Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
"Why is it so important that you got the letter to Superman?"

Her smile flickered. "Because so often today, people forget as soon as the danger has passed. I wanted him to know that we are grateful for what he did."

"Did you see the press conference today?"

Her sandy-coloured eyebrows lifted. "There was a press conference?" she gasped.

Evan nodded. "Yes," he confirmed gently. "In Centennial Park."

"And Superman was there?"

"Yes."

Her face fell, and she stared into her tea.

"There were thousands of people there," Evan said. "No one got to talk to him personally."

"He's not coming back here?"

"No."

Miss Wallace sipped from her tea, her face carefully blank, but Evan could sense the disappointment in the slight droop of her shoulders.
Thanks smile

Corrina.

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I so loved this part, especially how you handled the press conference. Eric is certainly a very capable man and for a second there, I really hoped that Ruby Rhodes would have been forcibly removed from the conference, but I loved that she realised that she had no grain of support! And the crowd of supporters were just great!

I am also happy that the imprisonment question did not upset Clark, and that he was more worried/concerned about Lois (and Evan) upon seeing her tears.

So Martha Kent is Esther Wallace??? I really do hope that Jonathan is still alive somewhere, but if not, I think you did a great job of preparing us for that news! I wonder how that part of the story will unfold - how Martha will discover where Lois and Clark is, and how Clark, if he doesn't get his memories back, will respond to seeing his mother?

Hope we get part 16 soon (like, say, Wednesday or earlier would work too wink )? smile1

smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I agree, the whole Ruby Rhodes scene could have been bad for Clark. But if he didn't remember the cell after being confronted with it so blantantly... what will it take for him to remember. Should he remember? It can't be healthy for him to just go on with his life without knowing his past, his history. Any of it.

I'm glad Lois is feeling guilty for having lied to Clark. She should.

Ok. My guesses on Martha Kent's idenitity were off... way off. Mrs. Wallace, huh? Poor and destitute. frown It sounds like she had walked to EPRAD since the first announcement about Superman. I hope she's fine.

Clark reunited with his Mom. hyper Can't wait!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
hyper hyper dance

Fantastic chapter! I'm so excited about what I hope is about to happen!! I hope that Evan is able to put two and two together and get four, or should I say, Martha Kent. Clark did extremely well at the press conference. The preview made me really nervous about Ruby Rhodes. I was happy to see Evan and the crowd put her in her place.

So, you're updating again tomorrow, right? We can't leave poor "Esther Wallace" waiting too long to talk to Superman.

~Mel~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah! Yeah! and Yeah! Loved that Ruby Rhodes got shot down. I loved how Clark knows Lois so well and that Lois knows just what to do to get him on track. I love that Martha is now in the picture! Weeeeeeee! More soon! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Apparently Shadbolt is the only thing that pulls me out of the woodwork to comment. smile That was great with Layla, how he casually slipped her deafness into the conversation. I have such a crush on him. I wonder if a certain someone else might develop one too. I'd so like to see him happy.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I want this so badly to be Martha!!!! Great part-- I love how your characters are evolving

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Martha Kent is back! I was a little teary eyed just from that little bit. it just seemed so Martha. I was so relieved Shadbolt wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm thinking if you're finished with the whole story you should just post all of it. wink I can't wait for more. I'm guessing seeing Martha will make him remember something. Yay Martha!

I heart Clark Kent.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yomg.

Talk about dangling a carrot in front of a starving pack of animals.

Cannot wait to find out whether or not Esther is Martha.

Could wait til Clark reams Lois for the amount of lies she's built up for his own good. It's funny really - if Clark were in his right mind, we know he'd do the exact same thing to her at some point.

dance
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Is it realistic to think that something as complex and meticulous as a space mission could be planned and executed within a few hours?"
Well...yes.

(Assuming you have Superman on your side. laugh )

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part.

Framework4
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"Eric has a grain of a lead regarding the whereabouts of the missing person."
Hmm... it sounds as if either the Deller trail is a dud, or Ms Wallace walked all the way from Philly. And is it a letter or is a certain yellow and red piece of fabric she's handed over?

Clark thanked him graciously and stepped up to the microphone. "Subjects," he said.

One word - one solitary word - and the crowd erupted again.

Evan glanced to Lois and gave her an encouraging smile. "He'll be fine," he said.

"I know," Lois said.

"You did a great thing."

"Thanks."
*SCNR*

"Once you have returned to your position with the other reporters, we will continue," he said firmly, regarding Rhodes with intractable determination. "If you refuse to do so, I will direct security to physically remove you."
So, what's Perry doing while watching the screen. Besides yelling "Olsen, get Ms. Rhodes desk cleaned out and her stuff sent to the 'Digger!"

"Is Superman married?" she called out loudly. "Does he have a girlfriend? Does he want one?"
laugh So, will there be fanmail. Like we've seen in AKA Superman?

"Because when he came here the first time - before the asteroid, when he still remembered what I had done to him - he treated me with far more respect than I deserved. He's a good man. Better than good."

"Yes," Lois said.

The door opened, and Clark walked in, his cape swinging. He stopped, his eyes darting from Lois to Evan. "Is everything OK?"
The whole time, I kept wondering if he had eavesdropped a little. It might have started innocently enough with him straining for Lois on the flight back. And Then he might have picked up a compromising bit of conversation and... well...

"I can cross the United States in less than a minute," he said. "I figure that when I have the right motivation, I should be able to do other things quickly."
Oh boy. Does this mean Lois would best stop to motivate him?

I just sent the final part to the BRs, so if RL is nice, I'll be able to post reasonably quickly now.
/starts motivating/ grovel grovel grovel grovel grovel

Michael

Edit: I'd best go and move the last line of my FDK to part 16's FDK, huh?

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
As Patrick said, Delightful part.

I was worried about the press conference, after that preview. Now it seems the preview was a red herring*, unless... Will this come up again?

I understand why Clark was not unduely distressed, if he doesn't remember, but I still don't understand why he wasn't at least curious.

And, alas, I am now ready to accept the fact that Jonathan is dead. mecry There is no way on God's green earth that man would let his wife walk (or ride a bus or whatever) half-way across the country, alone. He would have gone with her if he could have.

Sad as I am to think Jonathan is really dead, I do have to say I found Amy's idea intriguing. That would be an interesting twist. laugh

ETA: Not sure if "red herring" is the idiom I'm looking for, but a diversion. Intended to make us think the worse, when in fact, all turned out OK.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
"To keep him from remembering the cell." Lois felt hot tears rise. "You should have seen him, Evan," she said. "He was like two different men. Before the amnesia, he was so unsure, so broken, so damaged, so indoctrinated to believe he was less than human. But afterwards when he couldn't remember it, he was so gloriously free. He smiled. He joked sometimes. He was like a new person - still Clark, but without the pain. I wanted to keep that for him."
Aw, Lois... smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
DW
Hope we get part 16 soon (like, say, Wednesday or earlier would work too )?
Tuesday? laugh

Virginia
I'm glad Lois is feeling guilty for having lied to Clark. She should.
Out of interest, what would you have done in her position?

One of your other comments showed me I need to make something clearer in an upcoming part. Thanks.

Mel It was your comment about not leaving Miss Wallace at the gate too long that convinced me to post Part 16 last night. (And the fact I was in a generous mood after getting the final chapter back from my BRs!!)

Laura From your comments, it seems as if you like the way the story is heading smile Thanks for always giving such encouraging FDK.

Amy You were one of the first to see through Evan's crusty exterior and realise there is a heart under there. Lois saw it, too.

Joy Something I really enjoy about longer stories is that I can bring in new characters and develop them around the main LnC story.

Jen
I'm thinking if you're finished with the whole story you should just post all of it.
Actually, the epilogue is in pieces - literally. And I still have the *final* final scene to write. But I will continue to post more quickly.

Jen Good point. Sometimes FoLCs seem to dislike the length of time Clark *lied* to Lois about his big secret. In this fic, Lois lied, certainly. And it could be argued that she did it for herself - because she wants Clark healed enough that they can have a good relationship. But she also did it for him. As I've said before, his reaction will probably depend on whether he sees her lie or her motivation.

Iolanthe But the crowd is only just learning what is possible from the man in blue tights!

Patrick Thanks for continuing to read.

Michael In amongst all that very nice feedback, you make a comment that points directly to the epilogue!

Vicki I don't usually deliberately write in red herrings - actually, a more accurate statement would be that I don't usually write red herrings specifically to put in the previews to mislead.

From the story POV, Ruby Rhodes' question was meant to put further pressure on Lois.

The last couple of chapters, I've found choosing a preview quite difficult. Things are happening/about to happen quickly, and I don't want to give too much away.

I understand why Clark was not unduely distressed, if he doesn't remember, but I still don't understand why he wasn't at least curious.
He accepted Eric's explanation - that Rhodes had gotten her information from the 'disgruntled agent' whom (from the 'attempted to rape a female agent' clue) he guessed to be Moyne. Clark has already decided that Moyne is a 'lowlife bully'. Despite his composure, I think Clark would have been quite nervous during the press conference, so it's possible/likely that he didn't pick up on every little detail.

But as you said, he could review the whole incident later ...

(I didn't say I don't put red herrings in the FDK-FDK!!! wink )

MM

You can totally understand her motivation for wanting to keep the truth from him,
I thought so.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful FDK. clap

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard