Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
"Will you fly me to Metropolis, please?"

"Metropolis?" he exclaimed sharply. "We can't go -"

"Will you fly me to Metropolis, please?" Lois repeated calmly.

"What for?"

"I'll explain on the way."

He looked around the room. "Should we pack the car first?"

"No. We'll only be a few minutes."

Lois took a couple of swift steps towards Clark and leapt into his arms. He caught her - as she knew he would.

"Metropolis?" he said dubiously.
Thanks.

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Awww... I was so enjoying this. Clark driving. Walking down the street eating ice cream. The sharing of their fears. Clark gathering Lois to him as she tells him the story of Linda. This:

Comfort that flowed unerringly into all the crevices of her heart where pain had festered. Comfort that carried healing.

And such sweet love.
Just when you've got me lulled into a feeling of comfort and hope, Clark goes and thinks:
It had been his greatest fear - and now he was sure.

He could never be what Lois needed.
Aaarg! wallbash

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I second the 'aargh'. I hope Clark doesn't go all noble.

Loved this chapter, even with the subject matter. Looking forward to seeing why Lois wants to go to metropolis!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Clark driving and the ice cream part was really sweet.

I am so glad you addressed what you did in their talk about the great fears smile1

smile

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, this is Clark, after all. Of course he's going to try to be noble and give Lois her freedom (for her own good). Luckily, this Lois isn't going to let him. She's smart and knows what she wants. She will save him from himself.
grovel

Clark is actually doing really, really well. I don't know if it was his coping mechanism during his years of captivity, but he's adjusting to his freedom very rapidly. I know Lois is a little impatient (this is Lois, after all laugh ), but she seems able to realize that Clark needs time. Her instincts haven't let her down yet, so I'm sure she'll continue to give Clark what he needs to adjust.

Eventually, what Clark needs may just be a place of his own and a job at the greatest newspaper in the world. He'll need to build up a freelancing portfolio first. Oh, and he'll need a writing partner, of course. :p

The real test may be when Clark has to face Moyne again. Since Linda was able to untie Lois' feet, I suspect that Lois was able to defeat Ivica and Elan (with both hands tied behind her back!), but probably had to kill one or both of them to escape. Yes, that would be a terrible thing, but the worst part for Lois might be the survivor's guilt. She probably wishes she could have figured out how to defeat them in time to save Linda. This Clark may have to face a similar choice if/when he faces Moyne again. How far will he go to save himself? How far would he go to save Lois? And where will Menzies be during the face-off?

You've done a great job with your original characters. I both dislike and pity Menzies and I'm still totally creeped out by Moyne. I'm not going to even try to speculate about how or when Lois and Clark will encounter him again, but I'm sure they will be able to handle it together.

I didn't mention it before, but the far-fetched idea that Clark and Lois would stop at a diner run by a certain petite, former farmer's wife occurred to me, too. I knew you wouldn't have them find Martha that way, but that didn't stop me from thinking it.

Looking forward to the next installment.
B

Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
You can't possibly leave us hanging here?!?! You can't have Clark be a lunkhead and runaway! Not fair, Corrina!!! wildguy

Lovely part. That Lois ended up telling him more than she intended shows how much she trusts him and how confortable and safe she feels with him. But now you need to make Clark see that! Not that she didn't give him the whole story, but how important it is that she said as much as she did and that she just needs time to go the whole way, just as he needs time to believe in their relationship, to adjust to life in the real world...

Please don't keep us hanging too long! grovel

Cris
Features Writer
Features Writer
There's a lot of small touches in this part that I really enjoyed--the way Lois watched Clark's hands as he drove, the way they both chose their ice cream, the observation that this is the first time in a long time for both Lois and Clark to be carefree, the complete openness in the way they talk to each other and almost bluntly ask the questions they're thinking about. And of course, my very favorite, the way they can both read the other so well. Hearing Clark ask her what was wrong even when she hadn't said anything yet was great.

It was pretty tragic hearing what had happened to Lois. My favorite part through it all was how Clark took her hand, and the imagery you evoked as you had that touch leading her through the darkness. Both of them are the bright lights shining through the black, as you pointed out, and I love how they're relying on each other.

The way they talked about their fears was so poignant, and intense despite the fact that all they're doing is lying on the bed talking to each other. I'm glad Lois knows how to address Clark's fears even if she can't totally allay them, and I'm relieved that Clark took hearing her fears so well.

Clark is always ready to sacrifice for others, especially Lois, so I'm not surprised that he's come to the conclusion he's not right for her. It's what he's been working himself up to for quite a while now, and I knew it was coming, but I have no doubt that they'll get through this. I just can't wait to see how you do it!

Thanks.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to all said here. I feel like it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I suppose that will be the way of it throughout this fiction until they get past all of it. I hope there is a real kiss in the near future to take away some of our angst at least! More soon. Laura wink

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Merriwether
Merriwether
What a wonderful, sweet, romantic day they had ... and what a heartbreaking ending to it. It's tragic that Clark can't see yet that he already is exactly who she needs him to be. But it makes sense that his emotions would still be all over the place and that he will be on a mental roller coaster for a long time. I hope he'll figure out soon that Lois' being willing to tell him what she went through means that he already is that person for her.

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, another wellcrafted mix between waffy fun and soulwrenching heartache. I, for one, am grabbing on to the memory of how Lois escaped. After all, we already got a glimpse that she managed to slip away while Ivica (?) was still focused on Linda. But then, you could always pull an unreliable narrator on us help

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
"I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm desperately hoping that you will fall in love with *me*. Not the guard. Not the woman who gave you reasonable living conditions. Not the woman who took the poison from your shoulder. Not the woman who helped you escape. Just me. Lois."
It's funny... these lines (slightly altered, of course) could just as easily be canon Clark needing Lois to love him for himself and not Superman. wink

She needed someone to help her.

Someone whole. Someone human. Someone who would know instinctively what she needed.

And Clark wasn't that person.
wallbash I too hope Clark doesn't take this *noble* (lunkheaded, more like!) thought to heart... but I have a feeling he might... at least for a little while... just hope it's short lived. grovel

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
LOVELY!!!!!!!

I was so happy when I saw the new part, I was expecting it in at least a few more days. THANK YOU

Can't wait for the new part

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great part! I thought this same thing as Mozartmaid regarding this part, sounds so very familiar:
-------------------------------------------------
" I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm desperately hoping that you will fall in love with *me*. Not the guard. Not the woman who gave you reasonable living conditions. Not the woman who took the poison from your shoulder. Not the woman who helped you escape. Just me. Lois."
-------------------------------------------------
Mozartmaid: It's funny... these lines (slightly altered, of course) could just as easily be canon Clark needing Lois to love him for himself and not Superman.

Wonderful moments and of course Clark is being a lunkhead, but Lois will get him past it with time, but I imagine it is going to take a lot of time for him to improve his self-image and of course he is all about self-sacrifice so it is a challenge for him anyway to think of himself too as Lois is trying to get him to do. Some of this: hyper

EvelynC
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Another great part.Thanks for it. You open so perspective with those last stories. thumbsup

It was an interesting development : they dare to talk about their greatest fear, it a big step forward. I'm glad Lois told him so truthfully what she needs, what she fears the most. Clark really needs to understand the depth feeling Lois has for him.
But it was frustrating to watch Clark struggle again with himself because he thinks he doesn't worth Lois, because he thinks he is not good enough, "human" enough for her. Clark has a the most noble heart than we have ever seen, but he must stop being so chivalrous. He will never judge anyone by his origins, so even if I understand Trask put him down, he must understand he deserves to have a normal life with the woman he loves.
It's not because he is from another planet, that he is less human. Lois told him he was the most caring person she has ever known, he needs to see it too. However I understand we have like Lois to be patient with him, but I am sure in time he will see like we do.

I am impatient to read why Lois wants to go to Metropolis. Good continuation, keep going.

Friendly, Hannah.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Vicki Sorry about lulling you into thinking everything is going well. This is a 'Trail' - a bumpy and sometimes difficult path. wink

Bellarase Clark's already gone all noble! But to every action, there is a reaction laugh

DW

In a way, they have to get to know each other (in a whole different, more normal, setting than in the prison and even now, "running" still isn't normal).
True.

I also get a feeling that there is more to the story - the part between Linda's death and Lois' escape. But I am sure we will get that part, right?
From part 8

When she looked up, his partly formed smile simmered with encouragement. "It's uncanny how you do that," she said.

"That isn't what you were about to say."

Lois chuckled. "Is reading my mind a superpower?"

His eyes crinkled with amusement. "What were you going to say?"
Did that make it any clearer? Or just confused ?

Brenda Great character analysis!

Your speculation is fascinating. As I read it, I could see how the story could, quite believably, go in those directions (except for perhaps the 'petite former farmer's wife' wink )

Cristina

That Lois ended up telling him more than she intended shows how much she trusts him and how confortable and safe she feels with him.
Yep!

AntiK

It's what he's been working himself up to for quite a while now, and I knew it was coming,
Thank you. Even with Clark's reputation for 'nobleness' there had to be background for his belief that he can't be what Lois needs.

Laura

I feel like it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back.
You've hit on one of the difficulties in the fic. Realistically, I think Clark's recovery would take months, perhaps even years. But to write it in that timeframe is problematic - too long and too repetitive (the 'one step back' has to be recovered.) The story has to feel like it is always moving forward, even if Clark isn't.

I have a solution which I'm working up to. wink

Kathy

But it makes sense that his emotions would still be all over the place and that he will be on a mental roller coaster for a long time.
Yes. And as I said above, documenting each little step forward over a long period is probably going to drag.

I hope he'll figure out soon that Lois' being willing to tell him what she went through means that he already is that person for her.
I am willing to reveal this - he'll get it next time. This Clark has reason to be lunkheaded, but he's not!

Michael

After all, we already got a glimpse that she managed to slip away while Ivica (?) was still focused on Linda.
Did we? confused Do you remember where? (I might need to do some editing blush )

you could always pull an unreliable narrator on us
No - not intending to do that. wink

MozartMaid

It's funny... these lines (slightly altered, of course) could just as easily be canon Clark needing Lois to love him for himself and not Superman
Exactly. I heavily borrowed from that!

Seme The kids are back at school, so I'm trying to post about once every three days. It might slow up a bit while I write my ficathon assignment.

Evelyn

but I imagine it is going to take a lot of time for him to improve his self-image
Yes - but I have a shortcut in mind. Two, actually!

Hannah Good point. Clark would never look down on someone merely because of their birth country/planet/status etc. But he isn't yet at the point where he expects others to do that for him.

A/N - I once knew an Ivica. He pronounced his name I-vit-sa. (The first sound as it 'bit' not 'bite'.) I used his name for its foreign sound, not because he was anything like the Ivica in my fic smile

Thanks to those who are still reading and a big thanks to everyone who left FDK. I appreciate your thoughts and comments so much.

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a great part. Just lying in bed together 'chatting' after a fun day of driving and ice cream...

At least they got some things out in the open though I can't believe (actually I can) that Clark twisted Lois's tears into himself not being adequate. Might as well throw in one more, Argh!

"My two greatest fears are sort of the same. One is that I'll never be able to truly convince you that what I feel for you is not pity or compassion or sympathy but the real feelings of a woman for a man."
Have I mentioned lately how much I love this Lois? B/c I really do.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sorry, don't remember the part. I just remember it was in there. The scene was Lois remembering her escape. Probably at the end of TMTY-1.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard