#81347 08/14/11 06:03 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As always, feedback is not only welcome but much appreciated! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Yay! I did say I wanted more Clark parts laugh ... Good job, as usual! I like how you're bringing in the fact that Clark has had some weapons training in the past with Ching- which gives him a slight advantage over Ren, but only because he has so little experience.

mecry Poor Clark! He's being forced into the games- so soon! Looks like Tempus has been busy...

Looking forward to more soon!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Yay! I did say I wanted more Clark parts laugh ... Good job, as usual! I like how you're bringing in the fact that Clark has had some weapons training in the past with Ching- which gives him a slight advantage over Ren, but only because he has so little experience.

mecry Poor Clark! He's being forced into the games- so soon! Looks like Tempus has been busy...

Looking forward to more soon!
His weapons training is important. It'll help if he wants to survive his time in the arena. Tempus has very busy...and very bad. devil

Glad that you are enjoying things!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Looks like some foul play afoot. I hope his fighting skills are sufficient to make up for the foul play.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KenJ:
Looks like some foul play afoot. I hope his fighting skills are sufficient to make up for the foul play.

Looking forward to the next chapter.
Thanks Ken! Next up is the stuff you gave me some pointers on. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
/Blushing/ Thanks for the acknowledgment.

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/Blushing/ Thanks for the acknowledgment.
But of course! The scene works much better now thanks to you. laugh

I know I kept the mismatched weapon sets in this chapter, but I meant it more as a way of showing how they are getting a taste for all sorts of weapons since there might be no telling what they'd get when shoved into the arena.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
There was a programme about gladiator training last night - one of the things they seemed to be saying was that gladiator armour was mostly designed to "funnel" blows to where they'd do the most spectacularly bloody damage. Really not nice people, the Romans...

It was apparently quite rare for both gladiators to have the same weapon - more often than not they were matched by opposing styles, e.g. a retiarus (net fighter with net and trident) versus secutor (guy with heavy fish-like helmet, armour and dagger)

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
There was a programme about gladiator training last night - one of the things they seemed to be saying was that gladiator armour was mostly designed to "funnel" blows to where they'd do the most spectacularly bloody damage. Really not nice people, the Romans...

It was apparently quite rare for both gladiators to have the same weapon - more often than not they were matched by opposing styles, e.g. a retiarus (net fighter with net and trident) versus secutor (guy with heavy fish-like helmet, armour and dagger)
Neat! I would have enjoyed seeing that! The next chapter is definitely more along "real" gladiator guidelines. This chapter was more about bending the rules like the shows were prone to doing. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tersius nodded easily. "I paid fifty dinars for Clarkus. And eighty five for the other."
Poor Clark! Not only is he a slave, he's a cut-rate slave! How does it feel to know you're second tier?
laugh

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Tersius nodded easily. "I paid fifty dinars for Clarkus. And eighty five for the other."
Poor Clark! Not only is he a slave, he's a cut-rate slave! How does it feel to know you're second tier?
laugh
The nerve of Tersius to add insult to injury! :p

Maybe since Clark is already in his 30's that drove down the price - since he'd have (presumably) less years of arena fighting ahead of them than 18 year old Ren? huh Or maybe since he was the last sale of the day, everyone had already spent all their money? huh

I'll go with the former.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
I knew that Tempus would be up to no good!

Caesar being there is really bad news since of course he'll recognize Xena. frown

You're not really dwelling on it, going from one thing to another too quickly for us to take a breath, but Clark is really going through a lot here.

I've never heard of Clark needing more food than humans when he doesn't have his powers--very interesting.

I'm feeling very badly for him now; you know things are bad when he only thinks of Lois two or three times in the whole chapter. It's took bad their telepathic bond couldn't help them a bit here.

Great chapter!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by AntiKryptonite:
I knew that Tempus would be up to no good!

Caesar being there is really bad news since of course he'll recognize Xena. frown

You're not really dwelling on it, going from one thing to another too quickly for us to take a breath, but Clark is really going through a lot here.

I've never heard of Clark needing more food than humans when he doesn't have his powers--very interesting.

I'm feeling very badly for him now; you know things are bad when he only thinks of Lois two or three times in the whole chapter. It's took bad their telepathic bond couldn't help them a bit here.

Great chapter!
Hiya Anti-K!

I figure Clark's metabolism would remain constant regardless of the state of his powers (or lack thereof). It's never really specified if that is the case of not. So, for dramatic purposes, it got used as a plot point. laugh

I wanted this chapter to sort of mimic how quickly things have started moving for Clark. So he wouldn't really have time to think about Lois. frown Poor guy. And things are going to get way worse still.

Glad that you enjoyed it! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was pointed out in the series that Clark really didn't need to eat, but he enjoyed doing so. He derrived most if not all of his energy from sunlight. However in this alternate universe he is lacking the ability to convert sunlight to energy. It is also pointed out at some point that he does expend a lot of energy. Logically if his primary source of energy is made ineffective it needs to be replaced by something and that something needs to meet the higher output requirements attendant to the higher metabolic rate.

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It was pointed out in the series that Clark really didn't need to eat, but he enjoyed doing so. He derrived most if not all of his energy from sunlight. However in this alternate universe he is lacking the ability to convert sunlight to energy. It is also pointed out at some point that he does expend a lot of energy. Logically if his primary source of energy is made ineffective it needs to be replaced by something and that something needs to meet the higher output requirements attendant to the higher metabolic rate.
Exactly! Even Zara comments on how fast the Kryptonian metabolism naturally is when Ching and Clark are sparring in Lois' living room and they run out of snacks.

Well put, Ken. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Columnist
Columnist
I've been reading a few novels about life in Rome recently, and gladiators have featured a lot, so I too am fearful for Clark. frown

Fighters in the arena didn't have a long life expectancy, and Clark is fairly old to begin life as a gladiator.

I agree with Marcus, for all the fact that they were supposed to be civilised, Romans were not nice people.

I'm hoping Lois and Xena are able to rescue Clark before he's hurt too much, but I understand that you want to stretch out the drama ... and my nerves. wink

Yours Jenni

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Jenni Debb:
I've been reading a few novels about life in Rome recently, and gladiators have featured a lot, so I too am fearful for Clark. frown

Fighters in the arena didn't have a long life expectancy, and Clark is fairly old to begin life as a gladiator.

I agree with Marcus, for all the fact that they were supposed to be civilised, Romans were not nice people.

I'm hoping Lois and Xena are able to rescue Clark before he's hurt too much, but I understand that you want to stretch out the drama ... and my nerves. wink

Yours Jenni
Hi Jenni!

Thanks for reading and commenting! Clark *is* old for someone just starting out as a gladiator. Which is probably why he was such a cheap purchase.

Me? Be evil and stretch out the drama? Of course I am! devil More coming on Thursday!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
After a moment, Giron, the head guard, came into view.
AKA the doctore.

The spear was no less vile, to his eyes. He tried to use it more like a staff, trying to keep the sharp tip away from his opponents. After all, they were only sparring and Clark didn't want to hurt anyone.
/imagines doctore stepping up to Clark and ripping the spear from his hands before slapping him. "No no no no no. You put end with point *into* opponent. Not away from opponent."/

Still, he wondered what his reaction would be if he were to be put in the arena to fight for real. Part of him argued that he would refuse to make the kill.
Yep, Clark's definitely going to drive poor doctore crazy.

"Brutus, my old friend! To what do I owe the pleasure?"
Oh? Are we talking about Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger? And why is he wearing a centurion's uniform? Or is Clark simply putting it in very laymen's terms?

"Good to see you again, my friend. I come at Caesar's behest. He wishes for you to bring some of your gladiators to the games this week."
And shouldn't Clark peek up at the realization that this is *the* Brutus? And not just any Brutus?

"Word has it that you have some new acquisitions."
I'm sensing a pattern...

"Caesar asked for you by name."
That's not good. How did Tempus convince Caesar? And did Tempus also tell Ceasar about the Ides of March? And are we just before the Ides of March?

"He'll be announced as Clarkus. The people like names that sound more familiar to them. Not that it matters much. He'll be dead before tomorrow night."
/squints eyes/ Sounds like he will earn the 'Maximus' pretty soon, huh?

Brutus smiled. "Caesar will pay you ten times what you paid for him once he is dead."
That can't be good.

"It seems that the gods themselves have demanded that this one die."
Yep. Not good.

Clark could scarcely believe what the building held as he crossed the threshold.
They're getting women?

From another doorway in the back of the room, women entered, their garments so sheer that it was as if they wore nothing at all.
laugh How's Clark going to wiggle out of that one?

They were afforded certain comforts - better food to sate their hunger and women to sate their lust.
blush I just figured. But you're right. My bad blush

By the time he had finished, however, he wasn't feeling right. He felt somehow weaker and more disoriented. A headache grew - a stabbing pain that felt as if it was right behind his eyes. He felt nauseous. A cold sweat broke out on his brow and he shivered despite the summer heat.
Oh boy. Intentional food poisoning.

With an effort, Clark laid on his bench in a nearly fetal position, too sick to keep his eyes open.
That can't be good. And he will make quite a mess. /imagines Clarkus soiling himself from both ends in the arena due to a massive digestive upheaval/

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/imagines doctore stepping up to Clark and ripping the spear from his hands before slapping him. "No no no no no. You put end with point *into* opponent. Not away from opponent."/
*spits out oolong tea as she bursts into laughter*

Oh? Are we talking about Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger? And why is he wearing a centurion's uniform? Or is Clark simply putting it in very laymen's terms?
Nope, just a generic, run of the mill Brutus. Just a messanger boy for Caesar.

That's not good. How did Tempus convince Caesar? And did Tempus also tell Ceasar about the Ides of March? And are we just before the Ides of March?
Tempus can pop in and out of "existance" with the time window - it wouldn't be *that* hard to convince Caesar of his "godhood." Plus, he *could* tell Caesar things that he learned in history class that the general population wouldn't know. He has not told Caesar about the Ides. And if we take each Xena season as a year, then we're roughly 2 years away from the Ides (since this takes place after Season 2 and The Ides of March episode is the second to last episode of Season 4.)

/squints eyes/ Sounds like he will earn the 'Maximus' pretty soon, huh?
Yes, but in a very sarcastic way.

They're getting women?
Ummmm....define "they."

blush I just figured. But you're right. My bad blush
lol

That can't be good. And he will make quite a mess. /imagines Clarkus soiling himself from both ends in the arena due to a massive digestive upheaval/
*tries to purge that image from her mind*

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also: does it help that I wrote 2 pages to a sequel last night? I just think it is going to be a while before the story fully shapes itself as I go along. This one practically wrote itself.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard