Next Thread
Print Thread
N
noorie Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
N
Jonathan stood up, picking up his mug as he did. “Then quit sitting at this table, go hold your wife’s hand, and be the husband you promised you would be in your wedding vows.”
Hooray for parents, and for the Kents in particular! Can't wait for the next part as always...

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Noelle beat me to it. That was the best thing Jonathan has said ever.

Not that I don't feel sorry for Clark. I certainly do. But Jonathan said more than the line that Noelle quoted, he also said this:

“What I was going to say,” Jonathan continued. “Is that she’s strong, but she’s going to need you. As bad as you think this is for you, it’s worse for her. Your mother and I tried to have children. She miscarried three times. It tore her apart. And even though she knew it wasn’t rational, she blamed herself. She beat herself up over the fact that her body couldn’t do what it was supposed to do. If god forbid something goes wrong with the pregnancy, you know Lois is going to blame herself. How is she supposed to get through that if she thinks you blame her, too?”
The way Jonathan talked to Clark made for a fantastic father-son talk. Thank you for writing it.

I can't help thinking of what things were like when Clark came back from New Krypton and was such a wreck. Lois had to work so hard at supporting him. Maybe Clark can return the favor now by supporting Lois?

This was heartbreaking:

“Clark?” she managed to croak despite the gummy sensation of a dry tongue and a parched throat.

“It’s Bernie, Lois. I’m here,” she heard Dr. Klein say.

“Does Clark know?” she whispered.

“I told him a little while ago,” Bernie admitted.

“That’s why he isn’t here, isn’t it?” she asked softly.
mecry

What you told us about mitochondria and Kryptochondria was so interesting. I'll admit that I felt a little annoyed that Lois seemed to be hurt by the kryptonite. How could she be hurt by it when she is not from Krypton?

But now it turns out that she wasn't exactly hurt by it, she was just robbed of her Kryptonian powers and therefore she became vulnerable:

“Kryptonite is harmless to ordinary humans. It only affects what makes Kryptonians different from Earth humans.”
Lois is human except for her Kryptonian powers, so the kryptonite attacked her Kryptonian powers. That makes sense.

“Jon inherited mitochondria from you and Kryptochondria from Clark. Just like Clark, you and Jon, if exposed to Kryptonite long enough, could have all of your Kryptochondria destroyed. That would kill Clark. But it would only permanently remove your powers or Jon’s.”
That's good to know!

“So I have the dark beans…the Kryptochondria, too? How?”

Bernie shrugged. “That’s what I can’t figure out. Apparently, when they’re excited by a massive electrical current, the Kryptochondria in Clark’s body can ‘jump’ to another person he’s touching. Not enough of them move to cause him any harm, but once in the new person, they multiply and enter every cell, resulting in a complete copy of Clark’s powers. I’m even less sure how they manage to all jump back with a reverse course of electricity.”
Admit it, Rac, there is no way for science to explain this. It's like coming up with a rational explanation for how Clark can fly. Try as you might, you'll be stumped. Or, to put it differently, this is the kind of thing that can only happen in a Superman universe! wink

“So if your theory is right, does it tell us anything about my pregnancy?”

He scratched at his chin. “It might,” he said, infuriatingly. “I have to caveat this by saying that for obvious reasons, we’ve never exposed a pregnant woman to Kryptonite before. We don’t know what sort of effect, if any, it might have on the development of a normal pregnancy. In terms of what kind of effect it might have on Clark’s child, we know that the amount of damage done to your body by the Kryptonite was limited. You retained some level of Clark’s powers, even if it just meant accelerated healing. That means your body was probably still protecting the pregnancy. It’s also possible that the fetus’s Kryptochondria might have been destroyed, leaving the pregnancy perfectly normal.”
You know what I'm thinking about this, Rac? I guess you saw the latest Superman movie, Superman Returns. Well, in that movie, Lois has a sickly son, who suddenly proves himself to be superpowered, because he is Superman's son.

In that movie, Superman's son doesn't display superpowers for quite a while. Wouldn't it be possible for Lois and Clark's child to be born with just one or two Kryptochondria, so that it takes forever for them to multiply in such a way that they make a difference. But eventually, they will.

Finally, let me say that I loved this:

“Daddy, did you get hurt, too?”

“It’s just a little owie,” Clark assured his son.
What a sweet expression! I had never heard it before.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, the first reaction was of course help grovel

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part! I thought there would be a good explanation for all that Lois went through. That's what a married couple does - support the one who needs it the most. Right now, that's Lois.
Ann - owie is a common expression in America for talking to a child about injuries. Kids get a lot of them. It means you have the right to yell "ow" when you get hurt, then the pain goes away and you are alright. Clark was assuring Jon he would be O.K.
Looking forward to more, Rac.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I agree - great part!

Loved your explanation for the powers and stuff - I found it rather interesting smile

Looking forward to part 39!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another great chapter. Huge amounts of angst both for characters and for readers. This will be a nine-month cliffhanger, or longer - how long did it take Clark and Lois to realize that Jon had powers?

I loved the no-nonsense Jonathan talk. Well done.

R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Noelle, I'm especially glad to hear you liked Jonathan's remarks. I think Clark needed them.

Ann, you're right that Jonathan imparted a lot of wisdom in that discussion. And no, I can't explain the power transfer or why Clark can fly. I did the best I could with what I had to work with. As you recall, Jonathan hasn't developed any powers yet. I assume he'll develop like Clark and that for whatever reason, the Kryptochondria don't really start working until a child is maturing. Again, I have no basis for this except I need something that works with the canon.

Hmmm...would exposure in utero also lead to the development of Kryptochondria? Who knows? I mean, I am just making this up as I go. wink In all seriousness, I will try to answer these questions as we go.

Thanks for your comments, Artemis. I'm glad the explanation of what happened to Lois made sense to you.

Glad you enjoyed this section, DW.

Thanks for your comments, Iolan. Jon still doesn't have powers, but Bernie's theory suggests he one day will. As for the baby....

More is coming up.

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard