Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
He's evil.

You can see it in his eyes.

Look at him. He's a monster. He could do anything.

He's not even human. He looks like a wild animal.

I'm glad he's dead. We could never be safe if he were still alive.
Thanks!

Corrina.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
[Menzies] didn't ask any questions. He seemed distracted
Nightfall is certainly enough to distract anyone.

His eyes fell on a copy of the Daily Planet lying on the coffee table....Above the photo, the headline screamed: "ALIEN!"
This is clearly not the Planet run by Perry White. Not the Perry White that refused to let Lois & Clark run an article on a warehouse of Alien artifacts. In a world with a known Extra-Terrestrial flying around Perry White told Lois Lane
You two are the best. You tell me something, I believe you....can't let you write it, though....not when you're talking U.F.O.'s....we run with this thing, we look like the "National Whisper". You'll kiss your own careers good-bye and take the paper with you. Can't let that happen.
So this Daily Planet is not being run by Perry White, indeed it may be already under the thumb of Lex Luthor. Or someone like him. For all we know this universe's Lex Luthor could be a good guy. Perhaps he is working for the "Washington Post".

This could be the break L&C are looking for in finding Martha. Whatever department that is holding her may decide to let her go now that Clark is dead.

Be nice if she got off the bus in Smallville, very depressed believing both Jonathan and Clark are dead. Can you picture her arriving at the farm, briefed by the towns folk about Lois and Clark to find a very worried Lois Lane and no Clark.

Clark is up in space trying to stop the asteroid, Lois is pacing and almost pulling her hair out and Martha, whose photo Lois has seen, arrives.

Framework4
Features Writer
Features Writer
The tension and build-up in this part was very nicely done, leading up to some bigger things in the future. If, as so many people are assuming, this is Nightfall, I was thinking that two days does not give Clark time at all to become Superman in any form or fashion (aside from the way his character is so inherently super smile ). But then, as I continued to think about it, I realized that as little time has actually passed in the whole of this story, two days is quite a long time; so much has been accomplished already that it's not totally outside the realm of believability to accept that Clark could become Superman and stop the asteroid--and oh, how much would it help him to counter the terrible things he just heard about himself if he could save the world and realize he's good for our planet.

That said, I'm reluctant to assume anything because you're so skilled about making us all think the story is going one place only to have it make an unexpected turn...somewhat like a bumpy trail. wink

I really liked how Lois was able to instantly turn to Clark. They're so attuned to each other that each can tell when something is bothering the other--even if they don't always know exactly what the problem is--and so wonderful about answering or countering it immediately.

My favorite line was, I think, the last, where Lois wishes that she could undo the harm of the article. I really didn't care for the reporter at all, and I'm not sure that Menzies was all that smart for admitting that there was an alien in the first place. After all, she really has no proof: her source is discredited, drugged, and dead; her picture is nothing more than a picture similar to Holocaust photos (I'm imagining); and all the records, files, journals, compound, and rods were destroyed. So...what could she have printed that would have had solid proof to back it up? I just hope Menzies is right and whatever is coming up will be enough to undo the harm of this article, although I'm not so certain that it will cause more bad than good when/if Clark publicly becomes Superman.

Can't wait for the next part! Thanks for sharing.

Top Banana
Top Banana
What a rollercoaster ride!

I loved the meeting of Clark and Sam. The best part for me, though, was right before the meeting, when Clark mused that he had never thought it was possible that one day he would be meeting his girlfriend's father.

I, too, was surprised that Menzies admitted there had been an alien, but since he truly believes the alien is dead, I suppose there's no real reason to deny it. Plus, and expecially if Nightfall is coming, he's got other, more important, things on his mind at the moment.

I'm really hoping this *is* the Nightfall meteor, because that would (a) force Clark's hand in creating Superman and (b) provide the perfect setting for people to accept the alien. If it weren't for something as drastic as Nightfall, I don't think this Clark would ever present the alien side of himself to the world as Superman.

And speaking of people accepting the alien (or not), today's preview is just plain wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, no! What a setback for Clark's emotional health. mecry Yes, he's heard Scardino reassuring them it won't go anywhere, and no one recognized him as the person in the photo, but just hearing those people repeat everything that Moyne and Trask told him must have him about ready to curl up into a ball. The poor guy can't catch a break! frown

This Daily Planet reporter is clearly not one of their hotshots, based on how she ran her interview, although I am surprised that Menzies confirmed anything at all to her. I would think the public relations fallout would be a lot less serious from a story about a drug-addicted CIA agent spinning delusional stories of alien life than having a CIA higher up confirm they had once captured an alien. (After all, that photo could have been faked, or of someone completely unrelated to aliens.) But I guess he's still trying to protect his wife and her memories of their family ... and if Nightfall really is going to hit in two days, he apparently has decided it doesn't matter what gets printed.

(Though by that standard, he could have told her to print the Moyne-on-meth story, too, with the same expected non-results. "I'm sorry that you got roped into this, Miss, but the fact is, that agent had lost touch with reality and we were in the process of trying to bring him back to Metropolis when he was killed after attacking a law enforcement officer. Nothing he says can be substantiated, and if you print his allegations, it will only serve to destroy your credibility." She might keep looking into it, but by the time she gets any sort of story pulled together, the planet would have gone kerfluey. wink )

You're taking us on a real roller coaster ride, Corrina! I figured that, with only three parts to go in this story, we'd be wrapping up the "escape" part of the plot and be moving into the "find Martha" storyline. But clearly you have much bigger things in store for us, especially if Nightfall really is on its way. And given the pace of this story, I have a sneaking suspicion that part 29 is going to end on a huge cliffhanger ... peep

Thank goodness you've already been hard at work on Highway!! I don't think I could handle a break in posting before the next story!

Kathy

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I also think that part 29 will end on the mother of all cliffhangers!

But back to part 26: This really was a roller coaster part in itself with the interview, the nice pizza scene, Clark meeting Sam (the visit went so well, and then the picture in the newspaper!

Poor Clark, he really can't seem to catch a break (and he desperately needs one/a few).

Looking forward to part 27! (as always that I do not even have to mention it here laugh ).

Oh, and the preview was evil evil evil

smile

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Oh darn, Clark is *NEVER* gona to kiss Lois.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Top Banana
Top Banana
goofy I know, right? The longest-awaited kiss in lcficdom.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by AntiKryptonite:
I'm reluctant to assume anything because you're so skilled about making us all think the story is going one place only to have it make an unexpected turn...I'm not sure that Menzies was all that smart for admitting that there was an alien in the first place.
I've been thinking about unexpected twists and much as I'd love for it to be the Nightfall asteroid that has Menzies distracted....

What if it is news that an Alien starship has been spotted?

Telling folks the Government is experienced in dealing with extra-terrestrials could be very useful in such circumstances.

Framework4
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What if it is news that an Alien starship has been spotted?
That was my guess. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I seem to recall that this story was in response to a challenge about the New Kryptonians. But, I could be wrong...

Now, wouldn't Nor just throw things for a loop?

BTW, fantastic chapter. I dread that Martha might read this horrible article. She would immediately know that it was Clark and mourn not just for his death, but his obvious mistreatment during the seven years he was held. Poor, poor lady.

mecry

B

ETA:
rotflol

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
lois would never have been played like menzies played this reporter

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmmmmm... an Alien ship from New Krypton. That would work, too. But if that's the case, earth is darn lucky that Lois showed up when when she did *and* that Clark is Clark. Someone else going through what Clark went through just might find themself tempted to side with the New Kryptonians over the earthlings.

Merriwether
Merriwether
See, and I look at it from the other angle -- the Clark of this story would never be able to lead an army against Nor the way canon-Clark did. He's just way too damaged. Not to mention, he wouldn't have the support of "his people", which is what ultimately convinced Clark to fight when diplomacy didn't work.

And even if this Clark did end up fighting against Nor's forces to save the Earth, he'd either not be able to kill Nor at the end or would have a complete emotional breakdown (a la Lois's breakdown over almost killing Moyne), if he did so. I'm not sure he'd ever be able to recover from something like that. frown

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
You bring up some ggod points, Kathy. Of course, if anyone can pull it off and make it believable, Corrina can. But yeah, the Nightfall scenario probably works better. Even then, putting on that suit is going to be a HUGE step for this Clark.

Don't make us wait too long, Corrina! I am so curious to see what is going to happen next. And when is the time going to be right for that kiss??? spider

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Vicki:
Even then, putting on that suit is going to be a HUGE step for this Clark.
Maybe, but I think the while point of running his photo in the paper was to prep him for putting on the suit.

Framework4
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Speculation!! goofy

Patrick

The Daily Planet is without Lois and Clark - it's going to be a lesser entity. The Luthor idea is interesting.

Clark is up in space trying to stop the asteroid, Lois is pacing and almost pulling her hair out and Martha, whose photo Lois has seen, arrives.
Niiiice!

AntiK Menzies admitting there had been an alien - if the reporter wasn't satisfied with his answers, she could keep digging. That might lead to stories about Neville - which would upset Phoebe. It might also lead to a 'violation of human rights' which would also be messy.

Vicki

The rollercoaster had been a little subdued for a few parts!

Kathy

I would think the public relations fallout would be a lot less serious from a story about a drug-addicted CIA agent spinning delusional stories of alien life than having a CIA higher up confirm they had once captured an alien. (After all, that photo could have been faked, or of someone completely unrelated to aliens.) But I guess he's still trying to protect his wife and her memories of their family ... and if Nightfall really is going to hit in two days, he apparently has decided it doesn't matter what gets printed.
I think it's not that he had decided it doesn't matter what's printed, but that he's *very* motivated to avoid spending the final days of his life suffering the fallout from upsetting Phoebe.

Had he gone with the story you outlined, things might not have been pleasant on the home front. Even though Phoebe knows about her nephew, she could be protective of her sister.

DW Cliffhanger? huh

wink

SJH Yes, he will. huh

Nor? That could be interesting.

Joy I couldn't have someone else do Lois's job as well as she does it. wink

Vicki

Don't make us wait too long, Corrina!
The plan - T28, Monday. T29 (which is long), Wednesay. H1, Friday. I think those three parts are good to go. H2 needs at least another couple of read-throughs.

Thanks to everyone for the FDK, including the thoughts and speculation!

Corrina.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ms Rhodes' eyes turned ice cold. "Why didn't your agency alert the public to the danger when the alien escaped?"
"Because Mr. Moyne proved to be somewhat unstable and had to be terminated. I wouldn't trust the information he's put out there if I were you."

The reporter looked so pathetically eager. She didn't know that by Wednesday afternoon, the story of an alien would be of no consequence. "You won't talk to any other reporters? You'll guarantee me the exclusive?"
Sounds quite ominously like nightfall. Or an alien horde trampling down a path through the solar system.

"Because when we talked about our favourite foods, I said that I loved apple pie, but there was pain there, too, because I always associated it with Mom. You said that you didn't know if you would ever eat pizza again. I figured you thought that maybe it was time to make some new memories." He shrugged self-consciously. "I didn't know what else to do."
Oh, yeah, now that you mention it.

The front page was filled with a shocking photo of a man with a shaggy beard and long, straggly hair.

Above the photo, the headline screamed: "ALIEN!"
Huh, yah. I'd have guessed 'hobo' but I'm sure alien works, too.

He walked out of the door, and Lois watched him, wishing that destroying the impact of the story could be as easy as burning the newspaper.
Oh dear. Oh dear.

Michael jump

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Michael

Oh dear. Oh dear.
lol

The apple pie/pizza connection was a long time ago now. Clark hadn't forgotten, though!

Thanks, Michael,

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard