Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75462 11/22/10 12:07 PM
EmilyC Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
A million dollar secret was a small price to bring Lois home again.
Nooooooo! He's not going to do what I think he's going to do is he? I mean I guess that's the grand gesture of all grand gestures, but the long term repercussions will be devastating. (Though I suppose compared to what he's imagining is happening to Lois, it's a small price to pay). Gah!

Will leave more detailed comments after the kids are in bed and I can think.

#75463 11/22/10 01:00 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
sending a familiar pang that was equal parts guilt and lust racing through him
Oh, yeah. Guilt and lust together! Way to go!
How about just wringing Bobby's neck or holding him out over the top of a high building?
Taps foot. So when is Clark coming to pick me up? Maybe I have info for him on Lois' location!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#75464 11/22/10 01:24 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
dance I was holding my breath when I turned on the computer, "Please let her have posted. Please let her have posted." hehe. Yes!

Aww, but this part was so sad. Poor Clark! (Poor Lois, too, but this section is about Clark, so I’ll stick to ‘poor Clark’.)
he was overcome all over again by the memory of her whispered plea for help
Clark always did have a propensity to obsess, and if ever he had a reason to obsess, this would be it.
Did I mention Clark also has a propensity for self-sacrifice, especially where Lois is concerned? This doesn't even come as a surprise; I would expect nothing less of him.

So, does this mean we will soon be seeing them together again? And will Lois lay into him for leaving her? for being Superman? for letting himself get caught in an attempt to rescue her? :rolleyes: all of the above?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#75465 11/22/10 01:47 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Great update.

That wasn't fair, he chided himself. Lois would never betray Superman no matter how much money they offered her.
I think you're right on here. Even though Lois is a hard nosed journalist, Superman has been far more than a story to her.

He should be glad since it meant that her feelings for him as Clark had taken precedence, but a tiny little part of him mourned the loss of her hero worship.
I like this idea. Lois has more of a crush on Superman - something not realistic. It's only natural that Clark should want to be loved for all of who he is, not just being Superman.

Correct me if I'm wrong, sometimes I miss details because I get distracted. Wasn't Lois working on a hot story lead and that's what's possibly gotten her into trouble? I'm assuming Clark is so pre-occupied by the Superman 'hunt' that he's let this slip? Or maybe she was working on her own?

Joan

#75466 11/22/10 02:03 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Yikes! dizzy shock jawdrop

My first reaction (Well, my first one after, "Yikes," that is) was, "Clark wouldn't make this trade. To do so might get Lois out of trouble for the moment, but it would put both her and his parents (not to mention Perry, Jimmy, et al.) in danger for the rest of their lives."

My next reaction, however was, "On second thought, Clark wouldn't make this trade *if he were thinking clearly*, but instead, he clearly isn't thinking... He's reacting with his emotions. And they would scream at him to do whatever it took to get Lois out of her current jeopardy in one piece. So yeah, after careful contemplation, I could see him considering something as foolish and self-sacrificing as offering up his secret identity to get Lois back.

There's only one other thing to say...Part 5, please?

Joy,
Lynn

#75467 11/22/10 04:25 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I think I cackled and rubbed my hands together when I saw that people were upset that Clark would consider trading his secret to get Lois back. Lynn, you pegged it perfectly - Clark would never make that trade if he was thinking clearly. He's running on nothing but adrenaline and fear right now and every hour that goes by without news can only increase his anxiety. hyper

Thanks for the comments! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#75468 11/22/10 05:14 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Nooooooo!
Bahaha! Sue does that read familiar? goofy

My secret is that I know how SQD's "Everywhere" ends...but it's not worth a million dollars--that's pretty priceless.

Almost to Part 5! dance

"We're both barefoot, both flushed, and we both look guilty as hell. Clark has finger-combed his hair but I'm positive mine looks like I was just f… fished out of the river."

<3 this fic!
'The Next Step' By Sue S.

#75469 11/22/10 09:32 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
He shivered and drew his cape around him. His head bowed and he was overcome all over again by the memory of her whispered plea for help. His throat began to close off and he fought the urge to cry. Without a task to concentrate on it was almost impossible to suppress his fear and grief.
thumbsup We want more!! hyper

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#75470 11/23/10 12:08 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Clark would never make that trade if he was thinking clearly. He's running on nothing but adrenaline and fear right now and every hour that goes by without news can only increase his anxiety.
Yes, I think that comes through clearly in the story: That he is wracked with guilt, beside himself with anxiety, and completely lost without Lois.

Actually, if Lois were there, she would immediately veto his plan* and come up with something much better... something that doesn't involve exposing Superman at all. Alas, Lois isn't there.

* edited to add: assuming I know what his plan is. Re-reading your comments, I'm beginning to wonder. just what *is* he planning to do?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#75471 11/23/10 07:28 AM
EmilyC Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Back!

I'm glad to read everyone else's responses re: Clark's rash behavior. After I responded, I began second guessing my initial reaction of "Noooooooooo", pondering a scenario in which the absolute only way to find Lois would be for Superman to reveal himself. I wondered if I was being too harsh on Clark, or more importantly too blase' about Lois' situation; things do look pretty grim. Then again if the kidnapper really wanted to out Superman, he/she could simply advertise that they were seeking to expose Superman in exchange for Lois. In this case our kidnapper is being annoyingly mute. Grrrr.

He shivered and drew his cape around him. His head bowed and he was overcome all over again by the memory of her whispered plea for help. His throat began to close off and he fought the urge to cry. Without a task to concentrate on it was almost impossible to suppress his fear and grief.
I too was struck by the sadness of this section. *hugs Clark*

"Oh, like hell," Lois shot back as she followed close behind him. "You can make the call, fine, but I'll be listening in on the other line."
Hee, this cracked me up. First I love when she's bossy, take-charge, whatever you want to call it, especially since Clark is trying to steer her in a different direction. Heh, good luck, buddy. Second, albeit random, I don't know why, but I've always imagined Lois to be someone who curses with the best of them. To me it just seems to fit with her personality. So even the fairly tame expletive had me grinning.

"Please?" Clark asked. "I'm a friend of his. Put yourself in his shoes for minute - surely you can understand how upsetting this is for him?"
Gah, tug at my heartstrings.

Loved the Lois/Superman scene. It brought to mind an important question, the answer to which I'm forever torn, how Lois should react to the revelation. On one hand I get that the longer Clark delays telling her, the harder it will be to do so. Therefore he just keeps putting it off. But the fallout from his procrastination is perfectly exhibited in the scene you wrote. The idea that Clark could interact with Lois so intimately w/o revealing himself is so mind-boggling that it secures his disguise more completely. Why would she suspect him to be the same person as her partner b/c its so crazy that he wouldn't tell her if he was. Does that make any sense? Sorry I digress and but it really hit me reading your scene how much he needs to TELL HER ALREADY.

Hmmm, secrets. I would have had a doozy a few days ago, but alas it turns out that I am not pregnant, so the reveal just doesn't have the same kick smile

Can't wait for the next part.

#75472 11/23/10 08:55 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I agree that Clark in his right mind would seriously think a couple of times before being willing to share the secret in return for Lois and her safety; however, currently he is an emotional wreck, clearly not thinking clearly or rationally at all since the only two things on his mind is that 1) Lois has been kidnapped, has/could be seriously hurt and not to mention, she might have been raped (since her drink was spiked) and 2) obsessing about how he could have allowed himself to ignore her soft call (for help) by assuming that she doesn't want to see him after he disappeared.

I am looking forward to part 5 (and the rest) ... and I'm curious to know where Lois is indeed being help captive ...

smile

#75473 11/23/10 04:00 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really enjoyed this chapter, especially the changes that you made. My lip still wobbled at Clark's sadness and feelings of helplessness and regret, laughed at how Lois' barely restrained herself from ripping the phone from Clark's hand to grill the answering service herself, and melted at the sweet interactions between Lois and Superman.

Oh, and gee, do you think that flying Lois away in front of so many bystanders might just give them ideas that Lois Lane might know more about Superman than the average citizen of Metropolis? Hmm?

Great part.
thumbsup
Check your inbox.
wave
More soon.
wildguy
B

#75474 11/24/10 09:39 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Aww, look. laugh I have more to be thankful for. evil "Planning" is the wrong word to use.

Emily - I probably shouldn't be glad I made you sad, but I kind of am. eek I also agree with you completely on Lois' potty mouth. In spite of the ABC "family hour" rules, we did get a corroboration of that hunch when Perry tells Clark about Lois breaking her ankle skiing. Something about "the language that woman used…" Since the boards are also PG13, I usually say she mentally cursed or reference it another way (for example, in part 1 of this story, Clark imagines that if she is saying his name, it was part of an expletive). smile

Your comments about why he should tell her and why he keeps putting it off perfectly explain why that's one of my favorite things to write about. Her reaction could be a million different things depending on her mood, the circumstances and how she finds out.

DW - In his right mind, Clark probably would never consider trading away his secret (not seriously, anyway). Like you've pointed out, he's being motivated by all the scary what-ifs.

I promise you, part 5 answers most of where Lois is being held captive. smile

BJ - You're absolutely right - when you single out one reporter to ferry about the city, it does tend to paint a rather large target on her. laugh

Thanks for the gift in my in-box, go check your own. wink

My thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm still waiting (hoping) to hear from a couple of other people who've been regular in their replies. (Yes, it's sad, but I am that needy.) blush

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
#75475 11/24/10 10:46 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Needy, huh? I remember keeping a mental tab on the FDK-delta between parts, worrying, wondering, hoping, ... erm blush Anyway, I do take a needy author over no author any day wink

What has happened to your muse? [Mecry] What can we do to get you writing again?
wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#75476 11/26/10 04:29 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Hey Michael! wave

blush Yes, needy. It's reassuring that you can relate. It's disappointing that your muse is being such a, um, witch. If you truly can write an nfic tangent for this part, DO IT! notworthy laugh

As always, you found a way to crack me up . wildguy

You can't blame a girl for trying. :p

Ides of Metropolis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard