Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Part seven was so short that I decided to post it the same day as part six.

Now you've seen the whole story. Thanks for staying with me on this adventure. I hope you found it enjoyable. Please let me know what you think!

cheers,
Lynn

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I loved it and thoroughly enjoyed reading it! clap

Maybe, in future, you can think of another story that needs to involve Holmes and Watson again.

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
What a delightful and unusual story. You really captured Holmes and Watson so well.

I loved it.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Clark didn't tell her? Are you kidding? She would have lapped it up! Of course, she would have railed against Tempus, too, but such a tale needs to be shared.

Unless, of course, Wells dropped Clark back into the timeline at the point where Lois first disappeared, which (according to the nutso logic of the show) would have erased his own memories of his time travel.

This was a charming story, and I too hope to see Holmes and Watson again. Perhaps the next time they could work with Lois. Wouldn't that be a gas?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
DW, Thank you for your kind words. If I can come up with another plausible storyline for such a crossover, I would write it up in a heartbeat. This story was lots of fun to write.

Kathy: I'm glad you think I succeeded in capturing Doyle's characters. I enjoy taking on Watson's voice.

Terry: I had been trying to convey that Clark had been returned just prior to the point of his disappearance and that he had already forgotten almost all of the events. I guess I wasn't quite as successful with getting that point across as I had hoped.

My thanks to all three of you for your loyal reading, and I definitely hope that I will be inspired to come up with a similar crossover in the future.

cheers,
Lynn

rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I usually hate "crossover" fics, but I loved this! Great writing.

thanks!

rkn
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I wondered what they planned on doing with Jack when they found him. On the one hand, they couldn't change history. On the other, it would be wrong to let him go. Nice save.

Elisabeth

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
rkn: I am doubly honoured, then, that you liked my story. :-)

Elisabeth: I wish I could take credit for that plot twist; but what appears in the story is a variant of a suggestion by my fantastic BR Iolanthe.

cheers,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I thought you did a great job with Holmes and Watson! And I had no trouble understanding that Clark lost his memories of this adventure.

Thanks again for the posting schedule on this one. I am going to have to cut back my time spent reading fanfic for a while (starting a temporary second job) so I might not be posting much fdk, but I will try to read whatever you post here.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
clap clap clap clap clap

BRAVO!!!!

I don't suppose a sequel would be not-out-of-the-question? peep

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Lynn,

I just read the whole story in one sitting and I enjoyed it very much. It was a very good idea and I think you pulled the crossover off nicely.

Thanks for sharing.
Bob

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
A fun read. Thank you.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
cookiesmom: I am honored that, with your limited free time, you would check on what I post here. smile Good luck on your second job.

QotC: If I can come up with another such crossover, I would definitely write it. It would either have to be set in a different universe or else occur after Watson wrote this story, since he did state definitively here that neither he nor Holmes ever saw either of the time travelers again. (I guess another possibility would be that they could see Lois without seeing either Wells or Clark, but I prefer not to write too much with Lois. I don't think I have as firm a grasp on her character as I do on the others, at least in part because her character has changed so much over the course of the show.)

Bob, Thank you. I am relieved to hear that the story works well when read all at once. The reason I had divided the story into such small parts was that I was afraid that the huge changes in writing style necessitated by the changes in POV would prove to be off-putting. I therefore made sure that Watson's writings were in standalone parts.

SJH: Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

cheers,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!

I, too, read this in one sitting, so I’ll just group the specific comments in here smile

The Star Trek X-over: Dandello did “Only a Fairy Tale” and “Not Just a Fairy Tale”. Good fun!

Part 2: Holmes immediately deduced Clark’s surname. How did he do that? Mr. Wells was explained, not so Clark. And LOL to the Doyle-reference laugh

Part 3: Makes more sense when read directly in context of part 3, but…
Clark then recalled the other times he had travelled with Mr Wells. The previous incarnations of Lois had all looked just like her. Was it possible that Charlotte was another such incarnation?
At first I went eek How could Lois’s previous incarnation end up on a street corner. ML’s future Lois (Echoes of the Past), okay. But the past one? Then I remembered, this time’s Lois was named Lulu and lived in Texas. /wew/ But Clark should remember this, too.

Part 4-5: I liked the explanation for the name mix-up etc. Well thought out thumbsup

Part 6: Umm, about the wrapped lamp-posts. I’m not 100% sure, mostly because I haven’t tried it, yet, but back in the 19th century, the lampposts would be made of cast iron instead of the steel (?) tubes of today. And that’s quite brittle, so it would probably break if Clark tried to bend even a little. Of course, you could explain it with the aura evil

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback.

Originally posted by Darth Michael:
The Star Trek X-over: Dandello did “Only a Fairy Tale” and “Not Just a Fairy Tale”. Good fun!
I'll be sure to add those stories onto my "to be read" list. It seems that new stories are getting added to the list faster than I can read the ones already on the list. It is so nice to have so much fun reading to look forward to.

Part 2: Holmes immediately deduced Clark’s surname. How did he do that? Mr. Wells was explained, not so Clark.
There was actually a lot that hadn't been explained in that part of the story. The official reason is because additional explanations would have slowed the pacing of the story down too much. The unofficial reason (which I will deny if asked wink ) is that I don't know how Holmes knew.

And LOL to the Doyle-reference laugh
Thanks. That was my favourite bit of humour in this story. I would be tempted to say that it is impossible for me to write even a "serious" story without some humour injected; but the next story I'll be posting is completely humour-free.

Part 6: Umm, about the wrapped lamp-posts. I’m not 100% sure, mostly because I haven’t tried it, yet, but back in the 19th century, the lampposts would be made of cast iron instead of the steel (?) tubes of today. And that’s quite brittle, so it would probably break if Clark tried to bend even a little. Of course, you could explain it with the aura evil
If you want to write such a story, I would love to ready it! smile

cheers,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The unofficial reason (which I will deny if asked [Wink] ) is that I don't know how Holmes knew.
/wags finger/ wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I just read this story on the archive. It is such a clever idea and executed quite well. Lots of fun, too! Thanks so much for sharing it.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Michael, I apologize for not responding to your post. I must have missed it when you first posted. But better late than never, I hope.

quote:
but the next story I'll be posting is completely humour-free.
Umm... April's Fool?
Nope. The story I was referring to was If Looks Could Kill -- the darkest, WHAMmiest story I hope I'll ever write.

quote:
but I would guess that the lamp post would become more pliable if heated.
Not sure myself either, but anyway, he would had to heat it to several hundred degrees and keep it hot while wrapping I around Jack. Not fun. Other option: Don't know if it was common in London (now or back than) but it's possible that there was a chain fencing off a lawn, etc. Less spectacular, but easier in terms of do-ability
Good points. Or perhaps he used his breath to cool the lamppost *just* before it would have burned Jack?

MrsMosley, thank you for leaving feedback. It is always a delightful surprise to receive kudos for an older story. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wave

Huh, yeah, would still be tricky though blush

Michael

PS: For topics you create yourself, you have an 'Email notification' option next to the submit button. Very nice feature to get FDK news into your inbox. Of course, it also makes the entire post-FDK-post-FDK circle that much more addictive.

PPS: Yes, I do subscribe to my FDK threads. blush

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Huh. For all the thread I have created, I have never noticed those check boxes. blush

Thanks for pointing them out to me. I'll remember them in the future.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard