Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Corrina, in case you were wondering why I didn't ask you to BR the ficathon story I was writing -- now you know the reason! laugh I hope you like the story.

As always, all feedback welcomed.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
What, you want even more feedback? You're truly insatiable. :p

What I really liked about your story is that you manage to characterize everyone so perfectly that I just don't have the words to describe it. I think that you did find a very great way of shining a new light on Jonathan, with him being a Trekkie and all. Who would have thought?

Of course, there is one little favorite I have. Because I definitely laughed about Lois' choice of C-things to be thankful for. Chinese takeout, indeed. goofy

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Kerth
Kerth
Wow! Lovely story, Lynn.

I usually don't give feedback straight after reading. I like to think through a story before responding - so this is 'first impressions'.

Would you believe - I didn't see the kiss coming - even though I asked for it. blush

And the Hawks won!! That's always good. (On Saturday, I'm going to my first game for the year smile1 It's only a practice game and all I really want is to get out of it with no injuries, but I'm still hyper )

This was really lovely. You took my prompts and weaved them into a sweet story. And I really appreciate the insight into Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate it at all.

Thank you!! You did a great (and fast) job!

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, Lynn! You're setting the ficathon bar very high! smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terrific despite it being off season! Very nice.

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Love the unexpected kiss! That was great! And Jonathon being a Trekie is lots of fun. You did an impressive job of incorporating the prompts yet creating a solid story as well. And the speed at which you wrote this? dizzy Impressive.

Features Writer
Features Writer
This was just beautiful. I'm in awe of how skillfully you wove in the character and motives of each person simply by listing their thanksgiving thoughts and how natural you made it all seem, not forced or stilted at all.

I love thanksgiving and often feel it is somewhat overlooked, so I was delighted to see that you chose that for your season. And you handled it so respectfully, it was amazing.

I think my favorite lines were when Lois thought on how subtly Clark had interwoven himself into her life and how she couldn't imagine it without him. I also really enjoyed Jonathan's reason for loving Star Trek--so profound considering who his son is, sitting right at his side.

The end was incredibly satisfactory--I'll bet Clark never enjoyed losing so much in his life!

Thanks for sharing.

Kerth
Kerth
Back again with some more-thought-out FDK.

“It also discussed aliens in a mature fashion; it showed them to be as complex as humans and with similar motivations. Up until that point, most aliens were just depicted as bug-eyed monsters intent upon earth’s destruction. I sometimes wonder whether Superman would have been received as well by the general public if ‘Star Trek’ had never aired.
Coming from the alien's 'father', this is great. Wikipedia says that the original series started airing in 1966 - the same year Clark arrived IIRC. Is that one of the reasons you chose Star Trek?

Chrysanthemums or 'mums flower here around Mother's Day in May. Move it six months and it would be near Thanksgiving in the US, right?

I love that it was a Hawks victory that paved the way for Lois to kiss Clark.

I had to laugh that Clark disappeared to the bathroom and wasn't there to say goodbye to Lois. Considering Martha had been cooking (not Lois), he wouldn't have had an easy excuse.

Again, Lynn, Thanks so much for your story. I'm smile1 that you managed to bring footy (of sorts wink ) into the fic, and I have to say that that English teacher Lois had sounds just a bit like me!

And the whole Thanksgiving scene/atmosphere was exactly what I was hoping for.

thumbsup Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Really enjoyed this, Lynn. thumbsup I bet Clark was never so glad to see the home team lose. sloppy

ETA - Woohoo, I'm now a 'Hack from Nowheresville'!

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I really enjoyed this too! thumbsup

The unexpected kiss was great and I am sure that Clark was very pleased to have a home team loose laugh

smile

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Wow! What a wonderful response to my debut as a ficathon author. Thank you! smile1

Lara, My response to your post was: smile1

Would you believe - I didn't see the kiss coming - even though I asked for it.
Well, you *did* ask for an *unexpected* kiss. wink

Chrysanthemums typically flower late summer into fall (autumn) around here. I wish I could take credit for thinking about the blooming season, but I was just trying to come up with a flower that began with 'c', and the other flower which came readily to mind was the coreopsis, which is not as well-known as mums.

I can, however, take credit for having thought through the Star Trek allusion. I was very much thinking of the fact that Jonathan had recently adopted a small possible-alien at the time the show first aired. I'm sure that that gave him the added incentive to watch the show from the very beginning.

I was ecstatic when I saw that the Seahawks actually played the Kansas team over that Thanksgiving weekend. I hadn't expected to be able to bring the game so close to home for the Kents. Definitely a case of serendipity.

Just for the record, AFAIK, the turning the statements of thanksgiving into a game is something I invented. Many families (though by no means all) do go around the table once to say what they are thankful for, but I've never heard of it being turned into a category game.

Iolanthe, I'm flattered! And thanks once again to you and Lara for your super-quick beta reading. As you know, Corrina usually BRs all of my stories, and I wanted to have this posted before she started to get suspicious about why I wasn't asking her to BR my ficathon story. You and Lara set the bar for turnaround time for BR-ing quite high! And neither of you traded thoroughness for speed; you both gave me a lot of good feedback. Thank you! smile

Laura, it would have been nice to have something in-season, but we're too late for Groundhog Day, and Valentine's Day, which we're still slightly late for, is widely celebrated outside of the U.S., I believe. Does it help that it is almost autumn in Australia? wink

Joan, as I mentioned above, I had added incentive for writing the story as quickly as possible, and the prompts I was given really helped me to do so.

AntiKryptonite, thank you for your lovely feedback. It brightened my day as much as mums brighten Martha's. smile

Emily, congratulations you hack, you! wink I know the feeling -- I was happy when I became a Hack from Nowheresville and a little saddened when I was "promoted" to Beat Reporter. But soon I hope to be a Top Banana. smile

DW, I agree that Clark would probably never be happier to lose a bet than he was in this story. And to think that had he won, he had been thinking (at least teasingly) of having Lois clean his apartment. How unromantic can you get?! I wonder what he actually would have asked of her if he had won the bet.

Thanks again one and all for all the FDK.

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oooh very very nice! Loved it!

I love the Thanksgiving ritutal - very neat tradtion.

Thank you for this little gem!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! Great start to the ficathon, Lynn! Cute to make Jonathan a Trekkie. wink Loved the unexpected kiss, too! hyper

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
That was a really sweet story, Lynn, and well written. It's a tough act for the rest of us taking part in the ficathon to follow...

- Alisha (who may well just be speaking for herself in that last statement blush )

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Bellarase, thanks. I had fun coming up with the Kent family's twist on the more typical tradition.

MozartMaid, Somehow, I can't really picture Jonathan wandering around a Star Trek convention, but I am having fun trying. smile

Alisha, wow! Coming from the author of the most powerful L&C story I have ever read, or am ever likely to, that is quite a compliment!

Thanks again to all who left FDK. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Michael,

Thanks. Glad you liked the story. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love Thanksgiving. I think it's actually my favorite holiday for family get-togethers. This past year, I got to see relatives I hadn't seen in at least 35 years. (Ooooh, I'm starting to tell my age here, aren't I?)

I loved the mention of the TV shows.

“You’re a Trekkie?!”
But I have to wonder... Wouldn't Jonathan had corrected Lois and told her he was a trekker - not a trekkie?

It brought up all sorts of social issues that would normally never have gotten past the censors, and it did so in ways that were usually entertaining rather than preachy.
I always think of the "black and white" kiss that was a first on TV. (Uhura and Captain Kirk kissed.) Among other things I think of is the declaration by Uhura where she said that she was not a "maiden" made it right past the censors. (She actually replied, "Neither," in reply to Sulu calling her a fair maiden.)

“So yes, I have been a Trekker since day one.”
Ah! He did!

“Mom, those birds are bullies!”
Not nearly as much as bluejays.

Elephants were stomping around in Lois’ stomach.
This is a great metaphor!

Awww.... I loved the kiss.

But stuffing is generally made with rice or bread (possibly fried) as the base.
Wow! Really? I've never had stuffing with rice in it. That sounds interesting. My mom used to make a fantastic pecan stuffing. (She also made a mean pie - any kind you'd want - that would rival Martha's.)

I was happy when I became a Hack from Nowheresville and a little saddened when I was "promoted" to Beat Reporter. But soon I hope to be a Top Banana.
Well, I've only got about 2000 or so posts to move up to the next level. Sigh...

Great story, Lynn.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the FDK. I'm glad you pointed out that Trekkie/Trekker bit from the story. Although it was a relatively minor story point, it was one I was proud of.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard