Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
"Daniel called me today," she said.

"What did he say?"

"The media want a press conference with Superman."

Clark's reaction stalled somewhere between acceptance that this was going to happen and dismay that it was happening now. "What do you think?"

Lois swivelled, stretching out her upper arm across his stomach and bending her elbow so that her hand provided support for her head. "I think it would be good for the public to get to know Superman," she said. "But it's more important that you feel comfortable about it."

"I don't think I'll ever be comfortable in that suit," Clark said, wincing at the memory of the photograph on the jewellery store wall.

"It could work to our advantage that it's so distinctive," Lois said. "No one would ever think Clark Kent would wear something like that."
smile

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very sweet chapter. I feel a set up though. I big one coming soon. Can't wait to find out what you have in mind. I am glad she did not burn this pie. More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lots happening in the Part. I love that the honeymoon isn't over. smile1

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I see Lois is starting to ask herself some of the same questions I was asking.

Things are definitely getting interesting. Something's gotta give... I can feel it coming.

Have I told you lately how much I love this story?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part.

Not sure why you had Lois lie. I think she should have told folks the truth that he has some recent memory problems. After all there is no way people won't notice.

Clearly you are setting us up, the question is will it be painful or not?

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Are they going to sleep together?"

"Eventually," Lois said. "After I've put them through a few realistic impediments."

"What about unrealistic ones?"

"Maybe those, too."
laugh laugh laugh

Breaking the fourth wall a little? laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
"That *was* work," Clark protested. "See how breathless we are."
goofy

He had worked for the agency, too. And for longer than he had previously assumed.
Ah, if only, Clark! whinging I'm pretty sure Lois' novel helped nudge that idea along, even if it wasn't her intention...

What would her lie do to their marriage?
Yeah, Lois--good point! And I'm glad she's wanting to tell him the truth now, because his discovering it on his own could surely backfire!

MMmm! And pie a la mode! And a bath together! laugh
But will it all come crashing down when Clark discovers the truth?

PS I haven't said it before, but I'm glad you turned Daniel Scardino into a likeable character and almost friend to Lois. He was a salvageable character after all. smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another excellent part... and I just loved this line:
Lois fanned her cheeks, telling herself that the oven was making the kitchen unseasonably warm.
Keep the parts rolling in! Looking forward to Martha (and hopefully Jonathan) Kent's return. It will be interesting to read how they find each other and how the reunion unfolds, also where she/they have been over the last 7 years.

Cheers
Elizabeth

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"That *was* work," Clark protested. "See how breathless we are."
Yep. Monster created. /check/ Also, Clark's finally got a hobby.

"Are they going to sleep together?"

"Eventually," Lois said. "After I've put them through a few realistic impediments."
Also, she probably wants to get more field research done to get the details of the 'male agent' right.

Rachel stared at Lois for a long moment. "For Clark's sake, I'm willing to trust you," she said. "But you should realise that if I ever believe you are using him or taking advantage of his situation, I will do anything I can to ensure that the damage you cause is kept to a minimum."
Hmm... The problem is, Lois *is* using him. And she *is* taking advantage of him. Usually, both at the same time. Unfortunately, Clark knows it and happily agrees with the using and advantaging by his wife. clap

Lois had to tell him - *before* any of those things happened. The timing was critical. She needed to secure as much time as possible for Clark, but each extra day, each extra hour risked something detonating the bomb.
Hmm... you are usually quite sneaky. So, I'm starting to think the outcome's got to be a lot different than what Lois keeps spelling out in her mind. Repeatedly, and for all the FoLCs to see. Or it will be so much worse than even we could imagine. Maybe, Clark might actually run off with Rachel, try to find Lana, and when he finally stumbles across Mayson, too, found a polygamous community somewhere in the outskirts of Metropolis.

"That's why I am going to try to make one for Clark."
Oh dear. What sort of doom is going to befall them now?

After slipping it into the oven, she set alarms on both of her cell phones and began clearing away the floury mess.
So much preparation can only lead to catastrophe. Maybe the oven will blow up and take half the kitchen with it and send Lois into a coma plus amnesia afterwards?

When the kitchen was spotless again, Lois sat at the table and waited for the time to pass, determined that she would not destroy another pie with her inattentiveness.

Her mind drifted.
Poor pie. It never had a chance...

Her agency cell phone buzzed, carving through her thoughts. As she rose from the table, the alarm on her personal cell sounded, too. Lois slipped on Martha Kent's mitts, opened the oven door, and gasped.

The pie was perfect.
dizzy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Loved this part too!

You are making me hungry with the apple pie, which sounds so good (and I am happy that Lois didn't screw this one up).

Glad that Lois is thinking about telling Clark and consequences of her lying to him. And Clark feeling in his gut that there is a secret is not good.

I also hear ominous music in the background and I think you are setting us up for something.

Still wondering how and when Martha (and Jonathan?) will appear? And I am glad that Scardino turned into a likable character, with Menzies as help.

clap

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Another wonderful chapter! clap

Quote from VirginiaR:
My other thought is that Martha is going to show up back in Metropolis as a friend of a friend... possibly that nice housekeeper of that old guard (I can't remember his name off-hand) the one with the daughter that made the Superman suit.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like this happened. Maybe Martha could working at the nursing home where Sam is, or she could be working at Uncle Mike's restaurant. I could see either being a possibility with her caring personality and her skills.

Like some of the others, I'm also wondering about Lois lying to the townspeople of Smallville. Hmmm, what's coming?

Hurry back with the next chapter!

~Mel~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Catching up with 11 & 12. My life has gone kerfluey this month, in terms of time to indulge in fandom, but this story is never far from my mind and I always try to steal moments to check if there is a new part.

Loved the conversation between Dan and Eric in the last part -- it's good to see that they really are looking for Martha and have covered bases (like nursing homes where the patients aren't allowed to leave) that I hadn't considered. And the convo between Lois and Uncle Mike was fabulous. I can't wait until they get back to Metropolis and have lunch with Sam. He's going to be more thrilled than anyone that L&C got married. thumbsup

In both 11 & 12, I'm loving how sweet Lois and Clark are together, and how adorably sexy Clark is. (The "hungry?" with the glance at the bedroom window was hilarious; no mystery where your mind is, Clark, LOL!) Like everyone else has mentioned, though, it's clear you're building toward things blowing up for Lois. Her intentions are good, but I can't help but feel she's started to dig herself in deeper than she's going to be able to get out of easily. As a trained agent, she should know that the more lies you tell, the easier it is to get tripped up. This has been a nice interlude for both of them, and they deserve some days of marital bliss, but I'm back to feeling uncomfortable that Lois isn't telling Clark the truth ... or even more pieces of the truth to show her good faith. Granted, he's not asking for it anymore -- but he's also pushing down those questions with the fact that Lois has told him not to ask. So at what point has she moved from protecting to manipulating? It's definitely a conundrum, and you've done a deft job of setting it up.

More, please! Tell Goo that he can focus on those other stories all he wants (please, please!) ... once this one is done. wink

Kathy

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Still here! Sorry for not commenting in so long, but may has been a hectic month.

I agree with many of the comments here, but mostly with Kathy's. I haven't been really confortable with Lois's lies and I felt in part 13 she really went too far. I can understand not telling Clark everything and trying to be cautious. But first her lie about Martha and now her lies to Wayne's wife and Rachel... I find it hardly defendable. And though a part of me would like to see this story keep running smoothly, I must say that I'd be disappointed if this didn't lead to conflict between Lois and Clark, because I really think that when Clark finds out, he should get angry.

Having said that, I obviously am really enjoying their closeness. It took a very long time to get there and it's great to see them so blissfully happy (for however long you allow it to go on wink ).

Looking forward to more!

Cris
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Laura A big set up? Hmmmm. wink

Virginia Interesting speculation. And good point re Lois not knowing for sure that Martha is alive.

Vicki

I see Lois is starting to ask herself some of the same questions I was asking.
Yes - now that she has had the time to think things through.

I posted Highway 1 on the 21st of April - over a month ago. For Lois, discovering Clark's amnesia happened on Wednesday morning. It is now Friday night. I realise that, as readers, it is easy to forget how little time has passed and how quickly things have moved.

Patrick

Not sure why you had Lois lie.
A few people mention this further on, so I'll respond here for everyone.

The people of Smallville have lived for seven years with the mystery of the sudden disappearance of a loved local family. Then - out of the blue, when all hope appeared lost - Clark returns. Whoa! That must have been huge news.

The story is put about that the Kents were wrongly kidnapped and Clark was rescued by government agents. I think most people would love a few more details, but the overwhelming question would be 'Are Martha and Jonathan OK?'

Then suddenly, Clark and the agent he brought home with him disappear again.

From Highway 1 ...

Lois nodded. "That's a good idea," she said, thinking of long hours in the car, and motel rooms, and eating meals, and nights ... together. "That will give Clark the time that he needs."

"What will you do about the farm?" Daniel said.

"I'll call the neighbour and ask him if he can do the chores for a few days."

"What will you tell him?"

"That we've had a lead about Clark's mom, and we had to go in case it developed into something. That's the only reason Clark would leave the farm."

"I'll call the neighbour," Daniel said. "You've got enough to think about."

"OK, thanks," Lois said, glancing to Clark again. "Anything else?"
So, the Smallville residents are told (via Wayne) that Lois and Clark have gone to chase down a lead on Martha.

What is going to be the first and repeated question Clark is going to face when he returns? What happened with your mom? Did you find your mom? Where is Martha?

Lois *had* to find a way to silence that.

I think she should have told folks the truth that he has some recent memory problems.
Two problems with that. First, she is wary of admitting to any similarities between Clark and Superman. Sure, the public don't know Superman lost his memory, but Lois can't be sure they never will.

Second, that doesn't answer the questions about Martha.

Iolanthe

Just a little!

MM

I'm pretty sure Lois' novel helped nudge that idea along,
Good pick up.

Elizabeth Yeah, I guess Martha has to have a backstory help Assuming she's alive, of course.

Michael

Also, Clark's finally got a hobby.
rotflol

DW I thought Lois making a great pie would be a nice surprise!

Mel
I could see either being a possibility with her caring personality and her skills.
Just quoting without comment!

Kathy

As a trained agent, she should know that the more lies you tell, the easier it is to get tripped up.
True - and on the first day (after spending a sleepless night of worry and then discovering the whammy that Clark now remembered nothing), she had to make an on-the-spot decision regarding Clark's parents.

Saying they had died was actually the simplest way - particularly as Lois thinks there is a good chance Jonathan has died and has grave fears for Martha (Would you like someone you love at the mercy of Jason Trask?)

Imagine if she had tried to concoct a story that was Martha alive. I think she would have been forced into digging a deeper and deeper pit, trying to find answers for Clark's questions. At least 'they died before I knew you' is going to limit his questions. There is no way to explain why Lois hadn't asked Clark (pre-amnesia) about something as bizarre as a person simply disappearing. And how does she explain that Clark - with all of his powers - hadn't been able to find her? Wouldn't Clark ask *lots* of questions about what he had done in trying to find her?

Cristina I've answered others with regard to Lois's actions.

I must say that I'd be disappointed if this didn't lead to conflict between Lois and Clark, because I really think that when Clark finds out, he should get angry.
I guess Clark's reaction will depend on whether he is able to understand the immense pressure Lois has been under and whether he can see her motives or just her actions.

Thanks to everyone for continuing to read and particularly to those people who take the time to let me know your thoughts.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard