Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Comments are love! laugh

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha ha ha! I really enjoyed that.

And I'm sure someone with a more thorough academic background can do a profound analysis of the meanings (both overt and implied) carried by body language and gestures.

I just read the story and laughed.

Well done!

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Ha! Just like TBS. Very funny. laugh

I heart Clark Kent.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ha ha! That was really very funny. And just short enough for me to find the energy to read it, too!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL cute!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
LOL. Two people *can* see the same event in very different ways - this illustrated that very well.

Corrina.

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
rotflol

That was so funny and thoroughly enjoyable.

In the beginning I actually thought that Clark James said that he's going to zap the Mayor, and with the mayor's explanation, I thought, well, that's way off (my initial thought). But great illustration of how two people see things very differently.

rotflol

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I've heard a variant of the joke you base this on. IIRC, the one I heard was originally a silent theological debate one side and practically a barroom brawl on the other.

I am impressed by how well you adapted the joke to the L&C universe.

Joy,
Lynn

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
"...so I threatened to zap him with my heat vision and that was that."
rotflol

I never read that joke, linky?

Books may look like nothing more than words on a page, but they are actually an infinitely complex imaginotransference technology that translates odd, inky squiggles into pictures inside your head.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very clever adaptation of the joke, Queenie! I wish I remembered the original enough to retell it, but yours was terrific. laugh

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
Kerth
The original, as I dimly remember it, was the Chief Rabbi meeting the Pope, with the Pope using an orange to symbolize the Earth, and the rabbi winning the argument because he thinks that the pope has started to eat lunch, and eats some other symbolically significant food (possibly a boiled egg) which somehow wins the argument. But that was probably based on an earlier myth, it probably goes back to the stone age...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
H
Blogger
Blogger
H
please delete previous post which contained a spelling error which garbled the meaning; Thanks

The original story is something like this, and it doesn't make sense any other way.
The Pope decided to exile all the Jews of Rome. The community begged him to reconsider and he said that he would allow them to debate him in pantomime, and the losing side agreed to comply with the wishes of the winner.
The Jewish community found only one volunteer to debate the Pope, a lowly shoemaker, reasoning that if he lost, the Pope might still have mercy on them as it was only an ignorant shoemaker who had debated him.
On the appointed day the two groups met in the great plaza in front of the Vatican. The Pope with all his Bishops and Cardinals, and the few members of the Jewish community who were brave enough to risk the wrath of the Church.
The Pope held one finger high, the shoemaker held up three. The Pope pointed to the horizon , the shoemaker pointed to the ground. The Pope took an apple from his sleeve, the shoemaker took a piece of matzoh (unleavened bread, generally eaten on Passover, or by very poor people who could not afford to get richer or raised bread ). The Pope spoke and said that the shoemaker had won and turned to leave.
Back in the Vatican the Bishops asked the Pope what had happened. The Pope answered that he had first raised one finger to trick the Jews to commit a sin of heresy that G-d is only one, but the shoemaker had replied correctly that He had a triple nature of the Father, Son and Spirit. Then he had pointed to the horizon that G-d was in the heaven and the shoemaker had pointed out that he was there with them. The the Pope said he had pulled out an apple to try to catch the shoemaker in the heresy that the world was round, and he had shown him that the earth was indeed flat, so he had to concede the argument and the Jews were not heretics and could stay.
Back in the ghetto,the shoemaker was asked by the community leaders what had just happened and explained. When the Pope had held up one finger as if to say if to say 'if you don't leave we will beat you with sticks' I held up three to say we'll hit you three times, when he pointed to horizon to say 'go away' I pointed to ground as if to say 'we're staying here, and when he pulled out his lunch, I pulled out mine.

This is based on the fact that during the middle ages and up to the 18th century, many Jewish communities were forced to undergo public debates with representatives of the Church, on the legitimacy of the Torah (the Hebrew Bible) in an effort to force mass conversion or face expulsion.
There is a movie based on one such very famous disputation which took place in the 12th century.I couldn't find it directly but see link here; http://www.curtainup.com/disputation.html

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Please delete previous post which contained a spelling error which garbled the meaning; Thanks
I've deleted the previous post. Just for future reference though, you can edit spelling errors in your posts. Just click on the little icon at the top of your post which looks like a pad and pen, make the changes and then click on the 'edit' button.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Ahahaha. That really was well adapted! I loved it! Especially the "so I threatened to zap him with my heat vision and that was that" bit! laugh

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Nice, thanks Hank.

Books may look like nothing more than words on a page, but they are actually an infinitely complex imaginotransference technology that translates odd, inky squiggles into pictures inside your head.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, everyone! Glad you liked. laugh

~•~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just laughed so hard I almost got kicked out for interrupting Mom's TV-show! THANKS!

Great story, awesome adaptation! Loved it!

Love and hot fudge,
Bren Ren
Columnist
Columnist
Oh gosh! That was hilarious! I died laughing!

.talk nerdy to me.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard