OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Yay happiness! Next chapter has the boring title of "Unity." :p

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
e and his wife Araz had initially jumped at the opportunity for him to be part of the Green Guard.
Araz? laugh I think that's the farthest you went with the names. But then, now it's not really that hard anymore to figure things out wink

He could throw a dagger with pinpoint accuracy
So, North is going to die from a dagger to the heart?

And--to make things worse--he had also been leering at Araz lately. It made Cheen nervous. Kryptonian law dictated that one man could not take another’s wife--but that was only so long as that other man was living. Did the king want Cheen to die so he could marry Araz? Would the king find an excuse to kill Cheen himself? His greed was such that Cheen would not put it past him.
Nah, he would just arrange an accident, then comfort the widow, then send her off once he's had his fun.

Even if Cheen hadn’t been part of their hushed conversations behind closed doors, he would have been able to guess at their wavering loyalty at a battle like this.
Wonder how much that's just because of the horses?

Cheen turned his gaze toward King North, who was staring at the boy with a stunned expression. “Kallel?” North breathed in disbelief. “Is it you? You’re alive?”
Oops?

But Cheen had no desire to hurt either of them. Instead, he dropped to his knees and bowed.
That's what you call Karma, right?

“I will kill you,” growled King North. His eyes were filled with fury as he glared at his opponent.
Now, now, killing the king, that's a big no-no.

“Your little queen is worried about you,” sneered North as he parried the stableboy’s sword. “Perhaps I ought to kill her so you won’t be distracted by her screams anymore.”
confused Why kill her instead of marry her?

“*No*!” Clarkent growled, lunging forward. He would protect the princess no matter what.
Is that a slip in Clarkent's mind?

North swallowed, his eyes fixed on the sword. “Green Guard!” he growled, a note of desperation in his voice. “Come protect your king!”
Uhm... is that wise? Ordering the royal guard to protect the man holding a sword to your throat?

King North appeared just as taken aback as she was. When he finally found his voice, he hissed, “Rise, you imbeciles! *I* am your king! Not this tattered *boy*!”
See. Told ya.

But instead of pain and darkness, there was a gargling noise and a sharp intake of breath.

Clarkent opened his eyes. North was slumping to the ground, a dagger embedded in his throat.
Dagger. Check.

One of the Kryptonians gasped, and another said, “Is that the Merlin? I thought he was dead.”
Okay, I did not see the name 'Merlin' coming. Interesting dig-up with the two falcon-names. Now, all we have to do is figure out how the entire LnC matches to the Arthur-legend laugh

As he stared up at her, he thought about how beautiful she was, even in her Gawain clothes. She was his battlefield angel--his warrior queen.
laugh

“I thought the Kryptonian people needed a symbol that all was not lost,” Peri told them, drawing Clarkent’s attention back to him. “The sword’s magic was strong by itself. When I applied my magic to it, the spell created was powerful indeed. You were the only one who could have pulled that sword out, Clarkent. And now these Kryptonians know you’re their king beyond a doubt.” He gestured for Clarkent to rise; he was done with the poisoned arm.
Hmm, to answer your question from the previous FDK, or maybe ask one in return. Why did the sudden appearance of an enchanted sword suffice? Couldn't North have simply had the rock carried away? It would be different if it where an old legend. But the sword appeared just 18 years ago out of nowhere. I'm not sure that's enough to establish legitimacy evil

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Blogger
Blogger
Loved how everything tied together with a very Arthurian twist! smile1

Cool how you added in a little background info for the Green Guards and why they were so willing to switch sides. I love how North got to see the allegiance switch before he died.

The only question I have is how did Merlin come into play? There's no clues for it, and if there are, I must have been blind to them. Or is it something more of a blind twist?

Anyways, I loved this latest part! Especially now that he can love her bc they are finally at the same "level". thumbsup

Waiting for more hyper

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
More! I am completely addicted to this story...I cannot wait to read it in one piece when it gets to the archive.

This was a great part. I love the deeper meanings of everything, and I thought it was so fabulous how it all played out. Clark's realization at the end was priceless!

Amber

D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Michael--
Is that a slip in Clarkent's mind?
Nope. Just the author's. :p Should be fixed now.

Why did the sudden appearance of an enchanted sword suffice? Couldn't North have simply had the rock carried away? It would be different if it where an old legend. But the sword appeared just 18 years ago out of nowhere. I'm not sure that's enough to establish legitimacy
I believe in Le Morte d'Arthur and The Once and Future King the sword in the stone appeared by the church right after Arthur's father died--"out of nowhere," so to speak, though I guess with the added Christian element. Thus, it wasn't an old legend. Plus, in T.H. White's work, Arthur was 15 when he drew the sword. I guess I figure that for my story there's a big respect/fear for magic. Nobody's been able to draw the sword, and finally someone does, and it gives Kryptonians the chance to get out from under a tyrant. Clarkent's hold will then be further solidified by the reappearance of "the Merlin." That's kind of my take.

Plain Jane-- Glad you liked the Arthurian twist! laugh I'm a fan of Arthurian literature, heh.

I didn't really aim to give any clues about the whole Merlin thing. However, it's not completely out of nowhere (though it mostly is, I guess, heh). Peri's a magician, and there's a mysterious sword in the stone (and some other Arthurian connections). Plus, there's the bird connection--Peregrine Falcons and Merlins are both raptors. Both kingdoms therefore associate Peri with a raptor. It was just a fun little twist I wanted.

Anyways, I loved this latest part!
laugh I'm glad!!

Amber-- Hahaha. I'm glad you are liking it, and I'm also glad you like how everything played out! smile It's been really fun to write.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard