Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
So here’s a question for you. If you read the excerpt I posted previously, you’ll probably notice it’s quiet a bit different from what you read here. Anyone want to venture as guess as to why? I’ll make my guess later. wink

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In no particular order...

Thanks for reminding me of the trailer. Well, I certainly did not miss this particular neon sign. This is just the first time Lois is watching the kids camp out. The second time around, Clark will be there and catch her when she falls. Only, why he is going to have to go back to 1987, I don't know. Except, maybe, since it's exactly 10 years and 20 years from two other POVs of the story, it could be a time machine glitch that deposits him there.

/goes and pulls out 'Advanced Time Travel, Theory and Practice', by Brown and Wells/

Btw, even though I knew from the trailer what we were supposed to expect, I was still captivated by the possibility that for some reason you a) put up the trailer as a red herring or b) they were actual mobsters the first time around.

Lois wanted to tell them not to bother calling Daddy. She knew what they needed to do: they needed to stop jostling her around because suddenly she felt very sick to her stomach. She opened her mouth to tell them to stop but before she could, she threw up.
Well. Concussion.

Now that would be a job worth doing.
Yeah, but the danger she's going to be to the health of others. Like her editor, in case he has a heart condition...

“No one knows exactly how changing the past would affect the present, since it’s never been done before,”
Yes, but he could always rescue her in the last moment and bring her into the future. This way, only the maggots looking for a host would be affected.

After all, wouldn’t it be better to keep it just in case he might have dire need of a time machine in the future?
E.g. in case he gets all hormonal and needs a Lois laugh

Bob and Carol...
mecry

Michael, who has no idea why ML is digging in the past, except because Clark is going to screw up, big time...

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Ooh, and it just gets more interesting!

I agree with Michael on the time changes from the expert and what you posted in 1B - that Clark will somehow manage to build the time machine (will he need gold too?) and change the past and somehow end up further in the past than planned.

Linda stealing Lois' story is sad and painful for Lois, but very well portrayed indeed!

Looking forward to 1C! laugh

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
quote:
-------------------------------------------------
“Paul Benson is currently a senior majoring in journalism,”

So, what's up the name change?
So far as I remember, Paul isn't given a last name on the show. The script shows him as Paul Bender, but since Bender is the name of Luthor's slimy lawyer, I went with Benson. If I'm wrong, and he did have a different last name on the show, let me know ad I'll change it.

I'm wondering if, given the lack of response to part 1b, if posting two such long parts on succeeding days is a bit much for people to keep up with. So I'm wondering if I should post the next section on Monday at midnight instead of tonight at midnight. I don't want to get too far ahead of people.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'm wondering if, given the lack of response to part 1b, if posting two such long parts on succeeding days is a bit much for people to keep up with.
That is the case for me. I've kept up so far, but it is the weekend now. Tomorrow begins a new semester for me. The start of a semester, especially the fall semester, is always extremely busy. I'm not sure whether I would be able to keep up with reading daily posts, much as I would want to.

So I'm wondering if I should post the next section on Monday at midnight instead of tonight at midnight. I don't want to get too far ahead of people.
But some readers having to fall behind doesn't necessarily mean you should switch to every other day. I, for one, don't mind having a backlog of parts to read as time permits. smile

And I am very much enjoying the story thus far. This is one of the first stories of yours that I have read, and I now understand why so many people were so excited about a new MLT fic. I just checked out the archive site and see that I have a lot of fun reading ahead of me. :-) I've just added your name to the list of authors I am keeping whose works I want to read.

Joy,
Lynn

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sorry I'm late to the party, but there is so much I have to do at school right now.

Well, what a twist! The part where Clark saves Lois from the tree has been changed! So here is my guess. The episode originally happened the way you told it here. After Clark tried to save Lois's life in the Congo, however, her entire life changed. No, wait! Clark kept that time machine thingamy, and he obviously used it again at a later date. He has been trying to save Lois in the Congo, and he is going to search for her in time now that he can't find her on the Earth, so to speak. And viola, he finds that she is in danger as an eight-year-old and saves her.

I absolutely adored the way eight-year-old Lois thought about Batman and Robin (make that Robin and Batman). I'd like to tell you that I was utterly shocked when I was told, at around eighteen, that girls can be called Robin in the United States (and presumably in Canada). Robin!!! There is Robin Hood and there is Batman's Robin, so how can they name a girl Robin?

And Linda is back to her normal self, eh? She destroyed Lois's story?

Fascinating snippet about Cat Grant, the bimbette! Well, as Lois observed, Cat must have some brains after all. Maybe Cat would make a better friend than Linda?

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm catching up with parts 1a & b tonight, but that definitely doesn't mean you shouldn't post every day. Having a chapter of this story to look forward to every morning sounds like heaven to me. thumbsup

I'm intrigued by this story, and not simply because of the neat concept and your always great writing and plotting. Your comment above, highlighting the difference between Lois's childhood scene here and the one in the original teaser definitely caught my eye. When I first read the scene and saw that it was different from the teaser, it occurred to me that this story was going to be more complex than I'd originally believed -- you're clearly putting a heck of a lot more in here than just Clark bouncing his way through Lois's timeline in order to get her to trust him when it comes to her Congo trip. The question now becomes, of course, whether you're going to get him there eventually ... or if I had made the completely wrong assumption about the story from the get-go. Either way, I'm along for the ride and am eager to find out how it all unfolds.

In the meantime, let me just point out that I was amused by the way you included Cat Grant in the story, but I literally laughed out loud when I realized who Bob was. Bob and Carol, LOL! I guess it's too much to hope for that he'll turn out to be a good guy and he and Carol and Lois and Clark will all become best buds in the future when this is all over, huh? He and Clark could swap costuming ideas. Hee.

Now as for your cliffhanger, am I the only one who didn't assume it was Linda who stole Lois's story, but rather, the coach who was about to be exposed trying to cover his tracks? Not sure who will ultimately be at fault, but that was my first thought.

And on a completely personal note, I have to finish by saying I really grinned at Lois banging on Molly's door in the middle of the night for computer help. You see, in the spring of 1987, I, too, was a college freshman, and I found myself in Lois's very situation -- my term paper, which I'd nearly finished, suddenly disappeared off the computer system. I was on the verge of a complete panic attack when a guy I'd recently met happened by and asked me what was wrong. Upon hearing my tale of woe, he did exactly what Molly did -- he took me back to the computer lab and sat down at the same computer and started typing all sorts of commands ... only he then FOUND my lost paper for me. My hero! So of course I had to find a way to thank him ... and that involved spending extra time getting to know him ... and, well, one thing led to another, and four years later, I married him. <g>

Can't wait for 1c!

Kathy

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
This is one of the first stories of yours that I have read, and I now understand why so many people were so excited about a new MLT fic. I just checked out the archive site and see that I have a lot of fun reading ahead of me. :-)
Not all my stories are all that great. blush This fandom has witnessed, I think, my evolution as a writer. I'm still too wordy (a problem brought on by my profession). But at least I think I've improved since writing my first story (but then, I couldn't have gotten much worse). laugh

well, one thing led to another, and four years later, I married him. <g>
Now you've given away the whole plot! Molly and Lois move to Canada and get married! Well, so much for this story having a surprise twist! laugh

As for when to post... You guys were supposed to agree on when I should post! How am I supposed to figure this out on my own? grumble Maybe I'll go to my usual every other day posting for now. I need to have the whole thing posted before Canadian Thanksgiving, though, since I've got company coming and likely won't be able to post then. So I'll have to play it by ear, I guess.

As for the change between the part I orgininally posted and what is in this story... Maybe I just decided I didn't like the other version and rewrote it. wink Of course, that might not be the case either.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

ML wave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everyone else had such great feedback, and it's late, so all I'll say is: Very good. Interesting plotlines. I'm already getting a little confused trying to figure out what happened when (although the clear headers with date and time are very helpful.)

Hmm... concussed Lois - did she die then, of her concussion and undiagnosed cerebral bleeding?

I'll definitely have to re-read this one five or six times so I can pick up on all the subtle hints you're strewing around. (and I'm sure I'll miss even more hints.)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm late, but I loved to log in this morning and find TWO parts of this story! Woohoo! Something to brighten a Monday morning! hyper

About these parts, I'm suspecting that Clark will build the time machine but, as he has never used it alone before, he will end up on a wrong time, further back than he intended to. But it could be a good thing. If Lois sees him as her guardian angel, it's more likely that she will believe him when he says she will die if she goes to the Congo. wink

I'm looking forward to the next part. It's great to have a new chapter every day! It's addicting! I want MORE! hyper hyper hyper

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
Post frequently!! It's okay to have a backlog of parts to read!!

My guess: maybe Clark realizes the only way to keep Lois from going to the Congo is to keep her from ever becoming a journalist SO on one of his travels to the past (not as far back as 87') he finds out that Lois decided to become a journalist when she was 9 years old. So he travels back to 87' and doesn't realize that he's already run into the 9 year old Lois (until she gives her name of course), so by him telling her she should become a reporter he's just undid what he set out to undo. Ha! This is awesome.

LOVED this part. All the references to LnC characters is awesome! And dang I hated Linda in the series but now I REALLY hate her! Post tonight!!!! grovel

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So far as I remember, Paul isn't given a last name on the show. The script shows him as Paul Bender, but since Bender is the name of Luthor's slimy lawyer, I went with Benson. If I'm wrong, and he did have a different last name on the show, let me know ad I'll change it.
Hmm... Ah, yeah... Went to check out script and episode and it's quite different. No last name on the show. Something I'm noticing quite a bit with novels and live-action: you get quite fewer names on the screen than you get in the written version. Anyway, no last name on the show. But on the other hand, she was already dating Paul on the show and 'things where happening'. She also used 'Linda pleased him' instead of 'Linda impressed him'. And the story was meant to get Paul from liking her as a date to crushing on her as a girlfriend.

I think it was Carol who actually connected the two Benders. Or was it Nancy evil

But I'm digressing...

As for the change between the part I orgininally posted and what is in this story... Maybe I just decided I didn't like the other version and rewrote it. [Wink] Of course, that might not be the case either.
Yeah. right. I'll believe *that* before this statement:
Not all my stories are all that great.
blush

So I'm wondering if I should post the next section on Monday at midnight instead of tonight at midnight.
Oh, and just forget what I mentioned in my FDK for part 1a about ED vs. EoD posting might be helping in managing my time. Completely overrated... Time-management, that is.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
I agree that this is the version of events before Clark decides to intervene. So the $64,000 question is, what precipitates his intervention?

Oh, and I loved Lois's logic on Batman and Robin. Girl after my own heart. wink

Rac

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hmm... concussed Lois - did she die then, of her concussion and undiagnosed cerebral bleeding?
Well, she couldn't have died since she is alive and well in 1987. Of course, that could change if Clark starts messing around with the past. eek

Oh, and I loved Lois's logic on Batman and Robin. Girl after my own heart.
Except that after I posted, I realized that I gave away our big secret - that all the guys will now realize that when they are thinking we all have cooties, we're thinking they're dumb. laugh

I'm enjoying all the discussion/theories about what is happening/will happen/has happened... or whatever! And the answer is... yes... or no... well, it's either one or the other. cool

So next part... midnight tonight.

ML wave

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Every day. Always Every Day for ML fic!

Even if I don't post FDK, guarantee I'm reading!

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
quote:
Steve... oh, what was his last name again? Steve... Spartan! That was it. She knew it was some kind of apple.

So, Steve Jobs, huh? I just don't get the dig with Spartan. Bob Fences, sure. But Spartan? /asks for help/
I was getting ready for tonight's posting when I realized I hadn't answered this question. A Spartan is a type of apple. Steve Jobs invented Apple computers.

ML wave

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah, I see. Thanks smile

Michael

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard