Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73121 08/15/10 01:56 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Preview of 41

"Are you expecting crowds of people at the entrance to the Lexor Ballroom Center?"

"The police are," Clark said. "I talked with them about it yesterday."

"Is this going to be a problem for them?"

"It shouldn't be. It's the Summer Festival that weekend, so they'll have extra numbers on duty to deal with the crowds. Our wedding will be just one more event."

"How will we get to the Lexor Hotel? Fly?"

"Linda wants a horse-drawn carriage," Clark said.

Lois giggled. "I can just see us doing that," she said. "The photos would haunt us for the rest of our lives."

Clark covered his mouth to hide his smile. "The Ballroom Centre and the hotel are only about three hundred yards apart," he said. "But I think it would be best if we were to fly - and avoid the crowds."

"Straight to the Honeymoon Suite," she said with a grin that was pure Lois Lane ... the grin that was powerful enough to achieve anything - including razing every remaining barrier between them. "Don't worry, big guy," she said. "I won't say anything more about the honeymoon now. Imagine the outcry if Superman was seen blushing like a poppy in public."
Feedback goes here.

Thanks!

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Brisbane's engine room proved superior with Voss's quick hands dominating the stoppages in a display that could only have increased his chances of taking home Charlie on Brownlow night.
Uh... can we get a translation? smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, another great part! They are getting to a meeting of the minds and their futures.
taking home Charlie on Brownlow night
I'm assuming that's a good thing, but I'm as confused as Mayson, but definitely not as snobbish.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
just promise me a happy ending, k?

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
It great that they are taking the time to talk through all of the issues and it was sweet of Clark to say that they (as Superman and Ultrawoman) should go out for coffee!

I'm guessing that there will be more talking in the next part and working out of issues and there is the coffee scene, with tons of people fawning all over them.

smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Good part. I liked the way Clark and Lois talked about her outburst and their future.

I will, however, cut straight to the chase.

Personally I don't think that Lois and Clark's love is necessarily stronger if they "wait until the wedding night". However, you have created a Lois and Clark where abstaining until the wedding night seems very much in character, so rest assured, I'm not gong to try to talk you into speeding the moment of intimacy up. (Not that it would do any good if I tried.) wink So I have been fully prepared to wait for the fireworks in this fic until Lois and Clark are married.

However...

"The night in the tree house," Clark said wretchedly. "I came so close to losing control ... I wanted you so much ... I scared myself."

"Were you scared because we aren't married? Or scared because we're different?"

"Both," he admitted. "I want your first time to be so special, but there is no way I can find out if ... if the practicalities will work for us ... and I have one chance ..."
I'm probably misreading you here, Corrina, but Clark's statement made me feel that he was scared of losing control to the point that he might actually hurt Lois during lovemaking. It has to do with the "difference" bit. Arguably someone with Clark's physique isn't "meant" to make love to someone with Lois's physique.

This concept - that a man like Superman can't make love to a woman like Lois Lane - was in fact the underlying premise of "Superman II". Here Superman shed his powers to be able to make love to Lois Lane, but when he realized that he had to be Superman again, he got his powers back, made Lois forget what had happened, and, we must assume, resolved never to have any sort of intimate encounter with Lois Lane ever again.

[sarcasm] Funnily enough, he was seen having sex with at least one woman in "Superman III" without killing her, so maybe he could actually have sex with all other women except Lois Lane. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, Corrina, this is what Clark's statement seemed to imply to me - that he might not be able to make love to Lois without hurting her. And if Clark's lovemaking may really hurt Lois, then Clark has every reason to be scared. Moreover, then it won't matter whatsoever if they wait for their wedding night, if Clark is "too strong for Lois", as it were. His strength isn't likely to abate just because he says "I do".

I don't think you meant to imply that Clark might hurt Lois. I think you probably just wanted to say that Clark was scared that he might not be able to stay chaste if he kept kissing Lois thoroughly before the wedding. But if that is all he was worried about, then perhaps a less strong wording would be a good idea. Perhaps you should let go of the reference to Clark's "difference", since that probably won't have any bearing on his ability to stay chaste until his wedding night?

Ann

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Iolanthe

A translation - not yet. A part of that statement is probably going to be significant (I haven't written it yet, but unless I think of a different (better) way of achieving what I want to achieve, I'll be using this.) Thanks for asking, though!

Artemis LOL about you being confused. It is actually really hard to deliberately write something that makes complete sense to you, but no sense to anyone else. (I manage to do it accidently at times - ask my BRs!) I'm glad this snippet came across as addled.

Sarah Happy ending coming.

DW Going out together as S and UW was a part of the original plan, but somehow they got set in the habit of only seeing each other in Lois's unit. Thanks.

Ann

From the fic ...

"The night in the tree house," Clark said wretchedly. "I came so close to losing control ... I wanted you so much ... I scared myself."

"Were you scared because we aren't married? Or scared because we're different?"

"Both," he admitted. "I want your first time to be so special, but there is no way I can find out if ... if the practicalities will work for us ... and I have one chance ..."
Ann wrote ...

Anyway, Corrina, this is what Clark's statement seemed to imply to me - that he might not be able to make love to Lois without hurting her.
Actually, Clark's main concern is that it Lois's first time and he wants it to be special and memorable for all the right reasons. But he's a virgin too. And there *are* differences (physical strength being only one of them) which he hopes will not present difficulties, but, as he said, he can't be sure about beforehand.

They are being pretty honest here. If either of them had worries about him hurting her, I think they would have said it explicitly.

I agree with you that if there were an issue of hurting Lois being married would make no difference.

When Clark talks about losing control, he's talking about timing. As he says later in the conversation ...

"I nearly did something we had decided not to do."
They hadn't decided never to make love. They had decided to wait. The control (or lack of it) was about timing, not physical force.

I haven't seen any of the Superman movies nor read any of the comics. If my stories seem to allude to situations in anything other than LnC:TNAOS that is just coincidence.

Personally I don't think that Lois and Clark's love is necessarily stronger if they "wait until the wedding night".
I know that, Ann. You've made essentially the same comment before in my other fics and I've skirted around answering. Perhaps it's time to be more direct - if I were to ever write a fic where they slept together before making a lifelong commitment, (in American culture that means marriage) big problems would follow.

I understand that others don't agree - and they are free to write their fics according to their worldview.

But rather than having this conversation every time I write a fic, you should assume that I'll write that they wait, and I'll assume that you don't think it's necessary.

I appreciate you reading and commenting on my fics, Ann. As I'm sure we're both aware, we think very differently on some issues. What I think/believe is going to come out in my fics, but I don't write to try to change others' views. I write because I enjoy writing and I hope others enjoy reading.

Corrina.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Corrina, I want to make it clear that I didn't mean to criticize Lois and Clark's decision not to make love until their wedding night. It was just the two words "scared" and "different" that set off a chain of associations in me.

Perhaps you might focus more on Clark's ingrained fear of losing control. This paragraph described it very well:

"Lois, I *can't* allow myself to get out of control," Clark said. "Ever since I realised that I'm the strongest man on Earth, I've known that I can't allow my emotions to control me. I can *feel* angry or jealous or irritated or frustrated, but I can't let it get beyond feeling. That night in the tree house ... that kiss ... I lost control. If you hadn't backed away, I would've kept going."
This is a good reason for Clark's nervousness, and it has nothing to do with any fear that he would physically hurt Lois. He is just nervous about experiencing such strong emotions and letting go of his control for the first time ever, and on top of his nervousness about the wedding night he is scared of losing control too soon. Perhaps everybody but me got that straight away. wink

Ann

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for the reply, Ann.

Actually, after I'd posted I remembered that I also wanted to thank you for this ...

However, you have created a Lois and Clark where abstaining until the wedding night seems very much in character
A decision such as this has to be supported by character development. Of course, it's some help that they waited in canon, but, I'm aware that if they are going to make this decision, it can't run contrary to everything else I've set up in the story.

I'm really glad you think this bit worked,

Corrina.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"The victim's jacket contained smoke particles."

"He was in a fire?"

"No - it was tobacco smoke - most likely from cigars."

"So he smoked cigars?"

"Not according to the condition of his lungs, teeth, and airways."
Now, the smoke wouldn't happen to come from a Cuban cigar previously stored in a humidor in the penthouse office of Lex Tower?

Hawthorn had won.

The dream of finals lived on.
clap Nice juxtaposition with the previous part. Especially considering how the last time Lois Hawthorn lost (or was the in 38?) and Lois had her meltdown and this time Hawthorn won and Lois and Clark reconciled clap

Lois walked into the Herald Sun offices - her thoughts oscillating between Hawthorn's game and the skeletal ideas for the match report she was about to write.
She's not talking about the Hawthorn game, is she?

"Flinders," Browny said. "I don't want to lose you - struth, you're the best I've got. But -"

"Excuse me?" Lois gasped at the compliment.
clap

Can't wait!

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
I've been lurking around these boards for so long now that I have no idea how to start posting without feeling incredibly awkward about it. I figure I need to just jump in and do it. So...

I am thoroughly enjoying this fic. I was up until 5:30 AM yesterday because I simply could not stop reading. At that point, I forced myself to take a break and go to bed. blush Now that I'm caught up, though, I'm practically squirming in my seat waiting for the next part.

smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I was doing pretty good with comments months and months ago, but I seem to have started lurking again. I'm emerging now to confirm that someone besides Ann read this as potentially indicating that Clark was worried about physically hurting Lois:
Ever since I realised that I'm the strongest man on Earth, I've known that I can't allow my emotions to control me.
It was sort of ambiguous, and I decided that probably wasn't what he meant (because if it was, he would be refusing to marry her), but I did read it that way at first.

I'm completely enjoying this fic, by the way. My husband thinks I'm crazy when I start talking about footy. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
posted by livewithfreedom:
Now that I'm caught up, though, I'm practically squirming in my seat waiting for the next part.
Oh good, I thought I was the only one doing that. laugh

And welcome to the boards! Post more, we love feedback!

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Michael Thanks for the FDK, Michael. Your instincts regarding where the story is going are pretty good!

livewithfreedom Welcome and thank you so much for de-lurking! I think we all feel a bit awkward at first.

5:30! jawdrop I'm so glad you're enjoying the fic. Next part is posted.

AmyPrime When I finally get around to editing this for the archive, I'll rethink that section and try to make it less ambiguous.

My husband thinks I'm crazy when I start talking about footy.
My husband is used to it!! (And he's not a footy fan.)

Thanks, Amy.

Iolanthe You usually see the parts first, Iolanthe! I'm so glad you're still enjoying this *very* long ride.

Over the past day, I have sent the wedding chapter to the BRs - it is part 47. I'm thinking there might be another six parts. Once I have finished writing, I will try to post EOD. Thanks to everyone for sticking with me.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard