Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Clark adjusted his tie so it sat neatly in the apex of his starched collar. He slipped on his jacket and surveyed the result in the full-length mirror. His new clothes looked good. But his face ...

He grimaced.

His stubble had grown longer and thicker since his unsuccessful attempt to shave this morning.

Why was Lois so against him shaving?

Was it because - despite everything she'd said and her evident appreciation of his bare chest - she was nervous about this first kiss? Was she hoping that his stubble would mean the kiss would be limited to a brief touch?

Or was it somehow linked with the lack of scars on his body? If his body couldn't be marked, did that mean his whiskers couldn't be shaved?
Thanks smile

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
A nice WAFFY chapter -- even if there was no real kiss yet! thumbsup Your descriptions of Clark's... um, shall we say, delectableness are a lot of fun. laugh

One thing I'm not sure I agree with Lois on --
"Is it going to make this more difficult for you - not being able to share it with me?"

"No," she said.
Ultimately, won't it be more difficult for her? Since she can never forget, won't his past be a burden on her whether or not she wants it to be? This is why I'm of two minds about whether or not Clark should regain his memories. On the one hand, yes it would be great to start over and move forward without the hang-ups and fears of his past. But on the other hand, are they really on equal footing if he does not regain his memories? Isn't Clark going to wonder what was so tragic in his past that caused Lois pain? And is it fair for Lois to carry the weight of both their pasts on her own? Wouldn't they ultimately be stronger for sharing the burden together?

Obviously it's got to come out that he's superpowered -- and I wonder if that will be the trigger switch to other memories...

I trust whatever you have planned will make sense and be satisfying -- but just another testament to the strength of your writing that you've got me thinking about the consequences of various outcomes... wink

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Keeping me on the edge of my seat as usual. Please, tell me that we don't have to wait another 100 parts to get that first kiss.

Two walls were lined from floor to ceiling with books. In the corner was a stand, which appeared as if it should have something on it....

His eyes drifted from the meaningless strings of letters and to the stand.

It looked as if something had once hung from it, but it was too short to be a hatstand. He shrugged, accepting that he wasn't going to determine its purpose. Perhaps he could ask Lois.
I'm curious about the stand, too. It must be important or you wouldn't have focused so much attention on it. What had Sam gotten rid of that once was on the stand? Or did Lois remove something? Is there something in Sam's past that's going to influence Lois and Clark's relationship or is it just a red herring? Hmmmm.

When Clark regains his memory (or even if he doesn't, but learns he is Superman without regaining those memories), I don't think he's going to be thrilled about Lois taking compensation for him helping out with the asteroid. Not even compensation for his imprisonment. He's going to feel guilty about spending that money on clothes and gifts for Lois. Tsk-Tsk. I see more heartache ahead for our young couple. Sigh.

Keep up the good work.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful tale. Delightful beginning.

I love the whole shaving thing. I can how having Clark make an issue of it will be so useful.
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
When Clark .... learns he is Superman without regaining those memories
I think she'd hit on the reason for the shaving focus.

Clark is Clark, once he sees the news about the Asteroid and Superman, and discovers he can't shave, adds in his lack of scaring, he will figure out he is Superman.

Being Clark, without the burden of memory, when some disaster strikes he is going to insist on going to help.

I am looking forward to finding the globe, since this Clark has never been talked about it, it should help him to build a solid foundation and withstand the painful return of his memories.

We also have the discovery of the marriage license to come, I expect it, and spending some time helping as Superman and returning to Smallville will help to put a framework on the foundation.

I rather expect the key to their return of his memory will only come after he is happy and functioning regularly as Superman.

At that time Martha Kent can return and Clark can have a memory cascade.

Looking forward to it however events play out.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, it looks like Clark is putting 2 and 2 together all on his own. I think he'll figure it out without having to be told.

This part focused (at least verbally) on Clark's trust in Lois, but Lois demonstrated a great deal of trust in Clark - and in Clark being Clark no matter what - when she started rough-housing with him. Well, maybe not rough-housing, but still that whole tickling episode could have ended quite differently with any other super-powered man who didn't realize he was super.

I'm guessing Jones used to hang on that stand in Sam's office.

I am so enjoying these chapters, and as always I'm ever eager for more. dance

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Corrina,

I'm embarrassed by my lack of response these past few weeks, but of course my neglecting to comment has not meant that I have not been awaiting each update with any less enthusiasm. Finally after surviving both kids' birthdays, spring break travel, and computer hard drive failure I'm jumping back into the fray. I may try to reread and leave comments, but I wanted to say something here first to get the ball rolling so my silence didn't stretch even longer. That being said, I love where the story has gone and can't wait to see where you take us. Fabulous as always! Long, lost reader, Emily smile

K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Wow. We might get an honest to goodness reverse reveal. Lois knows who Clark is and she's agonizing over how much to tell him, and about his reaction. If only canon Lois could get a hint of what that feels like!

I do wish Clark had taken off more than just his shirt...maybe been checking out his...but that's a whole "nother kind of reveal...

How wonderful he's embarrassed because he's a bit shy, rather than traumatized.

I must say your posting schedule until now gave me the sense that the story was happening almost in real time...one day of L&C events for a day or two of real life, and the flow is so smooth that it captures and distracts the imagination. So just a little bit of withdrawal symptoms, in the day off. I'm so very glad I came back to reading once the imprisonment was ending. I've been lurking but this is so beautiful it deserves a great big thank you for writing.

peep blush

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to all said here. I love the flirty nature the two of them have adopted since his return. I also am wondering about the beard and how much that will reveal to Clark. I forgot about Jones but that is a good guess and a good clue about the past. He may end up picking up on that eventually. I am looking forward to the next chapter. Like everyone else I am hoping that it will be the one for OUR kiss that we have waited so long for. Great job! More as soon as possible. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
This part was really perfect!

I also love the flirting between Lois and Clark and the part about him checking himself out in the mirror. That parallels with the preview, where he looks at the mirror and thinks he desperately needs to shave. I also think he will out 2 and 2 together.

Looking forward to their date and Clark's shaving dilemma laugh

smile1

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
He was intoxicated with her.

He wanted to touch her. If that wasn't possible, he wanted to watch her.
Ah, yes. Clark operating solely on instinct. clap This certainly suggests a hit on the head in similar situations might be helpful.

He *had* to buy a razor. He had to shave. Before this evening.
But he still seems to be able to find *something* to obsess about.

Lois grinned. "You didn't rob a bank," she said. "Nor are you involved in any crime. Nor did you cheat anyone. The money you have was honestly gained."
True. But what happens when he learns that he's spending old Ms. Chemsky's pension. And the hard-earned money of the single mother of five who lives next door. dizzy

She reached up and brushed a kiss to his cheek. "Take me home, Eric," she said. "Please take me home."
Huh, now this sounds like healing. Is it the clam before the storm?

Michael, already feeling the shakes coming...

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I started reading a few parts ago and got hooked. So now I'm back and up to date and loving it. Love this last part, and how the amnesia left Clark all forward and flirty.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Usually I post my feedback first, then come back and read other people's comments. This time, however, I was feeling a bit unsettled after I finished the chapter, so I read the comments in hopes of gathering my thoughts ... and happily, mozartmaid was able to put my feelings into words for me. smile

This was a delightful WAFFy chapter ... but I found myself continuously waiting for the other shoe to drop. Clark is delightfully fun and carefree without his traumatic memories, and Lois is clearly enjoying this look at what he would be like without his emotional burdens. Yet I couldn't help feeling that there's going to be some heartbreak at the end of this, no matter how it plays out.

If Clark never remembers his imprisonment, he and Lois will be able to build a life together, no question. But won't she always have to be careful of what she says to him? Even if she eventually fills him in on what happened to him, and he "learns" his history as one would learn object facts by reading a book, there would be things -- important, serious things -- about their shared history that he'd never be able to discuss with her or understand.

But if those memories do eventually come back (which I'm expecting they will, the ending of AMH notwithstanding), he's going to have to deal with the trauma of reliving those experiences all over again. thumbsup )

I don't think he's going to be thrilled about Lois taking compensation for him helping out with the asteroid. Not even compensation for his imprisonment. He's going to feel guilty about spending that money on clothes and gifts for Lois.
I'm going to disagree here. He might well be surprised at where the money came from and the amount, but the guy was falsely imprisoned and tortured for SEVEN YEARS. His family's farm, their livelihood, was left to rot away, and would have done so had it not been for Wayne's efforts. He never finished college, he was prevented from having a career, he has no work experience or resume with which to find a job, and (unless his memory never returns) he's emotionally scarred for life. No amount of money can make up for those things, but being given the amount he could have made in salary while he was imprisoned is hardly excessive. And I think he would be able to see that, especially with Lois having to give up her own career because of how she helped him and the two of them needing money to live. I don't know what Corrina has in mind, but I would be very surprised if this causes any serious problems between Lois and Clark.

But I guess we'll have to keep reading to find out! And Corrina is the only one who can help with that. wink

More, please! laugh

Kathy

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
MM Good point about future difficulties for Lois. But what else could she answer? If she says 'yes', that is going to worry Clark.

It's true that the relationship is unbalanced, but Lois's great hope is that she will be able to choose the right time to tell him.

Virginia
Please, tell me that we don't have to wait another 100 parts to get that first kiss.
OK laugh

As others said - Jonas was on that stand. Jonas, who was put in a casket and cremated instead of Clark - it appealed to my sense of humour to have Clark wonder about it!

Patrick
Some of your predictions are close. You're very good at higlighting little bits I had carefully covered over laugh

Vicki The tickling - My thoughts were that Lois had a similar moment to the one in the cell when she first flew the paper airplane at Clark. However, I was in Clark's POV, so I couldn't say that.

And your point is well made. Lois trusts Clark to be Clark, despite his lack of memory.

Emily I'm glad you're OK. When we hadn't heard from you for a while, I wondered if the storms had affected you.

And I'm so glad you're still reading.

Katie

I'm so very glad I came back to reading once the imprisonment was ending.
My intention for TMTY was always to be a WAFFY feel-good story of hope. I know the early parts seemed anything but that. I *so* wanted to tell everyone 'If you like WAFF, keep reading' but I didn't want to spoil it for others.

Laura You're right - the amnesia allowed me to bring in some flirtiness and banter. Without the amnesia, it might have taken years to develop.

DW

Clark and the part about him checking himself out in the mirror.
I had to get his shirt off somehow. I owed Lois that much!

Michael
But what happens when he learns that he's spending old Ms. Chemsky's pension.
One of my BRs assured me that the US coffers could stand paying out a few dollars to someone who had saved the world! wink

Right title. Wrong species.
goofy

Jackie Hi! A forward and flirty Clark is always fun to write.

Kathy I agree completely with your thoughts on the money. Clark doesn't know it is compensation, but I would have thought that $70 000 isn't a *huge* payout for doing a job for the government.

If he ever finds out that it's not just a payment for services, but compensation for seven years of hell, I think it's easily justifiable. At the very least, he deserves an amount equivalent to what he should have earned during the years of imprisonment.

As for worries about the other shoe ... perhaps I can echo Lois and suggest you enjoy the ride without stressing too much wink

Many thanks for the FDK. I still post each part with some trepidation that everyone will hate it blush and it's such a relief when you don't!

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard