Next Thread
Print Thread
#72395 06/24/10 03:19 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I had tried for a while to come up with a plausible way to have an L&C/Star Trek crossover, but no idea came to me. So I decided to turn it on its head and to write a very *implausible* crossover. Base on the snippets of Lois' novel which we have seen and heard on the show, her fiction writing is atrocious. I had fun coming up with as abysmal a story as I could for Lois' first fanfic. I don't know whether to be proud or embarrassed by how well I succeeded. I just hope that my own fanfic isn't anywhere near that bad.

Let me make it perfectly clear that the MB members in my story are completely fictitious. I am grateful that, unlike them, the good FoLC here are always very supportive in their feedback. What little negative feedback I have received myself or have read directed at others has always been given gently and with an attitude of providing constructive criticism. And, as always, I welcome any feedback - positive or negative - which you may wish to provide.

Joy,
Lynn

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I'd say that your story worked for a crossover fic between L&C and Star Trek, so I think you have succeeded smile

I'm not personally a Star Trek fan, but I liked your story, especially the part with Lois writing fanfiction and Perry being one of the persons giving feedback thinking WandaD is a beginner writer - She is an experienced journalist, but that doesn't necessarily make a person good at writing fiction.

Cute smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Lynn, I love this fic!

Brett Baxter had seemed like the perfect romantic hero for her novel, with his well-defined body, rugged good looks, and smoldering eyes;
Brett Baxter? Rhett Butler?

[Linked Image]

Rick telling Ilsa that they would always have Paris;
Rick and Ilsa? Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca?

[Linked Image]

You know she was Swedish, right? laugh

Spock giving the Vulcan salute;
[Linked Image]

Spock, sigh... in the seventies I loved him! razz

Perry closed the door to his office and then logged into one of his favourite message boards. He put on some music to post by …William Shatner’s Tambourine Man.
Noooo!! Perry is a William Shatner fan!

Mr. Tambourine Man

And it was Perry who "praised" Lois by saying that she had a good command of the English language and was able to communicate her ideas clearly and concisely, even if she was obviously a beginner at writing!!! rotflol

Lynn, this was a riot!

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wait, uh.. this Brett Baxter is for real? And he may be one of these guys?

[Linked Image]

I wonder which one is Baxter. Lois, do you have a thing for sextogenarians?

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile1 Great fun! I am a Star Trek fan from when the very first episode originally aired the first time back in the 60's-- my sister and I both! She loved Spock and I loved James T. Kirk; but truly loved all of it. I still have all the episodes from then, too.

Anyway, your fic was such great fun! Aaah, the memories, and the interweaving of them from several favorite shows and movies/wonderful memories, lots of fun. rotflol

Thank you!

EvelynC
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ann,
In my last message, I forgot to thank you for the great pics you inserted in your messages! dance

EvelynC
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
DW wrote:
She is an experienced journalist, but that doesn't necessarily make a person good at writing fiction.
...As I have learned myself, the hard way. I have written my share of scholarly articles, book chapters, etc. I am confident in my abilities to communicate facts clearly and concisely. But fiction writing is a whole other ball game. The primary difference between me and my Lois is that I recognize myself to be a beginning writer when it comes to fiction. Less so now than I was when I started posting in February, but still with a *lot* to learn.

Ann, we can always count on you to post the best pictures! smile I must admit that, while I enjoyed Star Trek for a number of reasons, Spock was the major draw for me, as well.

I'd like to say that I had been trying to play off of Rhett Butler's name when I came up with Brett Baxter; but if that is the case, it was done subconsciously. I hadn't known about the actor by that name; it is funny that he actually played in ST. It's even funnier that his full name is Brett Baxter Clark!

And RedShirt must have a suicide wish, given the average life span of a security officer on the Enterprise...

Evelyn, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I had a lot of fun writing it.

My thanks to the three of you for your feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lynn, I laughed and laughed at this. The previous posters else already pointed out everything I wanted to say, so I'll just add - it was great fun!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lois the failed fanfic author. Yeah, that's funny.

Two words for you: Mary Sue.
rotflol And that's even before she wrote on the darkside of the LnCFanfic boards laugh Now *that* should be fun shock

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Iolanthe, I'm glad you enjoyed this fic. I think I had more fun writing it than I have had with anything else I have written thus far.

Michael, Sorry, I don't read nfic, much less write it. But if you want to try your hand at having Lois write some abysmal nfic, be my guest!

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, but intentional bad-nfic, that's above my paygrade. WOnder though, how to do a gfic version that talks about the bad-nfic by Lois. You can do a lot with PG-13 laugh

/shushes Muse back into her cage/

Michael

PS: No, I'm not mistreating her. Her cage is gilded. With lot's of amenities. I promise!

/shushes away muse-rights activists/

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Darth Michael:

/shushes Muse back into her cage/

Michael

PS: No, I'm not mistreating her. Her cage is gilded. With lot's of amnesties. I promise!

/shushes away muse-rights activists/
Thank you for that laugh, Michael! laugh

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Okay, I know this was written ages ago, but I do very little reading recently, so I'm very behind. And when I do read, I tend to focus on one-shots, since I don't have enough time for a long series.

So, I just found this and it was wonderful. I don't have much to add to what others have said except that I wanted to tell you I got a chuckle at this wordplay:

She had had a crush on the actor who played him, right from the first time when, as a teenager, she saw him on the TV series Family Ties. She still thought him pretty foxy.
From anyone else, I might think that was a coincidence, but I've read enough of your writing to know you enjoy that sort of thing, so I'm sure it was intentional, so just wanted you to know it was noticed and enjoyed.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Anonpip,

Thank you so much for leaving feedback. I always enjoy hearing what readers think, but getting a reply from a piece I wrote a while back is such a pleasant surprise. Thank you for the day brightener. smile

And guilty as charged about the pun on Michael J. Fox' name. It absolutely was deliberate. What can I say? I'm an incorrigible punster -- but feel free to encourage me, anyway. wink

Thanks again,
Lynn

p.s., Given that you have very little time for reading fanfic these days, I am doubly honoured that you took the time to read one of my works. Thank you!

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Lynn wave

I was just about to enjoy 'Kill Bill's Fan', but saw the note about how this story was the precursor to it.

So yes, I thought I'd give myself the pleasure of reading this story before I dove into your fundraiser piece.

And I am so glad that I did notworthy clap notworthy clap notworthy !

I am not a Star Trek fan, but I was very curious how you would connect the series to L&C. The idea of having Lois write a fanfic crossover was brilliant grin. And following the detail in our series, when we learned of Lois' 'ability' of writing in her novel, I love how you rightfully put her talent in check for her fanfiction piece.

The 'foxy' pun on MJF's name was perfect hyper, btw. Loved how you included that!

But for me, the icing on the cake with was definitely the ending. Clark's conversation with Perry and mentioning that he liked the Bills? You definitely had me initially hail. I figured it was him as a shoe-in. And then how you turned the ending to Perry? rotflol. How you had him giving Lois feedback for her writing--and calling her writing 'beginning' (when she is indeed his BEST investigative reporter at this time in the show) is priceless lol.

Awesome! Completely wonderful!

Can-not-wait to dive into your next story dance,
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/15/17 02:13 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard