Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#86873 05/25/12 04:17 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks again to Dandello for giving me leave to base a story on the same general concept as The Bakery.

The general idea of The Pub is that it is a meeting place for versions of Lois or Clark who exist in timelines where their counterpart is missing. This provides an opportunity to meet a potential soul mate.

This story is a time-only shift in a single timeline, but The Pub is really intended for cross-timeline matchmaking.

Feedback here please.

#86874 05/25/12 04:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet!

Love your stories! Looking forward to reading this one tomorrow. The concept sounds very interesting. wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#86875 05/25/12 04:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was great! I really loved the concept. It did remind me of the Bakery but it was different too. Very creative idea!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#86876 05/25/12 05:17 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Clancy glanced down at a control screen in front of him.
Oooh...

“It’s show time.”
Hmmm...

With a heavy sigh, Clark turned and started back. “We don’t want to get separated,” he called to his friend. “It’s past curfew now. If we get picked up…”
Sounds like the universe in V for Vendetta.

“You never know,” Paul replied, as he continued to poke around and look through the debris. “I’ve heard stories of cans of food and sometimes even some stuff of real value that people find buried in places like this.”
Sooo...Nightfall happened but some people survived?

“…said they were in the area. Two males. Probably kids looking for trouble.” Then Clark heard another voice respond. “They found it.”
Not good.

They were watching the street for anyone trying to get across.
Whoopsie!

“They won’t hit me and they won’t catch me. Besides, I don’t have any ties to Metropolis. If they catch you, then your family and all their friends will attract the attention of the Patrol. I can’t let that happen.”
Even in this messed up universe, Clark is still Clark.

He heard two more shots and felt both hit him right in the center of the back of his head. Well, no harm done.
razz

Tonight was a right-of-passage night. Yesterday she’d been a student and tomorrow she’d be the newest member of the Daily Planet’s news team.
Oooh!

During the day, the city was grey and hard. At night, the neon transformed the featureless grey walls into color-filled mosaics.
I really love the imagery here.

What amazed her was that the second version of ‘LL’ was almost exactly the way she sometimes wrote her initials. And that shade of purple was her favorite color.
Excellent!

“I’m sorry, miss,” he said, somewhat defensively. “But it’s a rule in Many Worlds that we never reveal that until your second time here. I hope you enjoy our little establishment enough to grace us with another visit. I promise that if you don’t know by then, I’ll tell you who they are myself.”
clap

“I guess I can live with that,” Lois said with a resigned shrug.
Not quite our Mad Dog Lane yet, huh?

Okay, he was very good looking.
Understatement of the century. laugh

“You’re kidding. It’s not the LL is it?”
Let me guess. He's head of the Empire? wink

“So you don’t think I’m attractive?” Lois asked as she took a bite from her sandwich.

Clark’s eyes went wide. “What? No. You’re very…” he stuttered out, clearly flustered. “Why would you think that?” he finally forced out.

“I thought that when a guy met a pretty girl in a bar, one of his goals was to encourage her to drink too much.”
clap

It got him here 35 years late, but he got here.
Ah, I was wondering about that.

As the device came to the region that had been the catalyst for this enterprise, both Ben and Clancy looked carefully to discover the results of their effort.
clap

What a fun little story! Very enjoyable!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#86877 05/25/12 05:52 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Very creative. Reminds me of several pub/bar-as-nexus tales I've read (Spider Robinson comes to mind). I wonder how this Lois reacted to Clark's "special talents" when she finally found out about them? And how will they take down Lex?

You do know, I hope, that this means that you now must design and execute a series of stories along this line, and not just with the principals. You can combine two of the secondaries (Dan and Lucy, Cat and a younger Perry, an alternate single Jonathan and an alternate single Martha - or maybe this is how they first met!) if you want. Or you could come up with your own combinations.

Ooh! You could even bring a good Lex and a not-so-good Lois together and have him reform her! A challenge to pull off from both character standpoints, I know, but I'd bet you could do it!

I really enjoyed this tale, Bob. And I really want to read more! So when's the next episode from Many Worlds coming to a message board near us?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#86878 05/25/12 07:42 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What an interesting read. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. I didn't catch the 'many worlds' meaning until Clark spelled it out for me (although I have seen enough previews of Smallville to recognize "the Blur" reference). At first, I thought "Many Worlds" meant that literally, and Clark was going to run into other members of the JL hiding out in the dark universe, or other peoples from other planets, or even people from New Krypton. You had me guessing all the way.

At first I thought that this Clark might be Clark and Lois' son in a world where Lois and Clark (or Lois and Superman) hooked up before Nightfall and where Superman was lost somehow unable to stop Nightfall. Then I thought the twist would be and Paul was LnC's son (maybe I've read too many Tank stories, expecting that kind of twist). But when you said that Clark was Clark Kent, I was like HUH? He was acting more like a teenager / 20 year old than someone twice that age. Then I was wondering if CK had lost his memory all those years ago and still didn't know that he had powers, but you soon clarified that he did. Then I got all confused because Clark said he wasn't from Metropolis like Paul was. I started wondering if Paul was the Paul from Lois' college days and by that point I was clap Thank you for taking me down your rabbit hole. I didn't know where I was going most of the time, but I liked where I ended up.

PS: Has it really been a year?! Nah! I guess it hasn't felt that long, because I keep reading your stories over on the Archives. I hope this means you've finally torn down that wall. dance Welcome back!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#86879 05/25/12 09:14 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Enjoyed this a lot - it's an idea that's been used a good few times, of course, but that's because it works. Of course your Clark is going to face all sorts of problems, not having Jonathan and Martha behind him or any track record of education etc. in Lois's world. I'd be interested to see how they handle that.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#86880 05/26/12 03:03 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
A fantastic story! You might not write much, Bob, but what you do write is Kerth-quality.

One minor correction: The actress who played Lois Lane was Noel Neill, not Nicole.

In addition to reminding me of The Bakery, The Pub also reminded me of a cross between the Wood between the Worlds from C.S. Lewis' "The Magician's Nephew" and the bar we see in the final episode of "Quantum Leap." I like your take on the theme.

Well done!

Joy,
Lynn

#86881 05/26/12 04:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm. In that Pub are the Time Travelers told to pay strictly with cash?

Just curious.

Seriously, dude, you have to finish this story. After all, LnC going after Luther in the 80'S? Talk about different!

Anyhow this is a great story and would love to see much more. dance

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#86882 05/26/12 04:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story Bob. I'm with the others in saying you need to continue the story and get these two to interact in Lois' timeline. Yes, it definitely reminded me of The Bakery.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#86883 05/27/12 03:15 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I enjoyed this very much. Thank you for sharing. I do agree with the others that there is scope for further stories in this premise if you're up for it.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#86884 05/27/12 05:55 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Really wonderful and creative story! I loved it- though I do wish to know what becomes of them! Regardless, it was very clever! Good job!
wave

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#86885 05/27/12 05:58 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
What a fun concept! I always love the idea of alternative time lines and how they might converge. Great story smile1

Joan

#86886 05/27/12 09:07 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you all so much. It is nice to get “back in the saddle” and writing again.

Laurach:
Thank you. When I was fleshing out the idea, I wanted to make it as different as the Bakery as I could within the idea of this being an inter-dimensional nexus. When I sent this to HappyGirl for first beta, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that one of her first comments was, “This feels like the Bakery.” It was always my intent to attribute the source of the idea, but I was surprised nonetheless.

Deadly Chakram:
So many comments!!! smile
Sounds like the universe in V for Vendetta.
The government is certainly along those lines. I visualize Clark’s world as being more physically broken that what we saw in V for Vendetta. BTW: I love that movie!

Even in this messed up universe, Clark is still Clark.
Of course. I have ideas for “Dark World” stories where I match a dark Lois with a dark Clark, but I have never written any of those – at least not yet. If I were to revisit the Pub, the most likely pairing would be along those lines.

I really love the imagery here.
Thank you! I have a bad habbit of not being descriptive enough of the environments. I see them in my mind, but I forget that the reader can’t see that unless I describe it.

Not quite our Mad Dog Lane yet, huh?
No. This is a Lois that has been through the same set of knocks growing up, but is still basically a wide-eyed kid. With Clark’s help, her new timeline may never see the Mad Dog Lane that we all know.

So there's like only 47 people left in America now?
smile

<loses battle, pukes all over screen>
smile smile

It's like six degrees of separation!
I should have had Kevin Bacon walk into the Pub.

What a fun little story! Very enjoyable!
Thank you so much.

Hi, Terry.
I’ve never read Spider Robinson. (I guess I have a homework assignment.)

I love all of your ideas for alternates. I am certainly open to these ideas, and several sound like they could be a lot of fun. The Lois/Lex idea sounds fascinating. Or a darkworld variant where a dark Lois pairs with and then corrupts a good Lex. Being basically a Lois/Clark purest, these would be a challenge, but I can see them. The only pairing that I will never write is Lois and Scardino. Daniel will NEVER get through the door of my Pub!

All I need is a delivery from that oh-so-wayward muse of mine.

VirginiaR
Thank you for sharing your thought process trying to figure out Clark’s universe. I had no idea that there would be so many potentials. There are several good stories in there.

I thought how sad that her life took such a turn for the worst (okay, we'll just call it hell) because Clark never showed up. That's just plain
Well, that was the idea. All because of a random cosmic ray that damaged his spaceship’s guidance system.

Were they from the same universe, only different times?
Yes. In fact, that is part of the many pages of back-story that didn’t fit into the storyline. Clancy’s goal is to make things better. However, moving people between timelines can easily make things worse. This was the trial run for the Pub. The idea was that for the first test, the change would be a time-only shift within a single timeline. He deliberately chose one that was already so badly damaged that the risk of making things worse was very low. Assuming this went well, the Pub would then open for cross-timeline matching.

PS: Has it really been a year?! Nah! I guess it hasn't felt that long, because I keep reading your stories over on the Archives. I hope this means you've finally torn down that wall. Welcome back!
Thank you. I hope that the wall is down. I am working on two other projects and will be back on them this week.

Marcus:
Of course your Clark is going to face all sorts of problems, not having Jonathan and Martha behind him or any track record of education etc. in Lois's world. I'd be interested to see how they handle that.
That is what would be fun about learning the rest of this story. We would have a new-Planet-employee Lois matched with a Clark with no history and no papers. As I said above, I have no idea what that story would be now, but if I get a muse delivery, I’ll write it in a second.

I’m glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the feedback.

Lynn:
A fantastic story! You might not write much, Bob, but what you do write is Kerth-quality.
You’re too kind. Thank you. (I do still feel bad about missing the Kerth ceremony this year.)

I have read “The Magician’s nephew” and seen that episode of Quantum Leap, but to be honest the memories are vague. I remember just enough of each of them to understand your reference. I guess I have some homework. smile

Hi, Morgana.
Hmmm. In that Pub are the Time Travelers told to pay strictly with cash?
Is that a reference to the Spider Robinson collection? I really need to read that book. In any case, I can see the inherent problems with allowing credit in an interdimensional, non-time-bound nexus.

Seriously, dude, you have to finish this story. After all, LnC going after Luther in the 80'S? Talk about different!
You know, just in the course of answering feedback, I’ve gotten several ideas. I am more inclined to consider a sequel than I was just an hour ago when I started answering the feedback.

Artemis:
Thanks for the note. As I have said, the more I’ve read the feedback, the more I’m inclined to try to consider the sequel. I wish I could promise, but I am up from “I don’t think so” to “we’ll see” or possibly even “I need to get some notes down.”

MrsMosley:
Thank you for the feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

On a side note, I think I’ve mentioned this before, but your Fuel was one of the very first LnC fanfic stories I read when I first came here. (Insert break here while Bob jumps over to the archive and re-reads “Fuel”) I love it as much today, as when I first encountered it. You truly touched the magic with that story.

Mouserocks:
I’m so happy that it worked for you. As I’ve said above, I didn’t plan a follow-on but right now I’m less sure of that. smile

Joan:
During this past year I have discovered that I have lost my enthusiasm for simple episode-based stories. Whatever I do manage to produce in the next year or so will almost certainly be primarily alt-verse with – as I did here – only a loose tie-in to any existing episodes.

Finally, I want to thank you all again for the kind words and wonderful feedback. This really does help keep me motivated to stay in pursuit of my muse.

Bob

#86887 05/27/12 05:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“I know,” Clancy replied tiredly. After another moment he seemed to gather his strength. “We might as well see how they do.”

Clancy pressed a button that opened a control panel. The screen showed a field of lines, some bright and others less so. Clancy adjusted a control and the lines shifted to a region where most of the lines were very bright. As the device came to the region that had been the catalyst for this enterprise, both Ben and Clancy looked carefully to discover the results of their effort.
I like how you leave the ending purposefully vague. We, of course, want to believe that things are going to be much better in that timeline due to Clark going back with Lois... but you've neatly left us wondering, just a bit.

Now I'm going to think about that all night long.

#86888 05/28/12 01:43 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
On a side note, I think I’ve mentioned this before, but your Fuel was one of the very first LnC fanfic stories I read when I first came here. (Insert break here while Bob jumps over to the archive and re-reads “Fuel”) I love it as much today, as when I first encountered it. You truly touched the magic with that story.
What a lovely compliment! Thank you, Bob. blush

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#86889 05/28/12 03:53 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, IoLantheAlias
I like how you leave the ending purposefully vague. We, of course, want to believe that things are going to be much better in that timeline due to Clark going back with Lois... but you've neatly left us wondering, just a bit.

Now I'm going to think about that all night long.
Thank you. smile Of course, given who I am and what I write, the odds that things worked out are fairly high. smile1

MrsMosley:
What a lovely compliment! Thank you, Bob.
You are very welcome. While I was looking at your stories in the Archive, I went ahead and converted them all to epub. If you have an ereader that can handle epub, here they are. MrsMosley epub

Bob

#86890 05/28/12 04:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for converting all of Mrs Mosley's stories! I quickly downloaded them all.

#86891 06/01/12 02:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I popped into the boards this evening to see if there was anything new and I'm so glad this gem jumped out at me! (Bob, you know I'm a fan of your work, so I guess it isn't a surprise that I clicked as soon as I saw your name in the TOC folder. smile )

This was a really enjoyable read. The prologue was deliberately confusing and it intrigued me enough to keep me reading along. The different worlds and the idea of the Pub being outside time was also creative and kept my interest. I hadn't expected that L&C would be from the same universe, separated only by time -- I just assumed they were from alternate universes -- so I really like how you went the extra step of explaining that they were a trial run for the Pub staff. And, of course, your explanation in this thread that the Pub is basically a cross-universe matchmaking service amuses me to no end. Ha!

Another great story from you, Bob. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

#86892 06/02/12 05:39 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Kathy.

The prologue was deliberately confusing and it intrigued me enough to keep me reading along.
The early versions of the prologue were much longer. As the overall story developed, I realized that the long introduction was hurting more that it helped. Each time I revisited that section, it got a little shorter. I'm glad that the final version worked.

I just assumed they were from alternate universes -- so I really like how you went the extra step of explaining that they were a trial run for the Pub staff.
When I first thought of the Pub, it was only going to be for cross-dimensional dating. Unfortunately, I could never find a version of one of those stories that worked. So in many ways, this was a trial run of the Pub for me too. Maybe next time I'll find an engaging story along those lines.

Thank you so much for the note.
Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard