Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85637 04/06/12 11:54 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thoughts? Hope you enjoyed. Again, very different style of writing for me, and subject matter, but it worked for me. Now I'd just like to see how it worked for the rest of you... smile

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#85638 04/07/12 02:14 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very raw and emotional, totally Lois Lane. This fic will probably strike a nerve for many people who read it.

I know it did for me.

Sam Lane was a bad man and because of it he missed out on watching his daughters grow up.

Fortunately Lois was able to raise above the fray and with the help of loving friends and a wonderful man bloomed into a warm and sweet woman. The woman she was supposed to be.

Thank you

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#85639 04/07/12 05:33 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It works wonderfully - and SO Lois, raw and angry but trying to get beyond it.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#85640 04/07/12 05:38 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Terrific job at explaining why Lois HATES liars so. thumbsup

Your description of how Lex was like Sam explained a lot of why Lois would be attracted to him. An older man who used, abused, and lied to her. Gee, where had she seen that before? It made more sense than her being attracted to his "power".
It was comfortable. Easy. Familiar. Normal. But not love. I would run to him when he called, he would lavish me with expensive gifts and trips and meals, and then put me down like I was merely a toy he was playing with and moved on to whatever else struck his fancy. And I turned a blind eye to it all, willing myself to believe this was normal.
Just like dear ol' dad. clap I love how she mad because he lied to spare her (or possibly his) hurt feelings and to remain in her (so-called) good graces! (Yep, Clark, that was screwed up.)

I still don't trust Clark.
Well, he has been lying to you all the time. Really, girlfriend, do you really think he came back from the dead?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy spending time with him, he's a great guy and we always have a blast- to say nothing of his kissing skills- and he's sweet and thoughtful and polite and always has my back,
Thank you, Daddy, for making me NOT trust a man like this.

He's hiding something from me, I just know it. What, I have no clue. Sometimes- a lot of times, actually- he looks guilty about it. Like he knows he's hiding something from me, lying to me, hurting me... but he refuses to do anything about it.
/Pssst. Lois, Clark's scared you won't like him in blue.

And there he is, standing there, staring at me with that look- the first-glimpse-of-me-for-the-day look. The one where he smiles like I'm the only person in the world and his dark eyes get that extra sparkle in them. The one where he takes in my form appreciatively as though for the first time. The one that says "I love you" and "I'm in awe of you" and makes those butterflies awaken in my stomach.
All that *and* morning coffee? How could she refuse?

no matter what Clark's hiding from me, and no matter how painful the fallout might be when it comes, I can't deny the feelings- even the love- that I have for him. To try and keep my distance or put a stop to it would only be lying to myself. I've done that for too long as it is by avoiding him, turning him down, running when I've gotten too scared.

I will not hurt him.

And I will not turn myself into a liar.
"See, I told you *I* don't lie! (It's right there in the Handbook!)" laugh

Terrific introspective look into Lois's feelings. This sure explains her motivation regarding much of her anger. It doesn't really explain why she didn't stab Lex through when he came back from the dead, but then again... it's hard to literally kill those figurtive father figures in ones life.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#85641 04/07/12 06:35 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
It worked for me. You could feel her pain. Very well done.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#85642 04/07/12 08:26 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Morgana:
Very raw and emotionally, totally Lois Lane. This fic will probably strike a nerve for many people who read it

I know it did for me.

Sam Lane was a bad man and because of it he missed out on watching his daughters grow up.

Fortunatly Lois was able to raise above the fray and with the help of loving friends and a wonderful man bloomed into a warm and sweet woman. The woman she was supposed to be.
Thanks. blush Sorry if this struck a bit of a nerve. It did for me too- which is why I wrote it in the first place. I cried while writing it, but it brought some much needed catharsis. Glad you thought it workedd out alright though. smile

--Mark Twain
#85643 04/07/12 08:29 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Dandello: Thank you. I'm glad you thought it fit with Lois' character (was a little worried about projecting too many of my own issues onto her).

Jackiek: Thanks. blush blush Glad you liked it.

--Mark Twain
#85644 04/07/12 08:50 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi, Virginia! Thanks for all the comments!
When you spell it out like this, Clark really should have been ashamed of himself for hiding his secret identity from Lois.
Yes. Dog house for Clark. And he doesn't even understand why... wink
Your description of how Lex was like Sam explained a lot of why Lois would be attracted to him. An older man who used, abused, and lied to her. Gee, where had she seen that before? It made more sense than her being attracted to his "power".
I didn't used to think of it that way, but when I did consider that, I think it made the whole relationship make a lot more sense. So I'm sticking with it. laugh
Because all those videos he had to return, boxes of cheese he had to pick up, and sources he had to meet that never seemed to have an information seemed so, well, such honest excuses.
Well? Why not? What else would some hack reporter be doing with his time? (I wish we had a little super graemlin. Flying around with a cape... would work perfect for these boards)
One of my very favorite lines!
Thank you. I wanted to put a little break in there.
Pssst. Lois, Clark's scared you won't like him in blue.
huh
Terrific introspective look into Lois's feelings. This sure explains her motivation regarding much of her anger.
Thanks! blush Glad you enjoyed it and were able to make sense out of my thoughts.
It doesn't really explain why she didn't stab Lex through when he came back from the dead, but then again... it's hard to literally kill those figurtive father figures in ones life.
Is it really murder if the guy was already dead? wink

/Lex pops out from around corner/: "Hello, Lois."
Lois (with baseball bat): "RETURN FROM WHENCE YE CAME!"

--Mark Twain
#85645 04/07/12 09:06 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Is it really murder if the guy was already dead?

rotflol

Double jeopardy?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#85646 04/07/12 03:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very good introspective fic and very well done.

#85647 04/07/12 07:05 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow. This was an amazingly emotional and yet insightful look into Lois's mind--not necessarily at a specific point in time, but altogether, which takes a lot more skill, I think, and you pulled it all together wonderfully.

I love the backward look at her father, seeing it from a step back so that it was almost objective, and yet so subjective because it still hurt, still influenced her. I love the way you painted why she looks for truth, why it's such a personal crusade to her. I love her thoughts on how she almost chose the wrong man over Clark. And I love how she realizes Clark can hurt her more than her father after just thinking that the closer someone is, the more she believes them and the more they can hurt her--already, she realizes how much Clark means to her.

And how illuminating to realize that she does hold back a bit of herself from Clark. Most stories focus on him holding back from her, but the truth is they were both still somewhat afraid, and I love that you brought that out here, love that she hated her father more for that lingering distrust than for what his personal faults.

And the ending is phenomenal! Love that she vows not to hurt him and that she won't turn into a liar, but also that she gives him the benefit of the doubt. It is a sad piece of introspection, and yet, layered throughout, there is a great deal of hope. Very well done and so beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

#85648 04/08/12 12:06 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Sorry if I did not post a reply earlier: this fic struck a nerve for me. It was painful (bad memories of my own father). So I nearly cried while reading it.

But your writing is wonderful: thanks for the catharsis.

Sydney

Non ! non, c’est bien plus beau lorsque c’est inutile !
(Edmond Rostand)
#85649 04/08/12 04:42 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
How interesting that Lois realizes her father made her who she is - always driven to find the truth.

This is so true, even though she tries so hard to hide it:

the closer I am to somebody, the less liable I am to see through them. I am a romantic at heart
Well, they do say women marry their fathers
How sad but true. When you haven't grown up seeing a normal relationship, you don't know what 'normal' is.

He's hiding something from me, I just know it
With her keen instincts, I was always surprised she didn't figure things out much earlier. But thinking your partner is really Superman goes beyond the realm of usual expectations.

Great job! smile
Joan

#85650 04/10/12 09:54 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Liar Liar
Let’s see… smile1

When other people were around he'd put on this false veneer- a smile, a hug, sometimes even a pat on your head or even kiss my mother's cheek.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#85651 04/20/12 12:37 AM
-
Blogger
Blogger
-
I'm just a lurker at this board and usually I don't post anything, but this story was just fantastic. Excellent job. It's like you litterally spent some time inside Lois' head. Great to read. clap

#85652 04/27/12 05:06 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Whew! *Finally* getting a break from my muse to check this one out.

A missed recital, a forgotten birthday, all those times he'd spent working late because he valued his job more than he valued spending time with his daughters.
Spot on. Speaks volumes more than his voice ever does.

Those moments where his words were lost in the echoes of his actions.
I like this.

They were nice, polite, always affectionate and never derisive.
And poor Lois got doubley slappy with the shoddy parent stick. frown

Never "Great job, honey," or "Wow! I can't believe you won the talent show!" or even a "Better luck next time, champ." I never had that dad.
thumbsup

And our entire relationship was built on a heap of lies. In fact, I'm not so sure I could even come up with one truth he'd said to me in all the, albeit, short time we'd dated.
Good point.

And I'm certain that marrying Lex Luthor couldn't have been much different from doing exactly that- except that I'm sure I'd have ended up dead or mysteriously "missing" at some point in our marriage.
And so is that one.

Not the love I am now enjoying yet still fighting.
thumbsup

Completely blind to what was right before me- the love staring me right in the face, carefully watching me from the sidelines, the truth in his expression and every small thing he did that made me smile.
Since day one to boot!

I believed the man who said he was what he wasn't over the man who laid bare his soul to me.
Ooh, I like this.

And at the last second, I finally saw sense.
Quite literally the last second. smile

When I realized about two weeks later that he still loved me- because let's be honest, it's obvious- I was angry.
Oh, I like this, and I'm not sure that I've seen this addressed all that often.

I was hurt, angry, and well, in a way, I loved him all the more for it.
Now *there's* a change in Lois' thinking! thumbsup

to say nothing of his kissing skills
clap

and I love him dearly for it all- I mean, care for him dearly. I don't think I love him just yet. I mean, maybe I do, but with what I know, I'm just not sure I'm ready to commit to that. Not just yet. Not until I know.
I really love the thought process here and the subtle distinctions.

It wouldn't be the first time I've ignored the signs, tried to move on from these things. But I can't.
One bitten, twice shy, Lois.

from Nowheresville!
And that right there shows just how angry she is. laugh

If he's not, then I don't know what to think.
Precisely. Poor Lois.

Sometimes- a lot of times, actually- he looks guilty about it. Like he knows he's hiding something from me, lying to me, hurting me... but he refuses to do anything about it
Which is so so maddening to watch!

Clark could hurt me even worse than my father.
Ouch. Which, of course, means I love the insight here.

the first-glimpse-of-me-for-the-day look
Aww! Love this!

The one where he smiles like I'm the only person in the world and his dark eyes get that extra sparkle in them. The one where he takes in my form appreciatively as though for the first time. The one that says "I love you" and "I'm in awe of you" and makes those butterflies awaken in my stomach.
<melts>

From racing to the door, I tell myself. Not from my racing heart and that utterly delicious gaze.
clap Hey Lois, if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you...

Because no matter what Clark's hiding from me, and no matter how painful the fallout might be when it comes, I can't deny the feelings- even the love- that I have for him.
Awww!

And I will not turn myself into a liar.
*Perfect* way to end this! Love it!

Great job. I love how well you've captured Lois' thoughts and translated them into such an insightful little story. Brava!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#85653 04/27/12 05:11 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
<promptly chokes on chocolate chips she is eating, feels one climb up her nose>

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard