Next Thread
Print Thread
#82274 09/25/11 07:29 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This is what happens when a fanfic author puts in way too many hours of overtime in a computer-related job.

Joy,
Lynn

#82275 09/25/11 07:50 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I can't stop laughing. I love how you turn the article about clark 2.0. clap

#82276 09/25/11 08:11 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Cute! lol

Only thing is - Clark 2.0 is not exactly compatible with Lois, is he? (Or did I miss something?)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#82277 09/25/11 09:06 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This was an absolute scream! How wonderful! clap Great job. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#82278 09/25/11 09:55 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very cute story. I liked the definition of Clark's abilities and Clark's reaction to Lois' latest efforts.
B

#82279 09/25/11 11:18 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
This was awesome!!! rotflol

#82280 09/25/11 12:17 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Pure genius! Well done!

#82281 09/25/11 02:12 PM
Kerth
Kerth
clap Brilliant!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#82282 09/25/11 05:39 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aw, Clark! They should give Jimmy the ad. Does anyone think be able to read through the lines and actually pick up on the truth, though? Or would poor Jimmy just think they're talking about Clark, Jr.? laugh Funny story, Lynn.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#82283 09/26/11 08:23 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
My thanks to all who have left feedback. smile

Annalina, glad I could make you laugh.

Lara, I'll grant that Clark 2.0 and Lois are not compatible for reproduction, but they are definitely compatible in all other ways. (See the episode 'Sex, Lies, and Videotapes' for a demonstration thereof.)

Deadly Chakhram, thanks. blush

BJ, the list of new features was definitely the impetus behind the story. I'm thrilled you singled them out.

DW, blush

Elizabeth, blush blush

Mouserocks, at the risk of repeating myself, blush

Virginia, I doubt Lois had intended for Jimmy actually to see that advert. She wrote it just to try to break Clark's mood. But if my muse graces me with a sequel, perhaps we'll find out. I'd love to write a story in which Jimmy discovers and reads the wadded up paper before Clark says anything, but I'm not sure if my muse will let me flesh out that idea or when I'd get a chance to write it. If you or anyone else wishes to write a sequel, be my guest. smile

Thanks again to all who left FDK.

Joy,
Lynn

#82284 10/09/11 09:18 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wave
I... Umm... I think, I may be a tad late with this blush

Clark 2.0
So, some new and improved Clark? A clone? A CLark who won't break Lois's heart? Alt-Clark?

"Lois, C.K., would you come into my office?" When they all had settled down, Jimmy Olsen said, "I have this terrific idea for a Sunday special: A 20th anniversary tribute to Superman.
huh

"You might want to give this to Jimmy. You know how much he loves technology."
huh

Congratulations! You have been chosen as one of the select few to be given access to Clark 2.0.
thud I never saw it coming. /goes off, checking geek-gene...

Clark felt the corners of his lips curve into a grin despite himself.
/dries tears of joy/ Lynn, this is hilarious!

Clark then commented. "Well, one thing's for sure. Every version of Clark is compatible with any version of Lois."

And he proceeded to demonstrate just how fully the two could interface.
Too cute! /starts to wonder if Lois might not actually have access to Clark 3.0. The version specifically designed for her pleasure. Mayson would have loved that one, too. But, apparently, she wasn't really interested in getting the 2.0 features that came with it. Much like Windows 7. You got all those cool features, but the Network Assistance is just a pain.

Thanks so much for this geek-fest, Lynn!

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#82285 10/09/11 09:24 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh boy. 20 years. Midlife crisis? Wouldn't that be fun, Superman getting a midlife crises and getting a sharper suit, something like an open-chest piece, sun-glasses, and a blond makeover for his hair? Plus, a really horrible tan.
Darth Michael - this is Superman not the Jersey Shore! wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#82286 10/09/11 02:27 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Originally posted by Darth Michael:
I think, I may be a tad late with this blush
That's OK. The story doesn't come with an expiration date. wink Seriously, though, I love receiving 'late' feedback. It always comes as a nice surprise.

Clark 2.0
So, some new and improved Clark? A clone? A CLark who won't break Lois's heart? Alt-Clark?
Now I am picturing Alt-Clark as a pirated copy of Clark. And I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate being thought of as bootlegged.

It actually took me till they discussed it, to realize that Jimmy was the guy in charge, and thus, editor. Nothing to do with writing, mind you, just expectations blush
I had figured that there would be a 'huh' moment at first, but I had tried to drop enough hints in for the reader to realize fairly early on that Jimmy was the editor. (The 20 year anniversary. The fact that Jimmy was expecting L&C to work on a story idea which he gave them.) But as you say, expectations are strong against him being the editor. Perhaps I should have been more explicit. I'm still trying to figure out the proper balance between showing and telling. huh

"Has it really been twenty years?" Oh boy. 20 years. Midlife crisis? Wouldn't that be fun, Superman getting a midlife crises and getting a sharper suit, something like an open-chest piece, sun-glasses, and a blond makeover for his hair? Plus, a really horrible tan.
I didn't know whether to laugh or to cringe at that image. I wound up doing a little of both.

Point of curiosity: Could Clark even get a tan?

How about handing Jimmy a superman-colored unicorn?
<chuckle> If Jimmy hadn't figured it out already, I somehow doubt that that would help.

"Gee, uh, thanks C.K.. I'll put it on my bookshelf." (Meanwhile wondering why his friend had given him such a garish tchotchke.)

thud I never saw it coming. /goes off, checking geek-gene...
Well, it was a rather off-the-wall, warped idea.

/dries tears of joy/ Lynn, this is hilarious!
Thank you. I amused myself coming up with it, but I am never sure whether what strikes me as funny will strike others the same way.

/starts to wonder if Lois might not actually have access to Clark 3.0.

The version specifically designed for her pleasure.
I like that idea.

Thanks so much for this geek-fest, Lynn!
My pleasure. I'm glad that something good came of all of those extra over-time hours. (I'm still pulling overtime, and am likely to do so for the indefinite future -- hence my relative quietness on the boards. But I have determined to work fewer extra hours than I had been doing.As fun as this story was to write, I think it was my muse's way of telling me that I need to do something other than just work during my waking hours.)

Thanks for the detailed feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

#82287 10/10/11 08:46 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It always comes as a nice surprise.
/reminisces in fond memories/ It does, doesn't it smile

Now I am picturing Alt-Clark as a pirated copy of Clark. And I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate being thought of as bootlegged.
I read this before I was really, truly, awake and it read as 'Alt-Clark as a pirate copy of Clark. And then, for reasons probably related to my translator microbes still asleep, 'bootlegged' came a across as a peg-leg for pirate Alt-Clark.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit.
No,no, it's fine. And I've the same issues. I always figure, so long as the dear reader stumbles across it not too long from first reference and realizes he was just still asleep, it's all right.

Point of curiosity: Could Clark even get a tan?
There was a fun bit in Love and Capes, where the Superhero protagonist got himself a tan by corona-bathing.

"Gee, uh, thanks C.K.. I'll put it on my bookshelf." (Meanwhile wondering why his friend had given him such a garish tchotchke.)
Hey, he might also congratulate Lois and Clark to Superman getting Lois pregnant.

I'm glad that something good came of all of those extra over-time hours.
/nods/ I'm still not back to writing, even though work's back to kind of normal.

wave

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard