The phone was ringing as Clark shut the front door of his apartment. He groaned inwardly. After the day he'd had, he wasn't in the mood to talk to anybody. Well, maybe his parents...

His parents! Had they heard? Somehow, he was sure they had. After the story broke on Hot Copy that morning, it had been picked up by TV news stations all over the country.

He felt like crawling under a boulder. It was one thing to talk about, well, reproduction with his parents. It was quite another thing to have it splashed all over the news that he -- well, technically his alter ego, but still a part of him -- had gotten a woman pregnant and left her to raise her son alone. If any of it HAD been true, his parents would have every right to lecture him from here to the moon, but... it wasn't true. Surely they knew that. Surely they would have nothing but sympathy for him.

Clark edged toward the phone, but before he reached it, it stopped ringing. He fell onto the couch and sighed deeply. What. A. Day. HE knew he wasn't the boy's father, but how to make everyone else believe that? Especially when everyone else could see with their own eyes that this kid could fly, tear down walls, and make craters in his backyard. It was so fantastic in and of itself, it wasn't that much of a stretch to also believe, while you were at it, that the boy was biologically connected to Superman. And with the boy's mother insisting Superman WAS the father....

He closed his eyes and began running his mind through the events of the late afternoon. After he and Lois had returned to the Planet after visiting with Michelle Driver, they'd spoken to Perry about what she'd said. Perry told them to get hold of Superman. Lois said that's what they intended to do. Then both Perry and Lois had looked pointedly at Clark. Clark had sighed, said he'd try to contact Superman, and left. Twenty minutes later, he'd returned to say that he'd spoken with Superman and gotten Superman's take on the matter: "'I'm not the father.'" His exact words, Clark had said.

"What else did he say?" Lois had wanted to know.

"What else do you want?" Clark asked, forgetting himself for a minute.

Now, Clark's phone was ringing again. He reached over to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Clark, honey, are you all right?"

"Hi, Mom. Yeah, I'm okay...."

"What on Earth is going on? On TV -- that boy... well, we saw him fly, and--"

"I know, Mom, I know... but I don't know how it's possible. Perry put Lois and me on the story, and we went to the boy's house this afternoon, and he flew and he lifted things and -- I don't know what to think!"

"Clark?"

"Hi, Dad.”

"You say this boy definitely has powers?"

"Right."

“Could he be from Krypton?”

“Jonathan, he’s too young,” Martha reminded him.

“Maybe he has a Kryptonian parent here on Earth,” Jonathan offered.

“I don’t know, Dad,” Clark said. “Don’t you think if there were other Kryptonians here on Earth, one of them would have contacted Superman by now? Besides, this woman is claiming she once dated SUPERMAN... not just some random guy with powers, but... well... ME!”

“And speaking of Kryptonians,” said Martha. “If there’s one thing we know -- at least about you -- it’s that your powers came on gradually. Sure, as a child, you never got sick or hurt, but you certainly weren't doing any of those things they showed this little boy doing on TV! You didn’t start to fly until college.”

“Clark,” said Jonathan, “Do you think this boy could have something to do with that clone of yours?"

Thoughts whirled inside Clark's head. The clone! Of course! If someone had been able to clone Superman, then wasn't it also theoretically possible for them to genetically create a super child? He had no idea, but the thought sickened him. The clone had had a short life. To give a child such a life... who would do that? And for what purpose? If it was simply to create a being with superpowers for nefarious purposes, then why publicize it when the child was so young? Why not wait til the child was grown, til he could do his creator's bidding?

He relayed his thoughts to his parents, who agreed that this could definitely be a possibility, although a disturbing one. Clark promised to pursue that angle, and let them know if and when he had any more information to share.

After they said their goodbyes, Clark checked his watch. It was after 11, so he flipped on the TV to hear the day's sports scores. There was his image, splashed across the screen.

Big mistake.

"I just don't see how we, as a society, can trust Superman anymore," one woman was saying. "He's said he stands for truth and justice, but this? I think this proves otherwise. No man with morals would abandon his own child."

"I always admired Superman's principles. But having a relationship and a child out of wedlock, and then keeping his offspring a secret--?"

"--ought to take responsibility for his actions--"

"--an army of Superpeople, out to take over the planet--"

"--poor, innocent child--"

Poor innocent child indeed. Clark snapped off the TV and went toward his bedroom. He needed sleep... if for no other reason than to get a six-hour escape from this insanity.

Lois closed her eyes and slid beneath the surface of the warm water. She liked the way the world sounded under there. Like outer space. The only sound to be heard, beyond the mild hum of the heater in the next room, was the occasional water droplet sliding off the side of the bathtub and joining the pool below.

The peacefulness was interrupted by the sound of the phone ringing. She stayed put for a moment, unsure if she should bother. After the third ring, she brought her head out of the water. At the seventh ring, she slowly climbed out of the bathtub, wrapped a towel around her body, and made her way into the bedroom.

"Hello?"

"Did you see it, Lois? Did you see Hot Copy?"

*Well,* Lois thought, *It could be worse. At least it isn't Mother.*

She laid down on the bed, already feeling a headache coming on. "Yes, Lucy, I saw it."

"So... are you okay?'

"Of course I'm okay," Lois said irritably. "Why wouldn't I be? Perry's got us covering the darn story, for heaven's sake, and I AM a professional."

"He put YOU on the story? Seriously? Considering your history with Superman?"

"What history?" Lois snapped. "Apparently he'll make history with just about anyone, so why should I care?"

"Ouch, Lois. You aren't jealous, are you?"

"Jealous? Of what?"

"Of that woman. The boy's mother."

"Lucy, I may be a lot of things, but I am NOT jealous. Why would you even think that?"

"Oh, maybe because Superman got close to her, and you've never gotten that close to him, despite being in love with him for HOW long?"

"Superman doesn't -- I mean, he --"

"Face it, Lois -- you just assumed that if he didn't want a relationship with you, he must not want one with anyone. And now, well, unfortunately, you've seen that he IS capable of having a relationship -- just... not with you."

Wow. Lucy was in full-on annoying-sister mode. Lois wasn't going to back down, though... even if it meant this crumbling into a pointless, never-gonna-get-resolved argument. When it came to her and Superman, she wasn't going to let anyone -- especially not her own sister -- get things wrong.

"Look," said Lois. "Despite whatever weirdness the world has decided to throw at us, Superman and I have a connection, a bond, a THING that's just... beyond explanation. It's there, Lucy, I know it. Trust me, life would be a lot easier if it wasn't there, but it is. And that's all I can say about that."

"You still love him," Lucy said softly.

Lois sighed. "I always have."

"Do you think he fathered that baby?"

"I don't know," said Lois. "Clark talked to him earlier, and Superman just denied being the father and I guess Clark didn't get anything else out of him beyond that, so.... I'd love to speak to him myself, but I have no idea how to get hold of him without, you know, falling off a roof or something. Sometimes he just shows up when I need him, but he hasn't so far. But I don't know, I mean, what could he possibly have to say for himself? I WANT it to be true that he's not the father... every fiber of my being wants that to be true, Luce, but... it's not enough for me to just want it."

"Did you ever even think Superman could even HAVE kids? He’s an alien, after all. Well, I'm sure YOU'VE thought about it....” she added with a snicker.

"Lucy, PLEASE."

"Oh, come on... never?"

"No! And I am certainly NOT jealous of that woman, in case you're still curious. You couldn't PAY me to be in this woman's shoes. The last thing I need OR want is a child!"

"Not even if it was Superman's?" Lucy said.

"No, not even then! ESPECIALLY not then! You haven't seen that little boy, Lucy. His whole house is in shambles because he can't keep his powers under control. There are holes in the ceiling, up-ended furniture, broken glass on the carpet, shingles falling of the roof.... Do you think I'd want a child like that on my hands?"

"But what if Superman, like, asked? What if he showed up at your place, flew in the window, and asked you to have his lovechild. Then would you?"

Lois felt her entire body flush. "That... would... never happen. So it's pointless to even consider--"

"But if he DID. IF HE ASKED YOU." Lucy was sounding way too eager. "Wanted to. What if he flew in there and said, 'Lois, I want you. Take me, right now!' Say he said that. What would you say?"

"I would ask if he was on drugs!"

"Juuust answer the question."

There was a long pause. "Okay, yes -- IF he were to do that -- and let's please be clear that this whole scenario is completely out of the question -- if he did, I would probably say yes."

"Aha! I knew it!"

Lois rolled her eyes. "Okay, yes, miss smarty pants. Yes. You win, you're right. I'd screw over my entire life for Superman. And the career I've worked my butt off for. AND I'd gain a million pounds and go through labor and all that -- for him. I love him. Despite this. Despite everything. I admit it. I love him. And that in and of itself might just make me do something THAT insane. Now, I am hanging up the phone because I am tired and if I don't get some rest, I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. So goodnight."

"Goodnight, Sis. Good luck..."

The next morning, Clark hadn't even had time to get a cup of coffee when Lois accosted him by the elevators. "Clark, call Superman and tell him I want to talk to him."

Clark looked alarmed. "But why? He's already made a statement. He's not this boy's father. Case closed."

"Case NOT closed! You said so yourself that even if Superman isn’t the father, there must be some other rational explanation for the boy's superpowers. And one of YOUR suggestions was that maybe this kid's from Krypton! Soooo... it would make sense to ask Superman about that, wouldn't it?"

"Don't you think if Superman KNEW anything about the kid, he would have SAID SO?"

Lois could sense annoyance in Clark's voice. Sheesh. Sometimes it seemed he was more sensitive when it came to Superman than SHE was. She lowered her voice. "Clark, please don't get upset. I know he's your friend -- er, our friend. I know you want him to be innocent and perfect, so do I. But either way, there's definitely a story here. There is a boy out there who has his powers and there's a woman out there who could very well ruin Superman's reputation. And it's OUR job to get to the bottom of the whole thing and figure out what's going on!"

Clark was looking at her in surprise. She paused to catch her breath, then said, "So I think we ought to talk to Superman again. What do YOU think?"

"I think... that makes sense," he said quietly.

She was not expecting to hear this. Of course, she'd HOPED he'd agree with her, but somehow she was expecting to have to fight harder. "Well... then okay!" she said. "So you'll call him?"

Clark returned fifteen minutes later. "Superman says he'll talk to you. He'll meet you at Pier 39 at noon."

"Just me? Clark..."

"I do think you should talk to him. You were right. But can you go this one alone? I'm really not feeling too great..."

Lois studied her partner. He DID look a bit pale. Hmmm. So maybe that explained why he hadn't argued further with her. He just wasn't up to it. Drat, that soured her victory.

"Yeah, I can handle it," she said. "You take it easy..."

A year ago, this exact thing would have been spoken with sarcasm and contempt. Now she spoke sincerely -- she was concerned for him. It was like he was taking the news of Superman's supposed indiscretion worse than she was. She -- who had, not six months ago -- declared her love for Superman and been rejected. She who still carried a candle, no, make that a brightly-lit torch, for the Man Of Steel, despite having very little hope.

Clark might have felt guilty for making Lois go it alone, but at least he hadn't lied to her -- this time. He DID feel out of sorts. Maybe the stress of everything was finally getting to him. He felt tired. But he couldn't check out just yet -- he had an appointment to keep at noon.

"Thank you for meeting with me."

Superman nodded mutely, then motioned toward a bench. They sat. Lois pulled out a voice recorder and a notepad.

"You probably know what this is about," Lois began cautiously, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm sure I do."

"These allegations by Michelle Driver--"

"--are completely unfounded," he finished for her. "I've never seen her before in my life."

"I want to believe you," she said. "Besides, you've never given me any reason not to trust you."

She noticed his eyes flicker away for a moment. "Superman?" she asked.

He had to force himself to meet her gaze. "I realize," he said cautiously, "that still doesn't answer the question of how Miss Driver's son is able to fly. I've been thinking about that, and I may have an answer. I'm hesitant to share my theory -- I think it would be wise to keep this off the record -- until we know for sure -- even if it could clear my name..."

"I won't print anything until we know for sure. What is your theory?"

"You remember when someone used my DNA to make a clone?"

She was quick to catch on. "You think this boy might be the result of a cloning... experiment?"

Superman nodded. "It's possible. I mean, I thought I'd destroyed all the DNA samples out there, but... maybe there was something I missed."

"So... Justin Driver could be your -- your clone, but young?"

"No, I don't think so... not exactly. If anything, I think someone could have used my DNA as the paternal element and somehow fused it with that of a... a female," he blushed. "I mean, technically, I suppose Justin Driver COULD be, genetically, my son... but I had nothing to do with any of it. The reason I don't think he's a clone of... well, me... is because he doesn't resemble what I looked like at that age."

Superman -- as a boy? Lois had to catch her breath. Superman had once been a child? Of course he had. Of course. But she had never thought on it before. Suddenly a thought struck her. Michelle Driver had said Superman had been on Earth for years... but everything she knew about Superman said otherwise. What was the truth?

"Superman," she asked. "When did you first arrive here on Earth?"

"Why do you ask?" he said.

"Well, I'd just assumed you first came last year -- when you saved my life on the Prometheus. But Michelle Driver alleges that she knew you -- met you -- about FOUR years ago. In fact," Lois went on, feeling a bit silly for what she was about to say, "She said you had a secret identity and that your name was really Charles."

Superman raised an eyebrow. "No, my name's definitely not Charles."

"Oh. Well, anyway, I was thinking, if you really did just come to Earth last year, we can just REMIND everyone of that, and then they'll be sure to see that HER story is impossible!"

Superman sighed. "Lois, the public will believe what they want to believe. They'll assert that boys who are half-Kryptonian just age rapidly. They'll latch on to the theory that I've been secretly around for years -- whatever's easiest for them to accept. No matter what I do, there will always be people who are against me. If I agree to a DNA test to see if I'm a match with the boy, and it comes back negative -- they'll say Kryptonian DNA defies the testing process or whatever. You can present the public with a ten-volume book of facts, and many will still throw it aside in favor of conspiracy theories. I can say it a hundred times, 'I'm not the father,' and there will still be disbelievers. My best advice is to focus on the cloning angle. And on the boy -- who did this to him, or how this happened, or..." he trailed off, his eyes pleading with her.

"I will," she promised. "I'll do that."

"I have to go," he told her.

"Thank you for meeting with me."

He nodded and took off toward the sky.

As she watched him go, she realized... he hadn't actually answered question about when he arrived on Earth. He'd just denied his name was Charles.

Now THAT was going to bug her.

"How'd it go?" Clark asked.

"Blah," Lois said. She flopped into her chair and swiveled it toward him. "Clark, I hate to say this, but I think Superman has more secrets going for him than we ever imagined. Everything I know about him -- everything we've learned since his arrival -- I get the feeling it's just the tip of the iceberg."

"Why? What did he say?"

"Oh, well, 'I'm not the father,' of course. And I want to believe him, Clark, I do -- but now I feel more confused than ever. There was something he said. About being young. Have you ever imagined Superman that way before? It's bizarre. In my mind, he looks exactly the same, only short. With a tiny little blue suit and cape. And get this -- I asked him when he first came to Earth -- if it was really last year, or if he'd been here longer, like Michelle Driver had said, and he just, well, he didn't ever get around to answering the question. What's he hiding? I mean, I don't want to pry into his personal life, but -- okay, yes I do. I'm curious! Oh well. He did give me SOME information to go on, at least. He thinks the Driver boy might be a clone -- at least, the product of Superman's DNA and a human mother."

"That could be," Clark said.

"If only we knew who cloned Superman last spring. That person might know about this."

"What about that doctor we interviewed? What was his name?"

"Leek," she answered. "Dr. Fabian Leek. Funny how my brain can forget to add cereal to my shopping list but it remembers obscure names of sleazy scientist. Must be some reporter thing. I don't remember his phone number, though. JIMMY!"

Jimmy appeared promptly.

"Get me the number of Dr. Fabian Leek, would you?"

"Leek?" Jimmy repeated. "Sure thing." As he turned away, Clark distinctly heard him mutter something about "unfortunate."

Ten minutes later, he was back. "Good news and bad news, guys. The good news is, I found him. But the bad news is he's dead. Died back in April. No relatives or anything, either."

"So I guess he's out of the running," Lois sighed. "Unless someone took up his research. Jimmy, see if you can find out who Dr. Leek was working for, or where his funding was coming from. Get me the names of his colleagues and friends."

"On it, Lois!"

"What about Dr. Hamilton?" said Clark. "I'm sure he's been too... uh, busy... to be involved in THIS, obviously, but he does know a lot about DNA. Maybe he knows someone else in the field who might know something..."

"Well, that was a bust," Lois said, as she and left Dr. Hamilton's office later that afternoon. "As helpful as he could be, but no leads on our boy."

"No," Clark said sadly. "Just the confirmation that the cloning theory is possible because... anything is possible."

"Frustrating, isn't it? But I can't fault the man, really -- he's been more than helpful when it comes to... well...." she sent a pointed glance in his direction. "I mean, if it wasn't for him -- and Superman, too -- you wouldn't even be here, now."

Clark caught on. "If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been shot in the first place!"

"Stop being glass-half-empty, Clark, that's my job."

He smiled.

"Help! Someone help!"

From high above the city, Superman honed in on the source of the cries and began to speed toward it. In the middle of Centennial Park, a woman was lying on the ground, seemingly writing with pain. He landed beside her and asked her what was wrong.

The woman jumped up, to Superman's surprise, and trust a finger at him. "You're what's wrong, you son of a bitch! You JERK, you...."

"I--"

"How could you do that to that poor woman and your SON? How could you just ABANDON them? Oh, if you didn't have all those f-ing powers, I'd get a gun and shoot you in the face!"

Superman gaped. Then, shaking his head, he fought for composure. "Is that all?" he asked tightly. "Because I have more important things to do."

As he flew off, he heard the woman shouting about doing things, all right.

He was done for the night. Done emotionally.

He flew back to his apartment, changed into boxers, and collapsed into bed. This was unbelievable. All of this. Many times before, his reputation had taken beatings, but somehow, this time, it was more personal. He was sickened by the accusations, the jeers, the swears, the outright hostility he was receiving from total strangers. As sorry as he felt for Justin Driver (and, by default, his mother, for having to put up with the pitfalls of having a superchild) he was infuriated by the fact that this whole situation existed in the first place.

It had been almost week, and things had only gotten worse. Now Michelle Driver wanted money. She'd gotten an attorney and he'd announced their intention to seek child support, money for house repairs and reinforcements, and tuition money so that Justin could attend a special school, not to mention a particularly large sum for her "pain and suffering." Entertainment Nightly had reported a possible “Superboy” movie in the works. Clark guessed Michelle Driver hadn't had any trouble finding a lawyer willing to work with her -- every attorney in New Troy would probably want a piece of that action.

Meanwhile, the cloning angle had hit a dead end. They hadn’t been able to dig up much of anything on Dr. Fabian Leek. His financial records were inaccessible. They had Jimmy working his computer magic, trying to acccess something, but so far, no luck.

And then there was Lois. She was still fixated on what Superman had said to her -- or hadn't said to her -- at the pier. She was certain he was hiding something from her. And if he was hiding one thing, maybe he was hiding lots of things. And maybe he knew something about the Driver boy after all. Maybe he'd lied. And if Superman had lied to her, well -- needless to say, she was crushed. Clark hated seeing her like this, so disappointed, so dejected. He, as Clark, had tried over and over to remind Lois that Superman was a stand-up guy, that he'd never get a woman pregnant and then abandon her, or ignore his responsibilities like that in any way. But he was beginning to sound like a broken record in a closed-off bedroom.

He needed a breakthrough -- and soon. Some vital piece of information that would explain everything. Something that would restore both Superman's reputation and Lois's mood.

He needed a miracle.

Molly