Next Thread
Print Thread
#82378 09/29/11 06:39 AM
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Feedback goes here. I'd love to know which version you liked the best and if you have any suggestions as to how to present this type of story better. It was fun writing such similar but different stories. Thanks for reading!

scifiJoan

#82379 09/29/11 08:34 AM
Kerth
Kerth
thumbsup wave

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#82380 09/29/11 12:51 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Nicely done. Both versions were well thought out and executed successfully.

I would assume that the gentle readers would favor the 3/3 ending because it gives us a Lois and Clark happily ever after.

Since I'm not a fan of Desperate Housewives I prefer this ending also.

But really, I enjoyed the first part the most... can you guess why?

Tank (who has never been fond of the Susan character as written in the bits that I have seen)

#82381 09/29/11 04:00 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like version #2 for the reason Tank says. Happy ending for L&C.

Plus, I'm a big fan of alternate-universe fics.

#82382 09/29/11 05:08 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It feels to me like the first ending is really a Desperate Housewives story with a nod to Superman. The characters in the first ending aren't really Lois and Clark, but Susan and an actor playing Superman. The second ending feels like a true Lois and Clark story. The characters really are Lois and Clark. I loved the way you ended it, and, unlike Mouserocks, I'm taking the liberty to assume that as soon as she recognizes Clark as Clark her decision is made.

This *is* my happily ever after.
#82383 09/29/11 05:52 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by HappyGirl:
It feels to me like the first ending is really a Desperate Housewives story with a nod to Superman. The characters in the first ending aren't really Lois and Clark, but Susan and an actor playing Superman.
Really, Happy? I thought the first ending felt like a past (future?) lives version of L&C. (mini soul mates episode) Where they know they were meant for each other but they had already met other people, so it wasn't to be. Kind-of bittersweet.

I'm with you. Rockin' part #3. Poor Susan/Lois with her Sophie's choice dilemma though. Best to end it there. I know which husband I'd choose! smile1 But then again I don't watch DH.

I'm personally think this would be a terrific way to end DH at the end of this season. Kind of a nod to the iconic Bob Newark Show's ending. And both shows (L&C and DH) were/are ABC shows... laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#82384 09/29/11 08:23 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by HappyGirl:
It feels to me like the first ending is really a Desperate Housewives story with a nod to Superman. The characters in the first ending aren't really Lois and Clark, but Susan and an actor playing Superman. The second ending feels like a true Lois and Clark story. The characters really are Lois and Clark. I loved the way you ended it, and, unlike Mouserocks, I'm taking the liberty to assume that as soon as she recognizes Clark as Clark her decision is made.
*nods* I agree with you here, Happy. That's definitely the feel I got from each story. My point was that, with no plans to further the second one, I liked the first better. Version #1 left you with that wistful "perhaps" feeling, and Version #2 had me up and running around in circles wondering what would happen. Not that the second reaction's a bad thing, just the first fits my current mood more. huh

And, as I subscribe to both shows, it's a little difficult for me to brush off and just assume Clark was her choice... not to say he shouldn't be, because he is the right choice. laugh I don't know. This had many good points, but I just wasn't looking for that sort of conflict right now. I'll come back to this in two weeks and change my mind again. blush

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#82385 09/30/11 04:40 AM
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Thanks for all the feedback! It's great to hear your thoughts. I was thinking this version would be more popular since it's our Lois and Clark. It's interesting that some of you have different thoughts about the ending of version 2. Some assume it will be happy and others aren't sure. I have a feeling it depends on how invested you are in Desperate Housewives.

Mouserocks:

I feel like it would be best though if we never found out her choice... but I still want to know.
I feel the same way too.

Tank

But really, I enjoyed the first part the most... can you guess why?
I was going to try to expand the hair cut issue in version 2 with her looking into the mirror and feeling she was seeing someone else but it didn't work out. I thought it might be easier for the reader to imagine Susan as Lois with the haircut too.

IolantheAlias

I like Alt-universes too. You can have so much fun playing with them.

HappyGirl

The characters in the first ending aren't really Lois and Clark, but Susan and an actor playing Superman.
Excellent point. When I was writing it, I was thinking more of Teri and Dean acting it out on DH, but you're right. It's not really Lois and Clark.

VirginiaR

I thought the first ending felt like a past (future?) lives version of L&C. (mini soul mates episode) Where they know they were meant for each other but they had already met other people, so it wasn't to be. Kind-of bittersweet.
Yeah! That's what I was going for. hyper

I'm personally think this would be a terrific way to end DH at the end of this season. Kind of a nod to the iconic Bob Newark Show's ending. And both shows (L&C and DH) were/are ABC shows...
That would be fun. smile

Thanks again!

Joan

#82386 09/30/11 04:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Absolutely *wonderful*! smile1

I too am a DH fan, need I say that is because Teri is one of the principles. cool

I aplaud you on your integration of the two story lines. hyper

The closing line would bring a tear to the eye. mecry Weeping for joy. love

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#82387 09/30/11 04:59 AM
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Thanks KenJ! I'm glad to hear the two storylines worked well. It was fun to play around with

The closing line would bring a tear to the eye. mecry Weeping for joy. love
I'm really glad to hear that. I was hoping that one line would be enough to convey that she was remembering who she was.

Joan

#82388 10/01/11 11:09 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Great story! I'll admit upfront that I know nothing about Desperate Housewives (though my sister watched it and assured my Lois is the best character on the show), but even if I did watch it, I think I'd prefer the second ending. I'm very much a happy ending person, and the first ending was just too melancholy, too inherently sad.

The second, however, was perfect. For such a short story, I thought you did a marvelous job of showing us just how sad and anguished and desperate Clark is--but you went a step further and showed the integrity of his character even in the midst of such grief when he assured her that he wouldn't force her to come back to him. You definitely could go on and have a great story of her returning to Metropolis (surely HG Wells would have a way of bringing back this universe's Susan) and have her trying to adjust to life, trying to remember everything that happened in her real life, and seeing what Clark has gone through in raising a kid all by himself, how life has move don at the Planet.

The amazing thing I'm so impressed with is that in so few words, you conveyed all of that to us. I imagined all these things just while reading yours--and that's the mark of a great story: to energize and exercise the imagination of those reading!

#82389 10/04/11 05:30 AM
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
AntiKryptonite: You bring up an interesting point I hadn't really thought about.

(surely HG Wells would have a way of bringing back this universe's Susan)
While Lois as Susan loves Mike and MJ and would be upset to leave them, she wasn't always in that dimension. Finding that universe's Susan would allow Lois to return to her rightful place with Superman, knowing that Mike and MJ would be okay.

You made my day with this:

The amazing thing I'm so impressed with is that in so few words, you conveyed all of that to us. I imagined all these things just while reading yours--and that's the mark of a great story: to energize and exercise the imagination of those reading!
Thanks again!!

Joan

#82390 10/06/11 12:32 PM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Hi Joan, I've just read these stories. I've watched a couple of Desperate Housewives episodes (mostly because of Teri) but I never got into it. The second ending was (probably obviously) my favourite, but they're both very good. I think I tried to come up with a DH crossover once, but never really got any further than simply *wanting* Susan to be Lois and for Clark to come and take her back. I think you did a brilliant job of combining the shows. Thanks for sharing both versions.

- Alisha

#82391 10/06/11 08:45 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
She watched him play with the children, lifting them up in the air for ‘flying’ lessons, pretending to rescue them.
Awww! Cute!

That sense of sadness still loomed yet his broad grin indicated he was thrilled to see her.
Aww, him sad makes me sad. frown

“I’ve been given these powers for a reason. To help others.”

Hmmm…seemed like this guy took his part a little too seriously. Maybe he was one of those method actors destined for greater roles.
clap

“We’ve been cursed. Whenever we get together in any way, in any lifetime, fate rips us apart. We thought we’d beaten it. This is going to sound insane but a lunatic called Tempus stole you, knocked out your memory and brought you to an alternative dimension.”
jawdrop (Extra points for tossing in my favorite villain.)

Christopher wants to know his mother.
More extra points for the nod to Dean's son.

Her heart leapt with joy.

“Clark?”
Yay! She remembers! And presumably go with him!

Nice little fic! I definitely enjoyed it!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#82392 10/06/11 08:47 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And, oh yeah, I totally liked this ending better than the first. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#82393 10/07/11 05:44 AM
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Alisha

Glad to hear you liked both versions. It makes sense that most L&C fans like version 2 better.

Deadly Chakram

More extra points for the nod to Dean's son.
You know, I'd forgotten that was the name of his son. blush I was thinking more along the lines of Christopher Reeves.

Thanks for reading!

#82394 03/12/12 09:23 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I stumbled across this little one during the Kerth quizzes. What a refreshing tale. And eerie. And sad. I never could reconcile how to solve the Clark/Mike/Susan issue. Until now.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

I guess, now that they killed Susan's husband off on Desperate Housewives, Lois is free to return to Metropolis with her son. Thanks, Joan, for providing a happy note to the way they're ending Desperate Housewives.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard