Print Thread
#71446 05/01/10 05:19 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
peep

This thing just wouldn't leave me alone. I blame my muses for such a distressing triple crossover.

Hope somebody likes it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#71447 05/01/10 10:14 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Are you taking cold medicine? wink What a trip!
His pajamas were soaked with sweat and his mouth tasted like someone else had thrown up in it.
thumbsup

#71448 05/01/10 12:33 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Airplane!, LnC, and I guess the third is Doctor Who? What kind of pizza have you been eating after midnight?

#71449 05/01/10 03:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was freakin' hilarious! It had all the best bits in it.

I still like:

"We've got to get these patients to a hospital."

"A hospital? What is it?"

"It's a big building with patients in it. But that's not important right now."

I'm just sorry that you had to leave out Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (oh, excuse me. His name was Roger Murdock.)

#71450 05/01/10 08:01 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Fantastic! Although I'm sorry to say I didn't recognize it as a crossover. I do, vaguely, remember Airplane!, which I saw back when I watched popular movies on a regular basis. (What I remember by far the best from Airplane! is the automatic pilot Otto who got inflated out of his seat when the regular pilot had fainted, and ever since I saw that movie I get a mental image of Otto every time the expression "automatic pilot" is mentioned...)

[Linked Image]

Anyway, this fic was absolutely hilarious! It was perfect to turn it into a jumbled dream that Jimmy might have had after eating the wrong kind of pizza before going to bed. Jimmy, let this be a lesson to you: Don't eat anything within two hours of going to bed!

Speaking of references to Airplane!:

When the doors opened, he stepped out and looked at the new and improved news room. All the desks were set in rows of six across with a narrow aisle between the third and fourth desks.
rotflol

I totally loved that Jimmy's subconscious knew very well that Clark is Superman, even though his "conscious mind" can't fully accept what he knows even in a dream:

The cabbie looked a lot like Clark Kent.
The driver’s uniform looked odd, too, with a short red cape and red boots over his denim overalls.
rotflol

He looked at Clark again. He was fidgeting in his seat, adjusting his tie and red cape – wonder why I didn’t notice that before, thought Jimmy, looks like the one my cabbie was wearing – and squeezing the armrests on his desk chair and leaving finger marks in them.
rotflol rotflol rotflol

And Clark is mentally paralyzed and can't do anything at all because of a typo he made several years ago and can't get out of his mind!

This paragraph is about as good as Otto the automatic pilot:

A devastatingly rich and handsome man raised his head and smiled that killer smile at her. “Why, yes, young lady, I am a doctor. How can I help you?”

Lucy dodged the man’s lethal smile, apparently not caring as it ricocheted off the wall and took out two teenaged stringers.
And the wonderful absurdity of this conversation is fantastic:

He tossed the phone onto the cradle. “Lucy, honey, I hope y’all found a doctor.”

“I did, Captain.”

“He any good?”

Lucy smiled at the doctor and reached up to play with his hair. “Well, I should be able to answer that question in about twenty minutes.”

“No! Is he any good as a doctor?”

“Oh! Right. Well, his stethoscope is made of solid gold.”

“Good enough. Doc, you come over here and park it. We need to talk.”
By the way, I love how Jimmy's subconscious acknowledges that he himself is not a real person in the real world, but rather a character in a TV show:

“Hello? Who is this? Bill who? Bill Henderson? I thought you got transferred to a serious drama. Really? I didn’t know they did role-sharing like that. Who, me? I don’t know. I’d have to be pretty desperate to do that.
rotflol

Jimmy looked up at the banks of computers around the wall, at the multiple clocks showing the current time in Metropolis, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo, and the Andromeda galaxy, at the multiple racks of telephones, at the Pony Express riders waiting eagerly for dispatches, and said, “No, sorry. No idea what to do.”
The current time in the Andromeda galaxy and Pony Express riders in the same paragraph! rotflol

“Nineteen plurghs to go,” he called out.

Lois – who was by now wearing a conservative dark blue business suit with low heels, much to Jimmy’s disappointment – turned and snapped, “That’s Andromeda time! Give it to us in minutes!”
Yes, I guess it's Clark who writes the Daily Planet edition in the Andromedan language! (I love the fact that everyone in the Andromeda galaxy speaks the same language, but I guess it's the same thing in the Milky Way - I mean, all the aliens that Captain Kirk comes across on every Class M planet in the Star Trek universe speak English, don't they?)

Then he looked into the mirror and shook his head at himself.

“Okay, you were right. No more anchovy, sardine, and pineapple pizza after midnight.”
The fish, the fish! Although pineapple is nice!

Then he glanced at the clock. No! He must have forgotten to set the alarm the night before. He’d overslept! He only had twenty-three plurghs to get to work. He had to hurry.
Twenty-three plurghs. That's brilliant! I wonder if he will be talking about plurghs at work, too?

Terry, this was just hilariously funny.

Ann

#71451 05/04/10 04:26 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
WEIRD...lol

#71452 05/06/10 06:15 PM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hi, gang! Thanks for the neat feedback on this whatchamacallit.

Malu, no medication this time. I was stone cold sober. (Maybe a little sleepy, but no drugs, I promise!)

C-mom, no pizza either. But you got three of the four sources on the first try. (The last one was the winter Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue; that's where the inspiration for the ladies' outfits came from. And no, I don't subscribe, but it's hard to get away from some elements of popular culture.)

Ann, thanks for the detailed feedback. I remember Otto too, and there were times when I laughed at the movie on TV reruns and no one else in the room did. I guess I just have a manic sense of humor.

Seme, it was really weird. I think the weirdest part for me was choosing which parts to skip. There are some great scenes left on the cutting room floor.

For those who still remember the "Road" saga, I'm working on the third installment. The muses are sulking right now and I'm trying to figure out how to get them to talk to me. Oh, well, they'll come around eventually.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#71453 05/16/10 02:52 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@Terry: that was one wild ride! laugh Thanks for sharing!

Just got married (21st June 2010).
#71454 05/21/10 07:20 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderfully hilarious, Terry!

And my geek is showing here, but I just can't resist answering Ann's question:

I love the fact that everyone in the Andromeda galaxy speaks the same language, but I guess it's the same thing in the Milky Way - I mean, all the aliens that Captain Kirk comes across on every Class M planet in the Star Trek universe speak English, don't they?
Actually, I don't believe they do. I'm pretty sure Star Trek (or one of its sequel serieses--or even just some of the fanon or official novels) originated the concept of a "universal translator," though I could very well be wrong.

And even if it didn't, they wouldn't be speaking English anyway--it would be Federation Standard. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard