A
I'll accept tomato-throwing, but praise is preferred. wink

#73945 09/21/10 12:59 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Then praise you shall receive! wink

I enjoyed reading this story. Your take on the revelation was different from any other I have read. Whatever other reaction Lois might have had in other stories -- anger, excitement, embarrassment at not having figured it our on her own, etc. -- she was always surprised, at least initially. You conveyed her overall emotional numbness well enough that her lack of surprise even at such a momentous revelation really works well.

I also like how you used an inanimate object as the axis around which this whole relationship-story revolves.

Well done! smile

Joy,
Lynn

#73946 09/21/10 01:16 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree, no tomatoes necessary! Really nicely done, especially the revelation. Very well handled.

“Aren’t you going to ask me what the LL stands for?” I asked him, wanting to get this over with. I was sure he was dying with curiosity.

But Jimmy just looked at me in confusion for a moment. “It’s not ‘Lois Lane’?” he asked.

I flushed. Lois Lane. How had I not thought of that? Before-Lois would have. Or well, before-Lois should have. Because she hadn’t. Maybe before-Lois wasn’t so great. If she had been, I wouldn’t be in this position, right?
Ok, I get where you are coming from, but I am pretty sure Lois would have been a bit quicker to realize LL can also stand for Lois Lane. wink Just sayin'... But maybe what you're trying to point out is she was so wrapped up in transforming if you will, into Lois Luthor, that she doesn't see the forest for the trees, so to speak?

Cause I DO like the before/after-Lois. That is a really interesting take. Cause you're right... she does change, ever so slightly. And somewhat ironically, it's the change that eventually opens her up to Clark. But still... maybe this bit needs just a tweak. I still think she wouldn't need Jimmy to point out Lois Lane in LL...

Except I didn’t have a choice. Some bizarre law in Metropolis – once you received your vanity plates, you needed to surrender your original plates. I had tried to convince the DMV that I didn’t even want the vanity plates, but they wouldn’t take them back.
I had to laugh a little at this. I had vanity plates 'Opera Em' that I wanted to keep, and the DMV refused! I had sold my car and they wouldn't let me keep my old plates (no new car to put them on either). I feel your pain at the DMV, Lois!

“I needed to. I can’t… Lois, I can’t do this anymore. I want to be there for you. To be your friend. I can’t… if you need me to stay away I can, but…”

“But what?” I asked, confused by the look in his eyes.

“I can’t stay in Metropolis. I can’t… I can’t see you everyday and barely speak to you. I just can’t,” he said now.
Aw, poor Clark. This broke my heart just a little...

Can we start right here? We’re best friends and partners and you happen to have another job saving the world?”
Loved this line! thumbsup

Anyway, glad you're writing again! Want to see more!!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#73947 09/21/10 02:18 PM
Kerth
Kerth
“I don’t want you to feel like this is something else you missed, like… well, like the other thing you missed.”
Maybe it's PMS, but I teared up when I read that. What a sweet way to express the friendship, respect and love that Clark feels for Lois. <sniffle>

Nicely done! clap

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#73948 09/21/10 02:41 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This was a great story! Any chance we'll see what happens next?

I heart Clark Kent.
#73949 09/21/10 02:48 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I really like the revelation. Very original! You capture her emotional state really well.

#73950 09/21/10 03:38 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can't see anything here that would make anyone even consider tomato throwing. Definitely a poignant story, but the characterization was believable and I really felt for the characters. I liked how the revelation itself played out -- I definitely got that Lois was so absorbed by what she had done that she had no anger to give when it came to Clark's secret. Her reaction (or non-reaction, in this case) fit perfectly with your set up, so you clearly did a good job with setting the tone of the story.

The only quibble I had was that I, too, was surprised when Lois didn't make the LL connection on her own without Jimmy mentioning it. I can certainly see her not being able to forget about the original intent of them and that they would be a constant reminder of what she went through. But to not even realize that they were still her initials was a bit odd; it seems like the sort of thing she would have realized as soon as she and Lex got engaged and she considered whether to change her name, or at the very least when she ordered the plates.

But again, it's only a minor blip on what was an otherwise very absorbing fic. Nice job. smile

Kathy

#73951 09/21/10 04:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute story

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#73952 09/21/10 05:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tremendous story. The emotional tone was incredibly well done.

I disagree with the previous posters about the "LL" - I think you showed (as one poster said) that Lois obsessed about Lex so much that she thought everyone knew that the license plates stood for "Lois Luthor". "The wicked flee when no man pursueth."

But of course Clark knew. He's the only one. And this hook to the story made it great. (Plus the writing.)

#73953 09/21/10 07:45 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
clap
This is wonderful and beautiful and touching and... well, all that stuff.

You captured Lois's pain so very well. She was lost and confused and trying to deal with it the only way she knew how.

Clark's last-ditch desperation act to save their relationship seemed perfect and very Clark-like.

Very, very well done. hail

Bob

#73954 09/22/10 12:48 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
“With the new license plates, you’ll never have trouble finding your car.”
And neither will the bad guys... dizzy

Nice story.

malu

#73955 09/22/10 01:00 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Can't see how tomato-throwing would even cross my mind while reading your story.

It was excellently written and I too liked the distinction between the before- and after-Lois.

It was total sense that Lois wouldn't have thought that the LL on the vanity plates could represent her name as well - she didn't feel like herself for a couple of month after the almost wedding to Luthor.

Great story clap

#73956 09/22/10 04:46 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I liked your shell shocked wading through quicksand Lois Lane. Nicely done.

Framework4
#73957 09/22/10 08:30 AM
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
Wow. So much packed into a one-shot. VERY good and touching. One of my favorite revelations now because it didn't have the usual stammering and rage. Just terrific and very much in character

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
#73958 09/22/10 09:35 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just right.

At first I, too, thought that Lois was being really dense about the initials, but it soon became evidence of just how depressed and obsessed she was. She really was 'not herself.' And I loved that Clark was brave enough to make a pretty dramatic move to get them both out of the funk they were in. And thank you for not giving in to the temptation to send them straight to lovey-dovey land. That's not what Lois needs at this point. She just needs to get her old self, and her old friend, back again. She'll have time for the rest later.

Well done!

This *is* my happily ever after.
#73959 09/22/10 10:53 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by anonpip:
I'll accept tomato-throwing, but praise is preferred. wink
Oh, in that case... /puts tomatoes away again/ wink

Nancy, it's great to see you found time for new fic. And it sure was a nice little waffy viggy.

I never even thought hat LL could stand for Lois Luthor on the plates. But true, from the way you put things together, it certainly could work that way.

Very well tied together. thumbsup

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#73960 09/22/10 05:41 PM
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Wow! I didn't expect that much of a response. Thank you!!

I have to say it's funny that so many of you commented on the revelation. Not that it wasn't a big part of the fic, but I hadn't ever intended for Clark to do that, so in my head, this isn't a revelation fic. I had wanted this story to fit into the original timeline and just explore what happened in the summer between the first two seasons. But as often happens when I write, my characters took me in a different direction.

Mozartmaid and Kathy - So I have to come clean. This idea came from watching an episode - I don't recall which one as I watched it over a year ago and the idea just simmered since then - where Lois' license plates were visible and were LL. At first, I was surprised - she didn't turn those in when she didn't become Lois Luthor? But then I remembered. (Try to cut me a little slack on how stupid this was - I had a newborn in the house at the time.) But I could really see Lois making the same mistake.

I think Lois got caught up in marrying Luthor - I always got the impression that part of what Lois found attractive about him was simply that a man like him (or the Lex she thought he was) was interested in her. And the other part was just dazzled by the idea of belonging in his world. I can easily see her swept up in the idea of being Lois Luthor and not realizing that her initials aren't changing.

And then later, in the time of this story, she's just not up to par. Like she says in the story - she's a slow, watered down version of herself. Normal Lois would have caught that, but this Lois can't. As HappyGirl says, she's depressed.

IolantheAlias, DW, and HappyGirl - Thank you for letting me know that this worked for you!

Lynn and L - I've always struggled with revelations. I've written several as I find that aspect of Lois and Clark's relationship interesting, but while I often think Lois' anger is more than justified, I don't believe I can do it justice in my writing. This one was sort of fun as it was easier as I really could see her being too shell-shocked and depressed to react at all.

Mozartmaid and DW - I agree that Lois changes during this time and that change is part of what opens the door for her to come to love Clark. I always get the sense that she realizes she cares for him at the end of season 1, but the type of relationship they develop later couldn't have formed then. I've always felt like there wasn't enough shown during this period - what happens after the wedding.

This was what I wanted to explore here - I could so easily see Lois slipping into a depressed state, but how did she get out of it (meaning the details, besides the obvious, which is that Clark helped her)? Of course, as stated above, I hadn't expected him to help her in quite the way he did here, but oh well...

Sue - I'm so glad you mentioned that line. I was worried about how to carry this off - once Clark convinced me that he had to give away his secret, I was worried that it wouldn't be believable that this would actually work. It could so easily have gone the other way and made Lois slip more into depression. I just hoped Clark managed to convey enough of his emotions for her not to get caught up on the whole idea of missing some other big secret.

Jen - Thanks! But not much hope for a sequel. Like I said, I had wanted this to fit into the original timeline. I realize it doesn't anymore, but if I had to move them forward from here, I think I'd try to move us closer to the Lois and Clark we know than they are right now, so it wouldn't be a very interesting story.

Thanks, Amy, Laurach, and Patrick!

Bobbart - I'm glad Clark's act came across as desperate and believable. That's basically how it felt to me. When Clark showed up at Lois' door, I really couldn't think of anything he could say to move her past her depression. The revelation in the end seemed like the only hope.

Malu - I thought the same thing when I saw the plates in the original episode. Don't know what the writers were thinking. huh

HappyGirl - Since I hadn't intended to break canon, the idea of getting them together never crossed my mind. I so don't see them being anywhere near ready for that.

Michael - It's funny how different people see things differently. As I said above, I went to Lois Luthor before Lois Lane when I saw her plates. No idea why. I actually had this story idea written down before I realized what an idiot I was being.

#73961 09/22/10 07:19 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You know what, I really liked this fic a lot. It delved into what was missing from the show - that Lois didn't just snap back to her usual self after the whole thing with Luthor.

Loved the reveal, very nicely done! Thank you for taking the time to write this story!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
#73962 09/22/10 11:35 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
This was a great one-shot! I was confused as I read it--but it was a good kind of confused. Lois's emotional state is absolutely reflected by the writing, and you did a really good job with that. It is great how the dialogue at the end sort of gives some focus as Clark pulls Lois up out of her slump.

Your usage of the license plates and the before-Lois and after-Lois thing was handled very nicely. Very great job with this story!

#73963 09/26/10 02:25 PM
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Thanks, bellarata and Deja Vu!

Bellarata - I agree - I've always thought that part of the story was lacking. No one moves on from that sort of experience without any set backs.

Deja Vu - Thanks! I guess I'm glad you were confused... maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard