Joy,
Lynn

#74991 11/02/10 04:33 AM
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
Awesome. I would love to hear LL's reaction to this. I can see her going ballistic.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
#74992 11/02/10 04:42 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks, L! I would guess that Lois would point out that, for all they knew, Superman was *not* a "mere mortal," and that, given his ability to levitate, he might well not even put his tights on one leg at a time. (And that's assuming that they even come off in the first place!) And, of course, just because most people can't handle having fans, that doesn't mean that *Superman* couldn't.

I'm sure she would attribute "C. Jerome Kent's" (whom she may or may not realize is Clark -- I don't think she knows his middle name at this point) attitude to sour grapes.

And I suspect that she would have a healthy (or, perhaps, unhealthy) dose of denial that her own mooning would fall into the category of "fawning."

In any event, I doubt that her behaviour toward Superman would change in any way as a result of the letter, despite what Clark might have hoped when he wrote it.

Joy,
Lynn

#74993 11/02/10 05:54 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol I was just going to say how much I enjoyed this, but seeing the above tidbit about Lois's reaction just makes me want more. laugh

~•~
#74994 11/02/10 10:07 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was so clever, Lynn!! Would definitely love to see a reaction from Lois!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#74995 11/02/10 10:58 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, that was good! Loved every word, and never a truer word written. As other posters have pointed out, this could really lead somewhere... a response from Lois for starters. smile Oh heck, why not just write a whole lengthy story and use that as the starting point... I'd look forward to it. wink

Well done. thumbsup

Cheers
Elizabeth

#74996 11/02/10 02:41 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Cute, a delightful read. I do think Clark would have signed it using one of his pseudonyms but then it wouldn't have been as funny.

For a sequel you could show Lois Lane emoting about it to Clark. Assuming in their verse Clark used a pseudonym. smile

Framework4
#74997 11/02/10 02:53 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Mary, Mozartmaid and Elizabeth, thanks! I am definitely open to the possibility of writing a sequel. Unfortunately, I am at my muse's mercy. I would guess that more experienced and talented writers than I might be able to decide to write about a particular idea and come up with something good. I, alas, am unable to do so. But if my muse cooperates, I'll gladly write such a story.

Patrick, I had actually debated with myself whether to have Clark sign it with a less transparent name. I finally decided that, in the interest of realism, I would settle for "C. Jerome Kent." The few times I have ever written letters to the editor, they have always verified that I did, in fact, write them, and they required that my real name be used in publication. (I know they make exceptions in very rare instances -- for example, if a letter writer mentions having been a victim of a rape and wishes to remain anonymous for publication. But I doubt that they would make an exception in Clark's case.) I can understand why the newspapers would do this -- If person A writes a letter in person B's name, and the paper publishes the letter, it is leaving itself wide open for a lawsuit.

I figured that "C. Jerome Kent" was the best Clark would be able to do with disguising his name and still be able to get the letter published.

Joy,
Lynn

#74998 11/02/10 02:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute concept.

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#74999 11/02/10 03:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The kicker to that story was the signature at the end of the letter. I laughed out loud.

#75000 11/02/10 03:38 PM
K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Fantastically true to character and LOL funny...thank you thank you thank you lol

#75001 11/02/10 05:26 PM
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Imagine what Metropolis would be like if Superman were to develop a prima donna attitude!
Hahaha, I loved that line goofy

This was really cleverly written, with the kicker being the author of the letter. lol, I enjoyed this!

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -- Albert Einstein
#75002 11/03/10 08:46 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Really cute!

smile

#75003 11/04/10 03:42 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Wow! I am astonished and delighted at the amount of positive feedback this piece has received. Thank you!!! smile1

Laura and DW, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I'm glad you liked the piece. smile

Iolanthe and LadyMoira, I wasn't sure whether the letter's author would come as a surprise or not. I had hoped that it might be a fun little twist at the end. I'm glad that it worked for you both.

Katie, thanks. I thought it would be nice to see Clark a little more proactive in his response to the public. Pretty much all he did in canon was whine about it to his parents. I'm glad the letter came across to you as still being in character.

I do have the germ of an idea that I hope will grow to be a sequel.

Joy,
Lynn

#75004 11/04/10 08:37 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, neat idea! I think you should keep the signature at the end as opposed to a pen name; it emphasizes the "twist" to have the author be obvious. (And since it's written only six months or so after Superman has appeared, it's not likely anyone in Metropolis would realize it was written by Clark.)

I don't know that it needs a sequel -- as much as I, too, found myself grinning over Lois's potential response, continuing might take away the impact of the one-shot. But I guess it depends on what you come up with and how it flows.

Nice job. smile

Kathy

#75005 11/04/10 09:57 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hilarious little tale! Loved it clap I kept wondering if it might be Clark.

I would guess that Lois would point out that, for all they knew, Superman was *not* a "mere mortal," and that, given his ability to levitate, he might well not even put his tights on one leg at a time. (And that's assuming that they even come off in the first place!) And, of course, just because most people can't handle having fans, that doesn't mean that *Superman* couldn't.
Yes, indeed. rotflol But I would expect Lois going ballistic over her *very* junior partner for being so presumptuous, small-minded, jealous, and not to forget, mean-spirited that he would try to rob Superman of his accolades laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#75006 11/04/10 03:35 PM
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
The kicker to that story was the signature at the end of the letter. I laughed out loud.
Me too rotflol

I wasn't sure whether the letter's author would come as a surprise or not.
For me it was, as I was reading I had no idea who could be writing, for a moment I considered Mayson, but then thought she would have added some "dangerous vigilante" comment.

Books may look like nothing more than words on a page, but they are actually an infinitely complex imaginotransference technology that translates odd, inky squiggles into pictures inside your head.
#75007 11/04/10 03:49 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
VERY good vignette. I laughed at the signature, and I chuckled when the letter talked about such adulation going to Superman's head. And a hundred grand for a cape? With bullet holes in it? Priceless! (The item in the story, not the cape itself, you understand.) This was so very typical of Clark.

And whether or not you develop a response from L. J. Lane, this is a quality story. I know that you'll get e-mail about it for quite some time when it goes to the archive.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#75008 11/05/10 07:03 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
More feedback? Wow! Thank you! I am amazed and *very* appreciative. smile1

Kathy, thank you for presenting the other side on the signature and sequel matters. I do have the start of a sequel idea, but unless, when I flesh it out, I consider it to be one of my better stories, I won't post it. I am very aware that the trend for sequels is for them not to be as good as the original, and I don't want that to happen here.

Michael,I can certainly see Lois acting in the way you described.

Tasadi, I am honoured that you chose to provide me feedback as one of your first posts here. Welcome! You'll find this to be a very friendly group.

Terry, your effusive praise nearly leaves me speechless. So I'll just say, "Thank you! You made my day!" blush

Joy,
Lynn

#75009 11/09/10 12:18 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A very interesting one-shot ! I imagine Clark writing it, totally his style to temper the adulation of the people !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard