Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Phew! Aren't you glad that fight's over?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! I love the barely controlled power that Clark is exhibiting to them to get his points across. They certainly deserve to live in fear for a while; Diana certainly deserves to live in fear and with the light turned on in regard to how her plan was a poor one and doomed to failure due to her swollen pride.

Whooeeeee!! I loved the Queen's thought processes as she realized that Diana never had a chance with Superman-- ever -- and how you worded all that.

And yes, I am glad the fight is over. Thank you. dance

EvelynC
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I find it interesting that Diana was baseing some of her 'fitness' to be Superman's mate on the fact that she could give him a child where Lois can't.

Could she?

I think the fact that Superman is an alien would provide the same difficulty in reproduction with Diana that Clark and Lois have. Also, there is the little fact that Diana was never born in the traditional sense. She was magically created by the 'gods' from the clay of Themyscria. Does she even have the capability to conceive with any man, let alone one who is not even from this planet?

Diana was not exactly too bright(which was another deviation from the comic book canon Wonder Woman who has been shown to have genius level skills in sciene).

Even with all the deviations from the comic book version of Wonder Woman, this has been a fun story so far (and it's almost done). After all, with all the multiple alt-universes that are out there, I'm sure one can be found where the 'players' can be molded to what we need to tell a good story.

I wonder if these Amazons have the 'purple ray' used by comic book Amazons for healing serious injury.

Tank (who reminds the gentle readers that Superman threatend to destroy their buildings, their crops, and their security from the outside world but didn't threaten to harm them physically)

Top Banana
Top Banana
All I got to say is, no one messes with Superman's woman! cool I like how capable Lois can be, but when it comes down to it, we all love to see Superman swoop in and protect her. wink

Interested to see the final two parts... what will Diana resign herself to do?

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved it!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Features Writer
Features Writer
I've been reading the story and I am loving it! Can't wait for the next part!

I have to comment on Tank's comment:
who reminds the gentle readers that Superman threatend to destroy their buildings, their crops, and their security from the outside world but didn't threaten to harm them physically
Actually, he didn't threaten directly, but he did say in the story
And I will tell every nation on earth that there are thousands of available women on this island, all of them just begging for a man to take care of every one of them.
I think the "take care" part can have a double meaning here (enough said).

malu

Features Writer
Features Writer
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! enough said

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Diana was not exactly too bright(which was another deviation from the comic book canon Wonder Woman who has been shown to have genius level skills in science).
Oh, I'm sure this Diana has a high enough general IQ, but her emotional IQ is zilch. (She must have been asleep when offered 'the wisdom of Athena'.) And being raised in an all female environment isn't an excuse - maybe Queen Mom never let her have a dog...

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Amazing chapter. We rarely get to see Superman threatening to use his full power. Loved the rip off your head comment. while clearly not canon, great fully developed characterization. Almost felt sorry for Diana at the end. Can't wait for the rest.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Imagine Loisa of the House of Lane, Last Daughter of Krypton, being sent to the Earth right before her home planet explodes. On the Earth she is adopted by the kindly (yes!) Sam and Ellen Lane (what a coincidence) who names the girl Lois. (Another coincidence, I know.) Lois Lane grows up, develops superpowers, adopts the secret identity of Ultra Woman and starts using her powers for the greater good. Pursuing a career as a reporter she meets handsome Earthling Clark Kent and falls in love, but complications arise because she won't tell him her secret. Eventually their mutual love overcomes their frustrations, and they get married.

On a secret island somewhere in the Pacific is a strange all-male society centered around a strange character called Superman. Superman is nowhere near as super as Ultra Woman and derives most of his powers from his equipment: his boots, his belt, his S-shield and his cape. Superman finds out about Ultra Woman and decides that she is worthy of marrying him. Since she is already married Superman decides to kidnap her husband, Clark Kent, and force him to duel to the death over the love of Ultra Woman. Clark Kent bravely accepts the challenge, shaves off his hair and strips down naked. He demands that Superman removes every last piece of clothing or equipment from his body before the duel can begin. Superman reluctantly complies. They fight, wearing each other down more and more, coming close to killing one another.

Ultra Woman has finally located the island where her husband is being held captive. She lands on the island, to the horror of the men living there. She brings a stop to the duel and makes sure that her husband gets the very best medical care that the island can offer. She bawls the men out, scolds them, frightens them, lectures them and threatens them. A particularly insolent man throws a punch at her and promptly breaks his hand. Ultra Woman speaks to Superman, tells him that she would never marry somebody like him, forbids him to ever show himself in Metropolis again, issues a final warning and flies her beloved Clark Kent back to civilization. The end.

I don't know... this sounds a bit sexist somehow, doesn't it? The problem as I see it is the super-macho masculine, militant and authoritarian society of men only, being punished by a brave and super-strong woman.

In your story, Terry, there is a super-feminist, highly authoritarian and rigid society made up of women only. Such a society has clearly never existed in the history of the Earth. I don't mind a wicked Wonder Woman, because deranged individuals have always existed, but a society like that all-female one is just a sexist fantasy.

Apart from my objections to the super-feminist, super-authoritarian society, I have really, really enjoyed myself reading this tale. I have particularly loved the portrait of Lois. Her courage, her sorrow, her love, her joy... all of it has been splendidly told and described! And the suspense when Lois was fighting Wonder Woman was almost killing me. Also, I very much enjoyed the sometimes comic book-y feeling of the fic.

So, Terry, I really want to thank you for this story, even if it is not over yet.

Ann

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Wow. Clark got maaaaaad. Loved Diana's thoughts about it:

Less happy – why, he was actually angry!
This line really made me laugh:
“Well, that’s good, because I’d hate to think that I’d have to throw you into the ocean to unsully you.”
Being thrown into the ocean by Superman would be very unpleasant, wouldn't it? Heh.

And I think Hippolyta's got it right here:
She could see why Diana had desired him as a mate.

And she could also see why he would never be hers.
After reading all that, I have to say--poor Diana. Yeah, she did a bunch of bad things, but it sure really blew up in her face, didn't it? Even her body (well, her bladder) wanted to add insult to injury.

I'm sad this is almost over! But it'll be interesting to see what happens about the Daily Planet story, heh. It almost felt like Clark was betraying the Amazons to me with, though I'm not completely sure why. They need a reality check.

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
We're getting close to the finish line, and the feedback is getting even more intense!

Evelyn, glad you liked the "rough justice" Superman dished out. Diana's plan was an excellent one if the vast majority of Amazons had been willing to fight to return to the ancient ways, but that's where her plan fell apart. She was so convinced that she was right that she wouldn't listen to anyone else.

Tank, it's implicit in canon and explicit in fanon that Clark and Lois have children somehow. Maybe that baby at the end of Season Four was their own biological child. We'll never know what the writers would have actually done, of course, but I choose to believe that Clark is genetically compatible with humans. He still has to breath oxygen (and presumably he exhales CO2), he can eat and digest human food (except for Lois' rumaki), he takes in liquids and we assume that he has to visit the little superhero's room occasionally, and he really enjoys sex with his wife. Conception might be difficult but not impossible.

As I tried to hint subtly in the earlier chapters, this Diana wasn't formed from clay and magically given life by Zeus (or whoever). She is Hippolyta's biological child and her father lives on the Isle of Husbands (more about that later). Were she to conceive, she'd bear a child and not a piece of enchanted pottery.

Maybe she wasn't wise (didn't listen to Athena's lectures in school), but she isn't stupid. She's almost too intelligent for her own good. Maybe she'll invent that purple ray later on, assuming the court doesn't condemn her.

Mozartmaid, glad you liked the super-swoop. Lois is no helpless maiden cowering from danger, but she's not super, either. Sometimes she needs some help, and I don't think she'll be upset about getting it this time.

Thanks, Laurach. Hope you like the last two chapters.

Malu, you're right about Superman's intentions. Without touching a single person, he announced his intention of destroying their way of life. Whether or not he would actually have done all those things is something we (thankfully) will never know.

Thanks for the superlative, Lovesuper97!

Thanks for the insight, Dandello. Seems we think alike on Diana's education. Maybe she should become a shepherd for a few years. That would teach her some humility.

I wondered about the "rip off the head" comment too, Andy G, but I can justify it in my mind because 1) it was a statement of what Superman could do and not what he planned to do 2) he was talking to a woman who refused to listen when he said "no" 3) he was mad as the dickens and still a bit scared for Lois. And I guess I did that scene well if you felt a little sorry for Diana!

Thanks for the kind words, Ann. My only quibble with your reverse characterization is that the Amazons of Themyscira are not all of a kind. I view their society as matriarchal rather than ultra-feminist, and many of them have loving (but unusual, at least to our sensibilities) relationships with their husbands. I haven't included much information about the men in the Amazons' lives because I didn't want to drag down the narrative, but I can see now that I need to add some information about them. You'll get a brief but necessarily incomplete summary in the last chapter.

Next chapter up very soon! Thanks for reading, everyone!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard