Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The bathroom door opened, and Clark walked out. At the sight of him - dressed in his own clothes and with his hair shining and unfettered - Lois's heart soared.

She smiled, but he didn't. "What's wrong?" she said.

"Ahh ..." Clark spread his fingers and thumb across his cheeks. "I ... ah ... tried to shave, but the razor broke."
smile smile

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
So well written! I love the balance you are creating in Lois' struggle to want to help Clark, yet fearing what memories may be drudged up. I also wonder how you will handle his memory recovery -- part of me wishes he could forget his time in the cell forever, but that would have to include forgetting his time with Lois and we just can't have that! I trust you'll make it an interesting and satisfying ride, however it turns out... and based on the teaser for the next part, not sure how long Lois can hide the fact that he's... um, super. wink

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very interesting stuff. I'm both anxious for them to get on the road, and understanding of the fact that they need to rest a bit before they do. I feel sorry for Lois and her frustration over not knowing the best thing to do. Does she answer his questions? Let him figure things out for himself? Let's just hope Dr. Deter isn't the EPRAD psychiatrist. wink

Clark must be starting to clue in that he and Lois are more than just friends, though. Her level of upset must be obvious, as is the way she looks at him. And he correctly guessed that he'd given her flowers before, her favorite flowers ... and that's not something casual friends usually do for each other.

But she's not being honest with him when she is answering questions, is she? She'd told him he's not going to remember traumatic things, and that's just not true, on any level. Whether it's his memories of the cell he's trying to block out, or the memory of Nightfall, either would fall in the "psychological trauma" that Clark specifically asked about. And Clark is clearly more distressed about his situation than he's letting on to her.

More, please! I'm so anxious to see where this goes next.

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is sooooo good. There's a gigantic angst pit hanging between both of them as Lois tries not to tell him things about his horrible captivity.

The pit's going to burst at some point. cat

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
shayne terry wrote a beautiful piece called "fugue" I think? with a mild similarity -- an amnesiacal clark who broke his razor or scissor or something

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
A quick note about posting schedule. smile

On Tuesday afternoon, I'll be at the Hawks/Geelong game, and then I have rather extensive plans wink to (hopefully) celebrate - meaning I will be away from my computer for at least 24 hours.

So - do you want part three tonight (Monday evening)? Or wait until Wednesday evening or possibly Thursday morning?

Thanks to MM, Kathy, Jen, and Joy for leaving FDK!!

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Part 3 tonight of course! And part two was great. I am confused by his reaction to himself. Is it his lack of recognition? I can't wait to find out. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Here on the west coast no one would serve bagels without cream cheese; butter and jelly too, but not without cream cheese.

Someone please tell me if this is different on the east coast/DC. or midwest of the US. ??

Thanks, Corrina

EvelynC
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great part again!

I also love how you set this up and Lois' being careful what she answers and reveals and Clark asking questions and then wanting to talk about Lois!

Also, when Clark deduced that his amnesia was psychological and Lois stated that it was trauma-induced or something similar - that wasn't very honest of her, but she clearly wants to protect Clark (from bad memories and all).

Oh, and I thought it good that they rest a bit at the base and recuperate a little.

I see H3 is up smile1 smile1 !

laugh

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"My last job was full of difficult situations," she retorted. "I coped."
I'm wondering. Is she referring to the alien-warden-thingy or the undercover-spying-thingy?

But could she trust Menzies? Or Daniel? And even if she could, how much authority did they have at EPRAD? What if the scientists decided that this was their ideal opportunity to experiment on an alien?
Hmm... I'm actually more worried that Clark's current warden might try to experiment with him.

Clark responded with a masterpiece of a smile. If he was going to keep smiling like that ...

... She was going to need emergency bedroom therapy. And a lot more than rubbing each other's backs.
clap Poor girl, she sure is at the breaking point by now.

And some crazy extrapolation, given his lack of glasses: I can't help but wonder how Clark would approach the subject of Lois returning from taking her shower and Clark seeing her in the all-together. Should be fun, him obsessing about whether to ask why she's naked or just assume that they're actually more than acquaintances. angel-devil

So - do you want part three tonight (Monday evening)? Or wait until Wednesday evening or possibly Thursday morning?
And speaking of wishful thinking. I actually read this as "three parts tonight" and couldn't stop obsessing about how a short absence would prompt so many chapters, not that I would complain blush blush blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by EvelynC:
Here on the west coast no one would serve bagels without cream cheese; butter and jelly too, but not without cream cheese.

Someone please tell me if this is different on the east coast/DC. or midwest of the US. ??
Here bagelries would offer cream cheese (often in several different flavours), but many people would not choose to get it, and individuals might well serve bagels sans cream cheese. Evan might simply have chosen not to buy the cream cheese. A lack of cream cheese would not be that big a deal here in my part of the east coast. Are there any denizens of New York City here? If so, what say you?

And since I am posting in this thread anyway, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Corrina publicly for giving us this masterpiece. I usually give her all of my comments at the beta reading stage, but here I'll add my voice to the throngs chanting, "Brava!" clap

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've family realized that you're not trying to drive us crazy. But you sure are driving Lois nuts!She's having to hold back so much (both emotionally and physically), that she's bound to explode! Then again... maybe once she can let out all that pent up 'stress' they'll both benefit from it laugh

Anyway, all things considered, I think she's holding up quite decently. Not telling Clark anything has got to be really difficult, yet she's somehow coping.

And once again, I'm loving Scardino en Shadbolt. You've managed to build two supporting characters that seem both realistic and likeable within their roles.

Cris
Top Banana
Top Banana
"I'm Clark," he said. "I don't remember anything before today. Do I know you?"

"Yes," Evan said.

"Are we friends? Colleagues?"
How on earth do you answer that question?
"We both know Lois," Evan said.
OK.

I enjoyed the scene of Lois trying so hard to ignite a spark of memory, and Clark picking up on it.
"Asters seem an unusual choice," Clark noted quietly.

She nodded again, staring at him steadily, willing him to remember that asters were just one of the hundreds of small threads that weaved through their shared history.

"What are you thinking?" he asked.

"I'm wondering what you're thinking," Lois said. "I'm wondering if you remember anything. If anything I say elicits even the smallest reaction."

"No," Clark said with a deep sigh. "Nothing."

"But?"

"But I'm trying to read your face ... trying to determine if there's anything significant in your answers ... something you're remembering ... something I should be remembering."
And then this:
"Did I give you asters?"

Her heart leapt as she searched his face for any sign of recognition. "Yes," she whispered.
This is getting good!

Off to comment on part 3.

PS - Loving this story!

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
MozartMaid

I love the balance you are creating in Lois' struggle to want to help Clark, yet fearing what memories may be drudged up.
That's a good summation of this chapter - Lois (and me wink ) trying to get the balance right.

Kathy

But she's not being honest with him when she is answering questions, is she? She'd told him he's not going to remember traumatic things, and that's just not true, on any level.
Kathy, I assume you are referring to this ...

"When my memories come back, am I going to discover something really bad? Is it possible that I have amnesia because it was easier than dealing with something traumatic?"

"No," Lois said. "That's not why you have amnesia."
Lois didn't answer Clark's first question. She answered his second - that the need to escape something traumatic is not the primary reason for his amnesia.

The 'psychological trauma' could be a factor - but the timing suggests that it has more to do with flying head-on into a giant asteroid.

Jen The pit is going to burst? wink

Joy I haven't read that story. Although the more I thought about the amnesiac Clark storyline, the more I realised how much the show had simply glossed over.

Laura You were meant to be confused laugh but all was explained in the next part.

Evelyn In the beta, Iolanthe said something like 'what? no cream cheese?' but I thought it was a joke. Ooops.

DW

Also, when Clark deduced that his amnesia was psychological and Lois stated that it was trauma-induced or something similar - that wasn't very honest of her, but she clearly wants to protect Clark (from bad memories and all).
Lois trying to protect Clark is a thread that runs through this entire fic. She's still trying to protect him. And don't forget that, although her agent training might have included some psychology, she isn't trained for this situation. She'd just doing the best she can, because it's better for Clark than seeking professional help.

Michael
I'm wondering. Is she referring to the alien-warden-thingy or the undercover-spying-thingy?
I figured she was reminding Scardino that she was the (only) one who had dealt appropriately with Clark when he was in the cell.

Clark's glasses help him not to use the x-ray vision, but he still has to turn it on (or else Superman would see everyone naked!)

Lynn As I have discovered, the USA is a very diverse nation.

Cristina Poor Lois. As soon as she gets settled into one scenario, everything changes. But she's a spy - she should be used to this. smile

Vicki There were going to be a couple of awkward moments. I think Evan was pretty keen to get out of there before Clark could ask too many questions.

Thanks for the FDK. You guys rock!

Corrina.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Clark's glasses help him not to use the x-ray vision, but he still has to turn it on (or else Superman would see everyone naked!)
True. I was just saying... wishful thinking or daydreaming on his part could go long ways evil

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard