Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#75352 11/17/10 08:16 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Ok I am absolutely adoring this story! You are one of my favorite authors and I eagerly await the next chapter!!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wait, what? You'll send Clark by to pick me up and take me to Kansas? For real! I can't believe it!

I had this all picked out to comment about until your last sentence:
Her joy at his wanting to spend time with her was quickly replaced by terror that he wanted to spend time with her. They'd be on his turf, not neutral ground. If things turned sour, she couldn't simply go home.
smile1 smile1 thumbsup
cool
Artemis
Wait - can I pick the date?

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I like the way you're going between past and present. I really liked the line Lois was thinking that Clark never let her down when she really needed him. (Still figuring out this quote stuff.) And Lois' feelings all over the place about Clark certainly rang true too.

What's next??

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Anyone wanna go to Kansas this weekend? Let me know in the FDK thread and I'll send Clark by to pick you up.
Ooh! Me! me! Pick me! wink

I am suddenly recalling the old "Calgon, take me away" commercials and revising them to, "Clark Kent, take me away!"

Another good part. Since this part was from Lois' POV, is it safe to assume that the next part will be from Clark's POV?

Why do I get the feeling that, based on the story structure so far, the actual rescue won't take place until at least part 8, and more likely part 9 or part 10?

I'm ready for part 4 whenever you are ready to post it. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, giving us the story with the past and present is working really well--we get face time with the two of them, meanwhile we're wondering what's going to happen to Lois. Brilliant! cool

She wanted him. His smile, his touch, his laugh, and the simple comfort of his company. She wanted to spend every minute possible with him.
Her joy at his wanting to spend time with her was quickly replaced by terror that he wanted to spend time with her. They'd be on his turf, not neutral ground. If things turned sour, she couldn't simply go home.
Lois, honey, make up your mind! I know she's insecure, but you'd think by now that she'd realize hanging out with Clark wouldn't be so bad. wink

Now, stuck in this chilly, oppressively dark prison, Lois would much rather be sitting next to Clark on a plane. Hell, she would be happy to be sitting in the cramped confines of her car in the midst of another interminable stakeout.
See... told you, Lois. wink

Excellent part, Sue!! Can't wait for more!! hyper

Anyone wanna go to Kansas this weekend? Let me know in the FDK thread and I'll send Clark by to pick you up.
Me! Me! Please pick me! I never get to go anywhere!! grovel

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Is it Twitchell who nabbed Lois? It sounds like she could be in a shipping container being all metal-- oh but I forgot that the floor is wooden... grumble

Can't wait for more!! hyper

EvelynC
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What?! A trip to Kansas??? That wasn't mentioned in my beta contract. I demand a re-write!

Brava Sue! Loving the accolades that you are getting for this fic..because it is ALL true! Love ya lady wink

hyper

"We're both barefoot, both flushed, and we both look guilty as hell. Clark has finger-combed his hair but I'm positive mine looks like I was just f… fished out of the river."

<3 this fic!
'The Next Step' By Sue S.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm in pick me up! Can't wait for more Sue. You are my favorite nfic/fanfic writer.Laura hail

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I hate to say it, but... frown I have absolutely no desire to, well... go to Kansas <g> However, if Clark wants to pick me up and fly me somewhere else, I'd certainly be willing to have that discussion. smile

I know! He can fly me far enough into the future that Sue will have finished posting her story, so I can read it all at once! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
bellarase - Thanks for starting a FDK thread so quickly - wow! I'm delighted to hear that you're adoring the story. As to being a favored author… blush drool

Thank you for the note on sea vans. I didn't have direct access to one but it seemed like the ones I had seen had metal floors. I've fixed it in the story. laugh

Joan - Thank you! I'm glad you're still along for the ride.

Lynn - You get a ride too! We'll have an impromptu FoLC fest at the Kent's farmhouse! Loved "Clark Kent, take me away." I may have some free time at work for the next couple of weeks - I think a Photoshopped "Calgon" ad could require my attention. wink

Yes, the next part is from Clark's POV. It might interest you to know (or it might not <g>), that I originally had each part told from both character's POVs and this was a seven-part story. But as the flashbacks and the story became more fleshed out, they also became extremely long. I didn't want people scrolling, scrolling, scrolling and wondering when the part was ever gonna frickin' end, so I split them. blush
Why do I get the feeling that, based on the story structure so far, the actual rescue won't take place until at least part 8, and more likely part 9 or part 10?
Define "rescue". <heh>

mozartmaid - You poor little shut-in, you can come too!

Like I said above, Lois' insecurities are what make her so interesting to me. Of course she knows that hanging out with Clark is not a bad thing, but you also have to think that somewhere, deep down, she instinctively knows there's something going on with him that isn't quite what it seems. It's that unknown that feeds her insecurities and makes her sabotage herself.

Evelyn - You're right - Twitchell sure sounds like a suspect. But Lois knows him and would certainly recognize him if he was sitting next to her in a bar. smile

Yes, Clark was absolutely working up to confessing. He'd already tried that line in his head the night before. My only regret in telling this scene from Lois' POV is that we don't get to be inside Clark's head when she interrupts him just as he's finally found the courage to confess.

Lola - If there was anyone who feared the word "rewrite", it should be you. Thank you for your support and enthusiasm. You keep me going. sloppy

Laura - Awww! Thank you for the compliments! blush I'm so glad to see you're in for the story. laugh I will add you to the list of flyees.

Pam - See, I figured Michael might not be crazy about flying with Clark, but I didn't think anyone would balk at Kansas. I'm sure it's just my dirty mind, but the way you put it I have absolutely no desire to, well... go to Kansas made me briefly wonder if it was a euphemism for something else. wink Now I'm intrigued with what kind of double meaning we could imbue "going to Kansas" with.

Clark says to tell you that while the future is out, the world is your oyster. Have cape, will travel or something like that. (Sometimes he mumbles.)

Thanks to everyone for dropping in to say "hi". I appreciate it more than you'll ever know. jump

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
by Artemis:
Also, sea vans (the containers ships use to ship goods) do have wooden floors like a loading pallet because the corrugated metal isn't strong enough to hold the load.
Thank you! I had no idea, and I was wondering "What would have metal walls but a wooden floor?"

I'm always amazed at the depth of knowledge to be found here on the boards (usually serendipitous!)

Lois tried to think of reasons that someone would kidnap her, but grew depressed when she realized there were numerous people who might hold a grudge against her.
Hee hee hee. I guess that's the price she pays for being such a good reporter.

Then again, why would they go to all the trouble of locking her up in this dark space just to drug her again?
Yeah, why is she there? What do they want? Ominous thoughts rumble through my head.

Clark was her only hope. He might have his faults, but she couldn't think of a single time Clark had let her down when it was really, really important.
Ooh, I love this line! It's so true.

He turned in the seat to fully face her, his expression earnest. "You don't have to worry about the airfare--."

Another wave of panic washed through her as he spoke - did she really want to be beholden to Clark because he paid for her ticket too?
This was a great little scene - I can just see Clark, all nervous because he's finally worked up the courage to tell Lois his secret, and then she goes and interrupts him! The knee jerking was a wonderful image too.

Of course, since Bobby was waiting right there, it's probably a good idea he didn't tell her then.

"If you want to go incognito, Lois, you should lose the vanity plates."
Yeah, Lois, and don't have the Daily Planet publish your photos all over the place with the caption, "The Hottest Team In Town"! It just might interfere with the incognito. wink

She should have said 'yes, I'll go to Kansas with you'. She wanted to explain to him that she had been caught off-guard by his invitation, but Clark's brooding demeanor only increased her anxiety so she said nothing.
I love how you crank up the angst-o-meter.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You just insist on breaking up the couch fun for all this A-plot. goofy No really, it's been a great start, I'm enjoying the flashbacks.

Would you believe I'm not packing up to move? I feel like this is your first story in 3 years that hasn't coincided with the demise of my housing environment.

Jen wink

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Pick me too! Pick me too! I've never been to Kansas!

Anyway, great part and I love the flashbacks too! Clark's knee-jerking reaction almost managed to make me nervous too ... And I was also going, what has metal walls, but a wooden floor?

Eagerly waiting for part 4, part 5 and well ... honestly .. the rest of the story too laugh

Merriwether
Merriwether
Hmm, I'm guessing Lois is in one of those shipping containers they were talking about ... and is no longer in Metropolis if Superman can't hear her. She's definitely in a pickle.

"Maybe," Clark added quietly.

"Maybe?" Her ears perked up. Was he thinking about staying in Metropolis instead? Please, god, let him want to spend the weekend with her. "You're not sure?"

His knee began to bounce even faster, setting the Jeep to rocking slightly. What in the world was up with him? It was way too early in the morning to be this anxious, especially for Clark, who was usually maddeningly calm. Even his words were jumpy. "No. I mean, yes. I'm going to Kansas. I just thought that, maybe, uh, you'd like to come with me?"
This exchange demonstrates why the end of S2 is my favorite time to write them in, when they are an acknowledged couple but still new at it. The way he asks this, even without our inside knowledge of how much he's asking, is wonderful. And even Lois's response works well. I normally get frustrated with these artificial roadblocks, but this one felt natural, I think mainly because Lois realized immediately what she'd done and how she'd blown it. They are both clearly into each other at this point, wanting to be together but neither wanting to apply too much pressure. And that feels natural rather than contrived.

"Bingo. You should buy the man another doughnut, Lois. Those guys, and several others who our caped friend has had personal contact with, have all been offered a million dollars if they could come up with something big and juicy about Superman."
This, however, was an unexpected twist. Does it tie in to why Lois was taken? Is it a red herring? Looking forward to finding out.

Kathy

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've never really had any desire to go to Kansas, but if Clark's flying, I'm in!

First things first: Lois' incarceration...

I was inclined to think that she was being held in a shipping container since she'd been watching the docks, but would the floor be wood when everything else is metal? I am really bothered that she yelled for Superman for so long w/o him hearing her. That ups the ante a bit for me. Where could she possibly be? And in the midst of all the angst, I found myself chuckling that of course Lois should have insisted that they had dinner prior to a movie, so that when kidnapped after the movie, she'd have a full stomach. wink

I absolutely adored the entire exchange b/t Lois and Clark from the moment he stepped into the car until Bobby Bigmouth showed up. I loved her internal monologue -

Clark got in and leaned across the seat to kiss her. She turned her head and he got her lips instead of her cheek.

"Good morning," he murmured and kissed her again.
Yeah she did; yeah he did. smile1

...She wanted him...
Woohoo! Enjoyed that and the surrounding introspection. And given the next topic of conversation I'd say that Clark is likely in just as much emotional turmoil as Lois.

*sigh* So he asks her to Smallville. Lois' reaction is very Lois, but I can't help but wonder, was he working up to actually telling her he was Superman in car? Or were the nerves simply about his asking and her response?

In an instant the spell is broken and the drama is heightened - someone is targeting Superman... hmmm.

Those guys, and several others who our caped friend has had personal contact with, have all been offered a million dollars if they could come up with something big and juicy about Superman."
Like that he's in love with Lois and would go crazy to get her back if she were to be kidnapped?!?!

"Get back in the car. If Bobby knows I'm here, then Twitchell probably does too. There's no sense in sticking around here. Besides, how were you planning on getting back to the Planet? It's not like there's an abundance of cabs in this part of town."
These are the moments I imagine Lois will remember over time after finding out Superman's identity and a *facepalm* will ensue.

Then she blinked a couple of times, disbelieving her eyes as a tiny shaft of daylight shone through the floor.
Very intriguing indeed. It was only just as I was copying this quote that I fully processed that the daylight was shining through the floor. Where the heck is she? Gah! Can't wait for more.

Kerth
Kerth
Ilolanthe - I, too, am always amazed (and grateful for) the wide range of knowledge on these boards. smile

Thank you for all the quotes and comments. It makes the time spent writing and re-writing and re-writing and re-writing and… (you get the idea), well, it makes it seem worthwhile when someone catches a detail and remarks on it. grumble

DW - Okay! You're in for Kansas, too! I'm glad you're enjoying the flashbacks and that Clark's bouncing knee made you nervous. thumbsup

Kathy - I squealed when I saw that you were reading this story! dance

And then I grinned like an idiot as I read your comments. I'm so glad that you didn't find the stakeout scene to be an artificial roadblock; that it felt natural to you. There's a progression that both characters need to make and that scene is an essential building block. I'm also glad that I managed to pull an unexpected twist on you. laugh

Emily - You've never had a desire to go to Kansas? For shame! It's… lovely this time of year. wink Actually, it really is. A crisp, cold autumn day when the tall grass has all turned golden and the sky is a brilliant blue? It's amazing. You can stand in one spot and it's like you can feel the earth moving and you realize what a tiny little speck you are in the grand scheme of things.

If you think you're upset that Lois could yell for Superman for so long and not have him hear her, think how she must feel. Thank you for chuckling at her line about wishing she'd insisted on dinner first. Sometimes Lois can be so practical. Not often, mind you, and it's usually in hindsight.

You're right - Clark is in huge emotional turmoil. He's finally worked up the oomph to tell her the truth and she freaks out before he can get to the good part. I think you're right, there's a *facepalm* in her future. wink

You picked up on the angle I was hoping readers would catch - which is that most common criminals know that Lois Lane is special to Superman. Heck, it's even possible she knows something of value about him, isn't it? dizzy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Clark was absolutely working up to confessing. He'd already tried that line in his head the night before. My only regret in telling this scene from Lois' POV is that we don't get to be inside Clark's head when she interrupts him just as he's finally found the courage to confess.
I think it worked from Lois' POV. We the readers could see the signs and figure it out. Now, if you wanted to have Clark remember his frustration and failure to be able to communicate, that would be good too.
To be clearer on the sea vans, they do have a corrugated floor too. The wooden floor is inside a corrugated steel box. The steel box is to keep the contents weather proof against the salt water at sea. Used ones are often used on land for cheap storage facilities you can rent. Sometimes, those have the pallets removed because they are not being lifted while loaded and the pallets themselves are valuable.
Yes, I did have a job that let me know about many strange things and I'm happy I can put it to use here. But I wouldn't have bet on sea vans being one of the things!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Said Sue:
Unfortunately, I have semi-bad news. I'm still waiting to hear back from two of my betas on part 4.
/me is shamed.

Check your inbox.

B

P.S.
Still loved this part. Others have already mentioned how much they liked the scene in the car, but I loved the leg bouncing and Lois's hopes that Clark would want to spend the weekend with her only to freak out that Clark would want to spend the weekend with her was fantastically Lois and Clark.
thumbsup

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Sue S.:

[b]Jen
- Jen! Jen! Jen! You know I always hesitate before I post because I can't take the power I seem to have over your residences lightly. I'm so relieved to hear you're not packing! You didn't mention any roommates, though? :p
[/b]
Ok, I am not even making this up. I spoke too soon. I just got my eviction notice today...(at least I don't do roommates anymore. That's a plus, right?)

Looking forward to the next part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Your posts always crack me up!
blush
I try. After all, FDK is the only workout Muse gets these days hyper

"You don't have to worry about the airfare--."
hyper

Another wave of panic washed through her as he spoke - did she really want to be beholden to Clark because he paid for her ticket too?
I admit, I'm a bit surprised, after all, it's just one episode before she almost accepts his proposal blush

"Please. You think it's a secret that you've been parked here every morning for the past three days? If you want to go incognito, Lois, you should lose the vanity plates."
/mutters and goes getting a towel to clean up water distributed across screen./

"Got me. There's an 800 number to call, if you have something to say. Here." Bobby handed a business card to her. The words 'Information Wanted' were printed on it along with a toll-free phone number. "I just thought, seeing as you guys have ways to contact Superman, you might want to warn him that someone's gunning for him."
Huh... Sue, I think we must talk about your definition of 'a little a-plot'... wink

Lois wondered if she had blown her chances with Clark. She should have said 'yes, I'll go to Kansas with you'. She wanted to explain to him that she had been caught off-guard by his invitation, but Clark's brooding demeanor only increased her anxiety so she said nothing.
huh

Then she blinked a couple of times, disbelieving her eyes as a tiny shaft of daylight shone through the floor.
Huh, I'm thinking she's not swinging on a crane, but what's going on? Maybe she's stashed somewhere in the container park in the harbor...?

Michael, hoping that the flashing folder will soon result in part 4 to appear grovel

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard