Clark wasn’t speaking for Superman. He was speaking for himself, but she thought she’d allow him an out to save face. No, why would she do that? She and Clark needed to clear the air now. “My drugs must have just kicked in because for a second there, it sounded just like you were…”

“You know, Lois, I do a great impersonation,” Clark jumped in. “You should really hear it.”

WHAT?

“No, Chuck,” she said, leaning back from him and removing her hand from his. Oh, no, Clark couldn’t do an impersonation of Superman. He couldn’t combine a man whose body she already craved with the voice of Superman. She wouldn’t be able to resist that! “No! I don’t think that would be a good idea.”

“Close your eyes, Lois,” he suggested.

Oh, God! Clark was going to speak to her and pretend he was Superman? No! “That’s a really bad idea, Clark,” she said, and even she could hear her heartrate increase on the monitors beside her. What would Clark think was going on with her? Would he think that she was mad, nervous, anxious, scared, or excited by his proposition? Oh, God! She was excited, too excited, by the prospect of hearing his impersonation of the man she loved but knew she couldn’t have. She knew it wouldn’t be anything like the real thing, but her body was already tingling from anticipation.

“Please. It’ll be just like he’s here in the room with you,” Clark murmured.

“I already know I’m going to regret this,” she said. She stared at Clark for another few seconds, reminding herself that it would only be him talking to her. Then she closed her eyes.

“Now, keep them closed, Lois, no matter what,” he explained.

Lois felt a breeze blow past her, which was strange. She was in the hospital, nowhere near an open window. How could she feel a breeze? Clark was being quiet, almost too quiet for nervous energy Clark. She felt a hand touch her face and tuck a lock of her hair behind her ear, just like Superman always did with her. She gasped. Clark had only been kidding her about his impersonation. This wasn’t Clark. It was really Superman, here, in the room with her.

“You’re here,” she breathed more than spoke.

Superman rested his cheek against hers, and whispered into her ear, “I’ll always love you, Lois.” He spoke the words she knew were true, that she had longed for him to say to her, yet he had never admitted. Was it really him? Or was it Clark doing an impersonation, so that he could tell her that he loved her? If she opened her eyes, she would either get her heart’s desire or be crushed by Clark’s trick. No, better to keep her eyes closed and believe. Would she really be crushed if it turned out that Clark was her Superman?

Superman lightly danced a kiss across her lips and whispered, “Goodbye.”

“No!” she called out to him. “Don’t go!” Couldn’t he kiss her more than that? Couldn’t he hold her in his arms, and sweep her off her feet, like he had in that other dream? The one where Lex Luthor pulled her away.

There was a knock on the accordion door of this make-shift room and Superman disappeared in another breeze.

“No! Tell Jimmy to go away, Clark. Bring Superman back,” she murmured. She felt like she had been brought to the brink of pleasure, only to be tossed onto the rocks. Her body ached for him. “Have him kiss me until there is no tomorrow. Please, I need him.”

“I’ve got to go,” Clark said to her. “The police want to talk to you.”

Lois opened her eyes and stared into Clark’s eyes with a hopefulness that she hadn’t felt in long time. Had it been Clark all along? Had he made her body ache like that, not Superman? “He was here, wasn’t he? It was really him,” she whispered excitedly.

It didn’t really matter anymore, if it were Superman or if it were Clark. She just wanted to be kissed again. Loved, like she was the center of someone’s universe and looking at Clark, she knew he could kiss her like that. He could love her like Superman loved her. He wasn’t a perfect fit for her, but if she couldn’t have Superman, Clark was the next best thing, right?

Clark nodded and kissed her forehead. “I’ll be here for you when you get out of surgery, Lois.” He went to stand up, but she clasped his hand in hers, holding him close, not wanting him to go. Even if he wasn’t the true Superman, he could be her Superman.

“He kissed me.” She sighed and leaned back on the bed, bringing Clark’s hand to her face.

“I was here, Lois,” Clark reminded her, almost sounding annoyed.

“You know, Chuck, that’s the first time I’ve ever seen you two together,” she said with a slight giggle as she teased him. “And I missed it, because my eyes were closed.”

Her giggles continued, because she knew. Even if she couldn’t have Superman, she could have Clark. Clark loved her and treasured her and best of all, Clark would kiss her any damn well time she wanted him to. Clark’s brow furrowed by this reaction. She heard the door behind him open, but she wouldn’t let go of his hand.

“Oh, Clark, I feel so loopy. Do you think it was the kiss?” She batted her eyelashes at him, daring him to tell her that he was the man who kissed her, daring him to admit to her that he, Clark Kent, had been her Superman.

“No, Lane, it’s the drugs,” Inspector Henderson said from behind Clark. “Some bedside manner you got there, doc.”

Lois sat up and stared at the police inspector. Henderson hadn’t seen Superman. Henderson had only seen Clark. He had seen Clark kiss her. Clark was her Superman. “He isn’t a doctor. This is my partner, Clark Kent.” She lowered her voice to a conspiratorial hiss, “He snuck in here to see me. Clark, haven’t you met Inspector Henderson before?” She smacked Clark’s arm with the back of her hand. “He’s MPD’s best, but don’t let him know it.” She realized that Henderson could hear her. Maybe he was right, maybe she was acting half-baked from the pain meds.

Clark turned and shook Henderson’s hand. “A pleasure.”

“Definitely drugs. I’m not going to get a clear statement out of you, am I, Lane?”

Lois laughed as excitement filled her. Clark had kissed her. Clark was her Superman. She wondered if he flew.

Lois’s eyes opened in a gasp. Her whole body tingled. Okay, not her whole body. Her whole body, minus her right arm, tingled, and it wasn’t tingling for Superman. It was more than tingling, it was buzzing, and it was buzzing for Clark. She could feel her heart racing as she remembered how it felt when Clark told her that he loved her. He hadn’t really told her he loved her. He had only done so in her dream.

She blinked her eyes, willing them to focus, and saw Clark still sitting on that dining room chair. He had fallen asleep. His head drooped off down to his chest. He must have stayed in the room and watched her after she had fallen asleep. Normally, she might have considered that creepy, but with Clark it was sweet. After that night they had spent together in his bed earlier in the week, all she wanted was for him crawl into her bed and hold her.

And kiss her.

Lois closed her eyes and thought again of how it felt to kiss Clark as he pretended to be Superman for her. Her body had reacted to him as if he were Superman. Her body had wanted him. Her rational self was being irrational, she knew that. She loved Superman. He was the only man for her, but she couldn’t have Superman the way she wanted him. She could have Clark. Maybe she only wanted him, because when he touched her… Lois moaned. She hadn’t meant to moan, but she did. She glanced over at Clark, wondering if he had heard her and woken up.

“Lois,” he whispered, but other than that didn’t move.

She quickly closed her eyes and pretended that she was asleep. After she waited a few breathless minutes, Lois cracked her eyes open again. Clark still hadn’t moved. He was still asleep. He had said her name in his sleep. Clark was thinking about her in his dreams? Clark was dreaming about her? How sexy was that?

Okay, it might mean nothing. She told herself. He was in her dreams, and it meant nothing, right? It just meant that she was horny for a man, a super man, who wouldn’t give her the time of day, so she was fantasizing about one who would. Fantasizing that Clark was impersonating Superman so as to be able to kiss her. How crazy was that?

Clark’s dream might not even be a sexy dream. Maybe he was dreaming about her getting shot. Oh, God! She hoped he wasn’t dreaming about that! She wanted to reach out and touch him, but she was lying on her left arm, since lying on her right was out. That meant that her right arm was on top. She would have to push herself up to a sitting position. Anyway, if she touched him, and he woke up…

She gulped. No, that would be bad, very bad. She currently had no self-control for that scenario. Luckily, she had been shot, so anything athletic would be out of the question. What was she thinking? She closed her eyes and tried to fall back asleep. A few minutes later, she went back to watching Clark.

Lois wished she could do something to make Clark look more comfortable: take off his glasses, loosen his tie, something. She would do anything to be comfortable. Why had she chickened out when asking him to unfasten her bra? She wasn’t going to ask him to actually take it off her. She would have been able to handle that aspect of the procedure by herself, wouldn’t she? It was the unknowing that had made her change her mind. She didn’t know if she would be able to get the t-shirt off of her hurt arm by herself, and there was no way in hell she would have asked Clark to help her take off her shirt. Uh-uh. No way. Not in a million… well, a million seconds, at least.

She decided to try something. It probably wouldn’t work. She bit her bottom lip as she contemplated the risks of this maneuver. She scooted back in the bed, so Clark would have enough room to lie down if he wanted. She took a deep breath and slowly exhaled it, then she closed her eyes and pretended that she was asleep. She thought again of the kiss they shared on the bed. The real kiss. Of how his hair had felt under her fingertips. Of how her legs had opened to allow him to move closer to her. Her skirt had done a terrific job of not letting him past her knees though. Of how Clark had leaned towards her…

Lois moaned. This time it was just a fraction of decibel louder than last time. She cracked her eyes in time to see Clark shift his position in his sleep, as if reacting to her moan. She waited another minute and moaned again. This time, she heard a similar moan escape his lips. Well, at least, she had given Clark a happy dream as opposed to a Lois-got-shot dream.

She waited another minute and then half-whispered, half-moaned his name. “Clark…”

“Mmmmm,” he responded, and she watched as he shifted his position in the chair again. She loved playing him like her own little marionette.

“Clark,” she moaned his name again. “Lie down,” she whispered, then closed her eyes again to feign sleep. She peeked in time to see him stretch his arms above his head. Oh, crap! She had woken him up. Lois tried to make her breathing as regular as possible.

She felt the mattress dip under his weight and chanced another glimpse. Clark hadn’t laid down next to her, instead he stretched his hands out on the bed and then rested his head on his hands. His butt was still firmly planted in the dining room chair. Oh, well, it was a small victory at least.

Lois watched Clark for a minute to see if he would move or wake up, and when he did neither, she moved a little closer to him. She curled her body slightly around his head and reached out with her left hand. When she met his, she let it softly fall next to it, so that their pinkies were touching. Anymore and she was sure he would wake.

Her eyes grew heavy as she stared at his lips. She had never realized how handsome Clark’s lips were until tonight. Sure, she had thought about his arms, his hands, that chest, even his smile, but never his lips. Her eyes closed as she allowed herself to dream of all the possibilities those lips could fulfill.

***End of Part 33***

Part 34

Comments ?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/27/14 01:36 PM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.