Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Again, Lois fought against the compulsion to reach forward and connect with Clark. There was such hurt in his eyes. Why was she noticing it so clearly today? Because of the topics they were discussing? Or because he was letting down his guard and allowing her to see his suffering?

Was he beginning to trust her?

Or had something happened to her that meant his pain had become her pain?

Suddenly, there was a flash of movement, and Clark was on his feet. "Someone's coming," he said. He swept her into his arms, and the next thing Lois knew she was at the doorway. She stepped into the staffroom and locked the cell door. She put her half-eaten lunch on the table and began pouring a cup of coffee.

A knock sounded on the external door.
Thanks!

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
AHHHH! Awesome part! but now I have to wait for the next one...

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Another good part. hail
I'm not sure how I feel about Shadbolt. I can't decide if he's sneaky or if he's coming around. I hope Clark isn't sad (from the preview) because he heard Lois talking to the other two guards and is doubting her feelings. It'd be understndable if he was, after all he's been through, but I hope he understands she's just being careful all the same. Well done! And now I wait for the next part.... laugh

I heart Clark Kent.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oooh, I loved this! I didn't know what to make of the preview, but it appears that it will be a blessing in disguise, as now Lois can make all sorts of changes without causing alarm. First on the list: shave and a haircut!

Although, *if* Lois goes to Smallville, and *if* she goes to the Kent farmhouse, and *if* she goes inside, and *if* things are still as they were 7 years ago, she should see pictures of Clark without his beard and long hair.

So, I was wrong about the operation being related to his not talking, but it looks like I might have been right about it being the reason he doesn't go near the door. Poor Clark.

I loved the way Lois handled things. I don't know what to think about Shadbolt. I'm sad I have to wait for more! laugh

ETA: I forgot to say, I think what her dad was trying to say was that she appears to be in love with the man she talks about so much from work.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I also loved this part and am looking forward to more Lois and Clark interaction in the next part laugh .

Her dad's hand rose from the tray and moved to the centre of his chest.

He slowly curled his fingers to a clenched fist and patted his sweatshirt.

"I don't understand," Lois said regretfully. "I'm sorry."

His forefinger straightened, and he pointed at her.

"You love me?" Lois asked uncertainly. She knew he did, but she wasn't sure that that was what he was trying to say.

Did that mean 'no'?
I (think I) know what her dad was trying to say ... that she is in love (with the nice man she told him about).

I also don't know what to make of Shadbolt ... could he possibly be reporting to the higher-up? Yes, but he does seem to have some doubts about the whole alien operation. Moyne, on the other hand, is more sneaky and his uncle is a very higher-up.

Looking forward to part 13! and where Lois goes to Smallville? smile1

smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
"I thought I'd watch him from my office, and when he goes behind the wall, I'll go in with a rod. He'll collapse there, so I wouldn't have to move him. Someone working on the door wouldn't be able to see into that part of the cell."

"You'd have to stand there with a rod while he's working on the door," Shadbolt said. "How would you explain that?"

Lois let a tiny smile unfurl. "I've thought about that," she said. "I'll go in and pretend to be another worker - probably a painter would be easiest. I'll paint the wall, keep the rod close, and watch the prisoner."
I'm wondering if Lois is actually starting to think of another plan and this would just be good subterfuge to...create a diversion and get Clark out of there??? smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
Me again. smile I was just reading Mozartmaid's post and had to confess that when I first read Lois's plan to sneak up on Clark and knock him out with Kryptonite, for a second there I took her at her word. - I was like, oh my goodness, I can't believe she would do that to him! Talk about a betrayal of trust! Then I realized, of course, that it was all for Shadbolt's benefit and that she intended to have the door installed when she was alone with Clark. duh. :rolleyes:

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very interesting update. I was torn between being intrigued by Lois's interaction with Longford and Shadbolt and wanting her just to get back into the cell with Clark! And now we have to wait for that, *pouts* laugh

I can't quite figure out where everyone stands. I can imagine being awakened in the middle of the night by noise coming from the "alien's" prison cell would be disconcerting. So I can see the source of Longford's unease; otherwise I would have thought him the least affected of the two.

The surprising one is Shadbolt. He seems to have genuinely reassessed the situation and to have been doing damage control for Lois. I hope he is what he seems rather than having some hidden secret agenda insinuating himself in Lois's good graces.

As he says, he ensured that the alien can *never* leave the cell."
Through the door... maybe Clark can bust through the roof and fly out?

The surgery - GAH! So it is an implant. The worst part is thinking about how they will have to remove it. Will Lois have to expose him to Kryponite to make him vulnerable to a scalpel? Maybe Clark could use his heat vision to perform an excision?

I hadn't known what Lois's father was saying but like what others are guessing.

The doggie door is a great idea, and with no one else around Lois can just ask Clark to stand behind the wall during the installation. Then we can get to that shave and a hair cut - woohoo!

And I can't get away w/o a preview mention... I hope Clark's sadness is not related to what he could have overheard Lois saying this morning. Or at the very least if it is, that he discusses it with Lois. Or maybe she'll bring it up to clear the air in the first place.

So does Santa have access to your hard drive? B/c he's going to need it to grant my wish of another update STAT! smile Merry Christmas in the mean time.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I didn't mean for the preview to suggest that there was a problem b/t Lois and Clark. Just prior to this bit, they are discussing the murders. The hurt in Clark's eyes is about remembering how everyone (except Lois) believes he is a killer.

As I've said before, I don't put much thought into the previews blush I chose this one so you'd know there's going to be an unexpected visitor.

No time for full replies. I hoping to get 21 to the BRs smile1

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow things are getting tense again. I hope they don't have to use the rods. Can't wait for more. It is a slow process. Hopefully all hell doesn't break loose for Clark. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
OOOOeeeeeee!!! eek

Keep 'em coming, keep 'em coming! Please keep those parts coming quickly! hyper

EvelynC
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Absolutely wonderful! My husband has me pegged when I come home from work. "Are you going to check e-mail first or see if there's a new chapter to that story?" clap

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -- Albert Einstein
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Another good part. hail
I'm not sure how I feel about Shadbolt. I can't decide if he's sneaky or if he's coming around. I hope Clark isn't sad (from the preview) because he heard Lois talking to the other two guards and is doubting her feelings. It'd be understndable if he was, after all he's been through, but I hope he understands she's just being careful all the same. Well done! And now I wait for the next part.... laugh

I heart Clark Kent.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Corrina,

I'm confused huh by your preview and wonder if you need an adjustment in the pronouns for the following in the following (3rd sentence):

Or because he was letting down his guard and allowing her to see his suffering?

Was he beginning to trust her?

Or had something happened to her that meant his pain had become her pain?
In other words, did you mean for the 3rd sentence to read like this?
"Or had something happened to him that meant her pain had become his pain?"

Right now it makes more sense to me this way, but it certainly may not to you.

Thanks for your wonderful story!!! notworthy

EvelynC
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by EvelynC:
In other words, did you mean for the 3rd sentence to read like this?
"Or had something happened to him that meant her pain had become his pain?"

Right now it makes more sense to me this way, but it certainly may not to you.
Hmm... I read this as Lois wondering if she had become so much involved in the case, that she has formed a personal bond with the subject and is now able to emphasize with him to a degree that’s much more appropriate for lovers or best friends than it is for a warden and a prisoner.

She intended to be at the travel agents when it opened. She needed to book a seat on the first airplane to Wichita on Wednesday morning and a return flight during the afternoon. She estimated that she would have three hours in Smallville. It was a lot of travelling for such a short time, but she couldn't leave Clark for longer than a day.
Good plan. Wonder what is going to derail it. Also, what will the towns folk say when Lois asks what had happened to the owners of the derelict farm. “The Kents? Yes, I do remember them. They looked like such nice people. Couldn’t believe it when the government came and took them away. I always say to Father that it’s always the quiet ones that you have to watch out for. But still, domestic terrorism and gun running? The drug farm, that is possible given their remote fields. And that Jonathan Kent never accepted help. But I guess the least surprising one was the Internet religion scam his wife ran. Never trusted her tinkering with them electronic stuff.”

"During the night, Longford heard a low pounding noise coming from the cell."
goofy Talk about the weakest link.

"A pet door would enable us to get food into the cell without having to open the door."
Finally!

"I'd have to use the rods."
Huh, how’s she going to do that?

The surgery.

The little lump just above Clark's collarbone.
Oh boy!

"If you're saying that you love me, Dad, I know that," Lois said with a smile. "I've always known how much you love me."

His eyes blinked twice.
Didn’t figure it out myself but reading the FDK, I think the others are right. He’s telling her that she has feelings for The Man.

I did wonder if we would get a nice Christmas surprise and here it is! hyper

/yay/ for the update and a Merry Christmas!
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
EXCELLENT story!!!!!!!!!! I check my phone everyday to see if there's a new part. I'm so addicted.

I love this version of Lois. She's so caring and open.

More soon plz

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I read that part again that I had questioned, and it made a lot more sense to me now. Maybe I was too tired when I first read it. blush

I certainly appreciate all the other comments on that and other things that helped me out, too! thumbsup

EvelynC
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Joy The waiting ... sorry! wink

Jen

I'm not sure how I feel about Shadbolt.
This part was really hard to get right. I think I wrote it three times - and the problem was getting Shadbolt to come across the way I wanted him to.

Vicki

Although, *if* Lois goes to Smallville, and *if* she goes to the Kent farmhouse, and *if* she goes inside, and *if* things are still as they were 7 years ago, she should see pictures of Clark without his beard and long hair.
This is a bit of a spoiler, but I will say that having Lois see Clark for the first time sans beard and long hair in a photo would probably diminish the effect.

I forgot to say, I think what her dad was trying to say was that she appears to be in love with the man she talks about so much from work.
Glad you got it - Lois will, too.

DW

I (think I) know what her dad was trying to say ... that she is in love
Sam can't speak, but that doesn't mean he can't see things - and he knows his daughter. And, although there's no way to say it explicitly in the fic, it would seem likely that Lois has never been this way about a man before.

MozartMaid

L&C against the world...
... is always fun!

So curious what Lois can accomplish in Smallville in 3 hours...
Perhaps a little like a doctor trying to diagnose an illness (she is a doctor's daughter wink ) she is going to start with the easiest possibility (that M&J are in Smallville) and confirm or discount that first.

She also has another little plan which she hasn't shared with Clark yet wink

Emily Yeah, this part was a drought between the last (hair-washing) part and the next which also has a lot of interaction.

So does Santa have access to your hard drive? B/c he's going to need it to grant my wish of another update STAT! Merry Christmas in the mean time.
Look in your stocking! laugh

Laura

Hopefully all hell doesn't break loose for Clark.
............. thud

Evelyn

I'm writing as fast as I can ... and I really appreciate your enthusiasm.

And later - perhaps it should read -

Or had something happened inside her that meant his pain had become her pain?
Thanks for letting me know. It's a fine line between stating the obvious and leaving everyone confused.

LadyMoira LOL about your husband.

Michael

Wonder what is going to derail it.
Would you believe me if I said 'nothing'?

she has feelings for The Man.
Always!

Seme Glad you're reading along.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful FDK. I haven't had much time to write the past few days, but I have a big buffer so parts should continue to arrive every 2-3 days.

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
hehe. Yeah, that was why I listed all those "if"s. I rather suspected one or more of those conditions might not be filled. But don't tell me which one(s). I'll find out as I read about her trip to Smallville. wink Which, BTW. I'm very anxious to do!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard