Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#77834 03/13/11 08:15 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Cute, clever, enjoyable, and just plain fun. smile Another great effort, Bob. thumbsup

In fact, this reminds me of reading stories back in the early days of the fandom when stories didn't have to do anything but just be fun to read. No heavy plots, no need to be realistic in the real world ... just be a joy to read.

So kudos to you for leaving me with a big smile on my face. laugh

(Oh, and I definitely got the revelation at the end. smile )

Kathy

#77835 03/13/11 08:53 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi everyone,

I’m happy that this idea seemed to have worked so well. This story came to me essentially fully formed within minutes of reading Classicalla’s requests. I spent a few days trying to think of alternatives but once this idea had taken hold there was no shaking it. If I hadn’t been focused on finishing “And The Truth…” I would have posted this only a few days after I received the request.

So, where did this idea come from? Well, there are really two sources.

The first is personal. A LONG time ago, before I met TFB, there was a girl that I liked very much. We dated for about a year but there was always a problem. She didn’t taste right. When we kissed, there was always this very subtle taste that, to me, reminded me of tobacco. She didn’t smoke and I have a negative reaction to cigarette smoke that borders on an allergic response. That’s where Clark’s reaction to Cat came from.

There is also a 2nd element of personal history. When I was young, I remember a few times when I would get sick (like a bad cold or whatever) and for the time I was sick I had trouble eating because everything tasted like soap. I remember it happening two or three times and it was awful. That hasn’t happened since I was 10 or 11, but I still remember it clearly.

The other part of my inspiration was a few scenes from various TV shows by Bryan Fuller. In the Wonderfalls episode “Safety Canary” and the Pushing Daisies episode “Bitches” the characters talk about “compatible saliva” and kissing. That reference brought back my own personal history so that when the request was for multiple kisses between different people, this idea popped into my mind and the form of the story was in place.

I guess there are really two issues that I need to speak to:
1. Lois’s realization/The reveal: It wasn’t just the taste, but that was obviously a big clue. From the moment Lois revived him, Clark was much more Clark-like than Superman-like in his behavior. It was a combination of all the elements coming together. His look, the smiles, the way he looked in Clark’s clothes and bed and finally the kiss brought it all into focus.

As for the reveal itself, it was supposed to be very low-key. However, I don’t want it to be so soft as to be missed. I’m going to stare at that end and consider modifying it to make the reveal slightly more clear. It won’t change much, very likely not at all, but I will take another look.

2. What happens next? Both Corrina and TFB pointed out that this ending simply begs for a follow on. I would love to say that I’m working on a sequel, but I don’t know where to go from here. If an idea shows up, I’ll jump on it in a second, but for now nothing has come to mind.

Lets, see…

Lynn said:
brings new meaning to the phrase, "kiss and tell."
smile Yes, in some cases the kiss is the tell.

Joan said:
I was thinking if she saw Superman in Clark's bed wearing Clark's clothes that that in itself might be a give away.
As I said above, that was a contributing element.

Ann said:
As for giving someone mouth to mouth, isn't that called giving someone the kiss of life?
That’s right! Somehow, that connection never occurred to me.

EvelynC said:
Well, I decided to kiss my husband, all in the name of science of course!
Well, for the sake of full disclosure, I will say that what I taste when I kiss TFB is in here. smile (and she knows it) smile

Kathy said:
this reminds me of reading stories back in the early days of the fandom when stories didn't have to do anything but just be fun to read. No heavy plots, no need to be realistic in the real world ... just be a joy to read.
blush Thank you! blush

Thank you all so much and I have to thank Classicalla for the idea. I should get her to generate requests for all my stories.

Bob

#77836 03/14/11 10:48 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh, that great wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#77837 03/14/11 02:09 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Really enjoyed it, Bob. Thanks for sharing. Love seeing Lois in action taking care of business or in the this case Superman. Nice ending. thumbsup

#77838 03/14/11 06:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, my, I'm just now seeing this and I absolutely must go to bed. frown But I'll read it tomorrow and thank you, Bob! clap

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#77839 03/15/11 09:52 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
That was a nice little fic, Bob, and the subtle reveal was very subtle, I almost missed it, but it was sweet too. I also think that this story could do with a sequel, if you manage to think of one.

#77840 03/16/11 09:34 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Michael:
You said:
Did Lex's K cage blow up? Does this mean you just nixed HoL? will there be a sequel?
I figured that neither Lex nor Mrs. Cox build up that K-cage themselves. So, if it was built in a Lex Labs facility, what would happen if there happened to be an unrelated industrial accident while the cage was being constructed? So, in my vision, the cage itself didn’t blow up. Something in the room next door did. smile

Also, for the record, this question triggered some ideas that might be strong enough to use as the basis of a sequel. It won’t be soon, but I have jotted down some notes. smile

EmilyC:
I like “take charge” Lois. I fear that I spend too much time writing “soft and fuzzy” Lois. It’s fun to write the more “classic” Lois once in a while.

Classicalla:
I’m glad you found it. I hope you enjoy it. It was a good list. (I can never come up with good ficathon requests. I’m glad that others come up with such good ideas.)

Alisha:
the subtle reveal was very subtle, I almost missed it
I still think I’m going to leave it as is. As I said earlier, I felt a soft reveal fit this story. As for a sequel, like I said to Michael, I have some ideas.

Bob

#77841 03/16/11 10:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I also really liked the subtlety of your reveal in this. It was great! It reminds one to read carefully or you might miss something big!!! clap

EvelynC
#77842 03/18/11 09:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Spring 2011 ficathon story: This is for Classicalla
Thank you! This is the 2nd ficathon story you have written for me! smile

week-long team-building seminar
Ah-oh. Those team-building seminars are usually boring.

There had even been a seminar on lock picking.
Lois needed that, huh? :rolleyes:

Lois had spent the time looking for a crime, and hadn’t taken a single picture. Cat and Jimmy took pictures of men and women respectively. Clark had spotted a loose handrail on an employee staircase.
Clark is ever focused on safety which is a good thing! Jimmy, the photographer, must have had a bad day to not get better pics.

the only thing they had to drink was water.
Oh, my. Me hears Lois grumbling....

Maybe she could get him to go boy scout and sneak some coffee in for her.
Lois must think he’s Superman or something...

“We all want coffee, Lois. Stop whining about it and listen.”
I think it would have been very interesting if Cat had stayed on the show.

It turns out that everyone has a base level of biological compatibility with other people.
Did you make this up?

Cat pounced on Clark
Very Cat-like. Smoke and salt and tar and spiciness and bleach... soap. Okay, from now on I may have to think of Jimmy as “Bubbles”.

she realized that while he may not be chocolate, he did have a nice, clean taste.
Chocolate would have been so much more fun. smile

Not only did Clark taste good, she’d enjoyed kissing him. Really enjoyed it.
And that is not a bad thing, Lois.

Was it something about Lex or did this mean that every man she kissed for the rest of her life would taste like a skunk?
Since you made him taste like a skunk, I’ll forgive his presence. laugh (And he was really only mentioned.)

He’d always had a little bit of a crush on her.
Just a little one, Lois?

she was sure there was a rule in there about not pulling out anything
Yep, there sure is, but it is still instinctual to do so.

Lois was almost surprised when the air went in and came back out just like in the training dummy.
It’s actually way easier on a person than those stupid dummies. (But the compressions are pretty much the same and very tiring.)

Or to be more precise, she was sure she couldn’t taste him.
I sense a revelation coming.

she felt an editorial in the Planet’s future about helping in emergency situations.
Sounds like a sequel to me.

“You don’t need to stay,” Superman said. “I’ll be fine.”
Martyr complex.

A real kiss.
A long kiss.
A wonderful kiss.

And he kissed back.
And he meant it.
And he tasted good.
clap

That kiss was a game changer. She knew it. She was sure that Superman – Clark – knew it as well.
A great way to end the story.

This is the 2nd time I've gotten to write a story for Classicalla in a ficathon. I was happy to have a chance to do it again.
smile

Oh, I hope the fact that Lex gets mentioned, but doesn't appear, still meets the spirit of the request.
Well, since he is only mentioned.... Yes.

I was thinking a bit more about the story. Thank goodness Perry sent Jimmy and not Ralph!
rotflol

TFB
I’m glad she agreed, because I like the title better, too.

I ditto the "ditto the ditto".
Well, I agree, especially since I already said so.

I got it on my first read that Lois had figured out that Clark=Superman. (But it was still subtle.)

Thank you all so much and I have to thank Classicalla for the idea. I should get her to generate requests for all my stories.
I’m sure I can come up with a few!

Sorry I took so long to get back to you! (I’ve had a horrible week.) I loved the story!

party

P.S: I've had stuff taste like soap when I'm sick, too.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#77843 03/22/11 12:28 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
EvelynC:
You said:
I also really liked the subtlety of your reveal in this.
Thank you. I'm glad it worked.

Classicalla:
I'm glad you were finally able to read this. Don't worry about the delay. This past year has been a lesson to me in how RL can take all of your time.
I think it would have been very interesting if Cat had stayed on the show.
I agree. Her character had a lot of potential. I would have liked to have seen that she was a mix of true professional journalist with the heart of a party girl. Too much of S1 focused of the "party" elements. I would have loved to see later seasons explore the her as a journalist. Too bad we'll never know.

Did you make this up?
I took some liberties. However, as I said in that one note above, I did have a girlfriend that never tasted quite right. So, who knows? huh

Since you made him taste like a skunk, I’ll forgive his presence.
Thanks. I actually wrote a draft of this with no mention of Lex but it wasn't as strong. Then I tried to develop a story that was in a different time frame... again the story wasn't as strong. So, I ended up going with this and asking for tolerance of the references to L-man.

Yep, there sure is, but it is still instinctual to do so.
Yeah. Both Bev and I used to be CPR certified. But even if Lois had remembered, I think she would have pulled out that Kryptonite bar. I mean really - it was glowing green! Also, I believe the rules for CPR back in 1994 were 15/2 instead of 30/2. However, they are 30/2 now so that's what I went with. Jimmy and Lois went to a very advanced (temporally) CPR class.

And finally, I have collected a few notes for a possible sequel, but I can't guarantee anything. Between this and "And The Truth..." I feel somewhat burned out for the region around BaP and HoL. I need some time somewhere else.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard