Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87128 06/05/12 05:49 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just a bit of unbeta'd "what if?" musing. Parenting teens is never easy, and neither is being one.

Feedback goes here!

This *is* my happily ever after.
#87129 06/05/12 06:31 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yikes! Is that what I have to look forward to? At least my kids can't fly! (she adds hopefully.)

Home*World* Security sounds like a scarey bunch of guys. eek That means that Clark had to give up his secret identity at some point to the government, and reveal Lois as his wife and that he has kids (even bratty, self-centered ones - oh, right, teenagers!). I don't know what is scarier the thought that they could have shot Kryptonite at L&C's son (even by mistake) or that the government has K or that they expect another NK invasion at some point. Why do I think that Jorden is going to be doing a LOT of walking from now on.

Hmmmm. Mentioning that the government has a K weapon in case of a NK invasion might have been a good thing to mention to said son upon him developing his flying ability. Does this mean that Superman has to issue a flight plan when he travels internationally (or does he just slow down and wave at the Satilite cameras so they can recognize his uniform)? What if the NK's came to Earth in uniforms similar to Superman's? wave

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#87130 06/05/12 07:06 PM
Kerth
Kerth
clap Great story! Loved this line here-
I was able to promptly reassure our friends to the north that they had nothing more serious to worry about than a pouting youngster.”
evil (My parents were lucky I didn't have superpowers- I was quite the holy terror. It's bad enough that my true calling in life is to be an evil genius.)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#87131 06/05/12 11:56 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was a reality check.

A very scary one.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#87132 06/06/12 08:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My butt is getting cold.
Oooh! This should be fun!

It’s not like Lois Lane is going anywhere, and she’ll only get madder the longer I stay away.
Oooh! What did Clark do?

If I’d just remembered to call or text her by midnight, everything would have been fine. I would have, too, if I’d remembered. I just forgot, plain and simple. Stupid.
Hmmm...Not Clark...his son? His daughter?

I should be able to come and go as I please, right? She’s not the boss of me—not any more.
Yup, definitely Clark's son! This should be fun!

“What are you going to do, Mom? Ground me? Take away my car keys? I’m not a kid anymore. I’m eighteen—an adult. How are you going to ground a man who can fly?!”
Oooh, not good, kiddo. This is *Lois* you're talking to!

“Jordan Elijah Kent, you get your adult butt back here this minute!”
clap

They both seem calm, which is a pleasant surprise.
clap

What a fun little story! I really did enjoy it. Something tells me that Jordan might slip up again in the future...after all, it sounds like he's inherited some of that patented Lane headstrongness. wink

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#87133 06/06/12 12:39 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
A delightful (to borrow Patrick's word) vignette.

My first thought when I started reading it was that the narrator was Clark, and we caught him after his primal scream upon having witnessed Lois agreeing to marry Lex. Then I thought it was Clark post-S4. But soon thereafter I realized that this was a next-gen story.

I can understand the government wanting to keep an eye on all Kryptonians after the invasion, but I wonder whether that makes Clark (and now Jor-El Jr., so to speak -- I love the subtle way L&C named him in tribute to Clark's biological father.) feel just a bit under the microscope. I know I wouldn't want to have to live like that. But Clark seems not only to understand the reasoning, but also to have come to terms with it.

I wonder how they track his movement? Does he have to wear a special device that transmits his location and lets the government know that that particular flying humanoid is one of the good guys? I would love to read the story of how Tom (or, possibly, his predecessor) first approached Clark and what Clark's initial reaction was.

Your vignette took less time to read than it has taken me to think about it -- that, in my mind, is a mark of an excellent short story. thumbsup

Joy,
Lynn

#87134 06/06/12 01:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn - Maybe Tom is part of the Men In Black? wink

Also, I *so* didn't get the subtle reference to Jor-El! wallbash

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#87135 06/06/12 02:13 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
I was thinking that too. laugh

You're not alone, there, DC. blush

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#87136 06/06/12 02:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
HG: What a cute story! And I missed Jor-El too. What a great reference. Doesn't look like it needs any beta to me!
r/
Artemis
P.S. We saw the new MIB 3 movie and it is really cute!

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#87137 06/06/12 02:28 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Feedback! Yay!

This story got its start when my oldest (a girl, in my case) turned 18 and I realized that, except for the pursestrings, I no longer had any real power (as opposed to influence) over her. A few years ago a group of high school students ran away from my town. The police tracked them down in another state and sent all the 17-year-olds back home to their parents. But one of the students was 18, and the police let him stay. He was an adult, so he could move away from home if they wanted to--nothing Mom and Dad could do about it.

Virginia--Yep, Clark has a bad habit of putting off important conversations a little too long. wink As for how the government know it's him, I like Lynn's transponder idea. I think it's time to issue one to Jordan as well.

Mouse--Scared straight for the superpowered is exactly the idea. I don't think Tom would actually do as much as he's implying to Jordan that he might. But he doesn't want any more late night calls from Canada either. goofy

Morgana--Yes, it's scary stuff, but that's the world that Jordan lives in. After the NK invasion, any government worth its salt has to have contingency plans for a superpowered threat. Having their movements tracked is the price that Clark and Jordan have to pay for the fact that humans can't just assume that all Kryptonians are friendly.

DC--What delightfully detailed feedback. You reacted just the way that I hoped you would, and you saw the humor in the story. That makes me happy. smile

Lynn--I'm so glad you enjoyed the story, and that it stayed with you. That's the fun part about first person narrative--you can play with the readers' minds a little and make them have to figure things out for themselves. devil Yeah, I'll bet that was an interesting conversation between Tom (or his predecessor) and Clark. It probably started with Tom letting Clark Kent know that the government knew who Superman was and how and why.

Thank, you, Artemis! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#87138 06/07/12 04:16 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
I hadn't thought about that, but it would fit.

But you thought of MiB, so I guess we're even. wink

Joy,
Lynn

#87139 06/07/12 12:19 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Like this - it's pretty much canon in the comics that governments, Batman, etc. have contingency plans to take out Superman and other Kryptonians if necessary, and of course part of that would be keeping tabs on them.

Re Homeworld Security - we have this organization as canon in Stargate SG-1 and mentioned in at least one episode of Dr. Who. MIB might be involved too, of course, wonder what other agencies might have fingers in the pie?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#87140 06/07/12 12:38 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I was just remembering...Something like this was done by DC in "Superman: Secret Identity."

Spoiler alert

The story followed the life of an individual in the "real" world who was named after the comic book character Clark Kent. Like his namesake, he develops superpowers. The story follows him from the blossoming of his powers in his teen years until he is an old man. Part of the story involves him being kept track of by the government. I highly recommend the story.

Joy,
Lynn

#87141 06/07/12 03:53 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm glad you like it, Marcus. I don't follow the comics, but it just makes sense to me.

#87142 06/10/12 03:03 AM
Kerth
Kerth
What a wonderful story, Happy.

You covered so much - the emotions of the son, the strength of the family, a viable explanation for how he'd been tracked, a dash of humour, and a glimpse of next generation life - in just a few words.

Great job!

Corrina.

#87143 06/10/12 06:24 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Corrina. I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile

#87144 06/10/12 06:55 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Michelle!
Great to see a new story up from you smile1

Reality Check
No idea about the title…

My butt is getting cold.
Hmm…Clark? Doesn’t sound like him.

It’s probably past sunrise in Metropolis.
Junior Clark?

It’s not like Lois Lane is going anywhere, and she’ll only get madder the longer I stay away.
No. Must be grown-up Clark, since he’s calling her Lois.

I was a real jerk, and I know it.
Oh dear. What did he do this time? Or is that during the aftermath of Contact? Which wasn’t in August, so…

It started with an honest mistake. I hadn’t meant to get home so late.
Hmm…That really could be Clark Junior. Or Mini-Lois for that matter.

Then, when I opened the front door and she looked up at me with that particular glare that means ‘You are in deep doo-doo, Mister!’ something snapped.
Oh boy. Also, boy. Not girl. Oh, that could have been fun goofy

I’m an adult.
So, sixteen?

I should be able to come and go as I please, right? She’s not the boss of me—not any more. Stupid.
Actually eighteen?

Ground me?
Kryptonite.

Take away my car keys?
Well, he doesn’t really need a car.

How are you going to ground a man who can fly?!”
/points to green rocks/

“Jordan Elijah Kent, you get your adult butt back here this minute!”
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#87145 06/10/12 03:01 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Michael! wave

I love your wonderfully detailed feedback. I don't have further plans for Jordan, but you never know. I hope the muse will deliver a few more one-shots--they're a lot of fun to write. My two potential longer stories are both stubbornly refusing to gel.

#87146 06/15/12 08:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You're very welcome smile Looking forward to shorts or longs wink

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard