Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Little Things TOC

Since it has been so slow on the boards lately, I thought I'd post this a little early, so it didn't get lost with the onslaught of St. Patrick Day's stories sure to post this Saturday. wink

I hope you enjoyed.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/09/14 12:10 AM. Reason: Added Link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
I liked this a lot. It's chapter 1 right???

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved this story! Just what I needed to start my day. smile Sweet and romantic, my favorite kind of story. hyper grovel

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Awww that was great! So sweet!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Columnist
Columnist
“I’d like to see that,” she mumbled, retreating to her desk.

“See what?” Clark asked, clearly confused.

“Clark Kent in love,” she replied, turning away to answer her phone, before she had a chance to shoot him a mischievous grin.
Open your eyes!!!!

Lois shrugged, still not moving from her position against his chest. “I don’t know. Anyone can do big gestures. It takes a special man to get the little things just right.”
D'aawwwwwwww!!!

Lovely as always! I was very excited to see some new material pop up this afternoon!

.talk nerdy to me.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm on my waffy cloud. /sigh Thanks for that. [Linked Image]

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I absolutely adored this story. I liked to see how all of the little things that Clark does for her everyday finally dawned on Lois what that means for Clark. Thanks for posting.

Sarah

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww this was adorable. Loved it. thanks

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
For once he was so engrossed in what he was reading that when she joined him he didn’t acknowledge her beyond a friendly smile before returning to the story.
Hmmmm.....

Couple Renews Vows Despite Alzheimer’s.
<waits for scathing Lois remark>

“Stories like this give me hope,” he explained.
Awww!

“I’m glad Superman gives you hope, Lois, but some of us need to get our good news elsewhere, even if it’s a chuckle from Cat’s Corner or following someone’s search for love in the Personals.”
Awww! So Clark!

Her smile must have been catching because Clark returned it, reminding her why she had found him so attractive in the first case.
Oooh! <smiles>

But she was dating Lex Luthor now and she worked with Clark. He was her best friend and that was too important for her to risk for some mere flirtation.
Awww. frown

She sighed. Rule number three.
<gently reminds Lois that she has broken that rule, and that Clark is not a louse like Paul and Claude.>

“Every day. Every part. Especially the corrections. I like to know if I ever make a mistake,” he replied, taking a sip of coffee. “It’s important to me.”
Love how this has a deeper meaning. He can't afford to make mistakes as a reporter...or as Superman.

“I don’t. Not in print, at least,” she amended so not to sound holier-than-thou.
Um, you're dating *Lex* Lois. <shakes head>

She wrapped her arm around his to hopefully relay to him that she still considered him her best friend.
Awww!

“For two people in the news business you are oblivious to real life, aren’t you?”
<laughs, nearly chokes on a sip of wine, decides to hold off drinking anymore until this story is over>

Lois harrumphed. “Oh, God. Not another commercial holiday. Didn’t we just suffer through one of those last month?”
whinging

Lois balled her fist and punched him in the jaw, sending him stumbling towards the vending machines.
clap

Correction: his worst day was several days earlier when Lois told him outright to give up on ever having her return his love and Clark had to let go of a part of himself. But today was in his top ten and rising quickly.
mecry

He held his lone coffee cup in his hands, feeling incomplete for not having gotten her one.
So sad and so lovely all at once.

Seeing the two Supermen together, on the back lot of Metro Brothers Studios
<snicker>

but he doubted even Luthor would have approved of Super-clone’s obsession with his girlfriend.
<snicker>

Like adding oil to water, their co-workers flowed away from her as she zeroed in on her favorite punching bag. He sighed, waiting for her wrath to fall.
Oops!

“Where in the hell have you been?” she thundered.
<wince>

What whole thing? he wondered. For once he wasn’t up to playing Mr. Nice Guy. “Who says I’m not allowed to have a bad day every once in a while?” he fired back. “You don’t have a monopoly on them, you know.”

“Clearly,” she growled and then he saw something fold inside of her as her voice softened. “Who are you? I want my Clark Kent back.”
Love this whole exchange.

“Kent!” Perry roared. “My office. Pronto!”
Oops! He's in trooooouble!

“No… uh… No, you’re not,” the Chief said, sitting down at his desk.
jawdrop <claps>

Clark took the phone out of her hand and said to the billionaire, “She’ll be busy.” Then he hung up.
<more wild clapping>

Just a little kiss to show her that his love wasn’t that of a sibling.

And that he would be repeating this kiss later on, privately.
Oooh! <hopes author has plans to let us readers in on that action>

Clark smiled. “I thought it was about time for a grand gesture.”
<happy sigh>

Ack! That was sooooo lovely! What a great, WAFFy little tale! Please, please give us a chapter 2. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile1

Laura: Thank you. sloppy

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Deadly Chakram: smile1

Let's see what's the next holiday on the calender... April 1st. Oooh. Toughie. I think I'll leave that up to Queen of Capes, she's good at those.

VirginiaR.
---
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, what a powerful, moving story. I love the little touches you weave in throughout, like Clark being hurt by Lois's casual dismissal of his comfort, like how you showed the little touches she gives him in return without even realizing it--the way she actually waits for him to finish reading before talking to him and how she takes his arm to show they're still friends.

Poor Clark. I admit I felt bad for him not being able to have a bad day--what a burden of responsibility to know that if he ever once admits to having a bad day Lois will demand to have 'her' Clark back, as if she only accepts him on good days, or Perry will take him to task. Granted, they knew something he didn't, but it's still such a shock to sit there and comprehend that he's never allowed an off-day. frown

So many powerful one-liners through here--Lois saying she'd love to see Clark in love, Clark's line about needing to know if he made mistakes, Clark's thoughts on his worst day mecry , and of course the closing line.

I think, however, that what touched me the most was Clark's speech about how if you love someone, you show it every day--beautiful, priceless, and certainly a lesson everyone could use, and so amazingly indicative of the way Clark lives his whole life. And then--I can't say enough how much I loved this--but I love how there was no blinding, startling one-second, slap-in-the-face revelation for Lois. I love how it was slow and gradual, and yet inevitable from the moment she heard his thoughts on love. She didn't have to have one final little touch to make her know he loved her; she had only to hear his thoughts and then look around at all he did for her. Amazing--beautiful!

Great story--thanks for sharing!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Anti-Kryptonite: Wow! blush Thank you for the praise. It means a lot coming from such a wonderful, descriptive writer as you. Thank you.

And in case anyone missed them, did you notice the few 'little things' that others did for Clark on his 'bad' day to show him how much they cared for him? wink Subtlety. It's my pastime.

The Little Things -- not only for your Soul Mate. wave

VirginiaR.
---
Kerth
Kerth
Whoops! Sorry! Weird half-post edit got duplicated here! Pay this no mind and read the other two posts instead! blush

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Great little story, Virginia! Also read this yesterday while stranded with broken car in the middle of the worst part of Sacramento... but it could have been worse. I could have been stranded in either Richmond or downtown Oakland- both definite possibilities considering my driving route. (Those of you with any knowledge of California will know exactly what I mean when I say "bad areas"). Anyways. I'm finally getting around to catching up on all my commenting, so here we go!
For once he was so engrossed in what he was reading that when she joined him he didn’t acknowledge her beyond a friendly smile before returning to the story.
Well, there's a first time for everything.
“Stories like this give me hope,” he explained.

“Superman gives me hope,” Lois rebutted. “This sentimental stuff is a waste of newsprint.”
Oh, Lois. We all know you're as much of a sentimental softy as the worst of us. goofy
“I’m glad Superman gives you hope, Lois, but some of us need to get our good news elsewhere, even if it’s a chuckle from Cat’s Corner or following someone’s search for love in the Personals.”
That's actually a really interesting point. Superman stories probably aren't that much of an encouragement to Clark- they likely either bring up bad memories or just in general make him uncomfortable. Sure, he probably feels some measure of pride from them, but not uplifted, really. He can't quite inspire himself. Not to mention the fact that Clark's a sentimental softy anyways and would (regardless of the alter-ego) probably prefer the anniversary announcements.
“I was just wondering if you read the entire paper – cover to cover – every article, blurb, and correction?” Lois inquired, though her mind had been nowhere near the topic.
No. Her mind was somewhere between Clark and rule number three, and most likely the breaking of said rule. laugh
“Thank you,” he said to the waitress.
Ah, Clark. Thanking the waitress for Lois' request. At least Lois' better half has some manners.
“For two people in the news business you are oblivious to real life, aren’t you?” Jimmy said with a shake of his head. At their blank expressions, he clarified, “St. Patrick’s Day.”
laugh
“Clark Kent in love,” she replied, turning away to answer her phone, before she had a chance to shoot him a mischievous grin.
Has he been too subtle? I didn't think so, but love is blind...
Only…

Lex had ordered lobster for her – not one of her favorite seafood – he had just assumed she would like it without asking. The violin music, though beautiful, made it difficult for them to converse more than a few sentences at a time. The helicopter ride had been exhilarating, but cold for February – and although Lex had offered her the use of his overcoat – there wasn’t really anything she could do to fix her hair she had spent forty-five minutes on before he had picked her up. The earrings were exquisite but not at all her style or taste. She couldn’t imagine where she would ever wear them. Maybe the next time Lex held a ball? Possibly the next Kerth Award banquet? And sapphires? She hardly ever wore blue. She didn’t even want to think of the white chocolate mousse.
Wait for it...
Clark would never have made those mistakes.
And there it is. The aha! moment. Finally. At least it's not taking her another season to realize it. laugh

By the way, that entire passage is really sweet and very well written.
Why had Clark bought her a flower? A pink flower?
Why indeed?
“I know how you feel about wearing something specifically green today, but after Wally pinched your arm earlier, I thought you wouldn’t mind this – before Ralph got any crazy ideas.” His eyes widened in trepidation. “I’m not too late, am I?”
OH. laugh
“For what? Saving Ralph’s life?” He gestured in an off-hand manner as she had earlier. “It’s nothing.”
rotflol
She had warned him then not to fall for her, but when did he ever listen?
Never. Surprisingly, super hearing doesn't seem to help out in this regard. Perhaps it's selective super-hearing?
The smile fell off Lois’s face as she quickly reviewed all the horrible, insensitive, mean, petty, and vindictive things she had ever said and done to Clark since she had met him. She couldn’t think of one positive aspect she brought to their friendship.
Aw, don't be so hard on yourself, Lois. You bring a lot to the relationship. Heck, you brought in Superman! But... I don't think you were supposed to know that yet... um, surprise?

Again, that was another great passage of writing.

--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Whoops, ran out of room.

She saw him standing there holding her coat and she exploded, grasping her coat out of his hands.
Uh-oh.
How dare he! How dare he love her! He deserved so much better than her.
clap Yay! Put him into his place! And Clark's finally got some sense about him!
He didn’t let her finish before cupping her jaw with the palm of his hand. “I’m sorry,” he whispered and covered her lips with his.

It wasn’t a long kiss.

Or a deep kiss.

Just a little kiss to show her that his love wasn’t that of a sibling.

And that he would be repeating this kiss later on, privately.
AAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!! clap Fantastic! Great story! Plenty of WAFF and just a little touch of angst- my cup of tea! And you fixed my broken heart by the end! This was perfect!

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mouserocks: Wow! A triple... cough... double FDK, post! laugh Thanks. Glad you made it home safe. Now, I state that annoying thing I say whenever anyone lives through a harrowing experience... great fodder for your next drama! smile1

VirginiaR.
---
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh dear! I believe I’m a tad late. /pulls out smartphone-sized appliance/ Good thing I’ve got a temporal displacement app on my phone.

“Really? Love conquers all?” Lois scoffed, pushing the paper back towards him. “You were engrossed in an anniversary announcement?”
/shrugs/ He probably figures that mental decline would be the only way Lois would ever consider sharing a life with him?

He was her best friend and that was too important for her to risk for some mere flirtation.

She sighed. Rule number three.
“Always lock up story notes before sleeping with your partner when you’re feeling frisky”?

“Every day. Every part. Especially the corrections. I like to know if I ever make a mistake,” he replied, taking a sip of coffee. “It’s important to me.”
To be fair, when he’s not watched, he can do it in a couple of seconds.

“Well, you’ll never see my name in the corrections box, unless the typesetter misspelled it. I don’t make mistakes.”
/cocks eyebrow/

She hated that the Superman clone made her look at the real man differently. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying and failing to block the images, the fear, and adrenaline from resurfacing.
Oh, great…

Cat sidled up to the male reporter and pinched his butt, causing him to jump. “Morning, Clark,” she purred.
goofy

“There is more to Irish people than the color green and shamrocks – and pinching people,”
Well, duh! There’s also leprechauns, druids, and pots of gold.

“Did you just agree with me that Valentine’s Day was a commercial holiday?”
laugh

Lois grinned in victory. “So, ‘love triumphs all’ Kent believes Valentine’s Day is commercial. Do go on. I’ve got to hear this.”
“Well, you see, after you did not fall for me on Valentine’s Day, I’ve now given up on the holiday.”

If you truly love someone, you tell them every day in all the little things you do.”
Problem is, Lois only notices grand gestures that float.

“Terribly sorry, Ms. Lane, two dozen Kerth worthy stories,” he corrected himself with faux dramatic embellishment.
laugh

Oh…Lois…

Would Superman see her killing the story a little thing or a big thing?
Oh…Lois…

After dessert of white chocolate mousse,
White? Umm… *white*? confused

. When she had returned home that night, her apartment had been filled with roses.
Ooooooohhhh, creepy!

At her apartment, he produced a small bag of dark chocolate shavings – actual chocolate, not that powdered stuff that came in a box – with which he made from-scratch hot chocolate, using real milk, a pot, and a stove, to warm her up.
Awwwwwwwwwwwww

I thought you wouldn’t mind this – before Ralph got any crazy ideas.” His eyes widened in trepidation. “I’m not too late, am I?”
/suddenly gets flash of Ralph ‘pinching’ very inappropriate body parts on his female colleagues/

. But it sounded as if to her that Ralph’s life meant nothing. She couldn’t resist the huge grin that spread across her face. “I couldn’t agree more.”
laugh

Lex never smiled at her like she was his entire world.
Yes. Well. Lex is a world travelled businessman and connoisseur of the female form. Clark’s just a country bumpkin with a big crush on the first female he got to work with.

. She had warned him then not to fall for her, but when did he ever listen?
Just about as good as when he warns her about not breaking into a building.

The smile fell off Lois’s face as she quickly reviewed all the horrible, insensitive, mean, petty, and vindictive things she had ever said and done to Clark since she had met him.
Well, you say ‘I love you’ in a thousand little ways. Same goes for saying ‘I don’t love you’.

She saw him standing there holding her coat and she exploded, grasping her coat out of his hands. How dare he! How dare he love her! He deserved so much better than her. “Stop it, Clark! Just stop it,” she pleaded under her breath.
shock Can they fire her for that? Or can she just say that it’s the time every four weeks when she eats extra chocolates?

“He doesn’t deserve it any more than I do.”
smile / frown

Maybe she had realized what he had: resistance was futile.
Oooooh!, Lois as the Borg Queen! Could explain her intensity and obsession with perfection.

So, he was trying to comply with her wishes. It was the hardest, most painful task of his life – not showing Lois that he loved her by doing little things for her.
So, each little thing he now consciously does not do is a little thing in showing her he loves her?

Correction: Lois had told Clark that she would be Superman’s companion. What had been her exact words? ‘I’m available.’
I had to go and check. And oh boy, in the episode it sounds so innocent. And on paper here, in the quote, it sounds like Lois is available to Superman’s Companion, as in Companion from Firefly.

Actually, wooing Lois as Superman was still a temptation he hadn’t ruled out yet. A last straw effort should Luthor start to become serious with her.
Yes. That’s going to go over well. /wonders if he will blow up as Superman in her face instead of…well… you know/ Hmmm… This does sound familiar… Hmmm… Oh…right… duh!

Clark still had hopes that this mess was of Luthor’s doing, but he doubted even Luthor would have approved of Super-clone’s obsession with his girlfriend.
Because if it’s Lex, then there’s only *one* crazy megalomaniac out there?

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Like adding oil to water, their co-workers flowed away from her as she zeroed in on her favorite punching bag.
laugh

“I agree,” he murmured.

Suddenly her fury melted, leaving her face pale and her eyes wide. “You? You haven’t had a good morning, Clark?” she sputtered.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael! hyper

Oh dear! I believe I’m a tad late. /pulls out smartphone-sized appliance/ Good thing I’ve got a temporal displacement app on my phone.
I knew it! I knew it! You're not Michael. You're Tempus in disguise. It was the sarcasm and love of irony that gave you away! And that app on your smartphone.

/shrugs/ He probably figures that mental decline would be the only way Lois would ever consider sharing a life with him?
clap

“Always lock up story notes before sleeping with your partner when you’re feeling frisky”?
laugh

To be fair, when he’s not watched, he can do it in a couple of seconds.
Yeah, but nobody knows that!

Problem is, Lois only notices grand gestures that float.
He can do that! wink Oh, that's right, he wants her to love him without the suit... I mean, as Clark. Clothed. Well, actually... blush Never mind.

Ooooooohhhh, creepy!
Yep! I'm glad someone noticed that. laugh

Can they fire her for that? Or can she just say that it’s the time every four weeks when she eats extra chocolates?
I was going for self-defense. I figure an office with Cat Grant in it, doesn't do much on firing people for sexual harrisment (or a little punch in the nose).

Oooooh!, Lois as the Borg Queen! Could explain her intensity and obsession with perfection.
I don't know; I'm thinking like that Borg from DS9 (or was it Voyager?) what man would resist? (Lois as Borg Queen, that is?) I doubt even Superman would. Ah, but that's a debate for another time.

So, each little thing he now consciously does not do is a little thing in showing her he loves her?
Yep. laugh

I had to go and check. And oh boy, in the episode it sounds so innocent. And on paper here, in the quote, it sounds like Lois is available to Superman’s Companion, as in Companion from Firefly.
This scene took place pre-Firefly. Although, if you asked Lois... she did become Superman's concubine...

Yes. That’s going to go over well.
It might be worth the punishment, if he scares her off from Luthor in the meantime.

Because if it’s Lex, then there’s only *one* crazy megalomaniac out there?
One less?

Kansas Farmboy Manual, page 3, section 12?
We'll have to be sure to add it the Clark Rules list.

Which would be why she’s so mad at him for having a bad day. Patent infringement!
lol

Oh great. Lex got to her two years early.
Yep, the Super-Clone was just a decoy.

Maybe he should tell her he’s Superman and if she suddenly gets all frisky and jumps his bones, she’s a clone. …
Ah...

So, Lois remembered he reads correction. Nobody else bothers. And he reads them before going into the office. So, naturally, she expects him to have already read them.
One Clarkie bear for you.

That doesn’t sound too platonic to me…
Um... that was "NOT like a brother".

You’ve done a lot of little things right in there, Virginia!
Well, thankie, kind sir. Well, it's official. I've got Michael's FDK, time to send it over to the Archives. LabRat is going to be sick of me soon enough. wink Yea! Something else to help me procrastinate reworking that huge disaster of a scene bogging me down in Parts 19-20 of my new drama (starts posting in April). laugh

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard