Top Banana
Top Banana
thumbsup

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I agree completely with BJ's assessment of this part. I, too, was utterly relieved to know that the baby was okay. This was lovely:

Now familiar with the sound, he sought out the baby’s heartbeat, fully intending to keep his ear trained on that wonderful rhythm all the time.

Hearing the baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound two days earlier had lifted a tremendous millstone from around her neck. Now, it was like she could barely concentrate on anything other than that wonderful sound.
Beautiful and wonderfully mutual.

Like BJ, I loved how you wrote Lois and Clark together in this part. I particularly liked this:

“Are you always this cheerfully optimistic?” she muttered against his chest. She felt him hug her more tightly.

“No,” he confessed softly. “I’m not. In fact, for most of the last five years, I’ve been a pretty pessimistic guy.” He tilted her chin up so he could look into her eyes. “But you have always had faith in me. I survived hell, a war, a trip through light years of space, all of it because you loved me. That’s how I know we’re going to be okay.”
After he came to New Krypton, Clark used to have a bleak outlook on life. But Lois gave him back his optimism and his faith in life, because she loved him and believed in him. Now he can be there for her.

Lois is full of raging self-doubt. They have not made love for many weeks.

“We haven’t made love in weeks,” he whispered, the longing clear in his voice.

Her eyes still closed, she confessed, “I’ve been afraid.”

“I didn’t know if you were angry, or hurt…because of what I did. I know that you will always be here for me, I just didn’t know if you wanted to…”
Heartbreaking.

“I am not here out of obligation,” he said, his voice a rough whisper. “I love you more than anything in this world. And nothing can change that. Please, don’t ever doubt that.”
I love it. Thank you, Rac.

Lois's parents were as bad as I expected. Ellen was worst. I just hope Sam won't catch up and become worse than Ellen.

Ann

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Yes, Ellen was .... Ellen, but at least Martha and Jonathan helped to defuse the situation.

Sweet part especially after they found out the baby was ok (for now, at least???).

smile

S
SJH Online Content
Features Writer
Online Content
Features Writer
S
I agree with the others. I know the kids are not out of the woods yet, but I'll take what I can get.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I'm always glad to see another part of this story, loved it!

Amber

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“We haven’t made love in weeks,”
I hadn't realized it was that long. But I guess, they found out in week two or three, now it's week seven. Oh boy. But at least they're talking again. And stuff.

The whole unpleasantness from the non-clued-ins was quite... entertaining is probably not the right word. And now that I'm thinking about it with some space, I wonder if the Lane's unpleasantness didn't serve as a nice catalyst for Lois and Clark.

Great part, as usual.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part as usual, Rac. I'm just waiting, though, for someone to tell Ellen off (other than Sam). She is really overboard and Lois should only take it for so long. Maybe she'll have the strength now.
Looking forward to more.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Still reading and enjoying, Rac. And my arm is well enough now for more feedback.

I don't know what my muses would do with anything in your story. I'm not sure they could handle something this long, this complex, this epic, this heart-rending and compelling. I've been with this tale since Zara and Ching first showed up, and I plan to be here at the end.

Which, apparently, isn't on the radar as yet.

How much more heartache can these two handle? One of the attractive features of the Lois and Clark story as we see it is that Lois and Clark are essentially real, normal people, with the added complication of Superman thrown in for confusion. And even though many other couples have experienced heartache and worry over the health of their children, marital problems, and job issues, you've managed to take that stress and extend it to our favorite couple in a totally reasonable way.

Job separating the newlyweds? We have that. Absent father? Check. Young man who doesn't know he's a father? Got it. Husband in mortal danger? You betcha. Young wife and mother at odds with her parents? Yep. No communication between separated lovers? Bingo. Readjustment problems for both lovers? Double-check. Surprise baby? Wow, yes! Serious health concerns for said surprise baby? Why not? Fear of losing the relationship on the part of both parties? Triple-check and exclamation point.

They're facing the same things all of us have either experienced or have feared. And they're doing it as we'd like to do it, with grace and fear and determination and fingernails chewed down to the elbows and quiet desperation and courage when hope cannot be found. This is one of the truly epic tales of human bravery in the face of incredible odds, and I'm so glad to be along for the ride.

Thank you.

Now where's the next chapter?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everybody else said it better. Basically - love the fic, want more soon. That's all. smile

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Sorry for the delay, folks. I was recently in charge of an important visit from Washington, ergo...no time to write or post. First of all, thanks for all of your comments. And thanks for your patience with me.

BJ, glad to hear you were apparently as pleased with this section as Lois was. wink

Thanks for your very thoughtful feedback, Ann. I'm happy to hear you liked what Clark had to say about obligation - even though I agree with Lois that Clark is biologically incapable of breaking a vow, that's not why he's there. He's not dutifully doing what he's supposed to, ignoring his own feelings in order to be the man he's expected to be. He does and he always will love this woman with every fiber of his being, and I'm glad he made that clear.

Thanks, DW. I know Sam and Ellen were awful. But that's pretty much what I expect of them, and unsurprisingly, that's the way they behave when I think of them. wink

Thanks, SJH.

Glad you enjoyed this part, Amber.

Thanks, Michael. I know the Lanes can be unpleasant, but if Lois didn't cut them out of her life after twenty some odd years of this kind of behavior, it isn't really my place to do so. And I agree, the Lanes' fighting might have only served to galvanize LnC.

Thanks, Artemis. More is on the way.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Terry. Thank you for reading and commenting. I really like the way you described what these two have faced - yes, their problems are more...epic than ours, but the kernel of those problems is the same - concerns about work, family, a difficult pregnancy, disagreements with parents, etc. They just have super-sized versions of these issues. And they rise to the occasion in a way most of us wish we could...

More is on its way, Iolan. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard