PREVIOUSLY...

At that point, Clark let Lois drag him towards the door. “Did you get it?” he whispered when he was sure they were far enough away to keep the woman from overhearing him.

“Rooms 342, 293 and 310.”

Clark smiled. “Has anyone ever told you you’re a genius?”

“Yes. But certainly not often enough.” She stopped then, glancing back at the receptionist, before taking them in a different direction. It was only when she opened a nearby door that he realized she’d led him into a stairwell.

AND NOW...

“Well, that was a waste of time,” Lois said as they pulled away from the MPH.

“We pretty much knew it would be once we discovered that none of the Smiths were in the custodial section of the hospital,” Clark responded. “Besides, it wasn’t a complete waste of time.”

“How do you figure that?” Lois asked, even as she leaned on the horn to express her displeasure with a car that was trying to cut in front of her.

“Well, we can be fairly certain that whatever we witnessed this morning is not connected with the MPH.”

“Humph. Well, as far as looking for the sunny side is concerned, I’m not seeing very much sun.”

“It’s a start,” Clark said. “Besides, just think. Once we get Jimmy’s results, we’ll probably have dozens more of these fun trips.”

Lois glanced over at him with narrow eyes. “You do realize how easy it would be for me just to dump you off here and make you find your own way back, don’t you?”

Clark’s face split into a smile. “You wouldn’t do that to the helpless blind man.”

“Don’t tempt me, farmboy.”

Clark chuckled. “So... do you want to go back to the Planet and see what Jimmy has for us?”

Lois shook her head. “Not yet. Let’s check out a few soup kitchens and homeless shelters on the east side of Suicide Slum - where his daughter said he was living. Maybe someone there can point us in the right direction.”

The sun was getting low in the sky as two very frustrated reporters climbed back into Lois’ jeep. They’d shown Baker’s picture at a dozen places, talked to several dozen people and no one had been able to help them. All of the homeless people they’d talked to claimed to have never seen him. A couple workers at the various establishments they’d visited said they thought he looked vaguely familiar, but didn’t know his name or where he might be.

“I can’t believe no one recognized him,” Clark said.

“It had nothing to do with whether or not they recognized him,” Lois responded. “It had more to do with the fact that both of us showered this morning.”

Clark’s eyebrows rose. “Are you saying that the people we interviewed stunk?”

“Are you saying they didn’t?” she countered.

Clark had to concede the point. “So you think they refused to talk to us because we aren’t one of them?”

“That’s exactly what I think. According to that bio, Baker’s been living on these streets for a couple of years. Someone should have recognized him.”

“So should we head back to the Planet? See what Jimmy managed to dig up?”

Lois thought about that for a moment before responding. “Let’s leave it until tomorrow. I have one more thing I want to do today. Then let’s grab some supper and... don’t you have a date with a puppy tonight?”

Clark immediately perked up on that thought. “Jealous?” he asked.

“Why would I be jealous?” she asked. “But I should let you know that I might invite some of my cat friends over tonight. If the bed’s full of cats when you get home, you’ll have to find somewhere else to sleep.”

Clark smiled. “So where are we going?”

“Jimmy mentioned something to me while you were in Smallville. I tried to contact Superman to tell him about it - even stood on the roof of the Daily Planet and yelled for you.”

“Sorry to put you through that.”

“We’ve already worked through all of that, Clark,” she rebuked mildly.

“So what did Jimmy tell you?”

“There’s a Dr. Klein at Star Labs who is apparently working on some invention that he claims will be a breakthrough for the blind. I thought maybe Superman might be a prime candidate to try out his invention.”

“Lois, I don’t know this Dr. Klein and I don’t think I want him to know that Superman’s blind.”

“I’m not taking Superman to see Dr. Klein. I’m taking Clark.”

“Why would he let Clark try out some new invention?”

“Think about it, Clark. You’re a reporter. If you think it really is a breakthrough, you can give him some fantastic free advertising.”

Clark raised his eyebrows. She had a point. And if it really was a breakthrough, he would take great pleasure in telling the world about it. Inventing anything that could assist someone suffering the loss of his sight should be encouraged. Until he’d lost his own vision and had to stumble around in this dark new world, he hadn’t realized just how much of a challenge it could be.

“So what do you think?” Lois asked as she and Clark climbed back into the jeep after leaving Star Labs.

“I think Dr. Klein is quite a character.”

“As in absent-minded professor meets mad scientist sort of way?” She pulled the jeep out of the parking lot and on to West Wagner Road.

Clark laughed. “Something like that.”

“So what about that device he gave you? What’s it called again? A GDS?”

“GPS, which stands for Global Positioning System, is the system it uses. But it’s actually called a Navigation Bracelet.” He felt the strange bracelet now on his wrist. It looked like a modern piece of plastic jewelry which could easily be hidden under a long sleeved shirt.

“Do you think Dr. Klein’s claim that in a few years there will be a GPS in every new car on the market makes sense - or is he over-estimating the importance of this invention?”

“He may be right. But remember... the ones that will soon be on the market won’t be nearly as advanced as the one we’re trying out. That’s why he needs us to write a story about it - to get backers to fund additional research.”

“Lucky for you that he needs more funding.” Lois reached over and gave his arm an affectionate squeeze.

“Yeah. Hey, pull over.”

Lois immediately did as instructed.

“Okay, let me give this a try.” He took a deep breath before pushing the large button on the front of the bracelet and saying, “Where am I?”

A woman’s voice instantly told him his longitude, latitude and height above sea level.

“She needs a name,” Lois said.

“Who?”

Lois reached across and tapped the bracelet. “And GPS doesn’t really work for me.”

“Well, what about... Atalanta,” Clark answered.

“Atalanta?” Lois asked.

“She was the Greek goddess of travel. Her father wanted her to marry. Since she wasn’t too keen on the idea, she told him she would only marry a man who could outrun her. Many tried and failed, and in the tradition of Greek myth, they were killed for their efforts.”

“Did she eventually find a man who could outrun her?”

Clark nodded. “But only after he got help from Aphrodite.”

“The goddess of love,” Lois said. “Figures. Love can trip up the best of us.”

Clark chuckled.

“Ata,” Lois said, shortening the name. “I like it. So ask Ata the other questions Dr. Klein suggested.” Lois was more interested in the answers to these questions than in finding out the longitude or latitude of current her position.

“What are my surroundings?” Clark asked, while pushing the button again.

“You’re facing west on West Wagner Road, one hundred and twenty-four feet east of Cleveland Avenue.”

“Points of Interest?”

Lois’ mouth dropped slightly open as Ata proceeded to give the names of banks, restaurants, stores and businesses which could be seen from their current location.

“How do I get to the Metropolis General Bank?” Clark asked, only to be given detailed directions which actually required him to cross the street at the corner, followed by an inquiry as to whether he required assistance in following those directions.

“Okay, now that’s impressive,” Lois said.

“Lois, I know we were planning to go out for supper before I go to the MCB to start my training with Shadow.”

“But...?”

“What do you say we pick up a couple of sandwiches and head somewhere out of the city to give this device a proper test?”

“What kind of test?”

“A super test.”

Lois cocked her head to the side as she looked at him.

“I know the longitude and latitude stuff doesn’t mean a lot to you. But that, together with height above sea level...”

“You’re thinking you might be able to use Ata to navigate from the air,” Lois completed for him.

Clark nodded. “So what do you say?”

Lois instantly glanced over her left shoulder and pulled back onto the street. “I say, what are we waiting for?”

Lois felt as if she was still walking on air as she and Clark arrived at the Daily Planet the next morning. When she’d mentioned Paris in the spring to Clark a couple days ago, she’d thought it was just a pipe dream. Not that it had been particularly springy in Paris - although there were definite signs of spring. Still... She now understood why it was called the city of lights. In spite of the time difference, walking down those tree lined boulevards with their bustling cafes only to emerge a short time later to see the glorious splendor of the Eiffel Tower... Words could hardly do it justice.

They hadn’t had time for more than a quick tour since Clark had needed to get back to Metropolis in time for his appointment with Shadow. Still, he had promised to take her back sometime soon - when the bloom had returned to the trees, he said.

She sighed, leaning her head against Clark’s shoulder as, alone, they rode up in the elevator.

“Still in Paris?” Clark asked.

“Why would anyone go anywhere else?” she answered back wistfully.

Clark chuckled, causing Lois to glance over at him. He was practically beaming.

“That meant a lot to you, didn’t it?” she said.

“Lois, you have no idea. When I first developed these powers, I resented them. I just wanted to be normal... until I discovered I could fly. Then... You have no idea how liberating it was to be able to soar through the heavens. Last night...” He shook his head, unable to put into words how much it had meant to him to be given that back.

She squeezed his hand, silently telling him she understood. The only fly in the ointment was that eventually Dr. Klein would want his device back. Still, there had to be some way to get him to agree to let Clark keep it. She would have to work on that.

“Oh, and I discovered last night that Ata has a jack for a microphone,” Clark continued. “So I’ll be able to speak softly enough to keep people from hearing me ask for directions. Then, if I run the cord up inside my shirt, I can attach the microphone to my collar and no one will even know it’s there. And... given my hearing, I can turn down the volume so low that no one but me will hear the instructions she gives me.”

Lois thought about that. From what she’d seen of the device so far, she could understand how that could come in handy. “What about pushing the button? Could that be a problem?”

“I don’t think it has to be. Given how fast I can move, no one would likely even see me. With a little practice, this device could allow me to move around almost as well as if I could see. I’d still be in danger of stepping off curbs and into lampposts, though. But between the white cane and Shadow, I have a feeling that it could give me a lot of freedom.”

The elevator doors opened, depositing them in the newsroom. As they walked out, Lois noticed how today’s arrival was so much more comfortable than the day before. People barely looked up from what they were doing as Lois and Clark descended the stairs into the bullpen.

“Lois, Clark,” Perry yelled from the doorway to his office, “come give me an update on that story I assigned you yesterday.”

Lois sighed as they changed directions. Time to bring Perry up to speed on what they had... and had not managed to learn about his friend.

News seemed to travel fast in Metropolis - at least in certain circles. That was why Mayson Drake had waited at home by the phone all of the previous evening, just hoping that Clark would call her to tell her himself that he was back in town. Anticipation had turned to disappointment when evening faded into night and still her phone remained silent.

It was sort of by accident that she had heard the news. The Daily Planet reporter who covered the courthouse had mentioned in passing something about Clark’s return to a colleague of Mayson’s and that person, knowing of Mayson’s interest in Clark, had passed the information on to her. No details had been given and Mayson’s friend hadn’t felt free to probe, so Mayson didn’t know anything about the circumstances of Clark’s return, where he was living, not even how long he’d been back in the city - only that he was back working at the Planet.

Still, he was back now. And her heart felt as if it had taken flight.

Why hadn’t he called when he returned? She had to admit that was troubling. Maybe he was just worried that she’d be angry about the way he’d left. But since he had intended to go away with her for the weekend before his sudden disappearance, she was sure her interest wasn’t entirely one sided. He’d probably just been busy getting settled back in. The question was how to insinuate herself back into his life.

What she needed was some plausible excuse to visit the Daily Planet. She didn’t want to appear too forward after all, but she wanted so badly to pick up from where they’d left off before he’d left Metropolis.

She was glancing around her office for some sort of inspiration when her eyes landed on a particular file. Was there some way to make use of that?

Lois looked up when the elevator dinged. While they waited for their sources to get back to them, Perry had said that one of them needed to get down to City Hall to cover a press conference. There was nothing unusual about that. Perry often assigned them short, individual, what he liked to call bread-and-butter stories, while they were waiting for bigger stories to break.

Clark had immediately volunteered to go. Perry’s eyebrows had gone up, but he hadn’t said anything. Neither had she - determined to trust that Clark knew his own limitations.

Still, it was Clark’s first individual assignment and Lois couldn’t help but worry.

Oh, she knew he couldn’t be hurt. Still, if he got lost on the way over, failed to get to the press conference in time and so came back without the story, he’d be seriously disappointed in himself. After last night’s high, she couldn’t stand the thought.

He wanted so badly to prove to Perry, and himself, that he could still do this job. And so she found herself wanting that for him. She wanted it so bad she was nearly ill with worry, counting the minutes until he returned triumphant. Fortunately he had Ata to help him. She wished he had Shadow with him, too. Unfortunately, that wouldn’t happen until sometime next week.

She held her breath as the elevator doors slid open to reveal... Anticipation turned to confusion when Mayson Drake stepped into the newsroom.

What was she doing here? She hadn’t showed that peroxide blonde hair around here since the day Lois had told her that Clark had left. So why... The light suddenly went on in Lois’ mind.

Mayson knew Clark was back.

Lois was as certain about that as she had been about Mayson not knowing that Clark had left. How had the grapevine got news of Clark’s return to Mayson so quickly? And why had Lois and Clark never discussed exactly how they were going to handle Mayson - given what she knew about Superman?

Clark had said there had been nothing between him and Mayson. And given what Lois had learned about Clark the night they’d first made love and subsequent conversations where Clark had told her about some of the things Mayson had said to him about Superman, she believed him. Still, Mayson thought she had a chance. Otherwise, why was she here now?

She saw Mayson look at Clark’s desk, confirming Lois’ suspicions. Lois’ gaze followed Mayson’s. The desk, although obviously now occupied, still contained none of Clark’s personal items.

Lois suddenly wished Clark’s desk contained a picture of the two of them. Perhaps the picture Martha had taken on their last day in Smallville. Clark had insisted that he needed to be in the sun - so, in spite of the weather, Lois had joined him. As a result, they’d been curled up on the swing on the front porch, bundled up under one of Martha’s brightly colored quilts. Lois’ legs thrown over Clark’s while they’d talked and cuddled together. Martha must have spotted them because she’d come out, camera in hand, insisting on taking a picture. She’d taken a couple before demanding one of them kissing. They had happily complied.

The pictures hadn’t been developed before Lois and Clark left Smallville, but right now Lois wished they had been. That picture would be perfect for Clark’s desk - especially at the moment. No awkward questions or conversations. The truth of Lois and Clark’s relationship clear for all to see - staking Lois’ claim against all challengers. Or in this case, one particular challenger.

Lois suddenly had fantasies of Mayson taking one look at that picture, turning around and high-tailing it out of the Daily Planet, never to be heard from again.

The dream shattered when Mayson, after glancing around the newsroom, came down the stairs and made a bee-line for Lois’ desk.

Lois quickly redirected her attention to her computer screen. Maybe Mayson would take the hint and keep moving.

“Hi, Lois,” Mayson said when she arrived at Lois’ desk.

Lois looked up, feigning surprise. “Mayson, I didn’t expect to see you here,” she said, wishing she had - early enough to get Martha to FedEx that picture for Clark’s desk.

“Well, I haven’t really had any information for you the last few weeks,” Mayson said.

‘Liar,’ Lois thought. Could the woman be any more transparent? She wasn’t even looking at Lois. Instead, her eyes kept darting around the newsroom. Still... “Does that mean you have something for us now?” she asked.

The question brought Mayson’s eyes back to Lois. “Us?” she asked with seeming innocence.

Damn. She hadn’t meant to let that slip. For a moment she was tempted to lie herself - perhaps claim she had a new partner or something - but instantly realized the futility of the gesture. Mayson obviously knew Clark was back.

“Yes,” Lois said instead. “Clark’s back.”

“Really? Is he here? I’d like to say hello.”

“Perry sent him out on an assignment. So what do you have for us?”

The question caused Mayson to open her briefcase and pull out a file. She looked at it for a moment, as if trying to make up her mind about something, before sighing. “Is there somewhere private we can talk? This information is a little sensitive.”

Lois chewed momentarily on her lower lip. She really wanted Mayson gone before Clark returned. And going somewhere private indicated a longer meeting. Still... In spite of the fact that Mayson had obviously come for the sole purpose of seeing Clark, there might be a story in whatever information she had brought with her. Still... Did Lois really want Mayson hanging around until Clark returned - and risk having her make the connection between Clark’s blindness and Superman’s blindness?

Concern for Clark won out. “I really don’t have time now, Mayson. If it’s important, you could just leave the file and I’ll take a look at it when I have a few minutes.” She tried to sound regretful.

“Oh, that’s okay. I can’t leave the file. I have a couple of other things to do in this part of town. How about I just come back later?”

‘...when Clark might be here,’ Lois silently added for her. “Well, maybe I can find a few minutes right now. We can talk in the conference room.” Hopefully she could finish up with Mayson before Clark returned. Then, tonight, she could tell Clark to call Mayson and make it clear to her that he wasn’t interested in pursuing a relationship. It might be slightly tacky, but at least Mayson wouldn’t be able to tell that Clark was blind over the phone.

“I don’t mind coming back,” Mayson said, sounding a little too pleased with the idea of following that course of action.

“That’s okay. I don’t want to inconvenience the DA’s office.” Lois rose from her chair and led a reluctant Mayson into the conference room and closed the door.

“This is off the record,” Mayson said.

Lois nodded.

“I mean, way, way off the record. I could lose my job and possibly even be disbarred for sharing this with you.”

“Okay, fine. You were never here. I never heard any of this from you.” Lois knew she was being rude, but she could only think about protecting Clark, protecting his secret - and having Mayson realize that Clark was blind... Mayson wasn’t a stupid woman. How could she not make the connection between Clark and Superman? She had to get Mayson out of here as quickly as possible and if that meant being rude in rushing her along, so be it.

Mayson took a deep breath. “Okay... as you’re aware, in spite of attempts by Martin Snell to prevent it, Baby Rage was ordered to go to trial. Baby Rage’s new lawyer quickly copped a plea.”

“Uncle Mike told me about the plea,” Lois said, wondering how transparent Mayson could be. Baby Rage had been arrested for attempting to set fire to Lois’ Uncle Mike’s restaurant. His lawyer, Martin Snell, had attempted to corrupt the justice system to get his client off - apparently for Intergang, although that had never been proven. Fortunately, it hadn’t worked. But all of this had taken place months ago. And yet this was the reason Mayson was giving for coming to the Daily Planet today?

Lois was tempted to confront Mayson, but the other woman was still talking.

“I expect you also know that Martin Snell was arrested. When he was being questioned by the police, there was an explosion in the interrogation room, killing both Snell and the police officers.”

“I know that, too.” An attack on a police station had been big news, after all.

“But what you may not know is that the equipment recording the interview survived.”

Lois’ eyebrows went up. “How is that possible?”

“The cameras in the room were destroyed in the explosion, but the recording equipment was actually in an adjoining room. As a result, we know that Snell was just seconds away from revealing the head of Intergang when the explosion went off.”

Lois leaned forward in her chair, suddenly very interested in what Mayson was saying. “That’s awfully coincidental.”

“It wasn’t a coincidence.” Mayson paused to hand Lois a report.

Lois quickly scanned it, but stopped when Mayson continued to speak, explaining for her the essence of the report.

“Forensic scientists have combed every inch of that room in the past few months and they have discovered a few things. First, the police weren’t the only ones watching that interview. Someone had tapped into the equipment and was watching and listening to it right up until the explosion. Also, they’ve been able to prove that the explosive device was operated by a remote control.”

“So if he was killed by someone watching the interview at the exact moment he was about to reveal the head of Intergang...”

“...then it’s a sure fire bet that Snell actually knew who the head of Intergang is.”

“So we were right! He did know the head of Intergang! And if he knew who the head of Intergang is... It’s got to be one of his clients. Why else would he know?”

“I agree.”

“So what have you done about it? Have you subpoenaed his client list yet?”

Mayson shook her head.

“Why not?”

“Because attorney-client privilege survives the death of the attorney. We can’t get that information. As a result, the investigation into Snell’s death has run dry. I’ve been told to send my file to storage. Officially, it will remain open, but with no leads, it’s basically dead.”

“So why are you telling me? What do you expect us to do?”

Mayson shrugged. “Nothing. Nothing at all.”

Lois’ eyebrows crinkled together. What? Why would Mayson tell her this if she wasn’t asking them to follow up on something?

“I just thought, since this case involved your uncle,” Mayson said, “you had the right to know that it is basically closed.”

Lois didn’t believe Mayson for a moment. This had nothing to do with Uncle Mike. Maybe this really was just an excuse Mayson had cooked up to see Clark. After all, a cold case wasn’t exactly newsworthy.

But if this was just an excuse to come to the Daily Planet, why had Mayson made such a big deal about telling her this? Why the comments about getting fired or disbarred? It made no sense. And the fact that Lois couldn’t make sense of it bothered her. No. She was definitely missing something here. But what?

It had been a nothing story. Clark knew that. Still, he had to check that his feet were on the ground as he stepped out of the elevator. He could hardly wait to tell Lois exactly how boring the Mayor’s press conference had been. He was certain she would be as excited about it as he was - in fact, she was likely the only one who would be.

He tapped his way carefully down the stairs into the bullpen. As he approached Lois’ desk, he realized that she wasn’t there. Hearing... and smelling... Ralph walking past, Clark turned his attention to his colleague.

“Hey, Ralph, where’s Lois?” he asked.

“Conference room,” Ralph replied without stopping.

TO BE CONTINUED...

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane