Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#75010 11/19/10 03:52 AM
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Hi Lynn,

When I stop by these days, I'm nearly always looking for one-shots. Yours are always a pleasure to find.

This was great - the sig at the end completely surprised me, although it was also completely in character.

I agree with your point above that this wouldn't change Lois' behavior at all. I see her response as more an argument with the author. And I can see her arguing it in person with Clark beforehand, even under the pretense of "look what's happening to our friend" - does she know Clark and Superman are friends yet? It's in this type of verbal debate I also imagine the wheels in her head turning and her asking, "You don't happen to... nah, Kent's a pretty common last name." Clark blushes or something and the secret is out. Which of course only fuels Lois' anger more.

A one-shot that can cause me to see this much of what comes after it has to be great! Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning.

- Nancy

#75011 11/19/10 09:20 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your day-brightening feedback. I'm thrilled that my story stayed with you long enough for you to have all of these thoughts about what might happen next.

I had been trying to come up with a sequel, but it just isn't gelling, and I don't think it will. So instead of writing it up as a story, I'll just lay out a plot summary of what I had had in mind, and if it strikes a chord with anyone, they are free to use it or adapt it as they see fit.

---begin plot summary---

Clark writes the letter and, while he is proofing it, is called away on Superman duty. Before he leaves, he turns off his monitor. This gesture attracts Lois' attention, since Clark doesn't usually shut it off. As soon as she thinks the coast is clear, she turns the monitor on and downloads the file onto a floppy disk; she reads the letter at leisure that evening. Although she reacts to the content of the letter (arguing with her computer monitor), she can't say anything to Clark about it, since she doesn't want him to know that she had been snooping on his computer.

At this point in the story -- before Clark submits the letter for possible publication -- the events from the episode 'The Man of Steel Bars' start taking place. Because public opinion has turned sour against Superman, Clark never does submit the letter. In fact, he deletes it from his computer.

This is where the plot loses its clarity in my mind. At some point during TMoSB, Lois would speak with Superman (perhaps when he is incarcerated) and, in an attempt to cheer him up, she would remind him of all the good he has done, and that some of it did not even require him to use his powers. In that context, she would bring up the fund-raising auctions. Superman would agree that "the proceeds will be put to commendable use" -- a phrase taken verbatim from the letter. He might use one or two other phrases from it, as well. (Keep in mind that Clark doesn't know that Lois has read the letter.)

Lois recognizes the phrase, remembers where it comes from, adds two and two, and comes up with the equation S=CK.It would probably take her a while for her to recall where she had heard that phrase, and she would go back to her floppy disk copy of Clark's letter to verify it. So the revelation would not occur during the above conversation. So now, she knows; and she knows that Clark doesn't know she knows. <Insert fun with L&C here>.

---end plot summary---

My problem with this story line is that the revelation serves as its climax. Other authors have written so many fantastic revelation stories that I don't want to write a revelation story unless I feel that I can put a really unique spin on it. And, to be completely candid, this story doesn't seem different enough to me to warrant my writing it. But, as I mentioned earlier, if anyone is inspired by this plot summary and wishes to run with it, they have my blessings.

Joy,
Lynn

#75012 11/21/10 02:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful story, can't wait to see more.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard