Next Thread
Print Thread
#71849 05/27/10 08:29 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
*Happy sigh*. Part three was well worth the wait. Thanks, Sue! :-)

Joy,
Lynn

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
awesome!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awww, waffy ending. blush Was a bit surprised though that the alarm wasn't, in fact, the Newtrich sisters invading STAR labs.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Yeah, you finally posted clap

Great part and it was well worth the (long) wait smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow that was very very sexy. You write very well. You really capture the heat and the feeling of the moment. I loved it!. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That was quite lovely, a credit to your skills as a writer. smile

I very much enjoyed this story and look forward to more stories from you in the future.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes! You finished it!

I love how both Lois and Clark were feeling so guilty in this chapter. She was feeling so guilty because she had not appreciated Clark for the person he had truly been, but instead she had just mooned over his superhero persona and given him a hard time as Clark. He, on the other hand, was feeling so guilty because he had kept deceiving and deceiving Lois, while she had shared her superpower secret with Clark the same day she got "powered up". I love how both of them seemed to feel that they had screwed up so badly that the other one might never forgive them, and the only thing that both of them wanted to do was apologize!

And then they were looking for the right words to say 'I love you', and that particular phrase wasn't there for them, but they sure managed to convey its meaning to the other one anyway. I love the flying symbol. In the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder, there was an absolutely beautiful long flying scene, which was actually a lot more like an aerial "love ballet" or a mating pas-de-deux in the air. It was lovely. However, it was also somewhat empty on Superman's part, because he wasn't ready to share himself fully with Lois. He danced with her without sharing his secret with her.

But your Clark didn't fly with Lois like that until he had told her the truth about himself:

"Take me flying, Clark."

His fingers tighten ever so slightly on my hips and he dips his head to whisper near my ear, "I've waited so long to hear you ask me that."
Yes, take me flying, Clark! Sure he had been waiting to hear her say that!

And he did, too. It was so beautiful.

Thank you very much for this lovely fic, Sue!

Ann

P.S.
I remember what he said, as Superman, about never having known someone well enough to tease them. I can't help but let out a little giggle as I realize that he's using an inside joke to acknowledge the secret we now share.
Clark adores me. He would never hurt me. He might tease me on the ground, but I doubt he'd ever be so cavalier in mid-air.
Did you write that for me, Sue? Anyway, point taken! wink

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I really love this:
Clark wasn't leery of commitment or restless. He was selflessly giving up little pieces of his life to help others. No matter how inconvenient the interruption, Clark is simply too nice to ignore those cries for help. Superman helps people because he's Clark, not the other way around.
What a fantastic way to put it!

And I'm with everyone else--this really was a wonderful and WAFFy story. Nicely written, nicely done, and very enjoyable to read!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aw! Aww! AAAWWW!

That was just great!

I try to summon up some anger that Clark never told me, but after a day in his boots I know exactly why he wouldn't want to share his secret.
A nice variation on the usual "Lois is angry at the revelation".

I told Clark last night that I wanted to take him flying because it was the coolest thing that had ever happened to me and I wanted someone to share it with. It’s only now that I can recognize that he taught me how to fly for the very same reason. For the first time ever there was someone he could share the experience with; someone who could relate to his unique perspective and the delicate balancing act that is his life.
This is a wonderful paragraph.

There are so many things he could do with those powers and yet he only uses them to help.
The essence of Superman.

My breath catches in my throat as I realize just how completely Clark understood my situation - and just how much I've never understood his.
This is a different, and much more profound, revelation.

I want desperately to get to the man underneath; the one who wears jeans and a t-shirt after work and couldn't pick out a coordinating tie if his life depended on it.
I'm really glad you put in the ties. smile

"Take me flying, Clark."

His fingers tighten ever so slightly on my hips and he dips his head to whisper near my ear, "I've waited so long to hear you ask me that."
And AWWW! again here! That is... I wish I could describe it as well as you wrote it. Sweet. The essence of their relationship. Poignant. Carrying a meaning deeper than the simple exchange of words.

/checks box for next year's Kerth award winner/

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A really wonderful ending Sue. Happy sigh!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue!! I just happened to wonder into the gfic folder after a LONG time and saw you had posted a story. SQUEE!! hyper

Let me just say, I am on a WAFFY high right now. Haven't felt like this in awhile! Thank you for posting it!!

I LOVED that it was in 1st person. It's not too often that you see a story like that and it's always a plus (for me) if it's Lois' 1st person. I love to see that silly, teasing side of her. So many times, while reading it, you had me laughing out loud at her inner monologue. Just SO cute. I loved it!

I think about the wackos who have tried to do exactly that and I feel another rush of gratitude for the trust he's showing me in sharing his secret.

"I would never let anyone do that to you," I promise him.

"We'll protect each other," he says with a smile.
Awww, this is so sweet.

There's a long breathless moment while I wait for him to kiss me. He doesn't and I wonder if he's being deliberately obtuse or if there's another reason why he's not taking the hint. I decide to make it a lot more obvious. "Maybe we should finish what we started?"

His eyes darken and his voice sounds huskier as he asks, "What are we starting, Lois?"

It's comforting somehow to know that he's just as unsure as I am about what lies ahead. I touch his cheek, running my thumb lightly over his lower lip. I see him swallow reflexively and it only increases my confidence.

"Us," I tell him. "No Superman, no more deceptions. Just us."

"Us," he repeats with a smile. He keeps one arm securely around me and lifts his other hand to the back of my head as he bends to kiss me.

The first touch of his lips is soft, almost hesitant. His second kiss has no hesitation at all to it and I respond eagerly. If it were possible to float on happiness alone, I would be the one keeping us there, suspended between the stars and the city.

Just us.
Girlish sigh. I think I might be smiling the rest of the day now. Thank you Sue!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Posted by katie123:

That was fantastic! Please write more. Beautifully in character for them both.
Admin's note - posted in the TOC for this story, rather than the feedback folder, so I had to delete it there.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I'm horrible about leaving feedback, but I just couldn't let this one go. Thank you so much for writing this. I loved it. Your fresh take on the Ultrawoman episode was original, heart-breakingly romantic, and, honestly, just plain good smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue, this was a really sweet story.

I loved the Lois perspective as she came to realize how important Clark was to her as well as her growing appreciation of what it meant to be Superman.

I have to admit that I especially enjoyed that Lois was understanding, not angry at discovering the truth.

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, what they said. This was a sweet, insightful story and a lot of fun to read. I've been looking forward to this part for a while and it didn't disappoint.

thumbsup thumbsup

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
Kerth
Hello! wave It was a very long weekend, not being able to check the boards. I was delighted to see that so many of you took the time to leave me some FDK. Thanks!

Lynn - I'm glad it was worth the wait. laugh

sarahg - Thanks!

Michael - You had me scratching my head - an alarm? There was an alarm? I'm going to change this There's a loud screeching noise... so that the screeching noise is "the screech of tires" or something to avoid confusion after it goes to the archive. Thanks for the heads up!

DW - I'm glad you found it worth the wait, too. I apologize that it took so long.

Laura - Awww, thanks!

Elizabeth - I'm glad you liked the story and I hope future stories will entertain you as well.

Ann - I, too, liked the idea that Clark would only share that part of himself with Lois once she knew the truth. I didn't write the bit about the teasing for you. :p It was in there to show the differences between them. Lois is brash and Clark, while he does tease her frequently, he only does it when Lois can be in on the joke with him.

Deja Vu - Aw, you picked out one of my favorite lines to highlight! Thank you!

Iolan - I always do a little happy dance when I see that you've left comments. You always pick out my favorite bits and you're very perceptive. It makes all the time spent writing seem well worth the effort and I thank you profusely. sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My thanks again to everyone who has commented. You guys got me fired up to finish another story that's been lurking on my hard drive for years now.
Yay! Yay! Yay! hyper

/does happy dance at thought of new Sue S. fic/

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was wonderful.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Sue, I'm really sorry that I missed this story while you were posting it! I like what you've done with the circumstances and how you tell it from Lois's point of view. The fact that she told Clark what had happened to her right away underlines the relationship she feels she has with him, and, of course, he feels guilty that he hasn't trusted her with the other side of his personality. And the funny thing is that she feels guilty about the fact that she has never seen things from his point of view -- although how she could, never having been in his highly unique position, or knowing anything about Superman's real life, is a good question.

I wish you would write more stories. Real life issues have kept me from writing as much as I normally do, and I need the inspiration, anyway.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard