Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
"What are you going to do?"

"I thought I'd go into Smallville."

Tension cinched through her body at that prospect. She was sure that, in the manner of small towns, something of her encounter with Moyne had reached the ears of the local people. She didn't want to be pointed at; she didn't want to answer questions. She didn't even want to be there while they crowded around Clark. "Do you want me to come with you?" she asked.

"I didn't think you'd want to," he said, his tone carefully neutral. He picked up his coffee and nonchalantly drank from it.

Lois was grateful for his understanding. "Will you be all right going by yourself?" she asked.

He looked at her then - over the top of his cup of coffee. "I'll be fine," he said. "I don't intend to stay for long. I'll go and pay what I owe Dave and buy some more food. I might visit the bank and maybe do a couple of other things, but I don't intend to linger."

Lois nodded, and Cark quickly looked away, taking a swig of his coffee. He was hiding something. Nothing major, probably -

Then Lois realised. He was probably planning to buy something nice to take to the beach. Perhaps some Smallville speciality that he had particularly missed.
Thanks!

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
whew! *I'm* emotionally exhausted by these characters! I'm glad to see they are moving forward.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Emotionally exhausting is a good description. The fact that they feel this way is definitely coming through to the reader. But they are talking again, and that's a very good sign! When Lois finally confessed the issue that was most on her mind, that she'd ruined any chance of Clark ever trusting her again, it was a big break-through. It gave him a chance to set her straight on how he was feeling and to start assuring her the way she kept assuring him when he was the one who was in emotional turmoil.

Lois's point about them each being too messed up to be what the other needs is well taken, but it was great to see Clark be so clear-headed about it -- it's not sustainable long-term, but together, they will get through this and they will eventually be OK again, as long as they stick together. I'm confident, even if Lois isn't yet. thumbsup

So were these difficult chapters for you to write? I remember you saying you'd gotten a bit bogged down in the middle of the story and ended up doing some big rewrites, but I can't remember which chapters they were. I know from personal experience how tough it can be to write your characters in such pain, so kudos to you for molding it into the great stuff we've been reading. smile

Kathy

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I agree - emotionally exhausting is a great description.

I am also that they are moving forward - Lois opening up to Clark about what is on her mind and thinking she ruined everything, both noting that emotionally scarred persons that need each other in the long term in unsustainable, and Lois promising to still be there on Friday.

Looking forward to see Clark go into town and them going to the beach. Just having fun is a great idea!

smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to the emotional roller coaster and I loved the way this chapter ended. Sigh...

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Features Writer
Features Writer
I loved this conversation so much! It's nice to see him coming through for her as she did for him. They can't always each be so needy, I agree, but there are always moments in relationships where one person needs more than the other, and it's important that the other can come through for the one. (Hope that made sense smile )

So much of the imagery of your words is so beautiful, trying to reach her past the moat, feeling a smile that dies before it reached his face, that sort of things. It lingers in the mind, something I really enjoy when I'm reading.

I'm glad they're making progress, but they still have a long way to go. As happy as it is that they've made this break-through, it's incredibly tragic that Clark is back to taking life one day at a time, just as he did in the cell, living in the moment, unable to imagine the future. I loved his response to Lois's admission that she had ruined things (I had to laugh out loud when he panicked, wondering what exactly had been destroyed), but something was ruined in that he's lost hope in thinking of the future. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon.

Great part--thanks!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I loved the last scene! Though we sometimes get the feeling that they're progress is slow, it's just because we tend to forget how little time they've actually spent together. To me, Lois is right now making much more progress than could reasonably be expected. And it's great to see how Clark is able to forget is own problems and just come through for her. They're helping each other healing and you're writing it so wonderfully it's really easy to feel and get into.

Lois is completely off balance; she started out as the strong one, the one pulling them both forward. Well, no partnership can survive unbalanced and I think that's pretty much what we're seeing now.

"But if I cry, you'll want to hold me. And we're in bed. And that's going to be awkward."

"Not if we don't let it be awkward."

Lois rested her hand on his cheek. "Clark Kent," she said. "You are the most amazing person I have ever met."

Her eyes found his and rested there. She smiled.

"I love it when you smile," he said hoarsely.

"I love it when you smile," she replied.
What a wonderful way to wrap up their conversation.

So, since Trail is written, there's no way you're going to make us wait all the way until Monday for 20, is there? :rolleyes:

Cris
Top Banana
Top Banana
Really well done, Corrina. Lois' reticence is understandable and it's great to see Clark like himself and being there for her however she needs him to be. This part packed an emotional wallop! I wonder what the next steps down the road will be...

Looking forward to the trip to the beach! cool

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"I wish ... I wish we could go back to Wednesday when we were eating dinner together," she said wistfully.
Poor Lois. But... maybe she could go fly with Superman. Or, rather, he could fly alone, really fast, around the Earth, counterclockwise? And does this also work in the direction? As in, making part 20 appear faster?

"Until I destroyed it."
Finally. Talk... hyper

"Goodnight, Clark," she said.

"Goodnight, Lois," Clark replied. I love you.
Awww.... I did try to find something else to quote. But it's all so merged together. So, 'awww' really does summarize it well clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Joy Getting Clark out of the cell only gave him physical freedom. But they are moving forward.

Kathy

So were these difficult chapters for you to write?
Yes. I was working on 18 when I took a break. I always find the slower parts hard to write. I want to rush forward, but have to keep coming back when I realise there are big holes that need work.

I'm so glad it's still working OK smile

DW They are making progress, but it's a bit stop-start - which I think is realistic after what they've endured.

Laura Glad you liked the ending!

AntiK

So much of the imagery of your words is so beautiful,
Thank you. I think in pictures - maybe that's why it comes through in what I write huh

Cristina

They're helping each other healing
Yep - that is one of the central themes of this fic. Damage both Lois and Clark and explore how their love brings healing. smile

MozartMaid

Looking forward to the trip to the beach!
It takes some time to get there. (One day, just for fun, I'm going to write a story littered with lines such as 'Three weeks later ...' laugh )

Michael

But... maybe she could go fly with Superman. Or, rather, he could fly alone, really fast, around the Earth, counterclockwise?
Surprisingly, I know what you're referring to (I'm an LnC fan, not a Superman fan) - it didn't make much sense to me, though huh

Thanks, everyone.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard