Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
My apologies to any readers named 'Charlotte' or 'Louise'. In real life, I have nothing against either name, but the story necessitated my choosing those particular names and then saying something bad about each one. I hope that I have not caused any offense thereby.

And to answer some feedback questions from part 3: You were very close, Framework4! And cookiesmom, although Holmes would likely know Dodgson from his mathematical works, it should be obvious now why one of his works he wrote under his pseudonym also needed to have been published by the time of this story. I must admit that I hadn't thought to see whether there were any RL Charlotte Dodgsons alive at the time. I'll therefore add the following disclaimer: Any resemblance of any characters to RL people are purely coincidental. Well, semi-coincidental, I guess, since my Charlotte's names were based on the real Charles. But other than that...

As always, feedback welcome.

cheers,
Lynn

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Ah, finally they figured out who Charlotte/Louise is!

Can't wait for more! smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I had to google Charlotte to get the info for my previous fdk, since I knew the last name Dodgson was familiar but couldn't remember why. And it was fun, because I'm not a big "Alice" fan, but I've decided to try to read one or two of Lewis Carroll's other books. And most of his books were published before 1888.

I guessed that you had used the similar name deliberately but couldn't figure out where you were going with it. Now I know. And I'm looking forward to the next part!

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
[QB] it should be obvious now why one of his works he wrote under his pseudonym also needed to have been published by the time of this story./QB]
Surely Charlotte Dodgson would recognize the similarity of her name to that of Charles Dodgson, the real name of the man who wrote ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’.
I was under the impression that the real name of the author was not widespread public knowledge until after his death in 1898?

BTW have you heard that some claim Lewis Caroll was Jack the Ripper?

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love this fic! laugh

Also, I think I know how Holmes deduced Clark's farm upbringing in part two: His Gait! Farmers would tend to have a clop-clop-clop way of walking, as opposed to city guys who pracitcally mince across the floor. Clark, having been in the city for some time, would have refined his mannerisms somewhat, but still retain some of that country-boy, working-man posture. Elementary, really! wink

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There certainly seemed nothing remarkable about Mr Kent to me, aside, of course, from his being from the future.
Tee-hee!

And, good job, QOC, for figuring out how Holmes knew that Clark was a farmer! It makes total sense now that you've explained it. Or, as Watson said to Holmes after Holmes explained it, "How absurdly simple!"

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
DW, Part five is on its way in minutes. smile

Cookiesmom and Framework4: Thank you for teaching me more about Charles Dodgson. Framework4, that web page speculating about whether CD was in fact Jack was fascinating. No comments, of course, on how it relates, if at all, to this story.

QoC: Amazing, my dear QoC, amazing!

Iolanthe: Thanks again for BR-ing.

And thanks to all of you for taking the time to read and provide feedback for a newbie writer.

cheers,Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard