Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Again, many, many thanks go to my beta-readers: Anonpip, DW, and Morgana! I would never have gotten this far this quickly without their support and encouragement!

To any readers from Ireland--my trip there was seven years ago and I can't find my itinerary so I hope I spelled the names of the towns right.

Thanks, one and all, for reading and commenting!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
dance Yea! Finally a kiss! Yea! wallbash You're being so... Lois!

At first I thought the whole globe thing was a test for Superclone but then I realized that by taking Lois away, he was giving Clark the chance to... Meet with Jimmy unseen and unheard! What else is in that bag he was packing when Lois returned? Could it possible be... the Globe?

Superclone's rejection of Clark's behavior was chilling. eek I wish it had been an eyeopener for Lois. But some reason, this woman is entirely too blind. Hello, Lois? Who is this "HE" that has entirely too much power of Superman? Did you even think about that?

What went on with Superclone up on the mountain? Was he hearing his 'master' call? Was he hearing calls for help? That he did not want to answer? Or is he getting sick? In pain? Or did he hear something else? Did he hear / realize that he had been tricked by Clark?

<<rubbing hands together>> cannot wait for next part. Hoping that Lois will stop being so stubbornly thickheaded about Clark in the next part, but since we still 7 parts to go, doubting it.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
"This shouldn't be public knowledge, you understand, but...it's in the North Pole."

A triumphant grin threatened to peek out from behind my professional mask, but I shooed it away. "Clark told me that he found a globe from your spaceship. He said it turned into a map of your world."

"Yes." Superman nodded. "Krypton is a red and blue planet with large land-masses."
Thwarted again! Clark's hints at the truth didn't work! frown

He was tortured daily and subjected to Luthor's seductive, poisonous words while all his power was stolen from him.
Lois! Is this not a HUGE clue?

He's one of the very few people who is extraordinary--not because of anything he does--but simply because of who he is.
And therein lies the truth about Clark/Superman. Nicely done to have Lois say it before she really knows what it means. smile

Loved the whole star-struck metaphor, and this:
Clark might not have been sent from the stars, but he had given me those stars. He had punctured the darkness of my life with tiny pinpricks of light that never failed or wavered in their courses. He had brightened my world as if he were the moon--no, I corrected myself. Not the moon. Clark was the sun, bright and vivid and fixed and never to be outshone by another. Others might look at him and see only a single glowing star, but I was close to him now--close enough to realize that what to one person was a star was to another the brilliance of an anchoring sun.
You're such a poetic writer! Just lovely!!

And this:
Superman took me flying...but Clark made me feel as if *I* could fly.

Superman gave me the world...but Clark could very easily *be* my world.

Superman saved my life...but Clark made me believe that my life was more precious and valuable and important than anyone else's.

I loved Superman...but Clark loved *me*.
Just fantastic!

He set a warm hand on my stomach and began to rub it gently. If I had really had a stomachache, I was sure I would have been healed immediately. "The least I can do is try to return the favor."
Aw smile I always did love that little tummy rub he gave her.

Oh the kiss... so well-written and bittersweet! When and how will she really understand what's going on?

Lovely chapter! Looking forward to the next bit, as always! hyper

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
That was a great chapter! It made me wonder- is Superman "the bug", listening in on their conversations? Otherwise, how would he know the information that Clark thought would prove him to be an imposter?

I felt so bad for Clark- professing his love to Lois and having her say "I know" and run off! I can imagine his devastation, esp after realizing that it wasn't his lack of proclamation of love that has been preventing them from being romantic since Lois already knew. He must be heartbroken thinking that Lois just doesnt want "him" since she didnt say she loved him back. Cant wait to see the fallout!

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Love this:

That the knowledge of his love for me sat like a large, extremely awkward elephant in whatever room we were in.
And this:

"Clark is one of those rarest of souls, Superman. He's one of the very few people who is extraordinary--not because of anything he does--but simply because of who he is."
We can see the wheels turning in Lois' head.

What a rollercoaster ride - a kiss then Lois leaves.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
His eyes were tight as he sat down. He had shaved, but a few nicks on his cheeks testified to the fact that he still wasn't quite back to normal.
Now *there's* an understatement! laugh

No, I decided. Better just to say nothing and work it out on my own. He wanted me to test Superman--fine, I'd test Superman. And whatever the outcome, I'd be ready to face it.
*groan* Lois is just *asking* for Luthor to nab her again. thumbsup

Clark might not have been sent from the stars, but he had given me those stars. He had punctured the darkness of my life with tiny pinpricks of light that never failed or wavered in their courses. He had brightened my world as if he were the moon--no, I corrected myself. Not the moon. Clark was the sun, bright and vivid and fixed and never to be outshone by another. Others might look at him and see only a single glowing star, but I was close to him now--close enough to realize that what to one person was a star was to another the brilliance of an anchoring sun.
This. Is. Beautiful.

Superman took me flying...but Clark made me feel as if *I* could fly.

Superman gave me the world...but Clark could very easily *be* my world.

Superman saved my life...but Clark made me believe that my life was more precious and valuable and important than anyone else's.

I loved Superman...but Clark loved *me*.
Beautiful. Except that Lois still thinks that she loves Superman. Someone buy this chick a vowel please?

I paused but could not hold back my next question. "And are you wearing a mask now?"

He met my gaze without any hesitation. "No. The mask always has to come off sooner or later. Although," he added, withdrawing his hand as if *I* had burned him, "most people only show their true selves when they're passionate about something. Like when they're angry and fighting."

"Or when they're in a life-and-death situation." As if we were magnetized, my hand was drawn to his cheek. "Do you know, Clark, that even when you're asleep, you smile if you hear me speak or feel my touch? You can't fake that. And you risked your life for me--another thing that's hard to fake. But then...you're lousy at pretending or wearing masks."

"But I do," he whispered urgently. "I do wear a mask."
This is awesome. laugh

And then he moved his mouth back to mine, and thought was obliterated. I was no longer able to catalogue a specific touch or movement; all I knew was that I felt as if I had come home, as if I belonged there, as if warmth and light and hope had all been personified in the form of Clark Kent.
Wahoo! Kisses!!!!

I had not even thought of Superman as I kissed Clark. Not once. Not at all.
A kiss like that and she immediately goes back to thinking about Superman? wallbash

And I tore myself from his grip and ran to the bedroom and slammed the door shut on his stunned silence. Running from myself--running from him--running from the scarcity--the enormity--of Superman in my thoughts.
So in character for Lois but still wallbash

Ack! You can't just leave it there! More please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wonderful powerful stuff! Fantastic writing!!! thumbsup
I think Clark knew Superclone would overhear what he told Lois about the Fortress and Globe, so he of course could NOT tell her the truth. I just hope she will believe him when she reports what "Superman" said about it and then Clark does tell her the truth. Although don't know when it would be safe for him to tell it to her, unless they make sure Superman is at some disaster far far away -- Keep that TV on!!

Can't wait for what's next! Lois, in spite of herself, is moving closer and closer to realizing she loves Clark; can't wait can't wait can't wait etc. hyper

EvelynC
Top Banana
Top Banana
Powerful stuff indeed! I woke up at 4 am to read this, and when I was finished I just sat in my still-dark living room completely blown-away. May I say again, Thank you for writing and posting this amazing story.

MozartMaid said:
quote:
================
He was tortured daily and subjected to Luthor's seductive, poisonous words while all his power was stolen from him.
================

Lois! Is this not a HUGE clue?
Yes, indeed. This, and the following sentence, where Superclone talks of "rejuvenating light" both go on my ever-growing list of "Clues Lois Did Not Pick Up On."

Does Clark know Superman is spying on them? Absolutely! Starting back in Chap. 5 with:
Concerned, I looked in the direction he had been staring so fixedly, but all I saw were the open windows. When I looked at Clark again, his head was hanging low and his hands gripped the edges of the table tightly.
By Chap. 14, Lois is beginning to catch on to what it is about the window that's causing such a noticeable change in Clark's demeanor:
[Clark's] gaze had locked on the window, a muscle ticking in his jaw. When I followed the direction of his stare, I was somehow not surprised at all to see Superman floating just outside the apartment.
So, how do we know Clark knew Superman was outside eavesdropping on his conversation about the globe? Well....
Clark shrugged, something almost predatory in his sudden smile as he looked toward the windows. "The North Pole, of course."
And Superclone walked right into the trap that Clark has laid. clap

Well done on the scene at the marina; I loved how you combined the original marina scene with lines from their first date - including, unfortunately, Lois slamming the door in his face. mecry

More, please....

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Wow. I wish I could do justice to this part with my feedback, but it is waaaay past my bedtime and I'm not thinking clearly. I hope that the fact that I stayed up so late to finish reading this part speaks for itself.

Another fantastic part.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everyone else already said it better, but - great chapter.

You know, on the TV show, why didn't Clark pick up on the fact that the food from Ralph's Pagoda smelled rancid? Just asking.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Everyone else already said it better, but - great chapter.

You know, on the TV show, why didn't Clark pick up on the fact that the food from Ralph's Pagoda smelled rancid? Just asking.
Clark wanted to play doctor to Lois?

Um, actually good point. He should have picked up on that.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
He was concentrating more on Lois than on the food?

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Because, having a cast-iron stomach, no food ever made him sick, therefore he never learned to differenciate between the smell of good food and rancid food?

Of course, that begs the question of how the 'ordinary-guy' Clark knew the food was rancid when Lois didn't. How about, over time, people (read:Lois) build up a degree of immunity to the bugs in food, making it more difficult to recognize when food passes the slightly-off limit into the 'this-will-make-you-sick' zone, while Clark never built up this immunity, so his body reacted to the first bite, telling him the food was bad? huh

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"Sure." His eyes were tight as he sat down. He had shaved, but a few nicks on his cheeks testified to the fact that he still wasn't quite back to normal.
wave

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Seven more parts? Is that all there is left? Wow, no wonder I'm having trouble fitting everything in. wink Glad you're still enjoying, VirginiaR--but of course, I can't answer your questions. laugh

Thanks, mozartmaid--I loved having Lois say that famous line...to Superman, of all people. smile And I'm glad the star-struck metaphor worked; I was afraid people would think it was too over the top.

I love how you brought out what Clark's reaction to Lois's response would be, bendecida82. Since the entire story is through Lois's POV, I really struggle with showing Clark's point. I'm glad it's clear enough to you all (I told my dad that if I wrote all of Clark's POV throughout, it would end up being a completely different story). Thanks for the feedback!

Love the quotes you brought out, scifiJoan. Yes, Lois is coming ever closer to the ultimate revelation--but what exactly is that? wink

Lois doesn't exactly know what Superman would or wouldn't say, Deadly Chakram, since she really didn't know him that long or that well before he 'left'--something that's proving to be a very large problem. cool Thanks for the great comments!

Thanks, EvelynC! It's truly an honor to have my writing described such. blush

Wow, Vicki--it's so cool to see someone getting so involved that they actually go back to previous chapters to quote supporting lines. sloppy Glad the marina/first date combination worked for you--I just couldn't resist. smile And I'm amazed that you got up so early to read it (mornings are the bane of my existence, I think)!

Staying up late for a morning person is definitely enough of a comment all on its own, Lynn! Thanks!

Loved all the discussion on why Clark didn't pick up on the food poisoning in the show. I actually agree with both Lynn and Vicki. He was concentrating more on Lois (it was their almost-first date, after all, and she was the one who pushed it) in the show, and in the story, I think Vicki put it very well.

You caught up, Darth Michael! smile These pictures you left I understood completely, especially the second one. laugh Is it giving something away if I ask what VHF or VLF communication is? blush Loved your response to her and Clark's kiss. Glad you're still reading, even if it is only to find out the answers. :p

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful feedback! I'm writing the climax now and hope to be done by, at the latest, next weekend. We'll see what my beta-readers say, though. smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just a shot in the dark but:

VHF - Very High Frequency

VLF - Very Low Frequency

???????????????

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Uuuuhhh yah, DC's right. < 20Hz and > 20kHz blush

Glad you're still reading, even if it is only to find out the answers.
Oh, is there another reason? wink Aside from the fact that it's really hard to peek at the end like one would do with a *normal* book wink

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hmm..well, maybe I did give something away by asking, then. :rolleyes:

And you're right about turning to the end, Darth Michael--but that's a bad habit anyway. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard